Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2023, 17:49   #946
BHPian
 
anivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 43
Thanked: 187 Times
Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
What was funny was that all the snakes had little chicks (as feed?) but even for small juvenile snakes the chicks were roaming around inside and were making quite the racket.
Most definitely, those chicks were feed. Had the opportunity to see snakes and chicks sharing space in the Vizag Zoo and the way the snakes were popping the chicks was primal. Wish they make the enclosures bigger to let the snakes do some work catching the chicks.
anivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:21   #947
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Erode
Posts: 34
Thanked: 155 Times
Re: Snakes!

It wasnít a surprise anymore seeing threads on topics not even remotely close to automobiles in this forum. Thatís how vast this forum is.

Was googling for any devices or solutions to prevent snakes from entering an area and landed here.

The search started as I lost a brave soul (My 11 month old German shepherd - Whisky) to cobra bite a week back. I had 7 dogs (4 different Indian breeds 2 daschunds and a German shepherd) the Indian breeds and daschunds will corner the snakes and not allow them to escape by maintaining a safe distance. They never attack the snakes and wait for us humans to come and take necessary actions. Once they cornered a Russel viper for nearly 45 mins and made continuous noise and alerted us. This is the first encounter for whisky with a snake and the brave soul decided to take the matter into her own hand.

Time for an unpopular opinion.(or is it?)

If snakes are rescued they should be released into a proper reserve forest where chances for human snake conflict is very minimal or held captive in some zoos or snake parks. Certainly not released near small lakes surrounded by housing areas calling the lake as natural habitat for snakes. Even more so if the snakes are poisonous. This is what is happening in the area Iím residing at and thereís a huge rise in snake population which in turn increases human snake conflict. In the past one month more than 15 snakes have been " DEALT WITH " in my street alone and itís not even monsoon.

Being a doctor Iíve seen lots of lives lost to snake bites from 5 year old child to mother of a 3 months old infant. On average more than 70,000 hospital reported cases die per year in India and if unreported cases in rural areas are taken into account the death will easily cross 1.2 lakh per year according to the health inspector visiting the hospital to collect data on all cases.

So my opinion is rescuing is not the important aspect but releasing it in proper reserved forest (that too disturbs the ecological balance if done overtly) or in snake parks or zoos should be the most important. If that is not possible the snakes should be properly "DEALT WITH". Since we escaped from a horrifying encounter with the snake doesnít mean it can be rescued and released which puts other peoples life at risk who may not be equally lucky.

If there is any way to prevent snakes from entering an area using any device or spray or solution or by any other means kindly let me know.

TIA
Dr Alpha is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:08   #948
BHPian
 
whitewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 501
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Re: Snakes!

Losing a dear pet in an untimely manner is hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Alpha View Post
... thereís a huge rise in snake population which in turn increases human snake conflict. In the past one month more than 15 snakes have been " DEALT WITH " in my street alone and itís not even monsoon.
..
If there is a sudden spurt in the snake population that only means that there is some disruption, either because
- there is an increase in rat population which in turn could be due to access to some place near by place where food is being dumped at a regular basis. Or frog population due to a nearby swampy area with interconnected drains.
OR
- there is some development activity in your neighborhood like conversion of fields into housing sites etc. which could be causing displacement in your area.

Unless the root cause is eliminated, one would not be able to prevent the odd visits.

My elders used to tell that marigold/lemongrass/(another medicinal plant that had a very bitter taste with waxy leaves, I can't recollect the name) repel snakes. Although I must say that in spite of these being planted in my uncle's farm, they still used to get an occasional visit. The claim was that planting these plants had reduced the frequency of intrusions.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:18   #949
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,188
Thanked: 6,272 Times
Re: Snakes!

The society premises where I stay has had some mongoose families resident for a long time. We used to have civets but somehow dont seem them anymore. We have had snakes occasionally, but perhaps the presence of mongooses may keep a check.
fhdowntheline is offline  
Old 15th March 2023, 16:49   #950
Senior - BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 1,164
Thanked: 3,230 Times
Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Alpha View Post

The search started as I lost a brave soul (My 11 month old German shepherd - Whisky) to cobra bite a week back.
Sorry for your loss. Speaking from experience (of watching snakes in the city tv show) the snake catcher couple really get worried when dogs are around as they can poke their nose in and might result in fatality which no one wants.

When it's human life in danger now or in future, venomous snakes are mostly killed especially in areas where healthcare is not very accessible.

We have mice, cats, rat snakes and mongooses (mongeese?) roaming around our garden at home. Saw a rat snake slither close by me and climb up a jackfruit tree the other day and man oh man did I almost have a heart attack!

A few weeks before that, our security alerted us to a snake behind a cement tank. It was just chilling in the cool shade between the tank and the wall. Shined a torch and saw it was a rat snake, so just let it be
deathwalkr is offline  
Old 15th March 2023, 17:41   #951
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10,790
Thanked: 24,895 Times
Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Alpha View Post
If there is any way to prevent snakes from entering an area using any device or spray or solution or by any other means kindly let me know.
I know very little about snakes, but I have heard that they cannot make it more than two feet up a vertical, featureless wall. We think that snakes coming to our sub-urban garden have been helped by people piling wood, etc, against the compound wall. So one needs to be sure that people do not do this.

The only time we've had a snake captured by a catcher, he put it in a cotton bag, and when we asked what he would do with it, he said he would take it to his village and release it in forest. To release a dangerous snake in urban parkland seems to me to be unforgivably irresponsible.

Can the knowledgable please confirm how high a wall has to be, and how far from branches, etc, from which a snake could reach.
Thad E Ginathom is online now  
Old 15th March 2023, 19:59   #952
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Erode
Posts: 34
Thanked: 155 Times
Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post


My elders used to tell that marigold/lemongrass/(another medicinal plant that had a very bitter taste with waxy leaves, I can't recollect the name) repel snakes. Although I must say that in spite of these being planted in my uncle's farm, they still used to get an occasional visit. The claim was that planting these plants had reduced the frequency of intrusions.
Will definitely try the lemon grass and marigold. Regarding the medicinal plant with bitter taste, Iíve planted it and unfortunately found a snake on the plant itself once

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
The society premises where I stay has had some mongoose families resident for a long time. We used to have civets but somehow dont seem them anymore. We have had snakes occasionally, but perhaps the presence of mongooses may keep a check.
mongoose will be of great help to keep the snake away and to even reduce their population but the problem is to get one to come and make my place itís home with lots of dogs around

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sorry for your loss. the snake catcher couple really get worried when dogs are around as they can poke their nose in and might result in fatality which no one wants.


We have mice, cats, rat snakes and mongooses (mongeese?) roaming around our garden at home. Saw a rat snake slither close by me and climb up a jackfruit tree the other day and man oh man did I almost have a heart attack!

A few weeks before that, our security alerted us to a snake behind a cement tank. It was just chilling in the cool shade between the tank and the wall. Shined a torch and saw it was a rat snake, so just let it be
I think Indian breeds are genetically wired to maintain a safe distance from snakes where as the foreign breeds are the ones getting curious and trying to catch the snake. There used to be a Doberman and a couple of Indian pariah at my uncles house adjoining to our home. Even same thing happened there indian pariahs maintained their distance but the Doberman lost its life

Itís very easy to identify a rat snake from a cobra. Cobras when disturbed will stand their ground and display aggressive instincts and make hissing noise whereas the rat snake will be as fast as lightning and disappear within second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know very little about snakes, but I have heard that they cannot make it more than two feet up a vertical, featureless wall. We think that snakes coming to our sub-urban garden have been helped by people piling wood, etc, against the compound wall. So one needs to be sure that people do not do this.

The only time we've had a snake captured by a catcher, he put it in a cotton bag, and when we asked what he would do with it, he said he would take it to his village and release it in forest. To release a dangerous snake in urban parkland seems to me to be unforgivably irresponsible.

Can the knowledgable please confirm how high a wall has to be, and how far from branches, etc, from which a snake could reach.
Not all snakes can stand. Cobras and kraits (elapidaes) can stand up to 3/4 of their height with the remaining 1/3 on the ground. Iíve personally witnessed it while a person poked and held a snake with a spear standing on a compound wall the cobra stood around 3-4 feet and tried to bite that person.
Dr Alpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 20:21   #953
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 165
Thanked: 137 Times
Re: Snakes!

I am miles away from being an expert but had an experience in our apartment in Murgeshpalya/Bangalore many years back when a cobra was spotted and took refuge in a scooter wheel pit. A young boy who was the snake catcher took around half hour to remove the wheel and extricate the snake and put it to a cotton bag. He did not mention where he would release it but just said that he would take care. He did mention that it is not an oddity at all to have snakes including venomous ones around most residential areas and it is just that we dont see them. The number of snakes was a function of the open garbage and I dont know the situation now but it seems that every apartment does spot snakes once in a while which means they very much coexist with us. In passing the boy mentioned that he gets more scared of humans than snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
To release a dangerous snake in urban parkland seems to me to be unforgivably irresponsible.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Alpha View Post

Time for an unpopular opinion.(or is it?)

If snakes are rescued they should be released into a proper reserve forest where chances for human snake conflict is very minimal or held captive in some zoos or snake parks.

So my opinion is rescuing is not the important aspect but releasing it in proper reserved forest (that too disturbs the ecological balance if done overtly) or in snake parks or zoos should be the most important. If that is not possible the snakes should be properly "DEALT WITH". Since we escaped from a horrifying encounter with the snake doesnít mean it can be rescued and released which puts other peoples life at risk who may not be equally lucky.



TIA
I had a conversation once with one of India's best known herpetologist (not naming him since I don't have his permission to do so) and we were talking about releasing snakes in forests. According to him releasing a snake in the wild like forest will surely get it into a territorial fight with other snakes and get killed. As per him, just release it nearby. Note that I am just relaying this conversation without editorial comment. The subject is a complex one and there is no easy solution. In my parents house in Bhubaneshwar, there were a couple of cobras and also 4 mongoose. We have not seen snakes since some time so looks like the mongoose claimed the territory. My point was that all coexisted for quite some time and my parents and the staff were never perturbed by the snakes. I have seen them a couple of times but they normally slithered away at full speed as soon as they sensed us from far off.

ON another note, do note that "dealing with snakes" can lead to imprisonment and fine since snakes are protected under wildlife laws. This of-course depends on how you deal with them.

Ending this reply with some Bhubaneshwar news from today on this subject
https://www.news18.com/buzz/bhubanes...t-7300009.html
deepak_misra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 06:46   #954
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,188
Thanked: 6,272 Times
Re: Snakes!

Interesting how we talk about dealing with snakes as a matter of a deliberate act. As it is the poor fellows get killed by our vehicles, our incessant land grab turning pristine forests into concrete heat islands. Let us leave some species alone for goodness sake. They haven't come to our environment, its the other way around. Nature has a way of restoring balance. We need to be humble and conscious of this fact at all times.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 16th March 2023 at 06:47.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 22:06   #955
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 10,790
Thanked: 24,895 Times
Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
We need to be humble and conscious of this fact at all times.
Indeed. A handyman who works for us has only one word when it comes to snakes: Kill. I forbid it.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 14:24   #956
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 51
Thanked: 421 Times
Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can the knowledgable please confirm how high a wall has to be, and how far from branches, etc, from which a snake could reach.
There is a program on Kaumudi TV (Malayalam regional channel) where a famous snake catcher Vava Suresh goes to houses where snake sightings are reported and catch them. The program is also available in YouTube (I guess the program is called Snakemaster). He goes around the house and explains how the snakes come to the house and what can be done to prevent it. Only problem is the whole thing is in Malayalam. If you have someone around who is comfortable with Malayalam, you can get it translated
d.w.w. is offline  
Old 19th March 2023, 09:52   #957
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Erode
Posts: 34
Thanked: 155 Times
Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post
1) had an experience in our apartment in Murgeshpalya/Bangalore many years back when a cobra was spotted and took refuge in a scooter wheel pit. A young boy who was the snake catcher took around half hour to remove the wheel and extricate the snake and put it to a cotton bag. He did not mention where he would release it but just said that he would take care.

2)In passing the boy mentioned that he gets more scared of humans than snakes

3)According to him releasing a snake in the wild like forest will surely get it into a territorial fight with other snakes and get killed. As per him, just release it nearby.
1) By gods grace no one was harmed. But take a minute and think what would have happened if no one saw the snake in the wheel and the owner started the vehicle and something untoward happened??
Releasing the snake in nearby areas was what he mentioned as "he would take care"

2) Well even the worst of humans are referred to as snakes and thatís not without a reason

3) So according to him territorial fight among snakes should be handled carefully and releasing it nearby and endangering other peoples life is the better way to handle the problem?? I get it that some people want to protect the snakes but releasing them in nearby areas is not the way to do that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Interesting how we talk about dealing with snakes as a matter of a deliberate act. As it is the poor fellows get killed by our vehicles, our incessant land grab turning pristine forests into concrete heat islands. Let us leave some species alone for goodness sake. They haven't come to our environment, its the other way around. Nature has a way of restoring balance. We need to be humble and conscious of this fact at all times.
To be clear Iím no where near a forest. The environment which you suggest that Iíve intruded into is where my family is living for more than 6 generation. By stating nature has a way to restore balance are you trying to suggest that imbalance of human and snake population justifies the snakebite deaths?? If thatís what you are suggesting sorry my friend i donít want to be humble and conscious enough of that fact

Iím pretty sure most of the people advocating that a snakes life takes precedence over a human life has easy access to ASV(anti snake venom) and hospitals with ICU and dialysis setup ( by the way both are very important for treating snake bites, even after recovery there are high chances for significant kidney damage ) within a couple of minutes and more importantly can afford the bill which run into few lakhs even in a moderately good hospital.
Most of these people doesnít take steps out of their house constantly fearing for snakes on a daily basis fearing for their lives and their dear ones.
Dr Alpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 16:49   #958
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 165
Thanked: 137 Times
Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Alpha View Post
1) By gods grace no one was harmed. But take a minute and think what would have happened if no one saw the snake in the wheel and the owner started the vehicle and something untoward happened??


3) So according to him territorial fight among snakes should be handled carefully and releasing it nearby and endangering other peoples life is the better way to handle the problem?? I get it that some people want to protect the snakes but releasing them in nearby areas is not the way to do that.


.
For the record

1) The snake went into the wheel panicking on seeing the people. Else it would have slithered away to its abode wherever it was

3) He did not in any way suggest endangering any people. He just said that if you are in snake territory you need to take basic precautions and the risk minimizes. I am talking about urban settings and not say in agricultural areas where the risk is much more.

The problem is not an easy one to solve, but killing snakes is not the solution
deepak_misra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 18:46   #959
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CNN/BLR
Posts: 4,218
Thanked: 9,855 Times
Re: Snakes!

Spotted this dead one in our backyard. Killed by a terror cat in our neighborhood. Actually he was resting on the dead snake after killing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-img_20230323_183829.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 23:07   #960
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 674
Thanked: 347 Times
Re: Snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Spotted this dead one in our backyard. Killed by a terror cat in our neighborhood. Actually he was resting on the dead snake after killing it.
Isnt this the bronzeback tree snake; can never understand cat's fetish with snakes (now I know, why we say "curiosity killed the cat")
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks