Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2013, 14:38   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Unfortunately she didn't notice the temp indicator in the red zone within about 25kms and had continued driving. Hope there would be no long term damage..
The ECU is designed to switch off the engine when temperature reaches too high and stays there.
Old 11th April 2013, 15:37   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post

The ECU is designed to switch off the engine when temperature reaches too high and stays there.
And thankfully so!

Got my car back yesterday. The water pump had gone bust with a faulty bearing. The source of the grinding noise was this.
Had to replace the water pump and fill the coolant again.

Now car feels normal again after the 75k service.
Old 27th April 2013, 13:20   #213
Ice
BHPian

So this light has popped up all of a sudden. The missus has been using the car for the past month or so, and I don't mean to cast aspersions nut this sort of thing never happened to me. Anyone here know what the light warns you about, and how to fix it? There is no change in the way Forza drives.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130427_131657.png
Views: 3914
Size:  338.2 KB
Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 15:20   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
Anyone here know what the light warns you about, and how to fix it?
That's a CEL [check engine light] and it wants you to get Forza checked under a scanner. Just for your information - another name for the light / sign is Injection System Failure.

Read more here:

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-untitled.jpg
planet_rocker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2013, 14:38   #215
Ice
BHPian

Took Forza to the only Fiat dealership in Bangalore - Vecto Motors. Turns out the heater coil was malfunctioning. Got it changed for Rs.1,880, including labour. Job done in 2 hours, and no light now. Thanks, guys
Old 25th May 2013, 13:44   #216
BHPian

my battle tank with 52k clicks on the odo now is making "creek noise" from the front suspension when it goes over speed humps in the morning.the sound is very evident and occurs as the strut compresses and expands as the car goes over a hump.
Any suggestions where could this noise be from?
Old 25th May 2013, 14:32   #217
BHPian

Friends just for you info please.
Got my car some road side assistance from fiat RSA and this is what I got.
Fiat RSA provides you with a number to local tow agency and you have to do the calling and talking with the local agency.

What Came to my car's rescue - A rickety TATA 407 truck which by no means can tow a palio without damaging the bumper and AC condenser.

Towing equipment- they had a countrymade hook which anchors the lower control arms and lifts the car up.

Moral of the story - be aware of this damage which can occur when you seek assistance from Fiat RSA.

Damage to pocket - 3000 INR tow charge and no receipt or paperwork from towtruck agency.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-010520131112.jpg  

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-20130411_231008.jpg  

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-20130411_231019.jpg  

Old 27th May 2013, 00:54   #218
BHPian

27th may evening on the way from bangalore to chennai - faced heavy storm showers.
What made it bad was the failure of wiper function.
Wiper motor is fine but int function and sweep function is not working,mid and high speed is working. After switching off the wiper, it stops mid-way on the windscreen.

What am I looking at, a combination switch failure or a relay( if any present?) failure?

Any suggestions and easy fixes?
Old 28th May 2013, 14:52   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorquetik View Post
27th may evening on the way from bangalore to chennai - faced heavy storm showers.
What made it bad was the failure of wiper function.
Wiper motor is fine but int function and sweep function is not working,mid and high speed is working. After switching off the wiper, it stops mid-way on the windscreen.

What am I looking at, a combination switch failure or a relay( if any present?) failure?

Any suggestions and easy fixes?
The timer on the motor (electronic chip, I guess) is gone. Mine went once in warranty and got it replaced. The next time it went, I let it be. Have been managing with it for the last 3 years. Whenever it happens (usually in heavy rains when it works for long hours), I manage for a while then switch off the car when I have reached my destination. When I start after a gap of, say, 20 minutes, it works fine. My theory is that the motor heats up after prolonged use.

It works for me in Delhi as Delhi sees rains only for 2 months or so. I am not spending Rs 4,000/- on changing it. That and the RHS mirror adjuster and the rattles from the dashboard are things I am not fixing or trying to. Not worth it.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:16   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
My Palio Stile SDX has done a little more than 84,000 KM since August 2008.

Since the last 2000 KM or so (that's about 2 months), I have observed the RPM varying wildly (between some 400 to 1200 RPM or so) whenever I press the clutch to shift gears or to brake. Initially I thought the problem was because of worn out clutch. So I got the clutch plate and release bearing replaced (I never had clutch issues, and this was the original clutch). After replacing the clutch, the service advisor did tell me that the OEM clutch could go on for at least 5000 KM more. He also told me that the slave cylinder had no leakage, and does not need replacement. I had gotten the master cylinder replaced at 60000 KM or so, so I have retained it.

So I expected the problem to reoccur. Sure enough, the problem exists even after driving over a thousand KM with the new clutch.

There is no problem when the car is on gear. There is no problem when the engine is cold (that is, for the first 5 KM or so in the mornings).

3 times in the last 2 months, the RPM went so low that the car stalled in the middle of the road when I released the clutch after shifting the gear. I had to switch off the AC and headlights, move the key to off position and switch on the engine. It was embarrassing to do it with so many vehicles behind me honking as if they are going to die soon.

Any explanations on this erratic behaviour?
My Sdx 53k done is beginning to face this issue.This does not happen every time, but at times when i press the clutch to down shift or while applying brake the RPM shuttles between 400 to 1000 violently.
I have also been noticing , engine lugs and jolts while pulling from a high gear at very low rpm say - 5th gear and 1000RPM.

Any inputs? what is the root cause? which is the failed part?
My guess would be a malfunctioning clutch switch or faulty cam position sensor.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:21   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The timer on the motor (electronic chip, I guess) is gone. Mine went once in warranty and got it replaced. The next time it went, I let it be. Have been managing with it for the last 3 years. Whenever it happens (usually in heavy rains when it works for long hours), I manage for a while then switch off the car when I have reached my destination. When I start after a gap of, say, 20 minutes, it works fine. My theory is that the motor heats up after prolonged use.

It works for me in Delhi as Delhi sees rains only for 2 months or so. I am not spending Rs 4,000/- on changing it. That and the RHS mirror adjuster and the rattles from the dashboard are things I am not fixing or trying to. Not worth it.
Yesterday It was raining and it just started working on its own.It is working fine for now.
Is there a timer chip on the motor?
I was thinking it should be a faulty relay, and this erratic functioning could be because of deposits on the terminals of the relay.
I am not able to locate the relay( no mention of it in the owners manual).There is one for sure as when I use the rear wiper I can hear the click noise from the relay the moment I switch on the rear wiper.
Old 4th June 2013, 19:54   #222
BHPian

My Palio's engine cover has broken loose from one of the holding stems.
The stem is broken and the broken part of the stem is stuck in the engine block.

Did anyone face this problem?
Due to intense vibrations the engine cover is beginning to crack from the other side as well.

How will the stuck stem in the engine block be removed?
Any cost inputs for the engine cover?

Find below attached picture for your reference.

P.S. This is a picture for reference and not the actual image of my car's engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-untitled.jpg  

Old 8th June 2013, 14:24   #223
BHPian

One more update for all.

Just found out , we can replace only the ball joint on lower control arm instead of replacing the entire LCA if the LCA is intact and it is only the ball joint which has worn out.

I found the ball joint is available with 99rpm for 500 change INR and it is from GuttMann.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:20   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorquetik View Post
My Sdx 53k done is beginning to face this issue.This does not happen every time, but at times when i press the clutch to down shift or while applying brake the RPM shuttles between 400 to 1000 violently.
I have also been noticing , engine lugs and jolts while pulling from a high gear at very low rpm say - 5th gear and 1000RPM.

Any inputs? what is the root cause? which is the failed part?
My guess would be a malfunctioning clutch switch or faulty cam position sensor.
I took the car to KHT Motors last week. They have failed to even identify the location of the problem. Even another member, pareshraheja is facing the same issue. I will check with him if he found out any solution elsewhere.

Even though I am sure that the problem is with the engine, the technicians at KHT Motors opened up the instrument cluster without informing me. They ended up ruining the instrument cluster. Now, when I turn on the parking lights or low beam, these things go wrong:
1. High beam comes on
2. Fuel indicator goes to maximum
3. Temperature indicator goes to maximum
4. speedometer stops functioning
5. tachometer stops functioning
6. instrument cluster back light never comes on

Even after me showing the problem to them, and clearly informing that the shudders of the engine can be felt at the feet pedals and gear lever when the RPM falls below 800, they still insisted that the problem is with instrument cluster! Also, when they put the instrument cluster back, some piece was rubber was protruding from bottom, onto the instrument cluster glass.

When I took the car back to KHT, they said there is some short circuit inside the instrument cluster. They even said that I can get this fixed outside! That's shocking, because that means they are not going to accept their fault!

The technician also tried to shove in the rubber piece using screwdriver, and now I have scratches on the instrument cluster glass

So I escalated the matter to the customer relationship officer. He has been busy setting up the new facility (somewhat opposite Prestige Shantiniketan, but a little inside from main road). I went to meet him and showed him the problem with instrument cluster. He expressed his helplessness, as he is busy with setting up the Fiat service centre facility. He said the place will be open on 24th June, and I should come that day.

Since then, I have been avoiding driving after dark by leaving office early everyday. I wonder for how long I can go on like this!
Old 12th June 2013, 11:42   #225
BHPian

The sign of engine going lower rev while braking with clutch engaged is due to "Partial clutch release". Either your clutch master/slave cylinder is kaput OR your car's clutch cover assembly not disengaging the clutch fully. So as the wheel speed gets slower and slower its stops the engine from revving.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks