Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2008, 18:52   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
The question I have and need inputs on are:
  • which tyre size would be the most appropriate for the Gypsy? I don't mind modifying a bit to get the most appropriate tyre size in there (from an off-road perspective)
  • What's the difference between the tyres(apart from size) that are of 235/70/15 format and 31x10.5 format?
  • If I have to choose between 235/xx and 30x9.5 size, which should I prefer?
  • any other tyre I should consider for A/T besides the Yoko?
Cheers,
1. KS - I personally think 235's or 30x9.5 would be too wide on the Gypsy. Also since you don't have PS, steering the car would become a muscle building exercise! Why don't you have a look at 215/75 R15?

2. The 30x9.5 size translates to 240/80 R15 size in normal sizes. So wider tread & higher sidewall profile.

3. Yeah, also have a look at BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO & Michelin A/T XTT.

The factory fit size on the Gypsy is F78-15 which converts to 205/75 R15. However, no company makes that size, so the next best option is to fit 215/75 R15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When I was hunting for AT tyre for GV last year, one tyre came consistently as the overall best. The Pirelli Scorpion ATR, check that out.
He can check them out but where will he find them??
Old 6th September 2008, 21:35   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. KS - I personally think 235's or 30x9.5 would be too wide on the Gypsy. Also since you don't have PS, steering the car would become a muscle building exercise! Why don't you have a look at 215/75 R15?
Steering is not an issue. Am used to it.

BTW, atleast 3 gypsy fellows here have 255 Wranglers -- for quite some time now. So theoretically 235's or 30x9.5 should not be an issue.

Any other issue you for see apart from steering?

To be honest, I am inclined towards getting the 265's. Lots of Samurai's in US run 31 inch tyres so I see no reason why we can't run them. Would require some mods but I am not averse to those.

Quote:
2. The 30x9.5 size translates to 240/80 R15 size in normal sizes. So wider tread & higher sidewall profile.
From a learning perspective, can you elaborate on why some sizes are mentioned in 235 etc format and some on 30x.. format? what's the difference? Why can't the 30x.. for example be just mentioned as say 240/xxx

Quote:
3. Yeah, also have a look at BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO & Michelin A/T XTT.
Not too inclined towards BF and have heard that Michelin is quite expensive than Yoko/BF

Quote:
When I was hunting for AT tyre for GV last year, one tyre came consistently as the overall best. The Pirelli Scorpion ATR, check that out.
Quote:
He can check them out but where will he find them??
Same question. Where can I find these in Bangalore for checking out?

Cheers,
Old 6th September 2008, 23:22   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steering is not an issue. Am used to it.

BTW, atleast 3 gypsy fellows here have 255 Wranglers -- for quite some time now. So theoretically 235's or 30x9.5 should not be an issue.

Any other issue you for see apart from steering?
Yes, wheels. For 235 section width you would need a set of alloy wheels between 6.5"-8" wide with 7" being ideal. For 265's you would need between 7.5"-9" with 8.5" being ideal.

Also, don't you think that increasing drag on what is basically a car powered by a 80-bhp engine is not a very good idea? This is with regards to the 265's. Do they really offer that much improvement in off-road performance? Which I'm guessing is your primary criteria here.

Quote:
From a learning perspective, can you elaborate on why some sizes are mentioned in 235 etc. format and some on 30x.. format? what's the difference? Why can't the 30x.. for example be just mentioned as say 240/xxx
Well they are basically called High Flotation tyres. They are mostly made with off-road use in mind & they are described separately as instead of the normal explanation which in say 235/75 R15 is 235mm being the tyre width, 75 being the profile/sidewall height in % of width (so in this case being 176.25mm) & 15 being the wheel size, they are 30x9.5 R15 which is 30" overall dia of the tyre, 9.5" being section width & 15 being the wheel size. So normally tyres are sized in mm whereas these sizes are in inches.

Construction methods, tread design, compound etc. remain the same as other tyres of the same range.

Quote:
Not too inclined towards BF and have heard that Michelin is quite expensive than Yoko/BF
Difference should be around 10%.
Old 7th September 2008, 07:42   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Ishan. That's very informative and helpful.

I looked up on net for more info on 'High Flotation Tyres' and got some basic info but could not find info on HOW they are helpful in sand, loose mud watery conditions? (I am assuming that tread pattern/etc are same as Passenger Tyres) Any idea mate?

I have the stock Gypsy rims. What's their size and what's the max tyre size they can accommodate? No moolah for buying alloys right now :-(

one advantage you get by upsizing, in off-road scenarios, is the actual ground clearance; and that make a huge difference in many situations. a 1/2" advantage of clearance could be the difference between getting stuck and making it through.

I agree to your point of upsizing adding to the drag and loss of 'effective power'. I have plans to later address that part through different means.
Old 7th September 2008, 17:18   #95
Senior - BHPian

On their own they're not too helpful compared to a normal tyre of the same design but like you said, they will help your ground clearance. If you want tyres that perform best off-road then look for M/T tyres. These are a bit of a compromise to enable them to be used both on & off road.

No idea about the Gypsy rim size Shahnawaz, you'll have to check the stamping on the back side of the spare wheel & tell me what it says there. I'm guessing at most it'll be a 5.5 or 6J wheel. And 235/265 without alloys/bigger wheels is a strict no-no.
Old 7th September 2008, 19:09   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
...If you want tyres that perform best off-road then look for M/T tyres. These are a bit of a compromise to enable them to be used both on & off road.
... you bring the thread back to where it started. I know man M/T tyres are great..

Quote:
No idea about the Gypsy rim size Shahnawaz, you'll have to check the stamping on the back side of the spare wheel & tell me what it says there. I'm guessing at most it'll be a 5.5 or 6J wheel. And 235/265 without alloys/bigger wheels is a strict no-no.
The rim says: 5.5J 15 So this means that anything apart from 215 would not fit.

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2008, 19:22   #97
Senior - BHPian

Yup anything wider than 215 is going to be an issue.
iraghava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2008, 20:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Where do you people source these NDMS tyres. I have been searching them for past one month. CEAT stopped making it, MRF dealers said they are having hard time sourcing it.
Old 6th November 2008, 20:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

MM550 Army tyre specs.

Happened to take off the spare from my Jeep for sizes of bracket to fit on the other Jeep, the weight is a whopping about 32 kgs, so be careful reg the tailgate, I tore one from the top middle before learning how not to rip the other. For scale you can see the tyre in and leaning on my Matiz.

Rim size: 5. 50 F X 16 LP

Wheel size outer to outer: 32" inflated (28psi)

Wheel weight inflated: 31.5 kgs

Tyre type: MRF SANDGRIP 7.50-16

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-matiz-.jpg

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-matiz-out.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2008, 20:44   #100
Senior - BHPian

All Terrain Tyres for Gypsy

Hi BHPtians,

Am looking for changing tyres on my gypsy for off roading and on-roading. Choices suggested by friends are Michelin, bf goodrich, wrangler, yokohoma AT/Rs. Tyre size is 235 75 R 15 to fit on alloy wheels.

I chanced upon TOYO brand of AT/R tyres and find the pattern is interesting. Experts please give your opinion and info on availability in India and cost.

I have given the link for tyre specification here for you to evaluate.

*all season tires Toyo*Open*Country*A/T

Dwarak
Old 6th November 2008, 21:30   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Although the army rims look really cool, one draw back is that they are very heavy.
Old 6th November 2008, 22:10   #102
BHPian

Man! the pic is very funny.
Remind me of LAUREL n HARDY!! lol.
live2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2008, 00:03   #103
BHPian

Nice rubber !!
You are not going to fit them to your Matiz anytime and convert it into a monster truck, would you ?
Old 7th November 2008, 09:53   #104
BHPian

I am thinking about the commanding driving position these tyres provide.

Cheers!!!
Old 7th November 2008, 10:17   #105
Senior - BHPian

For pure offroading, the BFG A/T tread pattern is best. The Toyo looks good, but I am not too impressed by their A/T tread pattern. Their MT tread pattern looks good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks