Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2011, 19:23   #3556
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Small tip for 4wd Safari owners.

Every now and then you should check if your 4wd is operational. Here's how to do it without having to find an offroad track.

Find a straight piece of normal road. Engage 4H. If light comes on drive about 20-30 ft fwd and feel the steering. When you engage the steering feels heavier and tighter. So I safely assume that 4wd is working. Then disengage 4WD and drive a short distance in reverse to free the hub locks. Repeat same procedure in 4L. In 4L, you can tell immediately if 4wd is working, with the way the vehicle pulls forward. This procedure helps you to know if ur 4wd works or not and doest not cause any damage to the 4wd system since its avery short test.
You could also try this before going in for service, so incase there is an issue you can have it rectified.
Cheers,
Jay
Old 17th July 2011, 19:40   #3557
Senior - BHPian

Did'nt find any relevant thread so asking here, Does anyone knows the cost of a 3.0L DICOR ECU?
Old 17th July 2011, 21:25   #3558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
If light comes on drive about 20-30 ft fwd and feel the steering. When you engage the steering feels heavier and tighter. So I safely assume that 4wd is working. Then disengage 4WD and drive a short distance in reverse to free the hub locks. Repeat same procedure in 4L.
Jay, a small correction. Once you check the 4WD working in high mode, you need not disconnect -- go to 2WD -- again engage 4WD Low -- check. Instead, shift from 4WD High to 4WD Low (vehicle stationary while engaging /4WD Low) and then proceed as per your guidelines.

Loose surface is preferred, if not available limit the vehicle speed while performing these checks on tarmac / hard ground.

Spike
Old 17th July 2011, 21:30   #3559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Did'nt find any relevant thread so asking here, Does anyone knows the cost of a 3.0L DICOR ECU?
Approximately 23k to 25K.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 21:39   #3560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Small tip for 4wd Safari owners.

Every now and then you should check if your 4wd is operational. Here's how to do it without having to find an offroad track.

Find a straight piece of normal road. Engage 4H. If light comes on drive about 20-30 ft fwd and feel the steering. When you engage the steering feels heavier and tighter. So I safely assume that 4wd is working. Then disengage 4WD and drive a short distance in reverse to free the hub locks. Repeat same procedure in 4L. In 4L, you can tell immediately if 4wd is working, with the way the vehicle pulls forward. This procedure helps you to know if ur 4wd works or not and doest not cause any damage to the 4wd system since its avery short test.
You could also try this before going in for service, so incase there is an issue you can have it rectified.
Cheers,
Jay
In my case I use 4WD quite often at my farm, just check in some small ruts and pits, it was working fine till recently, but it failed me on my trip, hence the worry.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:07   #3561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
In my case I use 4WD quite often at my farm, just check in some small ruts and pits, it was working fine till recently, but it failed me on my trip, hence the worry.
Did you check the fuse? I remember Steeriod facing a similar issue ( some switch was kaput). Check his thread too.
Old 18th July 2011, 11:51   #3562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Hello friends, a small advice needed

I just did my 3rd service fir Tata safari GX (2010 model). After taking delivery (Wednesday - June 14) I may have driven the car for hardly 20 kms . On Sunday morning when i switched on the eng the MIL indicator stayed on. I did not realise it and cranked the engine but it still stayed on. Rest there are no indications. I called the TASS and they told me that in case other lights are not on and only MIL light is on then I can drive to the TASS to decode the problem. I did some research in this thread and I have few questions

1>Is it safe to drive to TASS with light on. The TASS must be some 8-10kms from my house. Should I insist that a engineer visits my house. If they refuse what should I do.??
2>I read in this thread that some other friend from this form had the same problem after service. The TASS guys came over to his house and tightened some ECU wiring after which the light went away.
3>I had certain problems with TASS after service. Even on my second service after I got the car my headlights (dipper) went off. When I took out the relay and put it back it functioned well. When I asked TASS they said that while washng some water must have gone in and hence it happend. The put some WD40 for prevention sake. The problem never reoccured. So I was wondering whether this could be the same case of washing as when i took the car deleivery i had to wait as washing was in progress.

Do help me

Regards
In response to my problem, I drove my car to TASS this morning. As I cranked got very low pick up from which i deduced there must be some problem with the injectors.

To my worst fears it came true as when the TASS guy checked the car the wiring had been chewed off by rats, 2 injectors were not working and the fan was direct.

The guys told me that they would repair the wiring after checking and told me a cost of about 500 + tax . They told me not to change the entire wiring as it may cost some 9500INR and it will not be covered. My questions

1>Would it be fine to drive the car with repaired wiring a I have a bad expereince with my Gypsy and often wonder if they miss a wre here or there it may affect performance

2>I am asking this in context because I have a road trip coming up in October with me and my wife from Mumbai to Ooty and back . Secondly I do not want to put in such a huge amount for the sake of it as rats are something you cannot control. I can only change my parking space. The place where I park my buildings watchman cooks food ther and I guess in rainy season the rats may pickup left over crumbs and use my cars hood as shelter. I had some warnings earlier when rat had chewed my washer pipe but I did not pay attention. Second option is to park car in reverse

3>The TASS guys gave me some rat repellent does that work. Any indigenous methods known to you guys. In my earlier car I had always put camphor and tobacco and that worked but never tried here.

4>What should I check when I go to take my car about wiring work and how would I know if they have done a good job.

Please help

Regards
Old 18th July 2011, 12:18   #3563
BHPian

Hi All,

As some of you may know my car's timing belt snapped last Sunday 10th July and damaged some parts withing the engine. Thankfully this happened when my car is still under warranty ( 2nd year currently going on) The problem is that the S.A. tells me that they have put my problem for claiming warranty and forwarded to the TATA's office and until they receive an answer they cannot repair my car. They have all the parts required but until they receive a yes they wont touch my car, Its been over a week and no answer so can anybody point me towards what should I do or does anyone have an email of higher authorities of TATA who can help me solve my problem (please dont give me the customercare address cause that's as useless as TATA A.S.S. guys)
Old 18th July 2011, 12:41   #3564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
close to 40K all inclusive in Hyderabad as of two years back. (My Dicor's ECU short circuited and I got the quote- it was replaced under warranty thouhg)
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 13:46   #3565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hi All,

As some of you may know my car's timing belt snapped last Sunday 10th July and damaged some parts withing the engine. Thankfully this happened when my car is still under warranty ( 2nd year currently going on) The problem is that the S.A. tells me that they have put my problem for claiming warranty and forwarded to the TATA's office and until they receive an answer they cannot repair my car. They have all the parts required but until they receive a yes they wont touch my car, Its been over a week and no answer so can anybody point me towards what should I do or does anyone have an email of higher authorities of TATA who can help me solve my problem (please dont give me the customercare address cause that's as useless as TATA A.S.S. guys)
get the contact number of Tata Motors regional office, and speak to the customer service engineer there.. he can probably swing something.
Old 19th July 2011, 08:08   #3566
sarcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post
Second option is to park car in reverse
Could you explain what this means and how it may help ?

Old 19th July 2011, 09:03   #3567
Senior - BHPian

@JK
Quote:
Did you check the fuse? I remember Steeriod facing a similar issue ( some switch was kaput). Check his thread too.
JK, I did check for fuse blowout, funny thing is I did not find a fuse for 4wd operation in the 2 fuse boxes I checked, any idea where else Tata would have hidden the fuse?
Old 19th July 2011, 11:15   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
J I did not find a fuse for 4wd operation in the 2 fuse boxes I checked, any idea where else Tata would have hidden the fuse?
There is some ECU thingy under the driver's seat in my VX. Not sure what is it, but, looks like may be the transfer case ECU /fuse setup. Try it.

EDIT- checked user manual. Indeed it is transfer case ECU (page #131 of user manual PDF).

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 19th July 2011 at 11:32.
Old 19th July 2011, 13:27   #3569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
Could you explain what this means and how it may help ?
Hello

My car parking area is bang under a mango tree and the mangoes fall directly on the windshield base and I think sometimes the rats may get an easy access to them and do "all night party" under the spacious hood of safari

maybe illogical lekin as they say "doodh ka jala chaaz bhi phook phook ke peeta hain"
Old 19th July 2011, 18:30   #3570
BHPian

I have an electrical question.
Which wire in the vehicle is hot ONLY when the engine is running. Not when the key is in first (when the music system works) or second (when dashboard indicators come up)or the springy third (where the engine cranks) on position . I need a wire which is hot only when the engine is running.
I need this for a GPS tracker application. There will be no meaningful load on the line. I just need a wire which has some (any voltage) when engine is running and no voltage (fully cold) when engine is not running, irrespective of the vehicles electrical switched on or off situation.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Last edited by sen2009 : 19th July 2011 at 18:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks