Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2010, 10:50   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower View Post
I have the Moto Milestone and I am very pleased with the phone.

What really stands out in this phone which separates it from another android phones is the phenomenal build quality. Its rock solid and I don't think Samsung or HTC can match up to it ( had a bad experience with couple of samsungs before)

Add physical keyboard,dedicated GPU and Free navigation in India and its truly a good phone. And it has 2.1 already.
I would like to disagree on the 'not so good build quality' part of Samsung phones. I've had 3 Samsungs recently, Pixon, Wave and Galaxy S. Pixon was one tough phone, only thing lacking was the software part with lack of updates and applications. Wave is my current phone, applications don't match Android, but its got super build, terrific features and is absolute VFM. Galaxy S is used by my dad and everyone knows it packs everything. Though its built using plastics, its done to reduce the weight and does not affect build quality. The plastic back cover is super flexible and so wouldn't crack, and the screen is tempered glass which also doesn't scratch normally. Milestone and Xperia X10 were under consideration for purchase, but the qwerty keypad will never be used in Motorola which also adds a lot to the weight and Xperia X10 doesn't match up in software, screen as well as call quality, which is feeble compared to the rest.

What needs to be seen though with Samsung is the kind of user up-datable software support, which at this moment is still suspect, but they have promised good things. What made me take the risk was the terrific pricing of Wave and Galaxy S at 17500 and 28000, which is not matched by the competitors currently.
Old 15th July 2010, 10:56   #92
BHPian

Can someone please clarify whether the Android 2.1 have google maps with Navigation enabled on Indian roads? Earlier the navigation option was not available in India i hope.
Old 15th July 2010, 12:05   #93
BHPian

For people who think the Samsung phones are fragile , check this video of the Galaxy S stress test :

For a comparision, the Iphone4 stopped working after the 2nd drop from 3 feet and then got shattered completely on the 3rd drop.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

Galaxy-S Crossed 1 Million sales milestone in about 20 days , Target is of 10 million phones this year with 110 operators.

Wave crossed 1 million sales in 1 month kind of unexpected for bada .

I think the success lies in S5C110 processor which beats every other thing in market in terms of GPU processing and host of other peripheral controllers + Amoled coupled with the hardware specification.

A bit of undocumented feature for those who have Purchased Galaxy-S. It has a TV Out and you can project your screen on LCD TV using a cable. Check out the TV Out cable availability at the retail store from where you bought the phone.

Last edited by amitk26 : 16th July 2010 at 10:43.
Old 16th July 2010, 11:06   #95
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful. Now nothing can stop me from spending 28K on the Galaxy S. But I also love a physical keyboard. I need to rid my 5800. I hate it.
Old 17th July 2010, 10:56   #96
BHPian

Can anyone who have tried Aidiki ebook reader put a small review? I believe it comes free with Galaxy S.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:08   #97
Senior - BHPian

Though the thread has been dead for a few days let me restart it again.

About the Nokia N900, having just bought it, i personally dont think it is for the normal phone buyer. It has many features which are completely pointless for a regular user.

What people must remeber is that it is primarily an internet tablet, with phone functionality added. The N900 is the 1st of the Nxxx series to get the phone functionality built in. Which means some odd quirks are present in this phone.

The primary among which is that it is primarily works in the landscape mode. Even the hardware buttons positions accordingly. For example, the power button is positioned on the right hand side in potrait orientation, and the screen lock button at the bottom.

Also it has a resistive touchscreen, for allowing the use of a stylus. This is slightly less comfortable than capacitative screens. This is done because when browsing the net with the special modified firefox browser, a stylus is needed to make the precise clicks on the small buttons on a webpage.

Another thing to remeber, this is one BIG phone( internet tablet rather ). At 181 grams it outweighs the hefty Nokia N97 by a good 20%. Some people find the E-series phones at around 130gms heavy. The Samsung phones weigh around the 120gm mark.

The primary purpose of the N900 would be web browsing on the move. It also integrates VOIP calling seamlessly via Gtalk and Skype. It is designed to stay continously connected to a network for reaaly long periods of time. For example can comfortable stay online on Gtalk for the whole day usiing the normal Airtel network. I have also used wireless networks on it extensively.

So overall, its a good even great machine, but if your primary purpose is telephony, then it is just too much.
Old 24th July 2010, 10:56   #98
BHPian

Finally went and picked up the Google Nexus one....Its just brilliant! Hooked on to it from couple of days! Also OTA updated to Froyo 2.2 FRF 91. The phone is lightening fast, just a feather touch enough to breeze through the menus and it has an arena of customizations!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-nexusone.jpg

Last edited by redrage : 24th July 2010 at 10:59.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:02   #99
BHPian

Rumored Samsung Galaxy Q packs Froyo, 8MP cam, QWERTY
Old 29th July 2010, 18:33   #100
BHPian

For those going for Android OS (pre froyo aka 2.2) phones, make sure your phone meets the minimum hardware requirements to be able to upgrade to FROYO.

Here are the minimum Hardware requirements: 1Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, 3.5″ displays and higher.

Source: Telecominformatics.com

Another IMP quote from the above link

Quote:
Google Nexus One will get the next mobile OS first with the most popular Android running phones following shortly after. However, from some developers who tested the open-based OS, it appears Google wants a rather strict requirements to make the device is immersed in Android 3.0.
Any advice anyone or i think i am breaking my head too much over silly things
Old 30th July 2010, 17:58   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
For those going for Android OS (pre froyo aka 2.2) phones, make sure your phone meets the minimum hardware requirements to be able to upgrade to FROYO.

Here are the minimum Hardware requirements: 1Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, 3.5″ displays and higher.

Source: Telecominformatics.com

Another IMP quote from the above link

Any advice anyone or i think i am breaking my head too much over silly things
The above requirements hold good for android 3.0 not 2.2, Infact there are many people running un-official froyo on the basic android phones like samsung spica and HTC hero
Old 31st July 2010, 19:49   #102
Team-BHP Support

Samsung Galaxy S - Froyo (Android 2.2) update should be here by end September :

Confirmed: Galaxy S to get Froyo in September | AndroidGuys
Old 31st July 2010, 20:23   #103
Senior - BHPian

A little update: Got myself a Samsung Galaxy S today. Playing with it now for last 4 hours. Till now it feels AWESOME.
Old 31st July 2010, 20:41   #104
Senior - BHPian

@kaushik, how is the build quality? One of my friends wants to buy a good Android phone, he is looking forward to Dell Streak but the launch date is indefinite. I suggested Galaxy S to him, but he showed me some online reviews saying that the build quality is not good, in terms of plastic quality surface gathering scratches soon very. Is that so?

Note: This person was using an iPhone 3GS before, and he sold it off because he finds it too restricting not to be able to store stuff on memory cards, dependence on one computer for iTunes, etc. At the same time he wants a powerful capacitive touchscreen phone with good browsing, contacts management, tasks management etc. Do you think Galaxy S is best for him, or some other phone?
Old 31st July 2010, 20:43   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Though the thread has been dead for a few days let me restart it again.

About the Nokia N900, having just bought it, i personally dont think it is for the normal phone buyer. It has many features which are completely pointless for a regular use
Hey congo on the buy. Apparently, i just gifted my bro a n900 from USA. He facing some problems with internet setup. Have you tried setting up one with your service provider?

He is not able to start gprs/edge on AIRTEL service carrier. And people at airtel and nokia are of no help. Any pointers?

Do you use GPS? Is it possible to download India's map or something?

And this one uses maemo OS right? Is it similar to Android?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks