Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 19:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!

The story for this car is very complicated, and kind of overlaps with the 320D thread. We wanted to replace the Innova, and after looking at the Laura L&K, Superb etc we test drove the 320D CE. But then decided that if anything we should look at the top of the line. So luckily for me, a 320D Exclusive came home and you can read about that in its own thread.

But still, the 3 was no replacement for the Innova. We needed a car which the driver could drive up and down from the office everyday, a car which was not stiffly sprung like the 3, and a car with a reasonable amount of space. Also this car needed to be fun to drive, so that I was happy when I got the car in the nights. Did I mention not too heavy on the pocket either?

We had pretty much finalized on the Laura L&K before picking up the Bimmer, so decided to look at the Laura again, except this time lower models. The Jetta is overpriced IMO, the Cruze was good but then not as good an overall package as the Laura.

This full saga started last November, we went down to the Skoda dealer and looked at the price list of the Laura and the Yeti. The Yeti was something my father really liked but I convinced him against it saying we had no use for the 4wd and that the Laura was a bit more spacious (it seemed to me). After speaking to the sales people we learnt there was a good discount on the TSI and thought it would be a good buy.

After the Bimmer we didn't really care about features and just wanted a nice car, even if not fully loaded. Another month passed, and we went back in December thinking about the vRS this time hoping we would get the same discount on it being petrol. Sadly there was no discount, and we had planned to buy a TSI and add the elegance rims, stanley leather and xenon lights. This is pretty much finalised.

Now luckily the formalities from our company took longer than expected so it became Jan, and the salesperson called me up saying he had good news. The vRS (called RS from now on ) was also being given at a similar discount as the TSI. This was ideal. We sat and debated this against the Ambiente TDI DSG, but for some reason the RS seemed to make more sense. With the great interiors, xenons, and the knick knacks.

So finally the RS was booked in white and delivered 9 days ago. Its run about 550kms in all and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Some nice pictures will be added on the weekend so bear with me till then. So on to the car now -

The engine
This tsi motor is not what is offered in the RS abroad. Its the same as the other trims, but yet it packs quite a punch. 160bhp is no joke, nor is 250nm. Though it is less powerful than the 3 and the V6 it doesn't really feel so. Its a gem, just like the other 2. Revvs to the redline like only a Honda should, refined like the Euro car that it is. Infact too refined, I wish there was a slightly louder exhaust. The turbo noise can be heard sometimes, and sounds nice. This car is almost diesel like to drive with the torque all over the power band. 40th in 4th? No problem. And it picks up decently from there onwards too. Unfortunately I got tempted with this car too and have redlined numerous times, thought I advise you to run in your car till 1000/1500kms.

The gearbox
Its a 6 speed + reverse, the same as in the other petrol Lauras. The throws are short and precise, and feel good. Its a joy to drive the car with this gearbox. I'm enjoying a nice petrol manual car after a while, and driving quick in this car shifting through the gears gives a thrill which no auto box can give, paddles or not, dsg or not.

The suspension
Apparently the only mechanical change to the RS. A stiffened suspension. In the official review it was said to be pretty stiff. Its actually plush compared to the 3 and the Accord on Konis. So for us the ride is not bad at all, and most won't really have an issue with it. The body roll seems controlled and the car is a good handler, it also feels relatively chuckable. Though the height at which it is, makes taking corners fast feel a bit weird after the lower slung other cars in the house. Haven't pushed the car too much so I can't comment on the overall handling/grip.

Exteriors
Again subtle changes, that only the people who should notice will notice i.e enthusiasts. The front sport bumper with the LED DRLs looks sexy, and gets many stares. The rims look a bit small for the car, but then if they were bigger the ride would have been compromised. Still the design is fine and they do not look out of place on the car. Infact after some brake dust has settled they have become a shade darker and look way better than the bright silver they actually are. The spoiler ads a touch of sportiness, and so does the silver exhaust tip. The vRS badges add about 30 mental horsepower too. LOL.

Interiors
Brilliant. The sports seats hug you, though larger people may find them uncomfortable. Everyone who has seen the car has been praise for the interiors. The mix of white alcantra, black cloth and black leather with contrast stitching looks plain sporty and no stanley leather could have made it look this nice. The silver trim again adds to the look. The steering wheel is the perfect size, and of the perfect thickness. The sunroof is a nice little feature to have too. Another thing which is nice is the dial sweep when the ignition is switched on, it just looks cool. The music system is surprisingly good, and is almost or as good the Bimmers system which has 10 speakers.

Features
It has all the segment safety features, like ABS, 4 airbags, ASR. Another neat thing is tyre pressure loss warning which has to be set everytime air is filled. It uses the abs sensors to check the rotational speeds of each tire and comes to know if air has been lost in any, and accordingly warns us.
The touchscreen HU is nice, and easy to use. I wish the car had bluetooth along with controls on the steering, just for convenience sake.
The xenon headlights are superb, and with them moving along with the steering wheel and the cornering fogs at slower speeds visibility is not really an issue. Puddle lights are there in the front mirrors too.
The interior mirror auto dims, and behind that is the rain sensor and light sensor. Though the car doesn't have auto lights it will take just some coding and swapping the light switch to get them.
The seats are fully manual with height adjust and lumbar support, so getting a good position is not difficult.
Otherwise an MID is present with the usual, average and instant l/100km, speed, dte, etc.

General review
The steering lacks feel, and can make someone hesitant to push the car on turns. Though it is reasonably direct. The combo of that engine + the slick manual means its really been quite a blast to drive. Its got a solid push in 2nd gear and accelerates pretty quick. So all 3 of my cars are around the 8 second mark to 100kmph with this being about the same speed as the Accord. Any more than half throttle in first and it wheelspins quite a bit.

The car is very stable, and is unfazed by bumps even at speed. It seems to glide over some of them which would shake me up in other cars. It is not as good at speed as the Konis on the Accord, but honestly a great all round suspension.

I already got Vkool K37 on the sides and back, and V70 on the winscreen and that has made the supposedly weak ac of the Laura seem very good. Also the tires were changed to 205/55 R16 (stock size) Yokohama A-Drive R1s, because no others were available. I was driving it on the Sealink about 2 nights after I got it, and had planned to keep everything stock on this car, but while driving I decided to give it the beans. And seeing the rate at which it reached unmentionable speeds got the tyres changed the next day, so at least there would be no problems if I cross the speed of the H rated stock tyres (theres your hint to the speed).

This car is fun, and who knows you guys might just see a remap or something on this soon. Maybe even before the Bimmer goes under the knife. Also you can expect a detailed comparo of the Accord, the BMW, and this and also how I have a bloody hard time choosing which one to take out at night.

Sorry for the very haphazard review, I have exams going on at the moment. Feel free to ask any questions.
Cheers.

EDIT - Oh, the mileage seems to be around 8.5kmpl which is really not bad considering I haven't really been to easy on the car. Also need to get some coding done for minor things, like switching the l/100km into kmpl, and auto lock and unlock.

Here are a few pics. Haven't taken that many but will keep adding some over the next week. The quality is not that great since they were shot under the afternoon sun. These are of the exteriors mainly, and a teaser of the interior. Expect more by this evening.

Mod Note: Added later pics in the first post for everyone's viewing pleasure .Thanks for sharing!
Attached Thumbnails
TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-img2012022100070.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-img2012022100071.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-img2012022100073.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1577.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1580.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1587.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1588.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1592.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1593.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1598.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd July 2020 at 22:03. Reason: Typo
Akshay1234 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 19:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Man, you gotta be kidding me!

Punto, Accord V6, Beemer 320d and now a vRS! You are enjoying every droplet of fuel you are putting in your cars! Cangrats and looking forward to a bit more detailed review once you get to know the car a bit more!

Drive safe will ya!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 19:49   #3
BHPian

congrats mate! i've driven the TSI ambiente, and thats crazy performance for that price. VRS looks very sporty. If Skoda Had kept the DSG as an option, That would be one hell of a package.

Anyway thats quite a cool line-up of cars u've got. A Petrolhead Family i guess

Ps: Some more pics pls.

Last edited by goutham_r : 1st March 2012 at 19:50.
goutham_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 20:03   #4
BHPian

Excellent purchase mate. Nice and crisp review from you. Looking forward to more pics from you in the weekend.

Happy revving!

Cheers,
Kaushik
kaush666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 20:13   #5
BHPian

Mother of God! It looks awesome in white! Congratulation's man! Waiting for more pictures to come up soon. Damn, I want one of these but my father isn't very keen to spend so much on a car :\

The DRL's look as good as on the one's on the E-Class! I would be grateful if you could tell me the discounts currently available on the Ambition and the vRS (err, RS). Thanks and congratulation's once again
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 21:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
We needed a car which the driver could drive up and down from the office everyday
Next time you are out looking for a new driver, do call me.

Quote:
So finally the RS was booked in white and delivered 9 days ago.
What did this car cost on the road?

Quote:
Unfortunately I got tempted with this car too and have redlined numerous times, thought I advise you to run in your car till 1000/1500kms.
What the??? You advised me to go bonkers when I got my new car and now you are saying to take it easy for the run in.

Quote:
The vRS badges add about 30 mental horsepower too.
Any badge that talks power, even if nothing exists, it just feels good to say it and know that it is there.

Quote:
Another thing which is nice is the dial sweep when the ignition is switched on, it just looks cool.
In line with the character of the car and very RS.

Quote:
I wish the car had bluetooth along with controls on the steering, just for convenience sake.
Woah ho ho....how on earth did Skoda miss adding these on a car like this? I know it is a drivers car and drivers are not meant to fiddle with these things when your driving. All said and done, they still add a world of convenience.

Quote:
The steering lacks feel, and can make someone hesitant to push the car on turns.
Very un Skoda character. Strange.

Quote:
Its got a solid push in 2nd gear and accelerates pretty quick.
The sweet spot on my car is the 2nd gear too.

Quote:
Any more than half throttle in first and it wheelspins quite a bit.
The same on a Fiat Linea T Jet though it may not continue to spin as long.

Quote:
I already got Vkool K37 on the sides and back, and V70 on the winscreen and that has made the supposedly weak ac of the Laura seem very good.
Nice. Is the tint level of this V Kool model road legal? I can't tell from that number V37 and V70. What did it cost? Considering tints just for the sake of getting some privacy.

So an Italian, a Japanese, a German and now a Czech. All of them, brilliant in their own ways and a petrol heads dream. You are one lucky man.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 22:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car Akshay.

Have TD'd the vRS here.Its one heck of a machine.
Sometimes i regret why didnt I get a vRS instead of a second Civic.

You must be finding many on the road who want to play around with your car.

Please Do Post Better Pictures of the Car soon.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 23:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Man, you gotta be kidding me!

Punto, Accord V6, Beemer 320d and now a vRS! You are enjoying every droplet of fuel you are putting in your cars! Cangrats and looking forward to a bit more detailed review once you get to know the car a bit more!

Drive safe will ya!
Thanks buddy, yes now no matter which car I take out it ends up being fun. This was just like a basic review with a few points, I will write a more detailed one with the pictures, but a large part of it is covered in the official td. Everyone if there is anything specific I can elaborate on please do tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post

The DRL's look as good as on the one's on the E-Class! I would be grateful if you could tell me the discounts currently available on the Ambition and the vRS (err, RS). Thanks and congratulation's once again
The discounts are round about 70k on the petrols, little more maybe and 35-40k on the diesels if I remember correctly. I am sure you can push for a slight bit more with some bargaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What did this car cost on the road?
The car was 18.7 or so because of the company registration.

What the??? You advised me to go bonkers when I got my new car and now you are saying to take it easy for the run in.
I advised you not to baby it at 2k rpm, but that you could take it till 4k rpm without worries. Unfortunately I've taken mine to 6.5k+ already.

Woah ho ho....how on earth did Skoda miss adding these on a car like this? I know it is a drivers car and drivers are not meant to fiddle with these things when your driving. All said and done, they still add a world of convenience.
These little things would have been great, Skoda offers those only on the top of the line Laura which is about 2 lacs more.

Nice. Is the tint level of this V Kool model road legal? I can't tell from that number V37 and V70. What did it cost? Considering tints just for the sake of getting some privacy.
The tint is not RTO approved, it is 37% visibility, but generally here many cars run similar shades, and cops don't bother since its not totally dark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Sometimes i regret why didnt I get a vRS instead of a second Civic.

You must be finding many on the road who want to play around with your car.
Thanks bud. I don't get why in the world you would buy another Civic LOL.

You would be surprised, everyone wants a piece of the RS.
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:01   #9
BHPian

Congrats akshay ! Was just about to point out in your 3'er thread that why hasnt this baby got its deserved attention.

So is it really a replacement to the innova ? sniff sniff , i do smell something "selfish" here

PS : Love the last pic offering a glimpse of the three beasts !

Drive safe, although it sounds so contradictory after possessing such humble beasts.
seedyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

congrats buddy..with a garage like that you really must be having a hard time choosing which car to take out...

have fun and drive safe

Rev
revtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:15   #11
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Akshay. White RS looks majestic. Some more day light pics please. I too like the 2nd and 3rd gear ratios and the old RS has a markable exhaust note change after 4k rpm.

Last edited by v&v : 2nd March 2012 at 07:17.
Old 2nd March 2012, 07:39   #12
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Akshay! If I am living in India, this car would have been in the top of my shopping list.

Do well in your exams, and a more detailed and complete report of the RS is expected right after that!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Akshay on owing another piece of machinery that will be fun to drive, quite a fleet you have accumulated, but i didnt understand one thing is your Innova was a MUV but you got 2 sedans to replace that, you didnt consider another MUV like Aria or upcoming Ertiga or maybe the new Xylo.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:33   #14
Team-BHP Support

Hey Akshay,

I'd love to see this thread being moved to the Long-Term Ownership Reports soon. It would be great if you could give us the low-down and regular updates. It would be very useful, considering that this is the first vRS (?) on the forum.

It's a phenomenal car this, and would have been even better if Skoda didn't short-change the Indian market, and sold the 'actual' vRS instead. Nevertheless, the 1.8 TSI flies and since the suspension and tyres haven't been changed, it's probably more usable on a daily basis.

Congratulations bud. Wishing you many miles of happiness and a hassle-free ownership experience.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:18   #15
BHPian

That vRS looks fantastic in white. It must be one heck of a machine. I still have day dreams about my friend's old Octavia vRS that I had driven long back.
You must have to put in quite a lot of thought before deciding which car to take out in the night.
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks