Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2018, 20:35   #2626
BHPian

Re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Hahahaha. And all this time, I was searching for the fuse puller inside the dashboard fusebox!!!

Thanks a ton!
Old 4th August 2018, 10:53   #2627
BHPian

Hi All,

I own a verna diesel 2012 sx model. The car has done close to 77000 Kms. Last few months I am observing the following regarding clutch and gear shift:

1. The clutch has become hard and the biting point has gone quite low, closer to the floor.
2. No issues with clutch slipping or pickup.
3. The gears ( 1>2>3) slot in easily at the start of the ride but once the engine becomes warm, engaging 1st gear from say 2nd while in motion is becoming an issue. I have to bring the car to complete halt to slot in the 1st gear. If i try to downshift to 1st gear while the car is in motion, i can hear a grinding noise (sometimes) or have to wrestle with the gear stick.
4. After after driving for around 1.5 hrs in traffic, while parking the vehicle, i am able to engage the reverse gear but disengaging is a real task. I have to really pull the stick hard to bring it to neutral while pressing the clutch fully. At times it gets stuck for few seconds.
5. No problems while up-shifting.

What could be the problem here. Could it be a problem with master cylinder and slave cylinder? Will clutch bleeding help to detect the problem? Will gear box need to be opened?

Anyone who faced a similar issue? Wondering whether to take the car to a FNG, given H.A.S.S will be an expensive affair. Will appreciate any help in this regard.

BTW, I spoke to the Hyundai SM, he gave a blanket quote of 24k without even examining the car. He said it is a standard occurrence in diesel verna cars and typically the clutch needs an overhaul at around 70-80k kms.

Last edited by champ27 : 4th August 2018 at 10:55.
Old 5th August 2018, 06:45   #2628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Hi All,

I own a verna diesel 2012 sx model. The car has done close to 77000 Kms. Last few months I am observing the following regarding clutch and gear shift:

1. The clutch has become hard and the biting point has gone quite low, closer to the floor.
3. The gears ( 1>2>3) slot in easily at the start of the ride but once the engine becomes warm, engaging 1st gear from say 2nd while in motion is becoming an issue. I have to bring the car to complete halt to slot in the 1st gear. If i try to downshift to 1st gear while the car is in motion, i can hear a grinding noise (sometimes) or have to wrestle with the gear stick.
4. After after driving for around 1.5 hrs in traffic, while parking the vehicle, i am able to engage the reverse gear but disengaging is a real task. I have to really pull the stick hard to bring it to neutral while pressing the clutch fully. At times it gets stuck for few seconds.

What could be the problem here. Could it be a problem with master cylinder and slave cylinder? Will clutch bleeding help to detect the problem? Will gear box need to be opened?

Anyone who faced a similar issue? Wondering whether to take the car to a FNG, given H.A.S.S will be an expensive affair. Will appreciate any help in this regard.

BTW, I spoke to the Hyundai SM, he gave a blanket quote of 24k without even examining the car. He said it is a standard occurrence in diesel verna cars and typically the clutch needs an overhaul at around 70-80k kms.
I too have the same diesel model and had faced a similar issue. I used drive to office in bumper to bumper traffic everyday in Bangalore with clutch half-pressed. The car developed similar problems and after taking it to the authorized service center, I got to know that the clutch plate had worn out completely because of very heavy usage, in fact ( half clutch ) and I was told to get the full assembly ( clutch plate + master and slave cylinder setup ) replaced which was around Rs. 25,000. The SA is right and there is no other solution to this. The other issue is, you cannot get the individual parts repaired or replaced. You will have to get the full clutch assembly replaced in its entirety.This is very common in Verna Fluidic diesel cars. Not sure about the petrol variants. I would strongly recommend you to go with SA advice as that is the only thing that works.

You are lucky enough to have done 75k plus kilometers in your car.
I had to get it replaced at 55 thousand KM.

Hope it helps !

Last edited by Amyth Prabhakar : 5th August 2018 at 06:49.
Amyth Prabhakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:57   #2629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ27 View Post
Hi All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyth Prabhakar View Post
I too have the same diesel model and had faced a similar issue. I used drive to office in bumper to bumper traffic everyday in Bangalore with clutch half-pressed. The car developed similar problems and after taking it to the authorized service center, I got to know that the clutch plate had worn out completely because of very heavy usage, in fact ( half clutch ) and I was told to get the full assembly ( clutch plate + master and slave cylinder setup ) replaced which was around Rs. 25,000. The SA is right and there is no other solution to this. The other issue is, you cannot get the individual parts repaired or replaced. You will have to get the full clutch assembly replaced in its entirety.This is very common in Verna Fluidic diesel cars. Not sure about the petrol variants. I would strongly recommend you to go with SA advice as that is the only thing that works.

Hope it helps !

I would say you were still luckier that me. I own a 2013 petrol Verna and faced a clutch issue at 21,000 kms while on a trip to a hill station. Halfway through bumper to bumper traffic on ghats, I heard a loud thud followed by the clutch being too smooth as if is not connected to anything. On towing the car to Vishal Hyundai in Panvel the SA diagnosed the clutch master cylinder to be the problem.

He went on to extend the diagnosis to the clutch plate even though it wasn't worn out as such. Thus a whole replacement costing 28,000 was suggested. However on probing further we learned this wasn't really needed and we just changed the Clutch cylinders. The master and slave cylinders should be changed as a pair to ensure synchronisation with each other. This costed me roughly 8,000 rupees.

Ensure to check your clutch plate with a new one to see the difference of being worn out. It's essential to be vigilant in such cases.

Hopefully this should help you decide better
Akshay.Hemmady is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 20:57   #2630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyth Prabhakar View Post
I too have the same diesel model and had faced a similar issue. I used drive to office in bumper to bumper traffic everyday in Bangalore with clutch half-pressed. The car developed similar problems and after taking it to the authorized service center, I got to know that the clutch plate had worn out completely because of very heavy usage, in fact ( half clutch ) and I was told to get the full assembly ( clutch plate + master and slave cylinder setup ) replaced which was around Rs. 25,000...

Hope it helps !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay.Hemmady View Post
I would say you were still luckier that me. I own a 2013 petrol Verna and faced a clutch issue at 21,000 kms while on a trip to a hill station. Halfway through bumper to bumper traffic on ghats, I heard a loud thud followed by the clutch being too smooth as if is not connected to anything...

... The master and slave cylinders should be changed as a pair to ensure synchronisation with each other. This costed me roughly 8,000 rupees.

Ensure to check your clutch plate with a new one to see the difference of being worn out. It's essential to be vigilant in such cases.

Hopefully this should help you decide better
Thanks Amyth and Akshay. This definitely helps in taking an informed decision. I will go for a complete clutch assembly overhaul.
My office commute is exactly similar to yours, i.e, driving in bumper to bumper traffic for long hours everyday. Though I try to avoid driving in half clutch as far as possible but it has eventually taken a toll on the clutch as well as on my poor knee
Old 15th August 2018, 11:48   #2631
BHPian

My Fluidic has done 86 k, the clutch has become harder, but still manageable. I had taken my car to HASS. The SA checked & advised to continue for 5/10 k more before going for clutch overhaul & had quoted approx 25 k.
My relative's Fluidic diesel has done 122 k with original clutch. I had a feel of his car's clautch which felt harder than mine. He mostly travels on highways , thus even at 122k, the car is on original clutch.
Life of clautch is very much dependant on where the car is driven. Let's see how much more miles I can clock before I go for an overhaul.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 14:33   #2632
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just an update on my previous post around clutch replacement for my Verna.

I got it done last week and now it's back to the original state.

Complete assembly had to be replaced which included clutch master cylinder, release cylinder, bearing - clutch release, pressure plate and clutch disc.

Cost of parts came to around 18k and labor charge was approx 4k. Total cost = 22k (including taxes)

Sharing pics of the replaced parts:

Clutch disc:

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img20180825wa0002.jpg

Pressure plate:

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img20180825wa0003.jpg

Clutch Master Cylinder:

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img20180825wa0001.jpg

Clutch RC:

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img20180825wa0004.jpg

Clutch Bearing - Release

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-img20180825wa0005.jpg
champ27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 11:58   #2633
BHPian

Guys, need your help for a headlight upgrade. Have created a thread for the same:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...b-upgrade.html

Please advise!
Old 11th March 2019, 10:30   #2634
BHPian

I’m very curious about fellow owners having clutch replacements at 20-25k kms. Is this a defective batch of Verna’s or something ??? I haven’t heard of Verna’s needing clutch replacements so soon.

I’m at 1.6L kms and still on stock clutch. Maybe a wee bit hard now, but still no issues-nothing that’s affecting my daily drives.
Old 11th March 2019, 11:33   #2635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
I’m at 1.6L kms and still on stock clutch. Maybe a wee bit hard now, but still no issues-nothing that’s affecting my daily drives.
For a Diesel, 20-25K is definitely early when it comes to clutch replacement but I am not surprised because the SAs at workshops in cities that have bad B2B traffic always refer to many cases where they are replaced around 30-40K kms! Same is the case with brake pads as well.

As for you, 1.6L is indeed wonderful life that gets attributed to good driving habits along with regular highway runs that you undertake. Also, since the wear of the clutch is gradual, you won't know the difference a new clutch would make now when it will be due to replacement. The existing clutch for sure would have become 'weak' to certain extent that a new clutch will make your car surge ahead like a rocket including the in gear acceleration too.
Old 17th March 2019, 18:24   #2636

I have a Fluidic Verna 1.6SX petrol of 2013 which has done 27000 km. The clutch had become hard and not engaging/biting in till about 60% of pedal travel. Had to replace the entire assembly based on diagnosis by Shivam Hyundai in Pune, it is very unusual and early. Costed 16K as the service manager is known to me and passed on some good discounts.
Old 18th March 2019, 17:23   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelust View Post
I have a Fluidic Verna 1.6SX petrol of 2013 which has done 27000 km. The clutch had become hard and not engaging/biting in till about 60% of pedal travel. Had to replace the entire assembly based on diagnosis by Shivam Hyundai in Pune, it is very unusual and early. Costed 16K as the service manager is known to me and passed on some good discounts.
Its actually too early for an assembly overhaul.
I am at 50k km on a Jan 2014 model. Clutch is hard but nothing critical so far in terms of transmission.

Can you post a pic of the bill breakup for this activity ?
Old 19th March 2019, 03:08   #2638
Senior - BHPian

I had a Verna CRDi SX(O) manual between 2013 and 2018 - the clutch was still light enough for a 100,000+ KM run car, and had no slippage, mileage varying between 15 and 17 KMPL depending upon driving conditions. I'm sure I could have pushed it at least 150,000 KM had I not sold the car.

I'm not sure about Petrol Vernas, but unless someone's riding the clutch or is a street/ rally racer, the Diesel's clutch definitely last. The service centres may run the clutch scam, though!
Old 24th May 2019, 15:17   #2639
BHPian

Has anyone had a problem with the verna's turbo? My 2011 fluidic verna's turbo is not working for more than a year now. The SA says it would cost close to a lakh to replace it.

The ODO reading is about 1,25,xxxx.
Any suggestion or input would be great.

Thank you.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:29   #2640
BHPian

My 2011 verna crdi SX done about 69k kms has an air condition problem. It works on long drives and on highway speeds. But does not chill in traffic. If switched on in traffic i have to make sure to keep revs high for it to cool. Had got the cooling coil replaced in 2015 post that it worked well until now. This problem cropped up in the rains but is noticeable now. My Ac mechanic serviced ac and topped up gas but it is not satisfactory. What could the problem be? Is it the air compressor? Anyone else faced similar issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks