Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2014, 01:56   #2131
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Red Rooster Performance is offering TEIN springs (INR 30K) and Street Basis Suspension (INR 90K) for Verna CRDI (details here). One facebook review mentioned about RRP having a Verna test vehicle with the Street Basis Suspension, maybe it is worth giving a test drive.

Though these options look pricey, with them, Verna would then come closer to the perfect driver's car (except for the steering).
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 22:19   #2132
BHPian

Going over speed breakers (i.e., the unique B'lore variants) at slow to moderate speeds, I note a loud thud at times, especially when it's approached at an angle. It's as if the front left shock springs / damper rebound - is this a normal behavior?
Old 22nd April 2014, 00:49   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
Going over speed breakers (i.e., the unique B'lore variants) at slow to moderate speeds, I note a loud thud at times, especially when it's approached at an angle. It's as if the front left shock springs / damper rebound - is this a normal behavior?

Exactly what I'am facing in my car.
Old 24th April 2014, 14:32   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
Check this out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3398106

Also check my posts related to this topic on another thread. In Delhi, me and another Bhpian is having a hard time dealing with Hyundai on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Well, as far as I am concerned, I am having a hard time getting hyundai to change the coil springs.
After numerous emails to hyundai, today i got a call from regional office and the lady has flatly refused of any such tsb from hyundai under which coil springs are being replaced.

This is very frustrating specially when other dealers are replacing springs under warranty.
Mine is June 2012.model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
Hey Jaspreet,

Sad to hear about that :(
I havent got a chance to visit them yet but will try to soon. I am thinking of giving a visit to the Greater Noida service center where I had originally snapped that picture of the TSB for the thump noise. I didnt talk to those guys much as thought I will show it to the people at samara/hans hyundai and get it done but they ask for proof. I had a messy argument with the guy over it as they wanted me to prove it when I visited them last time. I told him that why would I bother to drive here and come to them unless I am facing issues to which he promptly said that they also need to prove it to the service center people. All this was last year when I had discovered that TSB I posted earlier. After a long test drive on Jail Road we were still nowhere as the road were quite good around the area.

A month back I was driving on the same road with both my parents seated at the back and brother in front passenger over the Jail road flyover and there was a pothole in the middle of the flyover which I didnt see and BAM came the thump noise again. My furiousness came back and decided to pursue this issue again. The AutoRunner spacers are available from Mumbai and a friend is currently there visiting and will return in June 1st week. If I can get the coil spring issue sorted till then under warranty, well and good else I will go for the rubber assisters. 4k for 4 pieces.
Quote:
The spacers are something which I also wanted to explore, but since it has some cons like stress on suspension, reduced life for springs and decreased tyre life. Then, since ppl were getting solution from.the oem itself, I decided to pursue this matter.

The lady at regional office has offered me to take the car to sikka Hyundai mayapuri and if i can show them the thud noise, they will give me a solution.
I am really fed up of banging the car in potholes to prove this problem. I fear damaging something else in this pursuit of mine.
Its really a pity on Hyundai's part.
Quote:
Did you not get any respose to your emails from hyundai or regional managers ? Or the call from the service center was supposed to be a response ?
Btw mine is also june 2012 1.6 ex crdi variant
Quote:
After several reminders, i got the call yesterday from regional office. That's the only response.

Btw, instead of spending 4k on spacers, why don't u get the coil springs changed on paid basis? Should cost almost the same.
Quote:
A few days back I had read somewhere it costs 10k then somewhere it said 4500+ taxes and last night i found in the thread by amyth that it costs close to 4k so i am considering that now. By the way your warranty is expiring this june unless u got extended warranty like me
Also there are 2 service centers on that mayapuri road...did you inquire at both of them ?
Check out my other thread on my recent mod
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...dic-verna.html
Quote:
I got extended warranty too.
Sikka Hyundai is one of the mayapuri ones, I will go there now on regional office's request.
Yep, I saw your mod, looks neat.
Quote:
I visited samara hyundai atoday and went through the same ordeal as always. They asked me to porve that the sound exists and they just cant replace anything unless an issue exists. I was resisting a test dribe but gave in and took a drive on jail road with 5 people seated and an empty cylinder, bass box and large suitcase in the box and as expected like last time, the potholes were all repaired so couldnt show the issue but the bouncy ride was present on uneven roads
So nothing good came out of it. When i was about to leave,
I asked him for regional manager details which he did noy have and instead gave me details for some amit bhatnagar at hmil. Just when i was about to leave, he called me back and asked me to sign a job work sheet which stated that i took a road test for suspension issue and no problems were found. Kinda to save his a**
I will try emailing the guy and see what happens.
Quote:
couldnt find a more appropriate smiley.

You went to Samara Mayapuri? I get my car serviced there, but for this issue my car was taken to Kirti Nagar Samara where they changed rear pads.

The guy at HMIL is Vaibhav Bhatnagar, I have sent atleast 3-4 emails but no response. Yesterday the lady from regional office also tried to take him on a confrence with me but i was told he is not reachable. I have a strong feeling, he did not want to talk to me because i would have given him a good one.

Later I was told by the lady that Vaibhav Bhatnagar already knows there is nothing wrong with my car and the best they can do is get it checked at some other service centre. Thats where Sikka Hyundai came into picture.

I suggest you call up HMIL regional office and speak with Punita(011-66379503). You can give my reference and we can put pressure together.
Just got a call from Sikka Hyundai Mayapuri, GM Service. He has requested me to bring in my car on Saturday. On the phone he agreed that there is a TSB under which for cars belonging to a specific VIN range, they have replaced the rear coil springs.

Last edited by revved_up : 24th April 2014 at 14:35.
Old 24th April 2014, 19:22   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Check this out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3398106

Also check my posts related to this topic on another thread. In Delhi, me and another Bhpian is having a hard time dealing with Hyundai on this.

Just got a call from Sikka Hyundai Mayapuri, GM Service. He has requested me to bring in my car on Saturday. On the phone he agreed that there is a TSB under which for cars belonging to a specific VIN range, they have replaced the rear coil springs.
I would also like to come this Saturday. Lets meet up there ! I will call you in the morning.

Last edited by mani_jeenu : 24th April 2014 at 19:24.
Old 24th April 2014, 20:52   #2136
BHPian

Quote:
I would also like to come this Saturday. Lets meet up there ! I will call you in the morning.
I plan to be there around 9ish in the morning. See you.
Old 24th April 2014, 22:58   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
they have replaced the rear coil springs.
What is your experience after change of rear springs. Do you have any information about the VIN range to which the TSB is applicable.

Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 23:09   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
What is your experience after change of rear springs. Do you have any information about the VIN range to which the TSB is applicable.

Thanks
Mine are still not changed, I will be going on Saturday. Hopefully, I will have the vin range after my visit.
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 05:15   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Mine are still not changed, I will be going on Saturday. Hopefully, I will have the vin range after my visit.
Hopefully your car will behave better after spring replacements. Hyundai may not reveal the VIN range for obvious reasons. Please try you best to get the info for the benefit of other bhpians.
Old 25th April 2014, 20:23   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
I swear - at times it really jolts you out of that pleasant drive mode!
Maybe with time the over active nature will ease out or at least we'll get used to it

That said, the ride is much better than the previous version. And yes, the turbo rush & the creature comforts definitely make you smile.

I am planning for this simple ICE setup - at EVO (Satya). Gurus any suggestion? Am on a tight budget as you'd notice -
  • Retaining OEM HU & my good ol' JBL GT5 644
  • 4 channel line output converter (TSK TD22)
  • Focal - KIT 165A1SG - 6.5'' Two Way Component System
  • Focal - KIT 165CA1 - 6.5'' Two Way Coaxial Speaker
  • Cerwin Vega HED3104 10" Sub - in a sealed enclosure
Old 26th April 2014, 07:18   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow Verna owners,

It has been 5 days since I got my Verna 1.4 CX crdi, would like to share few observations:

1) Gear shift is not that smooth, doesn't go into slots very smoothly
2) I could hear a sound inside the cabin when I change gears
3) There is THUD sound when going over the speed breaker
4) steering feels a bit life less

Have done 250 kms so far, will soon put my ownership thread.

thanks
Ravi
Congrats for your new car.

Regarding your observations 1 & 2 : Gear shift & slotting is among the best in Verna right from day one. I think, gear box of both 1.4 CRDI & 1.6 CRDI is the same. Gear throw is also delightfully short. Gear change is silent too. Get your car checked.

3 & 4 :- common observations of all owners, so you have nothing to worry about. Hopefully, you will get used to the steering in few more days. I have & no steering complaints for now.

How is the turbo lag in 1.4 CRDI ? At what rpm do you feel the turbo kicks in ? Is the tuning exactly same as i-20 CRDI? Do you feel power of your car is sufficient? It should provide better FE than 1.6 CRDI.

The difference in cost for the engine alone is only marginal. Any compelling reason for choosing 1.4 CRDI EX over 1.6 CRDI EX ? What was the offer you could manage from Hyundai?

Keep enjoying the car. Best wishes.

Thanks

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 26th April 2014 at 07:35. Reason: delete
Old 26th April 2014, 13:22   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Congrats for your new car.

Regarding your observations 1 & 2 : Gear shift & slotting is among the best in Verna right from day one. I think, gear box of both 1.4 CRDI & 1.6 CRDI is the same. Gear throw is also delightfully short. Gear change is silent too. Get your car checked.

3 & 4 :- common observations of all owners, so you have nothing to worry about. Hopefully, you will get used to the steering in few more days. I have & no steering complaints for now.

How is the turbo lag in 1.4 CRDI ? At what rpm do you feel the turbo kicks in ? Is the tuning exactly same as i-20 CRDI? Do you feel power of your car is sufficient? It should provide better FE than 1.6 CRDI.

The difference in cost for the engine alone is only marginal. Any compelling reason for choosing 1.4 CRDI EX over 1.6 CRDI EX ? What was the offer you could manage from Hyundai?

Keep enjoying the car. Best wishes.

Thanks
Thanks a lot buddy!

Yes, I will get the gear issue checked once i give it for 1st service. Not getting the time at all to drive Verna. My wife, she has recently learned driving and we are taking our other car (beat) on outings so that she gets use to driving quickly.

Turbo lag is not at all bad, i really don’t feel that the car is struggling for power. Per my observation (based on 400 KM of sedate driving) turbo kicks in around 1900-2000 RPM. Tuning is slightly improved as compared to i20, you can pick the car from even 3 or 4th gear without stalling it.

Actually, i had no plans to buy Verna. We went to book the grand i10 auto for my wife but soon we got to know that Xcent will be out and we booked the same on 12th March (diesel). We were told that we will get the car before 31st March, but still there was no sign of car till 10th April'14. On 11th i got the call that car can be delivered on 13th April'14, i went to pick the car with my Wife on Sunday but to my shock they denied delivery of car.

My red Xcent was parked in there stockyard but due to RTO issues it would not be possible to get the car before 20TH, on this wife got so irritated that she asked which car can be delivered right now ( i was like ), SA told us that they have white 1.4 CRDI CX model which they can deliver in next 6 hours. Wife said ok and asked me to handover the check for remaining amount. Did the PDI, car seemed Ok, it was Feb'14 make, dealer got the car on 24th March'14. This is how we got 1.4 CX model.

Buy the way got good discount due to entire issue, i didn't had to utter a word and AGM sales gave us discount and freebies and also apologized. Few days later we got a call from the head of sales as well, he also apologized for the entire issue.

Somewhere i feel lucky that I didn’t get the delivery of Xcent, Verna is definitely a better car and also a segment above.
Overall price difference was INR 1,50,000.00
Hope it will serve me well.
Old 26th April 2014, 13:50   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
Wife said ok and asked me to handover the check for remaining amount. This is how we got 1.4 CX model.

Somewhere i feel lucky that I didn’t get the delivery of Xcent, Verna is definitely a better car and also a segment above.
Overall price difference was INR 1,50,000.00
Hope it will serve me well.
Have to carry out the orders of bosses, no escaping . Verna is a much better car than Xcent. Personally I do not like comprised sedans, rather I would like a full fledged hatch. I will pick i-20 over Xcent any day. Xcent is same as Grand i-10 with a boot (Wheel base is same at 2425 mm ) , next segment is i-20 & next is Verna. IMO Verna is two segments above Xcent. I had a TD of Grand diesel. It is awfully under powered. You will simply forget the difference of 1.5 L while enjoying your Verna.

The above are my opinions only, no offense to any one please.

Keep us updated mate, there is not much info available on Verna 1.4 CRDI as such.

Cheers
Old 26th April 2014, 14:49   #2144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....on this wife got so irritated that she asked which car can be delivered right now ( i was like ), SA told us that they have white 1.4 CRDI CX model which they can deliver in next 6 hours. Wife said ok and asked me to handover the check for remaining amount...
Made my day! You should be thankful they didn't have a Santa Fe for ready delivery! You would have gone thru some seriously filmy emotions and looks during these 2-3 mins.

Anyway congrats on the new car.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th April 2014 at 14:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 22:40   #2145
BHPian

Today, me and @mani_jeenu went to Sikka Hyundai as planned. After reaching, I was again told that a SA will take a test drive and try to reproduce the thud noise. We did a test drive of about 5-6 Km and as expected could not reproduce the thud noide.

Now, i was again given an indication by delaer that unless they hear the noise, they cannot do anything. At this, I said, this is something intermitent and might not come always. After alot of discussion, a senior SA took the RC of my and Manish's car. 15 minutes later, another SA came and said he wants another test ride with 5 ppl on board. So, off we went for a test drive, this time on broken roads in the nearby industrial area, but again, no sound.

By this time, I was irritiated how we were deliberately manhandling the car. Again, we were told that they cannot replace unless they hear any noise. We spoke to the GM-Service, but everyone gave an impression that they have clear instructions from Hyundai not to replace anything.

Even after my telling them several times that other dealers are replacing the coil springs under warranty, they wont budge. Manish also spoke to the area service manager, he promissed to get back to us on this.

Frankly, I am fed of all this now and have almost made up my mind to live with the issue at hand.

Really a frustrating experience it has been.

Last edited by revved_up : 26th April 2014 at 22:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks