Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 07:48   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

Curious, do you blip while going down?
If blip means pressing the accelerator and dumping it so that the rpm goes up and then falls. No. I dont do that while changing gears.
Old 19th August 2011, 08:42   #347
Team-BHP Support

re: Figo TDCi: Dies occasionally while downshifting! Solved: Updated firmware by Ford

Hi!

What I meant was a gentle prod on the accelerator pedal while going down the 'box. Or rev-matching.
Old 19th August 2011, 13:05   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

What I meant was a gentle prod on the accelerator pedal while going down the 'box. Or rev-matching.
Is that required on gearboxes with synchromesh?

also, even if they don't blip, the problem happens immediately after they press the clutch and not when they are releasing the clutch - bliping may not change anything (unless there is a bug somewhere that is trying to cut down fuel supply in the first place) if some non-software problem is involved.
Old 19th August 2011, 18:11   #349
Team-BHP Support

Blipping or not, the Car shouldn't stall.

Blipping or rev-matching is done as soon as you de-clutch and start going down the 'box.

I am not saying blipping will iron out the problems, I was just curious. Its done to smooth-en out your shifts.

I don't know about syncros, but the best of the auto 'boxes blip prior to down shifting.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:25   #350
Senior - BHPian

Greeted by chimes again in the middle of the road.
Old 24th August 2011, 20:29   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Greeted by chimes again in the middle of the road.
did you refill at a different pump than normal? Any abnormalities, anything you have been doing differently?
Old 25th August 2011, 07:16   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
did you refill at a different pump than normal? Any abnormalities, anything you have been doing differently?
Over the last 2 month i have filled diesel from the most reputed pump in our locality. If i really think about it. The frequency of this happening was much lower when i filled from a COCO pump at Trivandrum (100km away from here). Earlier i used to visit trivandrum more frequently and could manage to fill from there.

Last time i spoke to the service engineer at ford he was pretty sure that its a diesel quality problem.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:27   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Over the last 2 month i have filled diesel from the most reputed pump in our locality. If i really think about it. The frequency of this happening was much lower when i filled from a COCO pump at Trivandrum (100km away from here). Earlier i used to visit trivandrum more frequently and could manage to fill from there.

Last time i spoke to the service engineer at ford he was pretty sure that its a diesel quality problem.
To me its the other way round, if I fill up at a BP COCO, my car stalls inadvertently. My last 6 refills are at a rather reputed HP pump (but not COCO) and for almost 3500 kms there has been no stalling. So seems like it does nailing out to be a fuel issue. But it is still a weird problem!

Gemi, could you try any other pump and let us know? What is your current pump?
Old 28th August 2011, 08:18   #354
Senior - BHPian

I am currently running on a full tank from the COCO pump and the engine is noticeably smooth and responsive than before. Yesterday i noticed two things by chance.

Was moving at around 60 in 4th gear and had to take a right turn ahead. Took the leg off the accelerator and moved for some time with the momentum. Then pressed the brake slightly for some time till i slowed down to speeds requiring gear change. Pressed the Clutch for the change and i say the rpm drop to just below 500 and climb back to 800. I think the engine managed to climb back this time since the a.c was off. Just a guess.

In the evening to start the car i inserted the key and turned it to hear the first set of chimes. While the first set of chimes were going on i pressed the clutch. I have a feeling i heard only 3 chime instead of four in the first set. I mean the chimes stopped immediately after the clutch was pressed and the next set continued. Will report if i manage to do it again,
Old 28th August 2011, 12:38   #355
BHPian

Quote:
I am currently running on a full tank from the COCO pump and the engine is noticeably smooth and responsive than before. Yesterday i noticed two things by chance.

Was moving at around 60 in 4th gear and had to take a right turn ahead. Took the leg off the accelerator and moved for some time with the momentum. Then pressed the brake slightly for some time till i slowed down to speeds requiring gear change. Pressed the Clutch for the change and i say the rpm drop to just below 500 and climb back to 800. I think the engine managed to climb back this time since the a.c was off. Just a guess.

In the evening to start the car i inserted the key and turned it to hear the first set of chimes. While the first set of chimes were going on i pressed the clutch. I have a feeling i heard only 3 chime instead of four in the first set. I mean the chimes stopped immediately after the clutch was pressed and the next set continued. Will report if i manage to do it again,
Gemi, since so many of Figo owners have reported the issue and since a lot of people's lives are at risk. Isn't it time to protest together as a group against Ford?

I'm surprised to see no official update from Ford on this issue and they continue to sell the car compromising the safety of a lot of people.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 28th August 2011 at 12:40.
Old 28th August 2011, 17:56   #356
Senior - BHPian

I think i had asked the same sometime earlier. But did not get any concrete response.
Old 6th September 2011, 10:51   #357
Team-BHP Support

Our Tata Safari recently showed this strange behavior. It stopped while moving, on its own.
Its an EX, 2.2 VTT with 50K on clock. We changed the fuel pump, issue almost got resolved, but cropped once again.

A local mechanic visited and said that when the driver takes out the front mats to clean and puts them back again, the mat rubs the remote sensor located near the driver foot-well and fouls with it causing it to stop the Car.

The Safari did a 850kms drive in 2 days and not once did the Car stall. (We filled up at COCO outlets)

Fuel-pump changed and ECU got looked into, should solve things and yes on either Car/Motorcycles we fill up a slight over the red-mark.

@gemi - I press the clutch twice-thrice prior to cranking up and due to Tata Cars, have had the habit of depressing the clutch while cranking up.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:30   #358
Senior - BHPian

4000 KMs w/o stalling. I am religiously refuelling at the same pump and looks like it helps! Or am I, like early man, forcibly relating to unrelated but co-exisiting incidents. In anyway, I am glad that it got solved w/o fiddling with anything.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 12:48   #359
BHPian

Well it happened again .

My car has done 19k and it has happned twice now. Fuel quality cant be suspect cos I have been filling up from the same pump for years now (My Indica did 1.3lac kms).
On both ocassions, I was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and the engine was relatively cold, had run 2-3 kms.
Since I will be heading for servicing soon, I will ask them to take a look. I have not reported the issue yet.

Thank God this happened while approaching a signal, otherwise with fast moving traffic in Delhi, probability of getting rear ended is quite high.
Old 14th September 2011, 13:48   #360
Senior - BHPian

A friend's Figo had this happen yesterday. He had slowed to take a turn and thats it... engine died, steering hardened. He says he had a close call with a truck because of this. He's been filling from the same bunk, so I don't think its the fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks