Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 12:14   #106
BANNED

Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Hi,
This is to notify to current owners of Palio MJD in TBHP that the issue of MJD clutch is being taken up with FIAT in PUG (PalioUsersIndia : PalioUsersIndia ) forum.
It's well known that there are clutch issues with Palio but the problem is particularly severe in MJDs and there have been innumerable complaints on this forum and PUG about the same. The typical symptoms are-
1. Hard clutch
2. Frequent repairs of mc/sc of clutch.
3. Bad pain in left knee as a result of bad clutch.
4. Gears getting stuck and that too particularly reverse gear.

I request all those who have/had the above issues in their MJD to login to PUG and state your problem. There is already a list of owners facing this issue which was prepared and was sent to Fiat sale & service and TATA. If there are more people suffering due to the above we would want to add them too in the list.

Thanks,
Zaks
Old 16th March 2011, 10:25   #107
BHPian

Fiat Palio MJD -Tyre & Shockabsorber change-advise please

My MJD has done 51k km and now the stock Goodyears 165/80/R13s need replacement.Am planning for Michelin XM1+ 185/70/R13 at 3550/ per Tyre here in Hyderabad.
Also,the Shockabsorbers need to be replaced due to bad roads.
Any Idea about COFAP shocks - quoted 8k for 4 without covers and bushes which are additional 500/ and 650/ resp. in KAVA Automobiles ,mumbai.
I think the lower/upper arms for the suspension and the Tie rod ends should be Ok with just the bushes to be replaced.
The budget for both tyre and shocks is 30k including labour.
Is the proposal good? Kindly advise on what to look out for.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:44   #108
Senior - BHPian

Alton, 185/70/R13 is a good upgrade on stock steel wheels for the MJD. I have been using that size since April 2009: First on Yoko A-drives and now on Michelin XM1+. The Yokos were a shade more comfortable than XM1+, but they had to be replaced due to too many punctures and bulging. The Michelins, OTOH, complain of pieces of tread breaking off towards the end of their lifespan.

Why are you replacing shockers? Are you replacing all of them? My car has done 62,000 km and the only suspension change is one shocker mounting. I suggest you take a second opinion on that one as to exactly which components need changing.
Old 16th March 2011, 17:53   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Alton, 185/70/R13 is a good upgrade on stock steel wheels for the MJD. ..... The Michelins, OTOH, complain of pieces of tread breaking off towards the end of their lifespan.

Why are you replacing shockers? Are you replacing all of them? ...... I suggest you take a second opinion on that one as to exactly which components need changing.
Thanks Architect for feedback and suggestion.So,Michelin should be good .All the shocks need replacement due to bad roads on the AP/Orissa border towns.Though carefully driven,they have become weak and the car shudders over even road rubble,small potholes etc.Heaving forward and wallowing is another factor which indicates weak shocks.Rear Passengers feel the thumps .how about COFAP shocks??Any how I'll go for re-examination.

Last edited by Alton : 16th March 2011 at 18:05. Reason: typo error
Old 16th March 2011, 18:59   #110
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio MJD -Tyre & Shockabsorber change-advise please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
Am planning for Michelin XM1+ 185/70/R13 at 3550/ per Tyre here in Hyderabad.
Yesterday I bought 4 XM1+ of the size mentioned from Reliance Autozone for Rs. 4350. Wheels at Tadbund, Secunderabad, quoted Rs 4300. I wonder where do you buy at Rs 3550?
Old 17th March 2011, 11:49   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Yesterday I bought 4 XM1+ of the size mentioned from Reliance Autozone for Rs. 4350. Wheels at Tadbund, Secunderabad, quoted Rs 4300. I wonder where do you buy at Rs 3550?
Got the price after haggling a bit with current tyre exchange from Mr.Mohammed,beside Mehdi Function hall and Woodbridge hotel ,Lakdikapul.
Dont remember the Shop name though its the only one on that road.!!
Maybe as he was cribbing ,from next week the rates will be increased and he was offering me DEC'2010 Mfg Tyres!
If I delay this Week ,maybe I too will be charged 4300/Tyre!!!!!
Got to rush to get this Scoop pricing!!!
Old 25th March 2011, 15:23   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi,
This is to notify to current owners of Palio MJD in TBHP that the issue of MJD clutch is being taken up with FIAT in PUG (PalioUsersIndia : PalioUsersIndia ) forum.
It's well known that there are clutch issues with Palio but the problem is particularly severe in MJDs and there have been innumerable complaints on this forum and PUG about the same. The typical symptoms are-
1. Hard clutch

I request all those who have/had the above issues in their MJD to login to PUG and state your problem. There is already a list of owners facing this issue which was prepared and was sent to Fiat sale & service and TATA. If there are more people suffering due to the above we would want to add them too in the list.

Thanks,
Zaks
Good news , with regard to the above matter, PUG has successfully negotiated the issue with Fiat and they have agreed to replace the clutch free of cost as a goodwill gesture. Contact your nearest A.S.S and also send a mail to - customercare@tatamotors.com; service@fiapl.com and explain your problem. They will in turn the give the approval to A.S.S.
I got mine changed a few days back at Concorde motors.
Old 29th March 2011, 07:38   #113
BHPian

Hi,
I have been enjoying driving the Palio stile SDX for more than 50,000 Kms. Since yesterday the gears have become hard and its difficult to change the gears. The clutch feels very spongy since this issue.

HAs anybody else on the forum faced the same issue? What did the FIAT A.S.S do to rectify the problem and at what cost?

I have read Mr.Zaks post. and like wise will be sending a mail to the respective customer care emails.

Hope like Mr.zak they consider this case, and replace the clutch free of cost as a goodwill gesture.

Dr. Abdul Messiah.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:52   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
Hi,
I have been enjoying driving the Palio stile SDX for more than 50,000 Kms. Since yesterday the gears have become hard and its difficult to change the gears. The clutch feels very spongy since this issue.

HAs anybody else on the forum faced the same issue? What did the FIAT A.S.S do to rectify the problem and at what cost?

I have read Mr.Zaks post. and like wise will be sending a mail to the respective customer care emails.

Hope like Mr.zak they consider this case, and replace the clutch free of cost as a goodwill gesture.

Dr. Abdul Messiah.
Just came back from the TATA A.S.S Marina Motors in Calicut. They checked the system and found out that the the brake and clutch fluid was the Dot 3. This was filled by Skyhigh motors during the last service.The people at marina flushed out the DOT 3 from the system flushed t with another cleaning agent and then filled it with DOT4.
I drove the car for 50 km after DOT 4 was put. Now everything seems normal.

I hope it works fine. In the mean time I got a email from the customer relations office. They asked me to get in touch with the the regional head and they will do the needful.

As of now trhe clutch issue was a very simple problem . Marina Motors rectified it.

Thank you
Old 29th March 2011, 23:12   #115
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see your problem resolved DrMessiah! From the likes of your previous post, I was almost sure your clutch wouldn't have been replaced under any kind of extended warranty, given the kilometres you've covered.

My car has 63000 km already and three years is a week away. Had to replace noisy clutch bearings, but, otherwise, ALL IZZ WELL!
Old 13th April 2011, 12:06   #116
BHPian

Quote:
... I was almost sure your clutch wouldn't have been replaced under any kind of extended warranty, given the kilometres you've covered....
Dear Architect, kindly give your take on this. If the Extended Warranty is valid till August 2011,and the vehicle has done 53k ,will the clutch replacement under warranty be accepted by TASS? Guess the clutch plates will be worn down,but the rest of unit still carries warranty.Will TASS or FIAT India replace ? Please advise.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:21   #117
BANNED

Does this problem rise with the Linea MJD 2011 model too??
Old 20th April 2011, 14:06   #118
BHPian

Hi,

This seems a few months old but is there any movement from Fiat on this issue? I have developed a backache in one side of my lower back and I realised it was indeed because of the hard clutch on my car.

I tried going to Pandit Auto and they said they carried out "clutch-bleeding" and they also charged me for it. After the process, nothing changed...its still the same.

-Ganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi,
1. Hard clutch

Thanks,
Zaks
Old 30th April 2011, 14:46   #119
Senior - BHPian

Ganesh, I would advise you follow up regarding the free replacement of clutch kit by Fiat by sending an email to the IDs mentioned.

Even if that doesn't work out, I suggest you bite the bullet and get a new clutch kit (with the modified design) by paying for it. It is not worth it injuring your lower back by waiting for Fiat to give you an FOC clutch kit. I know it is sad and frustrating, but at the end of the day, health is wealth.
Old 26th May 2011, 16:56   #120

Quote:
It's the AC condensate drain pipe under the dashboard in the left side in the passenger seat foot well. This pipe either comes out of it's hole (from where it drains out below) or it gets clogged and water spurts into the passenger cabin. It happenned to me last summer. Just find it (it's deep inside on the left side under the dashboard), clean it and put it back well into the hole on the floor.

Your carpet is not ruined. Just dry it in the hot sun with the doors open and give the car a good vacuuming. I had severe flooding last summer and my carpet's not spoilt at all. The carpet is made of synthetic (nylon) fibre most likely, so don't think it will be spoilt.
The infamous Leak has struck/sprung again.
Last evening, I had to drive to my wife's school to pick her up. It has been very hot and dusty for a few days and as such the car was very dirty so I washed my palio down and gave the tyres a good scrub. As is often the result of such unconsidered, foolhardy actions, inevitably, as soon as I hit the road it started raining. Upon getting back home I discovered that the front passenger side floor well carpet was soaked, sopping wet. I initially berated my wife for being careless with her bottle of filtered water and letting it leak all over the carpeting,
"Why can't you be more careful with where you put your bottle, it's gone and soaked the whole floor and mat and the car will be all humid and dank and smelly..." so on and so forth until I was cut short by her icy stare,
"I did not take the bottle with me today." she informed me tersely, I am still in trouble on that front, will be for quite a while and I do not think all the advice on all of T-BHP can help me. Other factors, like leaking beading, going through a puddle, were also considered and rejected. This left me royally scratching my head wondering about poltergeists and other paranormal phenomena.
However, the piece of advice in the quote above has been spot on and has solved the mystery. Thank you Architect, I remembered reading something on this issue while discussing the leak with someone and ran immediately to the PC and searched the known issues thread, et voila! here it is, the condensate pipe. I think it had come loose or something, I have unplugged it, cleaned it and set it back again, let's see how it goes now. Also, many thanks to Alton for the great pic of the pipe, helped me get to it immediately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks