Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 16:50   #166
Senior - BHPian

Deky, this has been one of the most divine and beautiful travelouge to read and go through, the amount of small detailed given by you would surely be helpful for travellers going in future.Thankyou for sharing your journey with us and wishing a speedy recovery for your mom.
Old 4th August 2009, 18:13   #167
BHPian

@Deky, what an engrossing account it was. I used to read it and share a summary with my wife everyday. And on one of these days, when I didn't update her, she reminded me to check it out. Like others we felt sad that you and your mom coudn't complete the parikrama. I still am awed by how she was able to hold on bravely till you completed the return journey - my pranams to your mom - a brave lady.

Your travelogue has definitely inspired me - I am sure I will make this trip in near future.
Old 4th August 2009, 18:36   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Question: Can a group from India drive up in their own vehicles?
Sneak out during the raid
That said, its indeed possible to take your vehicle to another country. The process is called carnet, but given the relations and situations on the border expect lots of obstacles
Old 4th August 2009, 19:52   #169
Senior - BHPian

suman / adc / phamilyman / vensum / sudev / vijaythacker / cnaganathan:-

Thank you much for keenly following the trip log and for all the wonderfull comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

as an aside, PLEASE watermark all your pics. They are liable to be filched off by content thieves.
Thanks for the suggestion. I Dont think its possible now, I guess I should have watermarked them earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vensum View Post
Hey,

a great thread which i could remember for many days.

I have always been thinking of making this trip. But a tragedy at the family (my father in law died just after completeing the parikrama, he finished it and came back, sat in the jeep and instantly died, a great soul i guess) has put me in a tricky situation. Wife and other relatives just not allowing me to take it.

However I have decided that i will do this trip during next may/june. What I am planning is a bit different. Instead of taking the trip from Kathmandu to Kathmandu, i am planning to go to Lhasa, travel through the other side of the mountain to Kailash Parvat and return to Kathmandu. I was told that it is simply fantastic.

I would be too happy to take the lead and organise everything if around 40 of us are interested. The cost could go up a bit as couple of more flights would be involved. But after all we are all going to do this only once (unlike the uncle who has done it seven times, really great and hats off to him).

Kindly send across your initial responses (willingness) to me by mail at vensum@yahoo.com

I shall try and post a bit more details sometime later say in November / December. I have already started the groundwork on this.
Wish you luck for your preperations. I am sure you will have a great time. A few guys in our group also included Lhasa in the itenary. From saga instead of going south to Kathmandu they went east to Lhasa and from Lhasa they took a flight to KTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Question: Can a group from India drive up in their own vehicles?
From India you can drive into Nepal for sure and without much of a hassle. After speaking to the owners of some Indian vehicles I saw in KTM I learnt that the charges are 400/- Rs per day per vehicle plus whatever road taxes and bribes to be paid to the Nepal police.

I also asked our Tibetan guide if one can get their own vehicle into China, he was quite confident in saying that he has never ever seen a foreign regsitered vehicle leave aside an Indian vehicle in Tibet.

But I guess what TSK1979 says is right, that it may be possible, but given the poilitical environment the process may be really really hard.
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2009, 20:28   #170
Senior - BHPian

Some More Do's And Dont's

I have missed out a few do's and dont's that I think are essential for the trip. The list is as follows

DO'S
1. Take a few gifts like Bindi's, pens and small chocolate for the kids in the villages
2. Most of the guestrooms have solar lighting which has timings. They would have bulbs but no plugpoints to charge your things. Take a holder cum plug to charge your camera and cellphones.
3. All villages big or small have mobile networks. Now it depends on you if you want to take your cell with international roaming or have a peacefull holiday without the cell
4. Change your rupees to yuan only at kodari border. You will get the best rate there.
5. Please be wary of the dogs specially in Darchen & Prayang. The dogs are Tibetan Mastiffs and are wild and are known to be ferocious. Venture out of the village only in groups.
6. Do learn a few Chinese/ Tibetan words, or carry a book. It will help you a lot in communication. The guide wont be there all the time to translate.
7. Carry a whistle with you all the time. Its easier to blow a whistle to attract attention than to shout at high altitudes.
8. Start applying the sun screen lotion from day 1 onwards. Or you may look like this on the 12th day:-
Traversing The Tibet Plateau To Mount Kailash-dsc01562.jpg
I did not apply sun screen till day 4th day and as a result my nose and forehead was badly burnt.
9. Keep your head/ears/nose covered. No point in falling sick due to cold.
10. Do make sure that your tour manager holds a meeting every evening so that you are aware of whats going to happen the next day. Also give your inputs regarding the next days menu.
11. Do carry a plastic bag with you for the garbage. Though you will see lots of garbage laying around but why not do your bit for the nature by collecting atleast your own garbage.
12. Do carry extra plastic bags, will help you to segregate used clothes from unused clothes.
13. Do be cordial and polite with your fellow yatris to maintain group harmony. Respect their cultural and religious sentiments.

DONT'S
1. Do not argue with the sherpas, if you think that something is wrong, report it to the tour manager and let him handle them.
2. Do not drink water from streams coming down the mountains (or carry water purifying tablets), stick to mineral water that is provided.
3. Do not shout/gossip/argue or get over excited, its very easy to feel breathless doing such things. Leave it till your return journey.
4. Do not carry any breakable things in your duffle bags. I must admit that the bags are handled pretty rudely by the sherpas.
5. Dont be lazy, walk around, enjoy the beautifull sights. That will help in acclimatization too.
6. Do not take pictures of army and their camps. You may be deported.
7. Do not carry on the journey if Acute Mountain Sickenss persists for a few days. There are known to be lots of fatalities due to this.
deky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2009, 23:12   #171
BHPian

Deky Bhai, hats off to you for such a fantabulous travelogue - and the daring travel of course!! The pics you have posted are just fabulous...

Also, just like Sudev said, some of the stretches of road seen in your pics just make one feel like driving on them.. I won't be surprised if an enthu Yatri strikes a deal with the Toyota drivers one of these days..

All in all, kudos to you and your mom - wishing the best of health and many more such adventures to both of you..
Old 5th August 2009, 12:04   #172
Senior - BHPian

Threats, what threats? I'm a peace loving humble family man. Couldn't kill a fly even. How can I threaten anybody..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
@gd1418
Thanks a lot for the threats made
Old 5th August 2009, 12:06   #173
BHPian

Hats off to you Deky for the superb travelogue!

Sea adventures, mountain adventures so what next? ;-)
Old 5th August 2009, 12:46   #174
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous to say the least. Deky good narration coupled with even better pictures. What was the equipment that you used?
My best wishes to your Mom for a speedy recovery and tell her that she is a very feisty woman and hats off to her for undertaking such a wonderful journey. Hope she is much better now with less pains.
And last but no the least, just one word. Excellent effort man.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:25   #175
Senior - BHPian

I waited till today to read the entire travelogue in one go, I had read the first few posts and decided that this is going to be one travelogue worth taking the day off, and I did!!

Awesome writeup, experience and resilience Deky.
Hope your mom is fine by now, hats off to the brave lady.

Very informative and quite exhaustive with respect to the information about the yatra. Kudos on a journey of a lifetime.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:09   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Up in the air and down under the sea?

@Deky: At cost of repetition - SUPERB
Old 6th August 2009, 11:27   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post

A wildlife encounter I hope
Old 6th August 2009, 19:05   #178
BHPian

Wow man, that is one awesome trip. Your in-depth narration and pictures are simply amazing. How I wish the place was in India so I can pick up my ride and head for it.

Aum Namoh Shivay
Old 7th August 2009, 09:30   #179
BHPian

Deky, went through the entire log completely from begin to end now. Had never managed to catch up before and I see that it was a good move. Amazing snaps with a detailed account of every day proceedings. Both, your mom & you (not just your mom) deserve an appreciation for successful completion of this trip. Hope I too will be able to do it sometime in the future & all your inputs would come in handy.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:34   #180
BHPian

Well, everyone has said it and I will say it again. Excellent report and info provided. This is like a bible on the Kailash trip. Congratulations for taking on such a trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks