Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 10:45   #301
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

A sneak peek at the effect after smoke tints were applied onto the headlamps and taillamps. Red Rocket is now converted into Red Viper. It looks absolutely Evil, like a predator! Detailed DIY process is being penned down in Assembly line, and will go live soon as a separate thread.

Taillamp tints
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130417_001.jpg <br />
A closer look<br /> <a href=The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130417_003.jpg <br /> <br />
Headlamp smoke tints make the car look absolutely Evil!<br /> <a href=The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130417_004.jpg <br />
A closer look at the tinted headlamps. Since the tints are affecting visibility, they will be thrown out on Saturday after a photoshoot.<br /> <a href=The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-wp_20130417_005.jpg <br />
The headlamp tints are too dark, look tacky/hideously cheap at closer look (something I didn't get to know until the product was opened at home), and are cutting down at least 30% of the headlight beam. Needless to say, I will be stripping them off this weekend, but not before a photoshoot of the 'Evil reptile' look <img src=. Very disappointing result after the effort put in, but I value safety and practicality more. Upgrading to brighter bulbs to counter the loss in light is downright stupid, and I will refrain from doing that. What I will do for the headlamps is order something like this when I have the moolah :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-Grande-...b8116e&vxp=mtr
Until then, the headlamps will remain stock. No more cheap experiments for me anymore!

Applying the smoke tints was a nice experimentation job though, and I learnt quite a few things out of the experiment, main lesson being -Do not order cheap stuff, they are not worth the trouble, and they make the car look cheap and gross!

The taillamp tints are okay, do not hamper the taillamp visibility in any manner (tested even in bright sunlight), and will stay on for a few weeks before I strip those off too.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th April 2013 at 11:09.
KarthikK is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 11:40   #302
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 3,874 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The headlamp tints are too dark, look tacky/hideously cheap at closer look (something I didn't get to know until the product was opened at home), and are cutting down at least 30% of the headlight beam. Needless to say, I will be stripping them off this weekend, but not before a photoshoot of the 'Evil reptile' look . Very disappointing result after the effort put in, but I value safety and practicality more.
Good decision.. What!!! was my reaction when I first saw the pics
All the mods now are pretty elegant and you have managed to keep it civil and elegant. But the headlights are a bit too loud; here we call it the Ah Beng look
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:02   #303
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good decision.. What!!! was my reaction when I first saw the pics
All the mods now are pretty elegant and you have managed to keep it civil and elegant. But the headlights are a bit too loud; here we call it the Ah Beng look
It was done more on an experimental basis anyway, hehe. I expected the headlight tint to give a light greyish tinge and make it look better, but they were too dark, and made the front look like a blind toad / blink snake . 'Hideous' is an understatement. I am keeping them on till Saturday. I'll do a small photoshoot of the reptile look for funny memories , and then strip them off ASAP.
KarthikK is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:04   #304
BHPian
 
scofield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 147
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

Looks super hot bud, you have done the visuals very neatly. Love it.

Now just drive it - as much as you can get to 15K and get an abarth tune up/RD box either and your steed is complete then.

Just drive it!!
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 12:14   #305
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,669 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Well since the tints affect the light output so much, maybe you should remove them from the tail lights too. I mean the last thing you want is someone rear ending you because they didn't notice your lights quick enough.

Also another suggestion is to paint the rear parking sensors, they stick out like a sore thumb now.

Also maybe debadge the rear?

Looks great otherwise.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th April 2013 at 12:26.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 13:13   #306
BHPian
 
Eminenttismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 18.00°N,79.58°E
Posts: 330
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Oops! That was a tragic ending. Frankly, I was thinking of ordering a pair of those after seeing your work but now after seeing how it ended, ummm, i'm . Aren't any quality vinyls available? I mean a little lighter for the front HLs? Also, can the window glass films be applied on HLs?
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 17:41   #307
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 694
Thanked: 2,013 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Aren't any quality vinyls available? I mean a little lighter for the front HLs?
There's a company called Lamin-X (http://www.lamin-x.com) that specializes in automotive tint's.

They're slightly on the expensive side, but the quality is flawless.

I too recently got the fog lamps tinted
Attached Thumbnails
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-img_20130322_174437.jpg  

speed kills is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 19:16   #308
BHPian
 
Eminenttismo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: 18.00°N,79.58°E
Posts: 330
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

^^ Thanks a lot, I was looking for something like those. You got them shipped?!
Eminenttismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 08:40   #309
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Also, can the window glass films be applied on HLs?
Since sunfilms are designed for inside surfaces of windows and not outer surfaces like headlights/taillights, there is no guarantee on how long the adhesive will stay, thanks to constant exposure to sunlight, wind, dust, water, etc. Incidentally, this was one of my FAQ questions in that DIY thread I am taking live shortly
KarthikK is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 10:14   #310
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,468
Thanked: 19,377 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
A closer look at the tinted headlamps. Since the tints are affecting visibility, they will be thrown out on Saturday after a photoshoot.
Attachment 1074646

The headlamp tints are too dark, look tacky/hideously cheap at closer look (something I didn't get to know until the product was opened at home), and are cutting down at least 30% of the headlight beam. Needless to say, I will be stripping them off this weekend, but not before a photoshoot of the 'Evil reptile' look
Thank god the tints on the lights are going. The car looks way OTT (over the top) with those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Also another suggestion is to paint the rear parking sensors, they stick out like a sore thumb now.

Also maybe debadge the rear?

Looks great otherwise.
These 2 are a must. Painting the parking sensors and debadging the rear. The rear looks too busy otherwise.

I am still of the opinion that the smiling front should go. The sticker portion between the fog lamps and grill that gives the smiling look sort of detracts the evil look.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 10:24   #311
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Thank god the tints on the lights are going. The car looks way OTT (over the top) with those.
Hilarious experiments though! Had a fun time watching how it looked with these tacky films on. They are stripped now, for good.


Quote:
These 2 are a must. Painting the parking sensors and debadging the rear. The rear looks too busy otherwise.
Totally agree there. I am in the process of sourcing the Scorpion badge set with the EsseEsse emblem. As soon as the shipment arrives, I am knocking off the "sport" and 90HP decals. I'll just retain the Punto logo and swap the Fiat badge for the scorpion.

The new rear will have only the Punto decal and the EsseEsse emblem. Everything else will go.

Parking sensors should be removed and spray painted with OE paint this coming Saturday at Vecto. I am just waiting for Vecto to get their brand new body shop up and running.

Quote:
I am still of the opinion that the smiling front should go. The sticker portion between the fog lamps and grill that gives the smiling look sort of detracts the evil look.
That'll be my next experiment thanks to your suggestion a month back . I was just keeping on this smiling look for a few days, for some "paisa vasool" after getting the job done.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st April 2013 at 10:33.
KarthikK is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 15:01   #312
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

was my reaction when I saw the first pic on your tinted post.
was my reaction when I saw the third pic.

The front reminds me of one of the alien (called Salarian) which appears in the Mass Effect series. Its good to hear that you have removed those tints on the headlamps. Please post the pic after removal of those hideous tints. I'm unable to digest the pics.

One more suggestion for enhancing your beauty's front look is to remove those company/tech park stickers on the windshield, but it may be mandatory for you to enter your company premises.

Are you using any stuff to keep the tyres in the jet-black condition? My tyres have lost that black luster and have turned into some grayish color, thanks to the dusty Bangalore roads which were once very clean.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 21st April 2013 at 15:09.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 15:22   #313
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,972
Thanked: 16,753 Times
Default

Have any of that tint left? Could try putting the tint on the rear reverse lamps + fog lamps.

IMO- that's one of the worst design aspects in Punto, where one side looks broken.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 18:24   #314
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,918
Thanked: 3,495 Times
Default re: The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Debadged & Rebadged to Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
was my reaction when I saw the first pic on your tinted post.
was my reaction when I saw the third pic.

The front reminds me of one of the alien (called Salarian) which appears in the Mass Effect series.
I just did a google image search and couldn't stop laughing when I saw what you said. The Punto with black eyes looks just like that Salarian's face . ROFL!

Quote:
Its good to hear that you have removed those tints on the headlamps. Please post the pic after removal of those hideous tints. I'm unable to digest the pics.
Back to normal look now. Sample picture :
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0702.jpg <br />
Rear looks like this<br /> <a href=The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0745.jpg <br /> <div style=
Quote:
One more suggestion for enhancing your beauty's front look is to remove those company/tech park stickers on the windshield, but it may be mandatory for you to enter your company premises.
Thanks for noticing those Vinay. I had forgotten about them all along, since I hardly ever get a chance to look from the left seat of the car. They are not company stickers at all (ITPL has no such requirement fortunately). These are some PDI and QC check stickers which were probably put on by the Fiat factory and later by the dealer before delivery. I'll strip them off next time I get the car washed.

Quote:
Are you using any stuff to keep the tyres in the jet-black condition? My tyres have lost that black luster and have turned into some grayish color, thanks to the dusty Bangalore roads which were once very clean.
Yeah, I use Meguiar's 'Hot Shine' product to keep the tyres shining glossy black. Pictures below :

The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0765.jpg <br /> <a href=The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0766.jpg <br />
It is a foam spray can. All we need to do is spray it onto a cloth and apply it on the sidewalls after the car is washed. That keeps it going for the next 2 weeks (even with my 70km per day commute). I apply this once in a fortnight as advised by Sidhu at 3M. One spray can lasts me approximately for 3 months since I use it for the Linea's Michelins also.  <br /> <br />
The only other products I use are :<br /> <br />
Meguiar's Natural shine protectant for plastic parts which can look faded (similar to tyre fade effect) - like mudflaps, mirror assembly mountings, plastic panels near the windshield, etc<br /> <a href=The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0768.jpg <br /> <br />
TechWax 2.0, this helps give a superb amount of gloss on the body paint and stays that way even after rains. Interestingly, I have observed that with TechWax 2.0 applied, there are very few water marks found on the car after the rainwater dries up. So this means fewer washes <img src=
The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0775.jpg <br /> <a href=The Red Rocket - Fiat Grande Punto Sport. *UPDATE* Interiors now in Karlsson Leather-dsc_0777.jpg <br /> <br /> <div style=
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Have any of that tint left? Could try putting the tint on the rear reverse lamps + fog lamps.

IMO- that's one of the worst design aspects in Punto, where one side looks broken.
Good idea, but I seem to have discarded the remaining taillamp tints. Moreover whatever is done should be done on the other side too (rear fog lamp), which may not be advisable from a visibility point of view. I looked at the actual Abarth layout for the tail - it had the reverse lamp in the centre of the bumper, not to one side like Indian Puntos.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st April 2013 at 18:35.
KarthikK is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 18:38   #315
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,972
Thanked: 16,753 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Good idea, but I seem to have discarded the remaining taillamp tints. Moreover whatever is done should be done on the other side too (rear fog lamp), which may not be advisable from a visibility point of view. I looked at the actual Abarth layout for the tail - it had the reverse lamp in the centre of the bumper, not to one side like Indian Puntos.
Visibility? Have you used the fog lamps, rear ones much? I've only used the front fog lamps. I'm more worried about the reverse lamp.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leather Car upholstery - Karlsson (Bangalore) bottle Bangalore 115 1st August 2017 19:51
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
MY red italian beauty! Now delivered (Grande Punto MJD) amulu10 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 56 6th July 2010 18:49
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:03.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks