Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 16:02   #31
BHPian

Palio MJD Insurance renewal time

Hi Friends,

My Palio MJD is a year old now,never realized how time flew.

Time to get a insurance renewal done by 25th April,i had to take ICICI Lombard while buying did nit get any choice as it was coupled with the car loan.

Which is the best insurance company to go for for effort less claim settlement and great service.

Any suggestions will be welcome and appreciated.

Regards
Amar Prusty
Old 30th March 2009, 18:45   #32
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
Hi Friends,

My Palio MJD is a year old now,never realized how time flew.

Time to get a insurance renewal done by 25th April,i had to take ICICI Lombard while buying did nit get any choice as it was coupled with the car loan.

Which is the best insurance company to go for for effort less claim settlement and great service.

Any suggestions will be welcome and appreciated.

Regards
Amar Prusty
Dude, United India has worked well for me these past 10 years.
Old 30th March 2009, 18:45   #33
Ice
BHPian

Its back. Or, it never went anywhere. The AC still freezes up after a hour or so of running, and then the "turn-off-the-compressor, prepare for wet feet, and restart compressor" routine has to be resorted to.

Took it to VST Motors in Madras, and they agreed to change the thermostat and expansion valve under warranty. Only issue: parts weren't in stock, and I would have had to leave the car back in Chennai for a week or so.

Solution: Put the VST service adviser on the phone with Zaakir at Prerana, and ask him to explain what Prerana needed to do to fix this problem. Prerana has ordered for the parts, and they're due in 10 days. And the wait continues.
Old 31st March 2009, 09:49   #34
BHPian

Claim Settlement time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Dude, United India has worked well for me these past 10 years.
How is the claim settlement and service for United India as compared to private players
Old 31st March 2009, 19:48   #35
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
How is the claim settlement and service for United India as compared to private players
To be honest with you, I've tried a private player only for one car that I have owned - Tata AIG. Clean relationship from beginning to end, but I didn't have a reason to file a claim with them when I held the policy. Relationship-wise, they are pretty honest and transparent.

United India's claim settlement is fairly quick (3 weeks is the longest I've had to wait, and 1 week the shortest), and they have a great relationship with most companies' Authorized Service Centers. Also, they have a huge employee base, so things like taking photographs of your vehicle, etc. are done very quickly (same day or next day). The third reason I would suggest them is that they don't try to nickle and dime you - what you see is what you get. They don't ask you to lug accident parts to their office to prove replacement, etc. (This happened to a friend of mine insured by New India Assurance - he had to take his Esteem's damaged bonnet to their office!)
Old 17th June 2009, 15:12   #36
Ice
BHPian

Brake Warning

For the last week, Forza's brake oil warning light has been coming on during hard acceleration. I mean the light that looks something like this: (!)

I checked the brake oil level and its barely above minimum. My guess: during hard acceleration, the level shifts ever so slightly, triggering off the warning. The oil looks clean and healthy, though.

The car was serviced at 14k kms., and is now at 18500 km. This is the first time that I've had to refill any of the fluids in the car (except the windshield washer fluid of course). I called up Prerana and they told me to replace the brake pads! At 18,500???? Its scheduled for the 22,500 service, which is a good 4,000 km. away. Braking is still 100%, and there is no squeeking sound from the brakes. My limited experience tells me that Prerana is out for some Vit-M from my pocket.

Questions to the forum:
1. Do I just refill the oil using DOT4 oil? Or should I haul her in for a look-see at Prerana?

2. Reverse has also become a little difficult to engage, especially once the car has been running for a while. Nothing serious,though. I was wondering whether the clutch's hydraulic efficiency would have been impacted by the lower oil level?
Old 17th June 2009, 16:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

the the brake / clutch oil level is low.

you can simply top it up with DOT4 brake oil.

you were right about the low level of oil triggering the warning. check for leakages near the rear drums.
Old 17th June 2009, 18:48   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
For the last week, Forza's brake oil warning light has been coming on during hard acceleration. I mean the light that looks something like this: (!)

I checked the brake oil level and its barely above minimum. My guess: during hard acceleration, the level shifts ever so slightly, triggering off the warning. The oil looks clean and healthy, though.

The car was serviced at 14k kms., and is now at 18500 km. This is the first time that I've had to refill any of the fluids in the car (except the windshield washer fluid of course). I called up Prerana and they told me to replace the brake pads! At 18,500???? Its scheduled for the 22,500 service, which is a good 4,000 km. away. Braking is still 100%, and there is no squeeking sound from the brakes. My limited experience tells me that Prerana is out for some Vit-M from my pocket.

Questions to the forum:
1. Do I just refill the oil using DOT4 oil? Or should I haul her in for a look-see at Prerana?

2. Reverse has also become a little difficult to engage, especially once the car has been running for a while. Nothing serious,though. I was wondering whether the clutch's hydraulic efficiency would have been impacted by the lower oil level?

I think quite a few people faced this problem , me included. For me the fluid was leaking. It was fixed in the fourth service but its reappeared again after 3k kms :(

Previously the resevoir was almost dry when I checked, This time Its well above minimum but the warning light has still come on

Would recommend that you take the car in, maybe at Concorde to get a second opinion but do get it checked. I wasnt able to source DOT4 at regular lubricant shops easily so its less of a hassle to get it from TASS

Last edited by bottle : 17th June 2009 at 18:49.
Old 9th February 2010, 14:26   #39
Ice
BHPian

Possibly serious issue - need your advice

My car's recently completed 35000 kms., most of it on the highway. It's been pretty problem-free, and I've not faced any major issues....till yesterday.

Actually, let me step back and tell you what happened 2 weeks ago. On the weekend of the 23rd (Jan), I was driving from Bangalore to Kumbakonam via Salem, Namakkal, Trichy, and Thanjavur. I left Bangalore around 5 AM, and the car was brilliant. But between Namakkal and Trichy, I felt the acceleration fade completely. The symptoms:

- The engine took thrice the usual time to rev till 2000 rpm
- The turbo did not kick in
- The engine refused to rev over 3200 rpm
- Speed maxed out around 90 kmph (which was achieved with great difficulty)
- No warning lights flared up

Buses and trucks were overtaking me with ease suddenly. So I pulled over and disconnected and reconnected the Pete's box lead to the engine, and disconnected and reconnected the battery. My initial suspicion was that the Pete's was responsible - being an after-market item, it is cursed with being the prime suspect in case of trouble.

After the disconnect and reconnect, the car was perfectly ok. Since then, I have driven ~ 2,000 km. on it (again, mostly on the highway) with no issues whatsoever.

Until yesterday....

driving from Madras early in the morning, the car was in fine fettle. I had pretty much forgotten about the issue mentioned in the para above. Then, as I was over-taking a truck on the Krishnagiri-Hosur stretch. At 80 (when I normally shift to fourth), the acceleration suddenly disappeared. It's as if the car was suddenly mired in quicksand. All the symptoms mentioned above were exhibited again, and I was convinced that a disconnect/reconnect would fix it. But it didn't. I then disconnected the Pete's box and connected the stock ECU lead to the engine, but to no avail.

I limped back to Bangalore, and headed straight to Prerana on OMR. I waited there for 4 hours while they checked the car out thoroughly.

Diagnosis 1:
Water in the fuel tank. So they flushed the tank and took it for a test drive, but the problem still remained.

Diagnosis 2: ECU issues. They reset the ECU, but the problem persisted.

Diagnosis 3: (current hypothesis) Turbo failure. They've dismantled the turbo and are examining it as I type this. I'll keep this thread updated on the outcome of their examination.

I don't think Diagnoses 1 and 3 hold water (pardon the pun). Here's why:

1. Why did the first occurrence of this issue get sorted with the disconnect/reconnect if it was a fuel/turbo issue?

2. With mechanical issues, does an engine that is performing perfectly one moment just lose it's power without any external symptoms? (no smoke from the engine or tailpipe, no warning lights or sounds, no mechanical grinding or sudden loud sound, no change in other parameters such as engine temp, oil pressure, etc.)

Thoughts? I'm VERY desperate, and very upset with all this.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

What about the air filter? did they check the filter?

I don't that there is any problem with the ECU since the car behaved abnormal with / without the Pete's box / OE ECU. what about the wires / connectors to the ecu / petes box??
Old 9th February 2010, 19:07   #41
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
What about the air filter? did they check the filter?

I don't that there is any problem with the ECU since the car behaved abnormal with / without the Pete's box / OE ECU. what about the wires / connectors to the ecu / petes box??
The air filter's fine, and all the leads to and from the ECU are also ok. I just visited Prerana, and the prognosis is not good - the turbo is busted. The fins on the intake valve are bent out of shape. I seriously don't know how this happened! And at 35,000 km!

Prerana's ordered a new turbo (it's identical to the one on the Punto, so should reach Bangalore quickly). I wanted to get at the ECU memory bank to see what error message had popped up when the engine went limp, but they refuse to access the ECU since the turbo has now been removed (I'm guessing they need to start the engine to access the memory bank)

Will keep this thread updated. Why me, Fiat?!
Old 10th February 2010, 19:16   #42
BHPian

Hey !

Thats definitely a Air filter.

My MJD has completed 32000kms and even I faced exactly the same problem. But my problem got fixed as soon as I got air filter cleaned and later moved to the new air filter.

The problem has never come back again.

My problem was 5th gear, rpm up around 3200rpm and speed of little above 120kmph, the car became jerky and refused to accelerate further.

Just noticed the rpms, they are again almost identical.
Old 11th February 2010, 00:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

@Ice... even if it is the turbo, atleast you're under warranty.

This is the first case of turbo failure I am coming across on the MJD although have heard many cases in the Swift DDIS. I have seen a seized MJD engine here at Elegant though.

While they're ordering the new turbo, is it possible to re-fit the older one with a new air filter and check? As Bubby says, it could be a problem.

Even I have faced momentary lack of power on 2-3 occasions and a full-on stalling on one occassion, all in 5th gear at 1800-2000 RPM, but its never happenned again, so it could be an air-filter issue.
Old 11th February 2010, 10:48   #44
Ice
BHPian

Update - All O.K. for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
@Ice... even if it is the turbo, atleast you're under warranty.
Even I have faced momentary lack of power on 2-3 occasions and a full-on stalling on one occassion, all in 5th gear at 1800-2000 RPM, but its never happenned again, so it could be an air-filter issue.
Architect: The air and fuel filters were changed after the fuel tank was drained (Diagnosis #1 - Water in the tank). No change in performance.

Update:
Took the car for a test drive last night with the new turbo in place. It's FLYING! Things seem normal now. I guess I owe Prerana an apology for doubting their suspicions regarding the turbo.

Now that I think about it, there was a whistling sound emanating from the engine between 3000 and 4000 rpm. This sound - according to HRag, is a sure indication of a work turbo bearing, or a leak. With the new turbo, there is no whistling sound.

I get the car back today, after the 37500 km service. Will be driving to Madras tomorrow or on Saturday, so should be able to tell if she's completely fixed.

Many thanks to Hrag for all the advice and assistance!
My thanks
Old 11th February 2010, 10:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Oops! Editted.

Thanks for the update Ice.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 11th February 2010 at 10:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks