Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2023, 15:15   #976
Team-BHP Support

Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
EDIT, thumbing through snake book: Wolf snake?
One way to ID a snake is to download an app called GOOGLE LENS from the App Store. Take photo of the real snake using Google lens or take a "photo of photo" like I did.

Snakes!-screenshot_20230522_151430_google.jpg

Google Lens says it is a Wolf Snake (as you guessed)

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd May 2023 at 18:29.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 17:01   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
my son found a slithering baby cobra.
What a little beauty! May it live long in that forest.

Quote:
One way to ID a snake is to download an app called GOOGLE LENS from the App Store. Take the photo of the real snake using Google lens or take a "photo of photo" like I did. ... ... ...
Super! Many thanks for the information/idea.

The time we had a baby snake here, it was barely larger than a pencil. Maybe a little bit longer. Of course, there was some demand that it should be killed immediately! And no, we did not allow that.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 09:10   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Close shave for the kids. We made the mistake of keeping some toys in the garage. In that pile, my son found a slithering baby cobra. Immediately called the BBMP snake rescue number and they sent a catcher within an hour:
Be careful, if there is one baby there could be few more of his siblings around.
Gaur is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 09:58   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
Be careful, if there is one baby there could be few more of his siblings around.
That was going to be my next question. How do we find out if there are more around?
Old 24th May 2023, 10:23   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
That was going to be my next question. How do we find out if there are more around?
Need to look around in the area where this one was found and then search in the neighborhood also.

Search in crevices/cracks in walls, floors, damp, cooler areas as snakes would particularly be looking for such areas to hide particularly in summer.

Also keep a stick in close proximity in the garage, tap it at a few places before going in, noise from it could make the snake move out and become visible easily.
Gaur is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 10:27   #981
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
We stay in "Nagara bhavi" area in Bangalore. It literally means "well of snakes". So for us, snake encounters are fairly common. I was once 3 feet away from a hidden/camouflaged Russell Viper
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4500739 (Snakes!)

Snakes!-img_20181124_184630.jpg

We also have a "snake-proof" front gate. This setup works well - we have not seen an adult snake inside our compound for 3 years now.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post4872970 (Snakes!)

Snakes!-img_20200826_115257.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Snake catcher guy said baby snakes come via drains or rain water pipes. Next to the garage, we have an area where utensils/clothes are cleaned/washed. The metal cover of the drain is sometimes removed by the maid so that water goes into the drain quickly.

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th May 2023 at 10:50.
SmartCat is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 10:43   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We also have a "snake-proof" front gate
Can you post picture from the other side of the gate? How is that pane fixed on the metal gate, glued or screwed? Thanks!
Old 24th May 2023, 11:08   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Spotted a 'creepy' visitor at our plantation!

Attachment 2204144
Glad to have found this thread. That is an ornate flying snake.

The telltale signs of a common krait are:

1. Bands that appear in pairs and often don't start at the head with the exception of juvenile kraits where the band starts near the neck.

Name:  blog krait.png
Views: 608
Size:  299.4 KB

2. The head is almost the same size and in line with the body. More rounded as compared to the triangular shape of wolf snake.

Often confused for the wolf snake, it's best not to approach any snake if you are not sure about the ID.
anoopGTkrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 11:19   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
My daughter spotted this snake.
Not able to identify it , more need to know if it is venomous or not ?

Attachment 2078572

Is it a Diadophis ?
Most likely the black headed snake. Non venomous. But please don't approach one even if you see if next time as these are often confused with the slender coral snake. Most easily distinguishable by the black band around the tail region.

Snakes!-calliophismelanurus03000035127_01.jpg
anoopGTkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 11:21   #985
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Can you post picture from the other side of the gate? How is that pane fixed on the metal gate, glued or screwed? Thanks!
Extra metal bars have been welded on to the sides and the bottom, so that there is minimum gap. The plastic/FRP type material has been screwed to the metal bar/gate.

Full view from both sides:

Snakes!-20230524_110201.jpg

Snakes!-20230524_110103.jpg

Welded horizontal and vertical metal bars to fill gaps (zoomed in pic, actual gaps are not big enough for snakes to get in):

Snakes!-20230524_110656.jpg

Note that the plastic panel nearly touches the ground:

Snakes!-20230524_110233.jpg

Problem/Issues -> The gate does not open inwards now, because of the low gap and slight elevation. It only opens outwards:

Snakes!-20230524_110336.jpg

Snakes!-20230524_110354.jpg

This is an irritating issue, because most people open the gate inwards and our gate makes a loud "kerrunch" sound (plastic panel rubbing concrete)

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th May 2023 at 11:30.
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 13:30   #986
BHPian

How did I ever miss this thread, such a treasure of information and incidents. Have been a snake admirer all my life
Would just like to share about self and my run ins with our slithery friends
Grew up in Jamshedpur at the edge of the city. Encountered

Cobra full size, baby cobra - took home with the intention of keeping as per, tons of baby pyrhons however never saw a grown up one, few sightings of normal krait and the odd non venomous rat snake

Ancestral village in WB - saw a huge like 5ft plus sand colored cobra

College - near Nagpur (city of snakes) just a few spectacled cobras in the hostel

Bangalore since last 18 years - here it gets boring only once saw that too a video of baby cobras playing in my friends house - he had left ASAP after this discovery
hungrygamer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 19:15   #987
BHPian

I lived for 16 years in a small town in Bihar - now Jharkhand - in the Chotta Nagpur area. We were surrounded on three sides by forest and there was a small range of hills. These were possibly 1000 ft or more high. Surprisingly, this place had a huge population of snakes. All the 3 poisonous varieties in India - Vipers, Kraits and Cobras happily coexisted. In addition there were Pythons and Rat Snakes and all other manner of pesky slimy vermin. I had occasion to learn how to recognize them and came into close contact on several occasions. On one occasion the snake was coiled around the toilet seat when I looked down before I sat on it. Wow that was really frightening. It was a banded krait.

I called my servant and as it slithered behind the Toilet Cistern we could remove it from the bathroom. There were other close encounters but this was the most dangerous. I learnt that they do not attack unless they are threatened. Since they cannot see very well and have good ability to sense vibrations through their skin any noise made by clapping is sufficient to get the snake to go away.

Suffice to say I lost my fear of snakes.

The name of the place is Gomia and it was the home of Indian Explosives Ltd industrial explosives plant.
ashokabs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 07:22   #988
BHPian

One way of preventing snakes from entering the house is to use Phenol/ Carbolic Acid Crystals. I learnt this from an Assamese uncle. Phenol in crystal form is available at most shops dealing with institutional laboratory materials or industrial chemicals. It available online as well. Just keep a few crystals in an open bottle near the entry points.

Snakes!-phenol1.jpg

Snakes!-phenol-2.jpg

PC: Google image search
bravo82in is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:40   #989
Team-BHP Support

Plugging all minor holes/gaps - attempt at "baby snake" proofing (assuming little guy used the front gate to get inside and not the drains)

Snakes!-20230525_113345.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th May 2023 at 11:55.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:58   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Plugging all minor holes/gaps - attempt at "baby snake" proofing (assuming the little guy used the front gate instead of drains)

Attachment 2454887
Maybe (if/whenever possible) cleanly drill a small circular hole in the footpath away from your gate such that the Rainwater would flow into it. If any rodent uses that hole, they'll be vulnerable to scavengers.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks