Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 14:31   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

I wonder if BD will defend such queries now.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:34   #1262
BANNED

@ Arka , I try to answer ( IMHO ,AFAIK )

1) regarding mahindra using tyres on their machines ; I don't know the exact logic but it doesn't look that they are looking at it by our ( offroading ) angle , there is something else involved like tyre prices availability, assembly line suitability etc

2) My Jeep came with those silly F 78 x 15 tyres which didn't suit it at all ( GC & axle ratio ) the vehicle used to belly several times , also in ghats it used to run freely in 1 st gear & wouldn't continue in 2nd . Now all this changed when I started using 700 x 15 tyres ( 29 " ) . This combination became successful

3 ) Long wheel base Land Rovers always use 700 x16 or 7.50 x 16 tyres ( except the most early ones ) & also mostly the later size
My 2a is a 1961 to 1971 model uses 7.50 x 16 tyres ( 8-10 ply ) as OE
One more thing in Land Rovers ,unlike Jeep ( 540 ) they don't dig in despite its heavy torque , I have gone through some deep mud where Jeep surely looses traction & spins wheel , Land Rovers DO provide smooth power delivery

4 ) IMHO tyre dia is THE first thing that needs to be thought first , irrespective of things like GC etc ,It must suit standard gearing ( unless you change it ) , secondly need to see if it touches other things ( body ,chassis etc ) And thirdly its the traction capability

Lastly ' good ' driver can adjust with all other things like road behaviour ( wet & dry surfaces , cornering at speeds ) , tubeless or with tube , & few other things --IF the offroad requirement is met .

Sudarshan
Old 9th June 2011, 17:02   #1263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
@ Arka , I try to answer ( IMHO ,AFAIK )

1) regarding mahindra using tyres on their machines ; I don't know the exact logic but it doesn't look that they are looking at it by our ( offroading ) angle , there is something else involved like tyre prices availability, assembly line suitability etc

2) My Jeep came with those silly F 78 x 15 tyres which didn't suit it at all ( GC & axle ratio ) the vehicle used to belly several times , also in ghats it used to run freely in 1 st gear & wouldn't continue in 2nd . Now all this changed when I started using 700 x 15 tyres ( 29 " ) . This combination became successful

3 ) Long wheel base Land Rovers always use 700 x16 or 7.50 x 16 tyres ( except the most early ones ) & also mostly the later size
My 2a is a 1961 to 1971 model uses 7.50 x 16 tyres ( 8-10 ply ) as OE
One more thing in Land Rovers ,unlike Jeep ( 540 ) they don't dig in despite its heavy torque , I have gone through some deep mud where Jeep surely looses traction & spins wheel , Land Rovers DO provide smooth power delivery

4 ) IMHO tyre dia is THE first thing that needs to be thought first , irrespective of things like GC etc ,It must suit standard gearing ( unless you change it ) , secondly need to see if it touches other things ( body ,chassis etc ) And thirdly its the traction capability

Lastly ' good ' driver can adjust with all other things like road behaviour ( wet & dry surfaces , cornering at speeds ) , tubeless or with tube , & few other things --IF the offroad requirement is met .
Hi Sudarshan JEE,

Interesting point is when do wheels spin?

If the surface is too soft or there is too much torque at the wheels.

The Torque aspect is controlled/regulated by the gearing,

Between you Landy and MM540 5dr, both are Long Wheel Base, Similar weight.

What will happen to the MM540 with 7.50X16 and the Landy with 7.00X15?

Regards,

Arka
Old 9th June 2011, 18:57   #1264
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

Interesting point is when do wheels spin?

If the surface is too soft or there is too much torque at the wheels.

The Torque aspect is controlled/regulated by the gearing,
Really Interesting > we tried the Jeep & Landy at & around Rajmachi in 2003 . Landy had sand grips & Jeep MRF M 77 so not a big difference ( IMHO ) > result Jeep skidded & spun more . Everyone sensed it . At some points Landy rescued the Jeep

Quote:
Between you Landy and MM540 5dr, both are Long Wheel Base, Similar weight.

What will happen to the MM540 with 7.50X16 and the Landy with 7.00X15?
I think jeep will spin less but power will need to be derived carefully by choosing gears properly according to terrain. But I feel the 2112 cc Peugeot doesn't have a smooth torque delivery as landy engine & overall gearing , there is something missing which I don't know

on the other hand for Landy it may not make much difference except for top speeds on any gear

Sudarshan
Old 13th June 2011, 14:16   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,
Useful information i wanted to share with everyone!!! Import ban on tyres have been lifted for time being, may be for another 2-3 months. Those who are planning to buy tyres can wait and negotiate hard with supplier.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 09:00   #1266
Senior - BHPian

So now how much does geolanders 235 R15 cost in Bangalore? Does anybody have a lead to dealers there? Thanks..
Old 17th June 2011, 23:11   #1267
Senior - BHPian

A DIY Idea

For all you DIY'ers, for all you guyz who believe in NDMS , see this pic!!

This is a TATA ACE rear tyre, RE-Threaded/Re-Belted, with a "MT" style patch!! I am sure this was done in bangalore, only if we can get a 6" wide pattern or even 7/7.5 - this will a super deal for all NDMS guyz who can toy with worn out NDMS and get it re-threaded like this.

PS - just a FYI, a retread tyre lasts about 50% of the new cost, costs about 10% to retread, loved by goods LCV's - super deal for rough use like OTR's.

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-tyre.jpg
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 09:26   #1268
BHPian

I drive a Ford Endy 3.0 AT 4X4. My drives are usually within the city, but once a month I do go out for offroad trips, and couple of times in the year I do 1000+ km trips and once a year I do a 6000+ trip (did Mumbai - Ladakh - Mumbai this year).

The stock tyres are 245 70 R16. I have run about 30K kms and as it seems that another 5-10K kms, I would need to change them. I want to put buch looking all-terrain tyres, and was eyeing the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO Tires.

My queries are...
a) What tyres (brand & variant) is recommended,
b) What kind of tyres can I upsize to; but should I upsize; the benefits of upsizing, and
c) Would I need to change the rims if I upsize? If so, then waht is your reccommendation for that?
Old 20th June 2011, 21:30   #1269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
PS - just a FYI, a retread tyre lasts about 50% of the new cost, costs about 10% to retread, loved by goods LCV's - super deal for rough use like OTR's.

Attachment 561996
As long as the re-thread stays glued to the old carcass its fine, am not sure how much they would with offroad abuse, unlike onroad use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco View Post
I drive a Ford Endy 3.0 AT 4X4. My drives are usually within the city, but once a month I do go out for offroad trips, and couple of times in the year I do 1000+ km trips and once a year I do a 6000+ trip (did Mumbai - Ladakh - Mumbai this year).

The stock tyres are 245 70 R16. I have run about 30K kms and as it seems that another 5-10K kms, I would need to change them. I want to put buch looking all-terrain tyres, and was eyeing the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO Tires.
Stick to stock size or just one upsize ie 255. For your use you can check out Yoko Geo's if its available for that size.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:40   #1270
Senior - BHPian

^^I agree, specially in situations where you "air down". I'm sure they will not withstand that abuse. Can form a good experimental study I believe.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 20th June 2011 at 21:42.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:44   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
As long as the re-thread stays glued to the old carcass its fine, am not sure how much they would with offroad abuse, unlike onroad use
Jaggu - Vijayanand Prabu came to anaconda sep2009 with retreaded NDMS, may be he should comment on how long it lasted. PS - he got each tyre for 1500 IIRC, thats like 7500 a set - works super even if lasts 1.5 years of OTR use only
Old 20th June 2011, 21:58   #1272
Team-BHP Support

Well he has moved on, the real rethread guru is Star_Aqua
Old 21st June 2011, 06:58   #1273
Senior - BHPian

I have re thread my old Pirelli Scorpion 215/75 R15 2 years back. It has run around 5000 kms of ONROAD and OFFROAD use. Touchwood - No complaints

Currently doing duty on a friends gypsy!!
Old 21st June 2011, 08:37   #1274
Senior - BHPian

^^ We can somehow pardon the new guru Star_Aqua considering the money he will be shelling out for fueling his JONGA.

BTW, the process is "Re-treading" or "Re-threading", considering only the tread portion of the tire is being worked upon? Also what are the advantages / disadvantages of cold Vs hot re-treading?

Spike
Old 21st June 2011, 14:22   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Im not comfortable with using re treaded tyres for off roading. Exactly i am from the same school of though, what if the tread decided to come off during off road abuse. Not a very happy situation. For on road use i think its a great cost saver and would also consider if the situation so arrives..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks