Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 15:36   #241
BHPian

Re: Traversing The Tibet Plateau To Mount Kailash

Hi deky / m3_07, I am writing this from Nyalam town in Tibet. We are on our way back after the successful trip to Mount Kailash. By God's grace, I have been able to complete my 3 days of Parikrama sucessfully. I will post the pictures and travelogue once I am back.

By the way, the road conditions have improved drastically from 2 years ago. Except for the stretch between Nyalam and Saga, we now have beautiful 2 laned roads all the way to Darchen. But the staying and toilet options are still not developed.
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:34   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Hi deky / m3_07, I am writing this from Nyalam town in Tibet. We are on our way back after the successful trip to Mount Kailash. By God's grace, I have been able to complete my 3 days of Parikrama sucessfully. I will post the pictures and travelogue once I am back.

By the way, the road conditions have improved drastically from 2 years ago. Except for the stretch between Nyalam and Saga, we now have beautiful 2 laned roads all the way to Darchen. But the staying and toilet options are still not developed.
Wow!!! Good job Gopi!!! I am so glad that you were able to complete the yatra and the parikrama successfully. Really happy for you.

Really amazed to know that they have made roads so fast. Is it 2 lanned black tarmac or gravelled? And the Nyalam to Saga stretch is the worst stretch indeed, so it may take some time

Waiting for the trip log now!!

Regards
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:52   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Friend....I have been eagerly looking for people who complete the 3 day ritual & from what I hear, very few have done it. I am super exited that you have made it well !!

All the best & GOD bless...do post pics of the Mighty Kailash. Also do post some tips on the parikrama trek, in terms of the terrain/ distance to be covered per day/ Yak & pony utilities.
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:37   #244
BHPian

Hi Deky! I cannot believe that i have come across this thread now for the first time.

I read every post by you and went through every photograph as slowly as i could so i could relish them completely.

Your thread transported me not only to Tibet but also back in time to 1995 when i was just 21 and had done the Trip in about 28-29 days through the trekking route organised by the GMVN and MEA.

Some of the pictures moved me to tears especially of the ones where you see Mt Kailash up close between the other two mountains (Day One of Kailash Parikrama at the Guest house before you start for Dolma Pass and Gauri Kund the next day) and the first glimpse of Lake Manasarovar.

We were a total group of 19 people with me at 21 being the youngest and a 65 year old South Indian lady (who we all called Amma) being the oldest.
our journey began at Janpath Hotel New Delhi with the first night halt being Kasauni and then Dharchula at the Indo Nepal border.

From there we were taken to Tawaghat (in india) and it was from there we walked through the beautiful Himalyan Ranges along the Kali River that separates India and Nepal over a week-10 days into Tibet via the Lipulekh Pass.

We were driven to Tawaghat and from there to Manasarovar where we did the Parikrama on foot again.

The memories of the scenery and the people came flooding back to me today thanks to your extremely lucid, informative and engrossing post.

I remember it had started drizzling quite hard on the way to the first stop of the Kailash Parikrama (where your mother had the nasty accident) and i was feeling really tired and demoralized also.
We had been walking for weeks now and was on the end of my tether... when suddenly the clouds around Mount Kailash started to lift and it suddenly came into view in its full glory a few hundred meters on my right.
I can never expalin the elation and the energy i felt at that exact moment.

All the Pain and Dampness seemed to melt away and i was awash with happiness, elation and at the same time a beautiful calmness.

After the month long journey ended i was changed mentally and physically too (lost almost 8-10 kgs during the trip) and it was also for me "a trip of a lifetime". But after seeing your post today i am very tempted to do a repeat somewhere in the near future.

Thank you for this wonderful post my friend and for sharing all your thoughts and pictures with us all. I shall show all the pictures to my Grandmother who shall bless you too in turn.

I was glad to note that your dear Mother made a complete recovery.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 13:28   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Hi Deky! I cannot believe that i have come across this thread now for the first time.
Your thread transported me not only to Tibet but also back in time to 1995 when i was just 21 and had done the Trip in about 28-29 days through the trekking route organised by the GMVN and MEA.
The memories of the scenery and the people came flooding back to me today thanks to your extremely lucid, informative and engrossing post.
I was glad to note that your dear Mother made a complete recovery.
Thanks for appreciating the effort. Its nice to know that you also have been to Kailash and wish to do it again. Infact I am so passionate about this trip that I will be doing this trip again this year via the MEA.

I will be sharing the details when I come back so you can pour in your comments and tell us how different things were 16 years back.

Regards
Old 27th July 2011, 17:39   #246
BHPian

Hello Gopi...awiting your pics, if you have time to upload them.

Deky - Question. Is there a rule in Nepal that Indian citizens aren't supposed to carry currency denomination greater than 100 Rs??? My credit cards say - not valid for payment in Nepal & bhutan. Is it all a cash affair??
Old 28th July 2011, 09:21   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post

Deky - Question. Is there a rule in Nepal that Indian citizens aren't supposed to carry currency denomination greater than 100 Rs??? My credit cards say - not valid for payment in Nepal & bhutan. Is it all a cash affair??
Hi,

In Nepal they generally do not accept Rs500/- notes as there is a chance of the note being a counterfiet one. So yes they are happy accepting only Rs100/- notes.

I did use by debit card at an ATM to withdraw money (nepalese) not sure about credit cards.

Regards
Old 4th August 2011, 09:13   #248
BHPian

Quote:
m3_07, extremely sorry. Literally swamped at office and I am just about managing to lift my head up after the 15 day leave I took for the Kailash yatra. I have given the link below for the photos.

Will try to post the travelogue soon.

https://picasaweb.google.com/viravid...une2011Robcam#

https://picasaweb.google.com/viravid...rYatraJune2011

https://picasaweb.google.com/Kumar.D...LOEsMqynrCdLQ#

https://picasaweb.google.com/gopikb/...CNDxuvnr1ZrbPA
Old 25th August 2011, 18:09   #249
BHPian

Gopi....the Mount Kailash from AshtaPad is amazing & you are extremely lucky to have been witness to such a sight. Also the one at Derapuk is quite good.

I was there between 7th AUg till 21st Aug...we were not all that lucky, as it was pretty clouded all the time. Nevertheless, the experience was quite divine. Will post my experiences later.

Thank you for the links !!
Old 26th August 2011, 14:07   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gopi....the Mount Kailash from AshtaPad is amazing & you are extremely lucky to have been witness to such a sight. Also the one at Derapuk is quite good.

I was there between 7th AUg till 21st Aug...we were not all that lucky, as it was pretty clouded all the time. Nevertheless, the experience was quite divine. Will post my experiences later.

Thank you for the links !!
I can imagine, as we left for Taklakot from the banks of Mansarovar on 6th August and the weather was pretty bad.

Waiting for you to share your experiences!!
Old 13th September 2011, 18:59   #251
BHPian

Dear Dheeraj ,

Dont have much words to appreciate the work you have put in .. excellent.
Special mention to your photographs they are amazing .

5* +++++

Regards,

Gaurav AKA "Kool_kid"

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 13th September 2011 at 19:00.
Kool_Kid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 13:14   #252
BHPian

Hi Deky,

firstly hats off boss to you & your mum for pulling this off. and thank you for sharing such details for all of us who have been dying to goto Kailash.

Brilliant photos, details and tips shared from you and i cant believe my luck that i found this travelogue so late. thanks again buddy look forward to more from your writing desk.

Cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 04:00   #253

Dear deky
I happened to get a link to this beautiful travelogue from the indiamike site. It was very detailed and mesmerizing and I read through the complete travelogue in one sitting. Awesome and soul inspiring.
The sad part was I was selected last year to do the yatra via the MEA route between 29th July and 22 August 2011, but I had to drop it as I had a serious back and hamstring injury. It has taken me a long time to get well and I am still recuperating. I hope to do this trip someday in the next couple of years.
Thanks for all the detailed write up. Kudos to your Mom on keeping a smile even in the midst of adversity.
bubbu64
Old 10th April 2012, 12:30   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbu64 View Post
Dear deky

The sad part was I was selected last year to do the yatra via the MEA route between 29th July and 22 August 2011, but I had to drop it as I had a serious back and hamstring injury. It has taken me a long time to get well and I am still recuperating. .
bubbu64
Guess what!! I did KMY via MEA a group before you were selected in!! Yeah maybe next time.

UPDATE:-

More and more travel agents are dumping the Jeeps (Land cruisers) on Tibet side and using buses to transport yatris to Mansarovar. This is because most of the journey has good roads now.

Also road construction is going on full swing for Kailash Parikrama. I would say in a maximum of 5 years most of the parikrama will also be done on vehicles.

Regards
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 14:23   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post

UPDATE:-

More and more travel agents are dumping the Jeeps (Land cruisers) on Tibet side and using buses to transport yatris to Mansarovar. This is because most of the journey has good roads now.

Also road construction is going on full swing for Kailash Parikrama. I would say in a maximum of 5 years most of the parikrama will also be done on vehicles.

Regards
And 5 years thereon, there'll probably be about 25 malls next to Mount Kailash.

If you gotta go, its in the next 2 years, when the going is still tough.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks