Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:51   #616
BHPian

Re: Service center in Goregaon(W), Mumbai?

Our 2001 alto, parked in front of apartment got brushed on the RHS and has lost the right indicator cap. As this has happened on visit to mumbai, am on look out for a service center in and around goregaon(w).

Please help me with some reasonable service centers in and around MG road, goregaon (w).
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:14   #617
BHPian

Re: Service center in Goregaon(W), Mumbai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Our 2001 alto, parked in front of apartment got brushed on the RHS and has lost the right indicator cap.
Hi JMaruru,

Are you referring to the amber plastic cover over the indicator bulb located on the fender ?

That "cap" is available for Rs. 150 & you can fix it yourself quite easily - all you'll need is a flat instrument to pry it out.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:01   #618
BHPian

re: Maruti Alto - Issues

Two weeks back before a long drive, I observed water dripping inside the car (When AC was ON), under the dashboard below the music system on my 2010 Alto Lxi. Floor mats were all wet as the water collected.
A quick check of coolant/radiator and colorless of the water inside confirmed that it is not from the heating coil and that I could drive before I repair the problem.

In two days I went to A.S.S and got it checked. The issue was, the cooling coil was blocked and water was not draining out.

Repair was: Complete removal of dash, opening and cleaning of coil, refill AC refrigerant (only top up), AC filter replacement and labor, costing me Rs. 2200 including taxes.
5 hours job in total.

Now AC works perfect but there is some loose connection in the music system. The service manager told me that the water was collected and am lucky that the music system is still functioning.
But when the problem was there, the music system functioned properly. Not sure if the service guys damaged something.

-UB
Old 10th December 2014, 13:16   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
My Alto Lxi drum brake at the rear left is heating up, probably due to stuck brake pad. The service center (without even opening the brake drum) is insisting on a brake cylinder replacement.
1. Could it be an issue with the self-adjuster or return spring or cable?
2. Is there an adjuster that can be loosened (by me) without opening the drum to check what's wrong (something like the clutch cable adjuster)?
Update: Another workshop adjusted the "handbrake cable adjuster" on the drum and now the brake doesn't heat up, works just fine. Bill = 50 Rs.

Another recent incident:
The gear lever was 'disconnected', so I had to get the car towed. The workshop replaced something called 'gear rod' under the gear lever. Part cost 150 Rs, Labor 700 Rs (towing charges extra). The mechanic says this is a common issue (and has nothing to do with rough use). Can somebody please post the picture of the gear rod? I couldn't stay with the car during the repair, hence clueless on what was changed.
Old 3rd February 2015, 14:24   #620
BHPian

Lady E is up for service (2007 Alto Lxi) @ 53k KMS. I hope the experts can help before I'm made a complete fool off by the Service Centre. [Note-I bought the car second hand at 18k from a family member so apart from no accident and mileage nothing else about the car is known. I bought it in 2010 on my return to Delhi-in 3 yrs it had clocked only 18k kms yipee)

Format followed-My complaint-response by S.A.-My Question. Could you all please help as to what all is required to be done.

1. The engine is gruff and not smooth as before-requires tuning by computer approx cost Rs. 1500-What exactly does this mean? I had carried the impression that turning the idle control screw was all the tuning an Alto required. If this is not the solution to a gruff engine then what is?

2. Clutch-To be fair the clutch has been giving hints of dying for over a year now. -"Change clutch saar" cost 6-8k incl. labour-The latest symptoms being as follows
i) drop in FE from 17ish to about 11ish;
ii) first gear (only) is pretty hard to slot, and the reverse gear gives the dreaded gnashing of gear teeth sound (shudder);
iii) though the clutch is not slipping and there is no apparent loss of power, there is a little juddering/shaking of the vehicle in first gear now.-
I'm ok with them replacing the clutch the question is along with the pressure plate and the clutch assembly
a) should I also replace the clutch release bearing?
b)Secondly, should I ask them to examine the synchro rings or is even going there inviting troubles home?
c) Thirdly-Ceekay or Valeo, the OE was Valeo gave up at 18k extreme juddering of the entire car (the famous 2007 alto clutch problem). It was replaced with a valeo and now its at 53k (I acknowledge the life is rather short, however my sister learnt how to drive using this car and its to be expected, also its driven by the family driver.
3. During the last service I got a brake overhaul done, now the braking is spongy. Though a bleeding was done with the usual double ended talk of "now grab now release", and I personally was pouring in the brake fluid into the reservoir, should I get it done again?

4. Over the years the front windshield has developed fine numerous scratches, is there any way to buff them/remove them. Night driving is slowly but surely becoming a pain. Or am i looking at a replacement?

5. Also the front portion right behind the headlights has taken a hit and a dent fairly deep has developed (in short numbskull client got a jolt on seeing my bill and reversed into the car) can a dry denting take care of the same. Also the lower sill of the door has had all its paint scraped off due to use, should i get the same primed and re-painted?

6. Last but not the least a Delhi Specific query-My usual MASS Batra @ Humayun Road Khan Market has said some of the above tasks are beyond him-Can some delhi member please point me towards a reliable MASS or even a FNG who can get all of the above done?

Phew-I'm just tired of typing it all out. Y'all are superhuman to read and reply. (bows)
Old 5th February 2015, 15:22   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Lady E is up for service (2007 Alto Lxi) @ 53k KMS. I bought it in 2010 on my return to Delhi-in 3 yrs it had clocked only 18k kms yipee)
There is a surprising similarity between your Alto and mine. I got mine with, a 2009 model with 16.5K on ODO in 2010 end. In the next 2.5 years drove around 33K KMS. Driving has come down now days and ODO is around 52K KMS.

Quote:
The engine is gruff and not smooth as before-requires tuning by computer approx cost Rs. 1500-What exactly does this mean?
I dont think anything like that is required. The usual oil change + Air filter change should take care of any issues. Also, if you have not changed spark plugs during 40K service you can think about the same.

Quote:
ii) first gear (only) is pretty hard to slot, and the reverse gear gives the dreaded gnashing of gear teeth sound (shudder);
Even my clutch has most of the issues apart from the mileage drop. Based on usage and traffic pattern it may be nearing end of life also.
I have not changed the clutch yet, hence cant comment on the work details.

Quote:
During the last service I got a brake overhaul done, now the braking is spongy. Though a bleeding was done with the usual double ended talk of "now grab now release", and I personally was pouring in the brake fluid into the reservoir, should I get it done again?
It can be an issue with cylinder too. As per the service manual,I guess the replacement interval is 40K, but usually it is not done. You could check the same also.

Quote:
4. Over the years the front windshield has developed fine numerous scratches, is there any way to buff them/remove them. Night driving is slowly but surely becoming a pain. Or am i looking at a replacement?
Had the same issue with many small pebble hits. There are many members who got the windshield polished to remove scratches. I was reluctant do to the same since during rains it may cause wiper to work inefficiently.

Quote:
5. Also the front portion right behind the headlights has taken a hit and a dent fairly deep has developed (in short numbskull client got a jolt on seeing my bill and reversed into the car) can a dry denting take care of the same. Also the lower sill of the door has had all its paint scraped off due to use, should i get the same primed and re-painted?
Had the same issue. In my case a moron decided to jump the lane in traffic and broke headlight also along with denting the body. MASS informs that it will be required to repaint the whole part (~3K Rs). I am planning to get it dry dented, however was informed that it may be able to get back in shape by only around 80 %.

Again, running board on passenger side is scratched. It would require a proper re-painting, quote received was around 2.5K plus denting charges. Due to the location this is not easily noticeable, however it may get rusted soon due to proximity to floor and wheel arch.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 5th February 2015 at 15:23.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 15:58   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lady E is up for service (2007 Alto Lxi) @ 53k KMS. I hope the experts can help before I'm made a complete fool off by the Service Centre. [Note-I bought the car second hand at 18k from a family member so apart from no accident and mileage nothing else about the car is known. I bought it in 2010 on my return to Delhi-in 3 yrs it had clocked only 18k kms yipee)

Format followed-My complaint-response by S.A.-My Question. Could you all please help as to what all is required to be done.

1. The engine is gruff and not smooth as before-requires tuning by computer approx cost Rs. 1500-What exactly does this mean? I had carried the impression that turning the idle control screw was all the tuning an Alto required. If this is not the solution to a gruff engine then what is?

2. Clutch-To be fair the clutch has been giving hints of dying for over a year now. -"Change clutch saar" cost 6-8k incl. labour-The latest symptoms being as follows
iii) though the clutch is not slipping and there is no apparent loss of power, there is a little juddering/shaking of the vehicle in first gear now.-
I'm ok with them replacing the clutch the question is along with the pressure plate and the clutch assembly
b)Secondly, should I ask them to examine the synchro rings or is even going there inviting troubles home?
c) Thirdly-Ceekay or Valeo, the OE was Valeo gave up at 18k extreme juddering of the entire car (the famous 2007 alto clutch problem). It was replaced with a valeo and now its at 53k (I acknowledge the life is rather short, however my sister learnt how to drive using this car and its to be expected, also its driven by the family driver.
3. During the last service I got a brake overhaul done, now the braking is spongy. Though a bleeding was done with the usual double ended talk of "now grab now release", and I personally was pouring in the brake fluid into the reservoir, should I get it done again?

6. Last but not the least a Delhi Specific query-My usual MASS Batra @ Humayun Road Khan Market has said some of the above tasks are beyond him-Can some delhi member please point me towards a reliable MASS or even a FNG who can get all of the above done?

Phew-I'm just tired of typing it all out. Y'all are superhuman to read and reply. (bows)
1. Engine. If you have been travelling within city and short distances, then what you need is an "Italian Tuneup". That simply means going to the nearest highway and driving 100km between 90 and 100. That will burn up all the accumulated carbon, and open up the engine passages clogged up due to sludge. I do this once every six months. After the run the engine sounds new and the response is peppy. The FE goes up from 10-11 to 15.

2. Gear slotting is mainly due to the gear box slightly subsiding on its mountings. Get them checked, and if found old/soft/cracked change them. Then get the gear lever linkages adjusted.

3. Clutch juddering can be either due to soft engine/gearbox mountings or a mis-adjusted clutch.

4. Regarding Wind shield, I would get it changed ASAP. I have no idea of the cost but the original for M800 it was around 1k a couple of years back and for Esteem it was 5K (tinted one). Plain was 2 K.

5. I buy my spares from Ajit Arcake, near LSR. There are two shops and bot reasonable.

6. For MASS I prefer Engineers authorized MASS, just next to Safdarjung Tomb. For repairs I go to Anthony, in Ajit Arcade. I have tried various MASS and dealer work shops, and except where high tech machinery is required or when a dust free paint job, FNG is a better option, especially if you know what is required.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 08:06   #623
BHPian

Quote:

1) I would never go for any tuning, just the regular service. Are you following 5k or 10k intervals? Check the service history and see whether throttle body cleaning, spark plug change and air filter change has been done recently.
2)I am still using orignal clutch after 45000 kms. 6 to 8k seems way too expensive for an alto clutch. I believe clutch replacement cost was around 4k at MASS without flywheel change including labor around 1000 in 2014. I would suggest changing the release bearing as well. Synchro rings cant be inspected without opening the gearbox, and that's like opening a can of worms.I would seriously advise against it if you aren't facing gear slotting issues.I suggest having the engine/gear mounts inspected.
4) change the windshield, its a safety risk.
5)Are you referring to the crossmember?
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 23:48   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There is a surprising similarity between your Alto and mine. I got mine with, a 2009 model with 16.5K on ODO in 2010 end. In the next 2.5 years drove around 33K KMS. Driving has come down now days and ODO is around 52K KMS.
Me and Lady E are officially in elite company. I also noticed that our rides also share the same “silky silver” colour.

Quote:
I dont think anything like that is required. The usual oil change + Air filter change should take care of any issues. Also, if you have not changed spark plugs during 40K service you can think about the same.
You are right, I haven’t changed the spark plugs at the 40k service. Made a note to get it done. The oils and filters have been changed as per schedule, will get MASS to check them once.
Quote:
Even my clutch has most of the issues apart from the mileage drop. Based on usage and traffic pattern it may be nearing end of life also. I have not changed the clutch yet, hence cant comment on the work details.
I suspect a clutch change is on the cards. S.A. says run it till you can’t do so anymore. So I guess it’s now a question of time.

Quote:
It can be an issue with cylinder too. As per the service manual,I guess the replacement interval is 40K, but usually it is not done. You could check the same also.
Spot on! I pulled out the manual and it does say that the cylinder is to be replaced. However I quite doubt the ability of my MASS to pull this off, without giving me an added headache. I will bleed and refill the system once more as a hail mary pass.

Quote:
Had the same issue with many small pebble hits. There are many members who got the windshield polished to remove scratches. I was reluctant do to the same since during rains it may cause wiper to work inefficiently.
This is a genuine quandary, Windshield Expert quoted a 4.9k estimate for the Alto windshield inclusive of installation. Not quite decided what to do yet.

Quote:
Had the same issue. In my case a moron decided to jump the lane in traffic and broke headlight also along with denting the body. MASS informs that it will be required to repaint the whole part (~3K Rs). I am planning to get it dry dented, however was informed that it may be able to get back in shape by only around 80 %.
I’m worried on this score, especially as the white undercoat is also scratched, so a touch up is definitely required. I wouldn’t mind spending 3k for a total repaint as I can’t seem to find a proper enclosed paint booth in the FNG’s and want to get everything done from the same area, if not the same person.

Quote:
Again, running board on passenger side is scratched. It would require a proper re-painting, quote received was around 2.5K plus denting charges. Due to the location this is not easily noticeable, however it may get rusted soon due to proximity to floor and wheel arch.
I’m getting the 3M underbody and anti-rust renewed. Will get this painted first along with the panel and then off to 3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. Engine. If you have been travelling within city and short distances, then what you need is an "Italian Tuneup". That simply means going to the nearest highway and driving 100km between 90 and 100. That will burn up all the accumulated carbon, and open up the engine passages clogged up due to sludge. I do this once every six months. After the run the engine sounds new and the response is peppy. The FE goes up from 10-11 to 15.
Sounds like the perfect way to solve a problem. While I may unclog the car’s arteries, mine are going for a toss, for Murthal here I come.

Quote:
2. Gear slotting is mainly due to the gear box slightly subsiding on its mountings. Get them checked, and if found old/soft/cracked change them. Then get the gear lever linkages adjusted.
Will get this checked. Didn’t know that such a problem could ever occur.

Quote:
3. Clutch juddering can be either due to soft engine/gearbox mountings or a mis-adjusted clutch.
I’m considering replacing the entire clutch assembly and the bearing, but will do only after checking the mountings. An added trip to the MASS, however it holds the potential to save me from replacing a fully functional clutch.

Quote:
4. Regarding Wind shield, I would get it changed ASAP. I have no idea of the cost but the original for M800 it was around 1k a couple of years back and for Esteem it was 5K (tinted one). Plain was 2 K.
As above Windshield Experts is quoting be approx. 4.9k. Will have to take a considered call.

Quote:
6. For MASS I prefer Engineers authorized MASS, just next to Safdarjung Tomb. For repairs I go to Anthony, in Ajit Arcade. I have tried various MASS and dealer work shops, and except where high tech machinery is required or when a dust free paint job, FNG is a better option, especially if you know what is required.
I have also been suggested Motorcraft Noida, do you know if they are good? All this years I had an incredibly trustworthy garage in the form of Deepak Bhasin in Khan Market, however thanks to NDMC the garage was illegally sealed, and after a long fight had been reopened. However in the interim Deepak emigrated to pursue a better opportunity and here I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
1) I would never go for any tuning, just the regular service. Are you following 5k or 10k intervals? Check the service history and see whether throttle body cleaning, spark plug change and air filter change has been done recently.
Spark plug and Throttle body-NO. The S.A did tell me about the throttle body cleaning the last time around. I thought he was scamming me. Darn. Have made a note to get it done.

Quote:
2)I am still using orignal clutch after 45000 kms 6 to 8k seems way too expensive for an alto clutch. I believe clutch replacement cost was around 4k at MASS without flywheel change including labor around 1000 in 2014. I would suggest changing the release bearing as well.
That clears up a lot of doubts, the release bearing will be replaced. As for the charges, I will recheck with those geniuses.
Quote:
Synchro rings cant be inspected without opening the gearbox, and that's like opening a can of worms.I would seriously advise against it if you aren't facing gear slotting issues.I suggest having the engine/gear mounts inspected.
Shall get only the mounts checked. No way am I letting MASS grease johnnies create and cook up more trouble.

Quote:
4) change the windshield, its a safety risk.
. Will have to take a call between having it sanded down or whatever that technology is called or a full replace. Costs are an issue and if the clutch is up for a change, then the windshield waits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
5)Are you referring to the crossmember?
Umm! Must admit had to google crossmember to figure out what it was. No, i’m referring to the door sill. Will upload a picture soon.

Thank you @ mpksuhas, aroy and bullrun. I’m deeply indebted to you for taking the time and helping me out. I will be getting everything done in the next couple of week and will update this thread once all is done. Thank you once again!

@ mods.-this is my first attempt at multi quote and split reply. Relied upon the how to section. I however had to use MS Word for composing the reply. If there are any errors please help me sort them out.

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 15th February 2015 at 23:57. Reason: muti-quote is a difficult thing to learn!
shady_lawyer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 20:27   #625
BHPian

Guys, I have a 2012 Alto K10 which has done 25k km. With services done at authorized service centers at regular intervals as specified by the manufacturer. When I accelerate my car hard from 1st gear or 2nd gear, the movement is not even, there is a jerking, the movement is not linear. It feels like the engine is not getting enough air or fuel. I've tried cleaning my air filter and putting a new air filter, but it didn't help. Please help

Thanks in Advance
Old 18th February 2015, 11:05   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the issue always prominent? Any other unusual symptoms?
By the initial bits, it looks like some electrical issue to me. Check & clean spark plugs, distributor points and wires. Get the ignition coil checked at the ASC.

Regards.
Old 18th February 2015, 13:19   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
Guys, I have a 2012 Alto K10 which has done 25k km. With services done at authorized service centers at regular intervals as specified by the manufacturer. When I accelerate my car hard from 1st gear or 2nd gear, the movement is not even, there is a jerking, the movement is not linear. It feels like the engine is not getting enough air or fuel. I've tried cleaning my air filter and putting a new air filter, but it didn't help. Please help

Thanks in Advance
It can be
. Fuel. To check this go to an open stretch of highway and see how fast you can go. If the car reaches 120 km/h, then it is not fuel. If it struggles to accelerate in all gears it may.
. Air filter. You have checked it.
. If you have not changed spark plugs, do so ASAP. While getting them changed check if there is soot. If so then you do the Italian Tune Up.
. Throttle body. Carbon may have accumulated in the throttle body (happened in my Alto also). Get it cleaned by a good FNG.

If the acceleration is rough or the car sluggish, and you have been driving only short distances between stops or a lot of driving in B2B traffic, then carbon may have deposited inside the engine. In that case your FE will also have drooped a lot. The least expensive solution is the "Italian Tune Up" to take it for a 100km spin on a highway, driving at 90-100. That will clean up your engine, improve the FE and leave you with a smiling face.
Old 18th February 2015, 14:22   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
It can be
. Fuel. To check this go to an open stretch of highway and see how fast you can go. If the car reaches 120 km/h, then it is not fuel. If it struggles to accelerate in all gears it may.
. Air filter. You have checked it.
. If you have not changed spark plugs, do so ASAP. While getting them changed check if there is soot. If so then you do the Italian Tune Up.
. Throttle body. Carbon may have accumulated in the throttle body (happened in my Alto also). Get it cleaned by a good FNG.

If the acceleration is rough or the car sluggish, and you have been driving only short distances between stops or a lot of driving in B2B traffic, then carbon may have deposited inside the engine. In that case your FE will also have drooped a lot. The least expensive solution is the "Italian Tune Up" to take it for a 100km spin on a highway, driving at 90-100. That will clean up your engine, improve the FE and leave you with a smiling face.
It can do more than 120kph. I'm using my car daily, 1 km in B2B city traffic and 25 km in highway. Which I usually do at a steady 60 kph. The pathway from my garage to the main road is a bit too steep. By the time we reach the other end, the engine will be doing more than 4k rpm in 1st gear.

I haven't checked the spark plugs yet. But service guys might have changed it right? On last service at 20k km?

Can tell me what exactly is an Italian Tune up is ?
Old 18th February 2015, 14:44   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Italian tune up is just a long spirited drive. This cleans the carbon build up due to frequent travels in bumper to bumper traffic & hence, lower revs.

Regards.
Old 18th February 2015, 16:26   #630
Senior - BHPian

My friend's Alto K10 (old model) had a small incident with a bike, and lost the plastic cladding that comes in place of the fog lamps. Is this part available at Maruti Genuine
Spare shops? How much for a (left hand side) piece?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks