Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 10:38   #2641
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
My 2011 verna crdi SX done about 69k kms has an air condition problem. It works on long drives and on highway speeds. But does not chill in traffic. If switched on in traffic i have to make sure to keep revs high for it to cool. Had got the cooling coil replaced in 2015 post that it worked well until now. This problem cropped up in the rains but is noticeable now. My Ac mechanic serviced ac and topped up gas but it is not satisfactory. What could the problem be? Is it the air compressor? Anyone else faced similar issue?
The AC compressor is faulty. The compressor clutch to be more specific is cutting out at lower engine speeds and thus not providing sufficient cooling.

Do you notice an increase in rpm at idle when you switch the air con on? If you don't, the compressor isn't kicking in.

Take it to Hyundai or an FNG and ask them to check it.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 06:32   #2642
BHPian

Six Year Ownership Review

RECAP

I bought my second car, the Hyundai Verna 1.6 VTVT in September 2014 and it has been a wonderful relationship ever since. The Hyundai Verna has been a reliable member of our family and we have grown to love it with a lot of fondness.

Prelude : Circa 2013

I am in a transferable job and was stationed in Pune during 2013. I had a Tata Indica DLS which was a 2008 model. Though it served me well for the first 4 years, soon it had started giving niggling issues. The Tata service centres all over India are essentially the same, they have mechanics who can rectify routine issues but in this process they end up spoiling some other part. Tata Car owners on the forum may not agree with me but back then the service quality was nothing to write home about. Once in 2011, I was driving near Pune railway station when suddenly a massive plume of black smoke started coming out from under the hood. The traffic cop on duty got petrified and told me “ Gadi mein aag lagne wali hai”. I stopped the engine and called up the service centre. An hour later they arrived and found that one of the fuel inlet piles was leaking and spraying diesel all over the hot engine. There were many other small issues which had occurred in the past but I brushed them off thinking that Tata will surely improve.

The last straw to break the Camel’s back occurred in 2014 when I was driving on the Mumbai Pune E-Way (Yashwantrao Chavan E-Way : named after the first CM of Maharashtra) and at some moment of time the brakes went rock hard. I had my wife and infant child with me and it was only because of the relatively low traffic density and straight stretch of road that I could safely use engine braking for navigating the car on the service lane. Somehow the day ended with us reaching home in one piece, but the incident scarred my mind against Tata for a lifetime.

Back to 2021

The Car has been now driven for a half and six years, over 47k KMs. My family consists of myself, wife and her excellency who is now eight. Most of our trips (47k KMs) have been within the city limits but that doesn't mean that we haven't left harbour ever!

The following are some of the road trips which we have undertaken...

Notable Road Trips made in these Six Years

I have driven the Verna extensively and the performance has been, touchwood, amazing. Hyundai has produced a reliable engine which seldom lets down its customer and, in my case, NEVER. I have read lots of review on this forum where the Verna owners have written that the handling is “boat like” at high speeds. I really don’t know what speeds are being talked about but in my opinion no car should be driven at a speed higher than the speed limit. Also, having been on boats for a considerable part of my service, I am sure that the Verna wouldn’t come even close to a boat like ride! The following were the long-distance trips made with the Verna:

Ahmedabad to Pune – September 2014.

Pune to Aurangabad to Ajanta Caves - November 2014.

Pune to Jaisalmer – March 2015.

Jaisalmer to Bhatinda – July 2016.

Bhatinda to Chandigarh via New Delhi – May 2017.

Chandigarh to Lucknow – December 2017.

Chandigarh to Hussainiwala (Ferozpur) – August 2018.

Chandigarh to Atari Border (Amristsar) – September 2018.

Chandigarh to Kasauli (40 minute trip!) – August 2019 & October 2019.

Chandigarh to New Delhi (& back) – September 2018, October 2018.

Chandigarh to Pune – October 2019.

Handling & Performance: The Verna has a very smooth responsive steering mated with an excellent gear box which has given me an exhilarating drive every time. My child was 2 years old when she first sat in this car and now, she too is simply in love with it. The engine has a fair amount of muscle and is always available on tap, though I never tapped much!

Fuel Efficiency: I always drive with the windows rolled up and AC at about 23 degrees. My FE figures are on tank top up figures. The best highway FE I achieved was during my Chandigarh Lucknow road trip at 20.2 KMPL. Average on the highway has been 16 KMPL and in the city I get about 12 KMPL. I always keep the tyres at 32 PSI pressure so generally these figures are easily achievable by sober driving.

Brakes: The braking is very good especially when facing the erratic Indian traffic. Many times, I have had a close shave due to some wise guy coming on the wrong side and each time the Verna’s brakes delivered. The tyres are Bridgestone standard fitments and I got them changed only last month after having driven them for six and a half years.

Seating Comfort: My only complaint has been the seating because of which we use a cushion to prop ourselves a couple of inches higher than normal. The view from the driver’s seat is absolutely terrible and I really don’t know what the other Verna owners have done to improve this aspect. I feel Hyundai should raise the seats by at least a couple of inches in order to improve the overall driving comfort.

Hyundai Service: I have got my Verna serviced from service centres at Chandigarh, Bhatinda, Jodhpur, New Delhi and of course, Pune. My experience has been fairly good with most of the service advisors being fairly responsive as well as more knowledgeable than what I witnessed in Tata. The Hyundai India twitter handle is also very responsive and absolutely no complaints on that aspect.

Famous last words…

I am totally in awe with the Verna’s overall performance for these last six and a half years. I feel that Hyundai gauged the Indian consumer really well ever since it introduced the Santro in 1996 (if memory serves me right). The Santro too, grew to be an iconic Indian car for the middle class and I equate it with legends like Humara Bajaj and the ubiquitous Maruti 800, which defined an entire generation’s culture and lifestyle.

I am also an advocate of safe driving and I feel that the vehicle respects only those owners who respect the vehicle. We must understand that driving is not only a requirement or pleasure, but also a responsibility. The roads are used by everyone and we need to follow the traffic rules, EVERYTIME. No matter how many safety features are loaded in any vehicle, no one can claim invincibility.

I feel that vehicles, though metal clad, too have a soul. I have always grown to love and respect my car and I feel it too has loved me and my family back. Every September 4th, we cut a cake for the Verna and sometimes, I feel it gives us a wide and loving smile when we aren’t looking!

The Silver Salver : Circa 2014
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-hyundai-verna-sep-2014-lake.jpg

Trip to Aurangabad from Pune:2014.. A relief seeing houses after the skyscrapers of the Metro
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-hyundai-verna-aurangabad-house.jpg

The Silver Salver flanked by Black, my beloved friend. Unfortunately she was bitten by a monitor lizard (known as Ghorpad in Maharashtra) and died of the infection despite our best efforts
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-hyundai-verna-blacky-dappar.jpg

A magnificent Car alongside a magnificent building
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-hyundai-verna-patiala.jpg
nda992 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 17:36   #2643
BHPian

Asking on behalf of my friend.

Owns a 2014 Fluidic Verna Diesel and has run 80k kms. Off late the lights on MID flickers when clutch is being released post gear shift. This happens mostly in 1st and 2nd gears.
Also, the MID flickers and Music System goes "Off" for a split second(and then comes back On) when headlight is flashed. This happens during both day and night while driving. Any idea as to what might be the issue?

As usual car was not used much during Covid First lockdown. A new Amaron Battery was installed 6 months ago and car is being driven atleast weekly twice (min 100 kms)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by akhil_007 : 23rd March 2022 at 17:38.
Old 21st September 2022, 13:04   #2644
BHPian

Hey nda992! the nostalgia that hit me seeing the house in aurangabad! i actually lived in A'bad for a year when we returned from the U.S in 2013 till 2014! that blue and white house and that skoda fabia bring back memories as that house is on the main road right? opposite to the mosque, i used to live just a bit of distance away in park lane opposite tata stadium! Do you have relatives in aurangabad?
Old 21st September 2022, 22:49   #2645
BHPian

Must be an issue with a fuse or something as same issue is happening in our 2008 swift with 150k on the odo it has water leaking in the cabin so could be a cause, we are using our verna hence the swift is at the mechanic's garage forgotten but will ask what the issue was tomorrow
Old 8th October 2022, 20:06   #2646
BHPian

There was a wining sound coming while accelerating the car from last few months. More the acceleration more the sound used to increase. Visited various mechanics including HASS. All tried and changed few bearing associated to engine but sound remained as it is. Later they used to say that AC compressor has gone Kaput and you need to replace AC compressor bearing by opening compressor or change the compressor which would cost 12 to 15k.

Today visited FNG and he took me to an AC guy in Delhi Rajouri Garden. He diagnosed the problem as bearing of AC compressor pulley for which compressor opening is not required.

All he charged me was Rs1000 including the bearing and the sound had totally gone.

Overall very satisfied with the job done. Person's name is Ahmad. Pics attached.
Gearup_1111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 20:46   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 View Post
There was a wining sound coming while accelerating the car from last few months. More the acceleration more the sound used to increase. Visited various mechanics including HASS. All tried and changed few bearing associated to engine but sound remained as it is. Later they used to say that AC compressor has gone Kaput and you need to replace AC compressor bearing by opening compressor or change the compressor which would cost 12 to 15k.

Today visited FNG and he took me to an AC guy in Delhi Rajouri Garden. He diagnosed the problem as bearing of AC compressor pulley for which compressor opening is not required.

All he charged me was Rs1000 including the bearing and the sound had totally gone.

Overall very satisfied with the job done. Person's name is Ahmad. Pics attached.

Pics attached of previous post
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-20221008_115530.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-20221008_115513.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-20221008_115559.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-20221008_120125.jpg  

Gearup_1111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 21:46   #2648
BHPian

Hi, sorry for the very late response! We were driving down from Pune to see the majestic Ajanta & Ellora Caves when we passed Aurangabad. But hey, I can relate to your sentiment, Aurangabad being a small & neatly laid out town. Hope you get to visit it more often!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks