Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 23:34   #121
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntInstrument View Post
The infamous Leak has struck/sprung again.
Last evening, I had to drive to my wife's school to pick her up. It has been very hot and dusty for a few days and as such the car was very dirty so I washed my palio down and gave the tyres a good scrub. As is often the result of such unconsidered, foolhardy actions, inevitably, as soon as I hit the road it started raining. Upon getting back home I discovered that the front passenger side floor well carpet was soaked, sopping wet. I initially berated my wife for being careless with her bottle of filtered water and letting it leak all over the carpeting,
"Why can't you be more careful with where you put your bottle, it's gone and soaked the whole floor and mat and the car will be all humid and dank and smelly..." so on and so forth until I was cut short by her icy stare,
"I did not take the bottle with me today." she informed me tersely, I am still in trouble on that front, will be for quite a while and I do not think all the advice on all of T-BHP can help me. Other factors, like leaking beading, going through a puddle, were also considered and rejected. This left me royally scratching my head wondering about poltergeists and other paranormal phenomena.
However, the piece of advice in the quote above has been spot on and has solved the mystery. Thank you Architect, I remembered reading something on this issue while discussing the leak with someone and ran immediately to the PC and searched the known issues thread, et voila! here it is, the condensate pipe. I think it had come loose or something, I have unplugged it, cleaned it and set it back again, let's see how it goes now. Also, many thanks to Alton for the great pic of the pipe, helped me get to it immediately.
Also tie it with a plastic clip. Otherwise it may get disconnected again
Old 27th May 2011, 17:47   #122
BHPian

All Palio MJD owners who have replaced thier clutch system with the new clutch assembly please post your reviews.

Prerana Motors Service Center-Hosur Road shall also do the replacements in few weeks time,they have already placed orders with Fiat for the new parts.

My clutch is hard and gear some times does not change properly,waiting for the clutch upgrade

In my last service at 28K km the service center used Castrol Engine Oil,Is it good to move to completely synthetic Mobil 1 engine oil with 15K km oil change frequency?

Who has the highest km clocked on thier Palio MJD's since the launch in 2008 and what are the major issues you have faced in the car
Old 27th May 2011, 23:23   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
Who has the highest km clocked on thier Palio MJD's since the launch in 2008 and what are the major issues you have faced in the car
I have clocked 66,500 km so far. I know one or two others (anupam00, vikasb) who have clocked more than me and are close to 80,000 km. My ownership review is there for you on this site.
Old 30th May 2011, 20:22   #124
BHPian

Quote:
All Palio MJD owners who have replaced thier clutch system with the new clutch assembly please post your reviews.

Prerana Motors Service Center-Hosur Road shall also do the replacements in few weeks time,they have already placed orders with Fiat for the new parts.

My clutch is hard and gear some times does not change properly,waiting for the clutch upgrade

In my last service at 28K km the service center used Castrol Engine Oil,Is it good to move to completely synthetic Mobil 1 engine oil with 15K km oil change frequency?

Me too waiting for updates on the clutch replacement. Although, I should say the current clutch condition is manageable, if the new clutch can improve things even the teeny weeny bit, i am game. By the way, i got my first clutch replaced at 55000kms.( FIAPL paid a bit more than half of it.)

1. AC condenser leaked sometime towards end of year 1 at about 35000-40000 kms. Replaced under warranty.

2. At about 70000kms, got the front lower arm ball joints and tie-rod end ball-joints replaced.

3. There were 3-4 visits to the ASC on the clutch before the eventual replacement at 55000kms.

4. On tires, I was never happy with the OE GYs. Still managed to run in till about 41000-42000 kms( there was abt 15000-20000kms life left). Then changed to Xm1+s with 14" telephone dial alloys. The change in both driving confidence, road noise and comfort was dramatic. Last 30000kms or so have been puncture-free. Hoping to take it to 100,000km mark on these shoes. Hope they last.

Only concern is there seems to be a little more of black smoke( under acceleration) nowadays compared to, say, 30000-40000 Kms earlier. I have been thinking of maybe injector cleaning or replacement sometime around the 100,000km mark. Or maybe i will try to get the EGR cleaned sometime in the next 1-2 months. Any inputs here are welcome!

On looking back today, it seems the first 1 year or so of ownership was a bit edgy with issues here and there. After that, it seems the car has settled down to business.

PS: Didn't know till now that this thread existed. Subscribed now.
PPS:Am sorry that I have not put up a detailed review so far. 3 years comes up in Sep 2011. I will probably take that as a deadline to put up one.

Cheers,
Jagan

Last edited by jagan0677 : 30th May 2011 at 20:31.
Old 31st May 2011, 09:21   #125
BHPian

My SDX's rear wiper has stopped working suddenly y'day. Too bad it had to happen just at the start of monsoon here.

Anyways, 45k service is due this week. Will get it checked.
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:33   #126
BHPian

I didn't want to create a new thread, and it falls under the Palio MJD problems list. Whether it is known, it to be known

Now, my 1.3 MJD is about a year old, touched 9k kms yesterday. A few days ago, I opened the hood to install new white LED parking lights, and noticed a lot of coolant overflowed from the coolant tank. Here's a pic,

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-20110528_134446_938_new-delhi_re.jpg

I can't understand why this happened. The 2nd free service was done a month or two ago, and the coolant tank was found to be full of water and rust, I was there the whole time (my car was standing in the showroom for several months before I saw it, with coolant in the tank, apparently this is one reason for that).
So they flushed out all the gunk, drained the whole coolant system (it's a very interesting process, I won't get into it right now), and filled the tank up with two fresh jugs of coolant. 2 full litres went in.
Now its about 40 ~ 45 Degrees Celcius in Delhi, and A/C's a necessity while driving.
The second time I saw this coolant leakage was after a drive home from office. Again, the level in the coolant tank was much above max. So I let the engine cool overnight, and went down to check again in the morning. The engine was perfectly cool this time. Again, coolant level was quite above maximum, about an inch or more over the max line. I tried opening the coolant tank lid to inspect and it came surging up so I quickly shut it again. How could coolant be under pressure after a whole night of standstill engine?
Could anyone please explain here? There is no erratic idling of the car, AC works fine, AC fan works fine, engine temps show as perfectly normal on the dash.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:42   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I didn't want to create a new thread, and it falls under the Palio MJD problems list. Whether it is known, it to be known

Now, my 1.3 MJD is about a year old, touched 9k kms yesterday. A few days ago, I opened the hood to install new white LED parking lights, and noticed a lot of coolant overflowed from the coolant tank. Here's a pic,

Attachment 553809

I can't understand why this happened. The 2nd free service was done a month or two ago, and the coolant tank was found to be full of water and rust, I was there the whole time (my car was standing in the showroom for several months before I saw it, with coolant in the tank, apparently this is one reason for that).
So they flushed out all the gunk, drained the whole coolant system (it's a very interesting process, I won't get into it right now), and filled the tank up with two fresh jugs of coolant. 2 full litres went in.
Now its about 40 ~ 45 Degrees Celcius in Delhi, and A/C's a necessity while driving.
The second time I saw this coolant leakage was after a drive home from office. Again, the level in the coolant tank was much above max. So I let the engine cool overnight, and went down to check again in the morning. The engine was perfectly cool this time. Again, coolant level was quite above maximum, about an inch or more over the max line. I tried opening the coolant tank lid to inspect and it came surging up so I quickly shut it again. How could coolant be under pressure after a whole night of standstill engine?
Could anyone please explain here? There is no erratic idling of the car, AC works fine, AC fan works fine, engine temps show as perfectly normal on the dash.

Thanks in advance.
ByDesign - looking at the picture it seems to be a problem of excess coolant and hence the overflow. Bring the level down to Max mark and then see if it still overflows. I have seen many service centres (not just fiat, almost all), fill coolant much above the max mark. Makes me wonder what's the need to have those marks then.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 2nd June 2011 at 09:44.
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:46   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
ByDesign - looking at the picture it seems to be a problem of excess coolant and hence the overflow. Bring the level down to Max mark and then see if it still overflows. I have seen many service centres (not just fiat, almost all), fill coolant much above the max mark. Makes me wonder what's the need to have those marks then.
Thanks for the reply Amit. Also, any idea why there is still so much pressure in the morning even after a whole night of cooling down?
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:23   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Amit. Also, any idea why there is still so much pressure in the morning even after a whole night of cooling down?
May be because of the excessive coolant and pressure not letting out due to air tight reservoir cap.

That I think is to do with the design of the cooling system. I am not sure though but sharing what I think.

Some cars, like santro come with a rediator cap as well as a coolant reservoir cap. In these cars, radiator cap is air tight (and hence coolant under pressure) and the reservoir cap is not airtight. When coolant expands, radiator lets the excess to go to reservoir and not increase pressure beyond a limit.

While some other cars like my manza and I think your palio, do not have anything like a rediator cap at all. All they have is one cap on top of the reservoir which is air tight. So if the coolant is in excess, it will build much more pressure inside upon expansion.

Also I think, in santro type cars, it does not hurt much to have coolant above max mark since that won't increase the coolant pressure (as the reservoir is a seperate box and is not air tight). While in palio types, I won't fill coolant above max mark and coolant expansion when hot etc will happen in air tight position and hence increasing pressure in the system.

I suggest you bring the level down to max and observe. If it was me, I would try this first and if issue is not resolved, then got to a mechanic. I am also assuming that the overflow was not due to loose cap. I think you would have ruled that out first.

As I said, I can be wrong but happy to learn more.

Last edited by amit1234singla : 2nd June 2011 at 11:28. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:50   #130
BHPian

Quote:
May be because of the excessive coolant and pressure not letting out due to air tight reservoir cap.

That I think is to do with the design of the cooling system. I am not sure though but sharing what I think.

Some cars, like santro come with a rediator cap as well as a coolant reservoir cap. In these cars, radiator cap is air tight (and hence coolant under pressure) and the reservoir cap is not airtight. When coolant expands, radiator lets the excess to go to reservoir and not increase pressure beyond a limit.

While some other cars like my manza and I think your palio, do not have anything like a rediator cap at all. All they have is one cap on top of the reservoir which is air tight. So if the coolant is in excess, it will build much more pressure inside upon expansion.

Also I think, in santro type cars, it does not hurt much to have coolant above max mark since that won't increase the coolant pressure (as the reservoir is a seperate box and is not air tight). While in palio types, I won't fill coolant above max mark and coolant expansion when hot etc will happen in air tight position and hence increasing pressure in the system.

I suggest you bring the level down to max and observe. If it was me, I would try this first and if issue is not resolved, then got to a mechanic. I am also assuming that the overflow was not due to loose cap. I think you would have ruled that out first.

As I said, I can be wrong but happy to learn more.
ok, so I think you're right about the radiator cap. I can't find it. Now the question is, I can't seem to figure out a way to take the coolant out. Every time I try to open the lid, there's too much pressure and it comes flowing out really fast. There is one other small valve on the radiator, which is like a seepage valve. I saw the mechanic open this and let out the coolant last time. Should I open this valve and let out some coolant? What is the correct way to do this?
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:37   #131
BHPian

Ok, this morning I opened the bleed valve and let out coolant till the level was just below Max. Drove till office and kept engine temp levels in mind. It stayed around 1/4th on the temp gauge and then I turned the ac off. It then went to about half way on the temp gauge.

When I reached office, I could smell coolant again. Opened the hood and there was no leakage this time. That smell must be from all that coolant that spilled earlier this morning.

For me now, the question is, does the big fan not spin when ac is off? How high can the engine temp go without ac?
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:04   #132
Senior - BHPian

^ Cool.

Ranjan, I suggest you to open the hood and clean out areas where the coolant earlier spilled. Even small traces left out could give you that odor due to the weather and the engine temperature.

Once you do the above, monitor the coolant tank for a few days. Until you are dead sure, keep an eye on the temperature gauge.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:13   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, this morning I opened the bleed valve and let out coolant till the level was just below Max. Drove till office and kept engine temp levels in mind. It stayed around 1/4th on the temp gauge and then I turned the ac off. It then went to about half way on the temp gauge.

When I reached office, I could smell coolant again. Opened the hood and there was no leakage this time. That smell must be from all that coolant that spilled earlier this morning.

For me now, the question is, does the big fan not spin when ac is off? How high can the engine temp go without ac?
I have driven my SDX for 70000 kms+, and its only once that i have seen the temp needle go above the halfway mark.

On that occasion, it had run for about 20-25 mins in Bangalore city evening traffic without AC, and I noticed the needle just about crossing the halfway mark. Visually the needle moved enough to have a degree or two gap between the needle and the halfway white mark. Seeing this, I switched on AC hoping that will bring it down. And, Voila! the needles was back to midway-between-quarter-and-half-gauge mark.

However, I should say sometimes after long duration drives, if the car is switched off and started within 30 mins or so, sometimes momentarily the needle crosses the halfway mark. This is hardly for a couple of minutes after the engine is cranked. Within the 1-2 mins the needle is back to its normal level. This I wouldnt really count.

I hope Ive left you with more clarity, rather than more confused.

And, yes i dont remember a case when the 2nd fan switches off without the AC on. Mostly its like, I notice the needle creeping too close to halfway mark for comfort and, before I realise it, I have instinctively switched on the AC.

Cheers,
Jagan.

Last edited by jagan0677 : 3rd June 2011 at 11:16.
jagan0677 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:32   #134
BHPian

Quote:

The big fan (the lower one) comes on when using AC. Else it also comes on when the coolant temp hits critically high mark (in manza I think at 105'c). Anything below that, small fan takes care of cooling the car.

I think you should be good now, it's normal for the temp guage to stay at 1/4 mark with AC and go upto middle mark w/o AC (especially in traffic). Happens in my manza everyday. As others suggested, please clean the coolant spilled over areas. This will also help to identfy if it leaks again. Keep a watch on temp guage and coolant level for a few days. As long as bleed valve/ coolant cap etc is properly tightened, I think you should be good.

Cheers!
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 20:52   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Hello MJD Owners,

My Palio MJD 2008 is around 30K Km driven,when should I replace the original Good Year GPS tyres 50000 KM or more.

How is the idea of replacing the steel rims with Fiat Punto Alloy wheels or the Stile 1.6 sport alloys they look great and would suit my furnace red beauty.

What tyres to be used for good road handling,low noise and great fuel economy with less drag.

Appreciate inputs from MJD owner who have done tyre and alloy changes

Note:-New replacement Clutch system for palio MJD's will arrive at Prerana Motors Service Station,Kudlu Gate,Bangalore in comming weeks

Thanks
Amar
To answer your question, I'll give you my example Sir. I upgraded from the stock MJD tyres after around 400 kms with my new car. The old tires were pretty thin, quite bumpy and super springy, though they were very very fast on the road.

Here are my alloys in my main car thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2037848

And here are my tires in the same thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2041056

Actually all the details from before and after the tire upgrade are in that thread.

To summarize:

1. Acceleration dropped a little.
2. FE is still amazing for me in the city, getting constant 17 ~ 20 kmpl with AC.
3. Stability increased a lot.
4. Much smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^ Cool.

Ranjan, I suggest you to open the hood and clean out areas where the coolant earlier spilled. Even small traces left out could give you that odor due to the weather and the engine temperature.

Once you do the above, monitor the coolant tank for a few days. Until you are dead sure, keep an eye on the temperature gauge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
I have driven my SDX for 70000 kms+, and its only once that i have seen the temp needle go above the halfway mark.

On that occasion, it had run for about 20-25 mins in Bangalore city evening traffic without AC, and I noticed the needle just about crossing the halfway mark. Visually the needle moved enough to have a degree or two gap between the needle and the halfway white mark. Seeing this, I switched on AC hoping that will bring it down. And, Voila! the needles was back to midway-between-quarter-and-half-gauge mark.

However, I should say sometimes after long duration drives, if the car is switched off and started within 30 mins or so, sometimes momentarily the needle crosses the halfway mark. This is hardly for a couple of minutes after the engine is cranked. Within the 1-2 mins the needle is back to its normal level. This I wouldnt really count.

I hope Ive left you with more clarity, rather than more confused.

And, yes i dont remember a case when the 2nd fan switches off without the AC on. Mostly its like, I notice the needle creeping too close to halfway mark for comfort and, before I realise it, I have instinctively switched on the AC.

Cheers,
Jagan.
Quote:
The big fan (the lower one) comes on when using AC. Else it also comes on when the coolant temp hits critically high mark (in manza I think at 105'c). Anything below that, small fan takes care of cooling the car.

I think you should be good now, it's normal for the temp guage to stay at 1/4 mark with AC and go upto middle mark w/o AC (especially in traffic). Happens in my manza everyday. As others suggested, please clean the coolant spilled over areas. This will also help to identfy if it leaks again. Keep a watch on temp guage and coolant level for a few days. As long as bleed valve/ coolant cap etc is properly tightened, I think you should be good.

Cheers!
Now moving on to my temperature issue. Here are the temp gauge shots from my drive back from office. Please note that they are in chronological order, as you might notice from the trip meter. Also note that I did not put the A/C on just to put the car through her paces!! I soaked my shirt completely through with sweat. It was like sitting in a sauna. Bumper to bumper traffic in several places. Absolute hell. But we made it

Pic 1 is when I started from office. Flash was on, looked horrendous, so i turned off the flash and continued. Last pic with the handbreak on is when I reached home. No A/C, so no monster fan cooling. Temp outside was nearly 40 degrees.

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-img_20110603_193525.jpg

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-img_20110603_193601.jpg

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-img_20110603_193814.jpg

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-img_20110603_193941.jpg

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-img_20110603_194146.jpg

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-img_20110603_194314.jpg

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-img_20110603_194816.jpg

Name:  IMG_20110603_195101.jpg
Views: 2628
Size:  35.1 KB

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-img_20110603_200938.jpg

Fiat Palio MJD - Known Problems-img_20110603_201351.jpg

Only one pic was taken while on the move, at a modest 40 kmph. The rest were all at traffic lights, heavy traffic etc. After I reached home, opened the bonnet, no coolant leakage whatsoever. Inputs guys?

Last edited by ByDesign : 3rd June 2011 at 20:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks