Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 11:52   #76
BHPian

well, my experience is slightly different.
my swift 's clutch plates were replaced @14500kms only.
the clutch was slipping in 5th gear only above 2500rpms,
so i went to the service center, parked the car and asked the SA to chnage clutch(there way no way in hell i was going to let him drive my car in 5th @2500rpm)

the SA said "saar, only14500 kms saar, the clutch should be fine"
i said the car was driven in hill for most of those 14500 kms,

after arguing for some time they decided to oblige,
but then they botched the job but thats another story
Old 1st December 2009, 18:04   #77
Senior - BHPian

I encountered a clutch job for a WagonR that had just 15000 kms on it.
And it really needed a new clutch.
Old 1st December 2009, 18:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
My alto shudders in the first gear since last six month and service centre says clutch has to be replaced ...
This is an issue in a certain batch of Alto cars, i feel. We have this in our car too, and the Service advisor (with whom we have a good rapport) at ABT Maruti told us that it is not a problem that requires a clutch replacement. We didnt have this problem in the initial period, only recently has this surfaced (it has run about 40K kms now).

You are doing the right thing to overcome the shuddering.
Old 1st December 2009, 19:38   #79
BHPian

do i need a clutch overhaul

my 2006 nhc has developed jerking at speeds mostly at gear changes between 60-70kmph and espec ially when im not using the clutch or i have already shifted into next gear.

during my last service at linkway honda mumbai i have been sounded out for the same as they found that the car was not picking up speed on release of clutch.now this jerking has started.it comes suddenly when acr is in speed sometimes in low gear too.

my car has done 77000kms and has a hard grind as i take the vehicle out on highways often.

what are diffrent components of clutch overhaul which are costly and shd be checked /crosschecked.

are linkway honda a part of such scam advice how is peoples experience in mumbai with linkway honda pl advise as iam gng in for major servicing in a few days.

pravdr
Old 1st December 2009, 19:42   #80
BHPian

Quote:
In all probability, this will lead to faster clutch wear. You will require atleast some clutch slipping to get rolling in a 2nd gear start? The Ikon has such a sweet short throw gearbox. C'mon, use it and start off in 1st!
No GTO . Just release the clutch slowly and it will pull all along .No need for using accelerator even in slight inclines.Will use the 1st here after.
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:16   #81
Senior - BHPian

my case is opposite, clutch was slipping. car was revving but it wasnt picking up. it was pathetic to drive on gurgaon expressway. took myself to service center and asked him to change clutch. since wasnt sure of the job done, stayed at workshop whole day to see it being replaced, now the gearshifts are amazingly smooth.

odometer 44k, santro xing.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 2nd December 2009 at 08:18.
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:30   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
clutch was slipping. car was revving but it wasnt picking up.
This is a sure shot sign of the clutch needing replacement. If the car is revving but the speed is not increasing hence you are finding difficulty for even small climbs means your clutch is on its last leg. You can straightaway go to the nearest garage and get the clutch replaced.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:30   #83
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
My alto shudders in the first gear since last six month and service centre says clutch has to be replaced but there is no clutch slippage in any gears, no power loss too and recent mileage was almost 19 kmpl. I have learnt to live with the shudder by just pressing a little on the
How old is your Alto? My Alto's (May 2008 model) clutch was replaced under warranty at ~14,300 kms only due to some manufacturing defect. I had the similar symptoms for about a month before it finally snappped.

Would be worth getting it checked by your MASS.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:06   #84
BHPian

@gpa,

It is march 2005 model, around 44k on the odo, if it was a manufecturing defect it should have figured earlier. I guess the main reason for it is my wife learnt driving in last year and was using it for driving very short distances having a lot of speed breakers, plus we went to simla in high season and ended up at a narrow and steep road with vehicles parked on one side trying to find parking. whenever a bigger vehicle came to the other side we had to do a lot of reversing and forwarding to find a place to cross. As alto is underpowered and was loaded, had to do half clutch riding for almost an hour! This shuddering started after that, i guess.

Anyways the problem is only in first gear and I have learnt how to minimise it, there is no power loss or mileage drop so hanging out till it becomes worse and then I will change it.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My experience:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1498450

This was the only negative in my long relationship with my TASC here.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:49   #86
BHPian

A handy review,good work many mechanics use this technique to earn money. A layman or most female drivers fall prey for this.
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:06   #87
BHPian

I had a very similar experience with a MASS near my office... The SA advised me of a clutch overhaul @25K and they said they had done a complete replacement of the same.
I had complained of a slight Tyre uneven wear for two of the Tyre's along with some breaking feeling in free stretches... the SA said they had checked it and corrected...and said tyres will lost another 15-20k but to my surprise they had made it worse and the tyre's were worn out with in next 3K with lot of patchy wearing

Now recently I had to go for complete set of 4 new tyres... @40K along with Clutch and brake pads @43K as the clutch was slipping in 3rd gear.... and the brake pads were woren out of becoz of the sloppy job in the 40K serice... :(

After going through few other threads i decided on Micheilen XM1+ thx BHPians. they are pretty silent compared to my OEM JKTyres
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:28   #88
Senior - BHPian

This thread really comes as a saviour at the most critical moment. My father's been complaining about the clutch since a while now because it's a little hard, and while getting off the pedal gently, there's a little vibration felt. There's no slippage whatsoever happening. He's adamant, so we're on the verge of sending the Corolla in, but I'd still like to know whether the clutch overhaul's really required, and if not, what can be done to solve the aforementioned problems. Rush, have some spare time for a short drive in the Corolla?
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:39   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
my case is opposite, clutch was slipping. car was revving but it wasnt picking up. it was pathetic to drive on gurgaon expressway. took myself to service center and asked him to change clutch. since wasnt sure of the job done, stayed at workshop whole day to see it being replaced, now the gearshifts are amazingly smooth.

odometer 44k, santro xing.
Not every Clutch replacement job is a con job. There are some genuine issues as well.
Old 4th December 2009, 00:10   #90
BHPian

I have heard that mechanics used to put sand between the clutch plate and spin it causing it to have scuff marks and then asking the customer to replace .I heard this from an old time garage owner who is a friend of my dad.He used to own a garage when ambys and fiats were the norm. and he can still work magic with those cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks