Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:58   #1051
BHPian

Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meconi View Post
Would anyone know which Snake species ( or not ) is this ? Keep seeing them regularly in the place where I go for my morning run and appear harmless .
Are they venomous ? Most of the time they are crossing the road like in the picture or coiled like a spring on the side of the road.
Attachment 2510794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like a sand boa, but I have never seen them in black. What is the length of this snake?
Assuming it is a couple of inches long, looks like a bhraminy snake which is non venomous. Easiest way to recognize them is the size and the difficulty in making out the head & tail :-) since both ends appear almost identical
I used to see them in our locality during the lockdown, but have disappeared post that.
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 12:37   #1052
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by meconi View Post
Not more than 20 to 25 cm in length .
Oh, then it is not sand boa at all. Must be brahminy snake then. I have seen them in brown while climbing trees. They are more like worms than snake.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 08:49   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

Not entirely sure, but looks like one of the Shieldtails?
Old 3rd October 2023, 11:20   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Not entirely sure, but looks like one of the Shieldtails?
This is the Brahminy snake . based on some of the earlier comments I looked it up and this was the exact snake I saw- a pic attached of the results
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-large.jpeg  

meconi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 17:34   #1055
BHPian

I spotted a one-foot-long, dark black, shiny as if it has been polished just now type of snake slowly moving from our compound gate towards a tree ahead. This, in the night while I returned home from office. I was getting all our two wheelers parked outside, in our compound is when I noticed this creature. And I am deeply afraid of it since then.

The memories of the recent video clip of a huge python hanging on the window grille of a multistorey apartment somewhere in Mumbai is lingering still.

Now since there is this one-foot young child, its parents must be somewhere nearby. There is one spot from where these guys can enter the car. That is from the uncovered spot underneath the boot. What's the probability that they will enter the car? It will be as such very hot in there.
Old 14th October 2023, 13:49   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
The memories of the recent video clip of a huge python hanging on the window grille of a multistorey apartment somewhere in Mumbai is lingering still.
I haven't seen the video, but after googling and reading the news about it and the comments, it appears to have been a Burmese Python, which is not common. So it would seem that someone in the building was illegally breeding those and one must have escaped. So this is a very, very one-off case and nothing for most of us to worry about...unless you have neighbors who are breeding wildlife in their apartments!

Quote:
Now since there is this one-foot young child, its parents must be somewhere nearby.
Almost all snake species abandon their eggs after laying them, not much chance of protective parent snakes hanging around.

Quote:
What's the probability that they will enter the car? It will be as such very hot in there.
Very, very minute. Unless you live next to a forest or park or something and snakes have been spotted often in your building. There's really no incentive for a snake to get into a car, unless it's really, really cold outside and they are looking for some warmth, or after a rat. Again, in a town/city/residential setting, very small chances. Nothing to worry about.

About 20 years ago, when ours was one of the few houses in the locality, I woke up one night to the sounds of both my dogs barking furiously. Went out to keep them quiet, when I noticed they were both looking up, above my shoulder. Looked right and saw a cobra, hood spread, framed against the moonlight on the wall, perhaps 4 feet away from me. I turned and ran, one of the dogs (the smart one!) ran inside with me, the other went after the snake. Later, I went out and pulled the other dog inside. The snake must have escaped, thankfully, and my dog didn't get bitten in the process. Called the forest department number and a local snake catcher whose number I got from a neighbor. Both told me not to worry and go back to sleep. I haven't seen a snake anywhere near my house again in 20 years.

Last edited by am1m : 14th October 2023 at 13:54.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 22:19   #1057
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone identify this snake? Is it a cobra? Poisonous?
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-db59b77e19e540d1a56ab0308581f990.png  

saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 23:02   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Can anyone identify this snake? Is it a cobra? Poisonous?
Yes it is a spectacled cobra and highly venomous; babies are more so, given that they inject everything they got, when biting.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 23:40   #1059
One
BHPian

Just met this baby version in our office premises while going to our parking. It first tried to run (crawl??) away and when found itself in a corner, turned around to face us in full display.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-img20231016wa0013.jpg  

One is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 13:21   #1060
BHPian

Found this tiny fellow at my farmhouse. It was finding it very difficult to move on the patio tiles and neither could it climb the granite steps leading into the house.

I Let it be for a while watching it from a distance. Eventually after a lot of struggle it slithered down the patio and into the bushes.

Can anyone identify the snake? As per my caretaker it's harmless but said some local name which I don't understand.

Snakes!-img_8758.jpg

Snakes!-img_8759.jpg

Snakes!-img_2726.jpg
Old 5th April 2024, 13:29   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a Montane trinket snake?

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...ig10_305267783
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks