Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 18:36   #4006
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
The reversing camera with the mounting plate was found missing last week. It was either removed or fell off the vehicle.
Does anyone know the part number of the OEM camera & how much this would cost to replace?
I would have to get a new plate/shield & have that painted silver too.
Its called the tow hook cover + the reverse camera. Plastic Cover without paint costs some Rs70 + tax but camera would definitely be a costly affair.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 19:00   #4007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Loose belt noise can be really loud. If this is a screeching noise in cold engine, then it is belt noise. Generally they are lazy to correct it because it does not get them much labor/part cost. They are happy to shrug it off. Faced it a lot in my new safari. They finally corrected it, when i said, start in morning on cold engine and figure out the problem. Else i will escalate.
Looks like belt noise only. There is no further noise for the last 2-3 days.
Old 30th December 2011, 19:39   #4008
BHPian

Quote:
The reversing camera with the mounting plate was found missing last week. It was either removed or fell off the vehicle.
Does anyone know the part number of the OEM camera & how much this would cost to replace?
Don't know the OEM cost, but reverse camera bought from after market would be 1000 Rs.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 20:24   #4009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too had lost the plate during an OTR but luckily I did not have the camera installed then (vehicle was a month old), the plate itself costs about 150 bucks, camera is best purchased aftermarket.

In order to prevent accidental fall of the plate, I have now sealed it from behind using a water proof silcone sealent, same technique is used on the threaded rear part of camera so that it becomes water proof too, yes, removing it later would be a pain.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 09:52   #4010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra
Hello, Update on my issue

The guys at TASC checked the wires the glow plug but unable to find the problem. They said the problem could be due to faulty sensor but they said they may have to check each wire on the multimeter. Since I had to go back home they told me not to worry and get it done at a TASC near me.

Now to report the problem again ............. Since the light comes up when clutch is engaged more has it got something to do with it. I inquired this with TASC and they answered negative.
Update to this issue

I decided not to go in haste to TASS and run the car for considerable days to see if any issue crop up. MY observations as follows

The lamp comes and goes on its own and has nothing to do with heat assembly as indicated. However one thing I precisely noticed is that it has something to do with clutch operation

Few days back I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. The light was on before I hit the traffics. I had to operate first gear and neutral many times and during this process the light went off and came back in intervals. It finally went off and I did not see it for next 3 days on regular operation. However it came back again .

There is no problem at all in any aspect of car running. Everything goes smooth. However that light keeps irritating the brain. I do not want to let TASS do RND with my car. They said that if they cannot fix or isolate the problem they will change the entire wiring harness. However one supervisor earlier had told me when I had a rat attack to my car that company fitted wiring and one done at TASS has much difference and hence it's always better to stick with company wiring as much as possible.

So technical gurus, your advice

1) Is this any issue I could trouble shoot myself??
2) you recommend I go to TASS. I just completed my one year free service this August so next service would be around August next year.??
3) Do you think I should let the car run more, take some long trips and see if this phantom problem evolves into a confirmatory one so ,it would be easier for TASS to evaluate.??
4) If I do go late to TASS and they say that wiring change is only option would it be covered under warranty. Will they say since you had this problem from so long and you have come late so probably you won't be covered for it (just a doubt) ??

Would be highly grateful to get your comments and ideas on this niggle from so many days.

Best Regards and a very happy new year in advance to all the amazing people here who have made car buying and ownership so easy and stress free

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our small screen and mobile users. Thanks !

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd January 2012 at 13:27.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:15   #4011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its called the tow hook cover + the reverse camera. Plastic Cover without paint costs some Rs70 + tax but camera would definitely be a costly affair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
Don't know the OEM cost, but reverse camera bought from after market would be 1000 Rs.
I spoke to a Tata mechanic & he says that it would be upwards of 13K. I can only hope he was talking about the entire setup & not just the camera!

Another question: Will any camera work? I would like to use the existing setup in my VX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I too had lost the plate during an OTR but luckily I did not have the camera installed then (vehicle was a month old), the plate itself costs about 150 bucks, camera is best purchased aftermarket.

In order to prevent accidental fall of the plate, I have now sealed it from behind using a water proof silcone sealent, same technique is used on the threaded rear part of camera so that it becomes water proof too, yes, removing it later would be a pain.
After that I started noticing that every 4th or 5th Safari had that cover/plate missing. You were right in sealing it!
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:46   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Need help with AC. Felt it wasnt efficient last day and even at night on blower setting at 2!

What all should I get checked?

And any idea how much would it cost for changing all shock absorbers ?
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:57   #4013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I have now sealed it from behind using a water proof silcone sealent, same technique is used on the threaded rear part of camera so that it becomes water proof too, yes, removing it later would be a pain.
Not really. If you have used Anabond /similar, then you can always cut away the sealant with a blade.
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:18   #4014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodhra View Post

2) you recommend I go to TASS. I just completed my one year free service this August so next service would be around August next year.??
3) Do you think I should let the car run more, take some long trips and see if this phantom problem evolves into a confirmatory one so ,it would be easier for TASS to evaluate.??
4) If I do go late to TASS and they say that wiring change is only option would it be covered under warranty. Will they say since you had this problem from so long and you have come late so probably you won't be covered for it (just a doubt) ??

Would be highly grateful to get your comments and ideas on this niggle from so many days.
Lodhra, ask TASS to hook up the Laptop and review the errors logged in the ECU. It will give an indication of what is wrong. Based on this you can decide the solution.

If the error is related to sensors, it will be difficult to diagnose.

cheers!
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:35   #4015
BHPian

Quote:
Update to this issue

Best Regards and a very happy new year in advance to all the amazing people here who have made car buying and ownership so easy and stress free
1) It is an intermittent problem which requires some time to eliminate probable suspects one after the other. If you have the time and technical knowledge - Yes - it is doable.

2) It is not always essential that you need to abide by the time scale. You can go earlier - if you have any issues. If you have some issues for which you make a trip to the TASS now or sooner than August, you can opt out to do the service and wait for the annual maintenance period to complete the service.

3 ) Yes.

4) In the earlier visit when the problem manifested, you would have complained about this issue. It would have entered into their computerized record. If it was marked as unresolved, you can avail of the warranty to get the wiring harness renewed within the warranty period. But it is essential that the problem is registered in their records and marked as unresolved. From my experience, Tata Motors are proactive in resolving issues. I went for brake judder and they marked it as resolved. But I wrote that the problem was not resolved. Within a day, I got a call from Mumbai office to bring the car back to resolve the issue. I asked for the front brake disks to be changed which they refused saying that the problem was resolved and the disks were within specification.

When I went for a long drive, actually I found that the problem was resolved.
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:30   #4016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini

Lodhra, ask TASS to hook up the Laptop and review the errors logged in the ECU. It will give an indication of what is wrong. Based on this you can decide the solution.

If the error is related to sensors, it will be difficult to diagnose.

cheers!
Hello , yes they had hooked it up and found problem with heater assembly. They checked all wires , reset the ECU changed the glow timer but still problem came up. They told me that they need to open harness and check each wire but told me that since the car has run with the lamp on and off for almost 1500km it must be something related to sensors.

I did not have time to wait as I had gone there to get my OVRM changed so they told me to take the car and show it o a TASS near my house.

However it's pain to go to the TASS every time and since the previous guys had already taken like 4 hours to find the problem and did not have a clue I was of the opinion that even the TASS near my house would only do RND till the find something and I did not want my perfectly running car to be faulted as it has happened many times in past with TASS in case of resolving issues they are not familiar with

So I put up my observations which I am sure are either to do with some sensors or clutch operation and hoping you people could give me some headers
I am planning to take another long trip maybe go to mahablsehwar and see what happens then but I am sure apart from the light coming on and off as it was on my trip back to Mumbai from Mysore nothing would happen

The problem in simple words is like the "WINDOWS NOT GENUINE" error, it lets you operate without a problem , gives you all updates yet irritatingly is seen or pasted on your desktop

@prowler
Thanks a lot for your advice. However I would still like to know your expert opinion on my observations regarding clutch operation

With my short operational history with this problem for almost 2 months what are your thoughts

1) wiring short
2) sensor problem
3) or maybe a thing I am overlooking.

Regards

Last edited by lodhra : 2nd January 2012 at 16:34.
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:55   #4017
BHPian

Quote:
With my short operational history with this problem for almost 2 months what are your thoughts

1) wiring short
2) sensor problem
3) or maybe a thing I am overlooking.

Regards
Going through all your messages, it seems highly possible that the fault is likely to be an intermittent connection. Look at it this way: A sensor is unlikely to fail in that mode. Most normal electronic components fail drastically - either they become open circuit or become shorted.

Wires in an automobile need to be multi stranded for a reason. A single core wire has a high possibility of breaking due to vibration than a multi core wire of the same current carrying capacity. A faulty wiring harness or a dubious connector may throw such symptoms and it is difficult to arrive at any firm conclusion.

Can you bring on the fault condition in a stationary mode ? If it is possible, you can try flexing the wires to different sensors and observe if it brings it on.
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:25   #4018
Senior - BHPian

@lodhra,

1) How are you sure that the service light is coming because of the same problem faced earlier ( ref. the heater assy change etc. ,).

2) When you are not able to reproduce the problem at will, then how can you troubleshoot by yourself ? are there any other indications ?

My recommendation would be to get the car checked at TASS once more with the diagnostic laptop. Make note of the code, if it happens again, Confirm if the same error is reported or something else.

If it is the same error, then the TASS can review the repairs / replacements done earlier to fix and take care of the rest of the issues e.g. wiring harness replacement.

TASS is mandated to use genuine TATA spares, so it should not be different than what is used on the assembly line.

You can visit TASS as many times as required for any kind of repairs in the warranty period. They should take the free service coupons based on the kms done. you can always choose not to get the free service done at a particular time, as long as it is within the given intervals.

Troubleshooting can sometimes be a iterative process, and fixing the problem can require changing one part at a time.

cheers!
Srini
Old 4th January 2012, 23:46   #4019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini
@lodhra,

1) How are you sure that the service light is coming because of the same problem faced earlier ( ref. the heater assy change etc. ,).

2) When you are not able to reproduce the problem at will, then how can you troubleshoot by yourself ? are there any other indications ?

My recommendation would be to get the car checked at TASS once more with the diagnostic laptop. Make note of the code, if it happens again, Confirm if the same error is reported or something else.

If it is the same error, then the TASS can review the repairs / replacements done earlier to fix and take care of the rest of the issues e.g. wiring harness replacement.

TASS is mandated to use genuine TATA spares, so it should not be different than what is used on the assembly line.

You can visit TASS as many times as required for any kind of repairs in the warranty period. They should take the free service coupons based on the kms done. you can always choose not to get the free service done at a particular time, as long as it is within the given intervals.

Troubleshooting can sometimes be a iterative process, and fixing the problem can require changing one part at a time.

cheers!
Srini
Thanks Srini, probably will give Tass one more go and see what they say. I have a trip to mahableshwar his month so was in a fix whether to give car before or after as the trip as I o not k ow how much time their troubleshooting may take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler

Going through all your messages, it seems highly possible that the fault is likely to be an intermittent connection. Look at it this way: A sensor is unlikely to fail in that mode. Most normal electronic components fail drastically - either they become open circuit or become shorted.

Wires in an automobile need to be multi stranded for a reason. A single core wire has a high possibility of breaking due to vibration than a multi core wire of the same current carrying capacity. A faulty wiring harness or a dubious connector may throw such symptoms and it is difficult to arrive at any firm conclusion.

Can you bring on the fault condition in a stationary mode ? If it is possible, you can try flexing the wires to different sensors and observe if it brings it on.

@prowler , bro you have been very helpful. As said the problem with light is that it being a phantom occurrence it troubles me whether it is coming from same problem or another. However the pattern is the same all time. It won't come up early morning at first drive. The moment I stop say a market/ gym and restart he car the problem comes immediately sometimes a few seconds after cranking up even if the engine is cold. In the subsequent drive it goes and comes which I have co-related or narrowed down to clutch operation (I also crank my car each time as per manual by depressing the clutch) . The light problem will remain through the day. However as I had observed if i do run the car with light for long periods it will go and may not show up for 2-3 days
The problem arises mostly when the car is run for short intervals like say house to gym (4 km) house to work (1km). However if I run the car for long distance or time (say in a traffic jam) it comes and goes and sometimes may not occur for 2-3 days till agin my daily routine of short interval drive commences.

To answer your question yes the fault once arrived would remain even if car is stopped( excuse my ignorance but that's what I understood when u said if I can bring the problem to stationery mode) . This was also replicated at TASS on previous visit where they took 4 hrs checked all wires manually but could not sledge the problem and hence said they may have to check each wire on multimeter.

My second trouble is that my car previously had rat attacks which was repaired at TASS. Now if they have to change harness I fear they may say that because of rat attacks the wiring may have spoilt somewhere and hence annoy be covered in warranty, To be true after wiring repair my car had run almost 2000km without any problem before this happened,

To recollect exact situation and why I relate to this problem because it came up as soon as the bike hit my car on the OVRM. My wife was on the wheel and she had depressed the clutch and brake in panic of upcoming bike when she pressed the horn as she recollects and the moment the OVRM broke the light appeared on the cluster.( the car was on with ac during this time and on handbrake)
After this when I restarted the car the light went off but came back agin. I travelled back to Mumbai almost 1000km with this light coming on and off without any problem to car . However the light use to come precisely on clutch operations (at toll booths)

Hope the TASS can help me.

Regards

Last edited by lodhra : 5th January 2012 at 00:02.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:55   #4020
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
I spoke to a Tata mechanic & he says that it would be upwards of 13K. I can only hope he was talking about the entire setup & not just the camera!

Another question: Will any camera work? I would like to use the existing setup in my VX.

After that I started noticing that every 4th or 5th Safari had that cover/plate missing. You were right in sealing it!
As far as my knowledge goes, just any camera wont fit.
The aftermarket setup has a digitiser which is not the same as Tata
The Tata OEM camera pins wont fit on aftermarket digitiser..
Not sure if things have changed now but that how it was in 2009

I bought my Safari in Oct 2006 and wanted a OEM camera setup. The whole equipment - IRVM with The camera was quoted at Rs 35,000 by Concorde Hyderabad. A good Aftermarket camera itself costs about Rs 2500 so if Tata asks Rs 13,000 for it, I will believe them...though its outrageous.

I remember one of my friends having a spare OEM camera. He bought it for his Safari 2.2 LX in 2009 and it did not fit hence lying idle.

The camera is new itself which he managed to arrange somehow...he did not steal I am sure :-)...

Let me know/PM me if you think you wanna buy it

EDIT: And yes, I found the part details:

Part #: 269954219991.

Part Name: CCD CAMERA-CBB 808-REV.GUIDE.
Cost: Rs 12,876 Plus Tax :-)
Source of this info - look around in this thread and you will find a sheet with tata spare parts and prices

Rajeev

Last edited by rajismine : 5th January 2012 at 12:02.
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks