Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 16:54   #1111
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

@santosh:

The dimensions are usually etched somewhere in the rim. 8.5 will be too wide for 235 section tires. For 235 do not go beyond 7 inches. The stock rims on the Safari/Scorpio that comes with 235 tires is 6.5J.

You can take the measurements from the inner lip to inner lip.
Old 4th February 2011, 17:02   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian

@SV: 8.5J for 235 size tyres would be an overkill.
Old 4th February 2011, 17:12   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Tini, Khan - thanks... It was just a example.

That person has no clue what size it is and i have to ask him to measure the inner-to-inner even before I travel 2 hours to see it.

So, 6.5 Inches to 7 inches (J) should be ideal for (current) 215 and future (235), right?
Old 4th February 2011, 17:19   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Santosh, although not a tyre / rim guru, I would like to shed some light on your queries raised above:-

If you have to check 8.5 (rim width), then you will have to measure the inner to inner dimension in the rim profile (where the tyre actually sits). This dimension will be 8.5 x 25.4 = 215.9 mm (here it is A in pic). See attached pic-
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-rim.jpg
Finding out the bead seat profile E, F, J, KK, JJ etc will warrant that you are aware of the minute differences between these profiles. This is the most complicated stuff in wheel rim design (the profiles), have a look. The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-bead-seat-profile.jpg

For an untrained eye everything will look similar. You can refer this link for more info on bead seat profiles:- Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 3 of 4

Let me know if you need any other info on the same.

Spike

Source of second pic- www.carbibles.com

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 4th February 2011 at 17:31. Reason: mentioned source
Old 4th February 2011, 18:47   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Tini, Khan - thanks... It was just a example.

That person has no clue what size it is and i have to ask him to measure the inner-to-inner even before I travel 2 hours to see it.

So, 6.5 Inches to 7 inches (J) should be ideal for (current) 215 and future (235), right?
Just get 7J rims. These are more common. Don't get pushed into 7.5/8J by the seller just because he doesn't have 7J in stock. Find a pattern you like and get the rims in the size you want.

I think 6.5J will be ok but with 7J the tires will nicely fill the wheel well without protruding outside the fender. See the pics I posted to get an idea for this.

Most importantly (if this is a Gypsy) try different rims with different negative offsets and settle for the one that has the least negative offset that doesn't foul on the wheel-well/leaf spring. You can only do this by carrying a couple of tires with you. Be prepared to spend a lot of time on this...took me 4 hours to find the rims that did the job for my Gypsy.
Old 4th February 2011, 19:25   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Card View Post
Some feedback and experience with Maxxis

When I started the Thar project, I really wanted to go big and wild, so I got a set of Maxxis Mudzilla 31*11.5*16 as they really looked mean and rough, but as most other things in live, its not always those pretty things that works the best.
One word... disappointed... The Mudzillas is very, very disappointing!
The side walls on the Mudzilla`s is extreme, so hard even when you deflate the tyres 0.7 bar - the tyres does not flex and the side walls & thread part stays very rigid. This then cause the tyres to have less grip due to a lack of flex.
Also these tyres are noise... very very noise on tar over 80km.h and very loose handling over 100km.h so that you getting scared looking at 120km.h ..... then I must mention... at this speed you can only hear one thing! The Tyres !!!
On the possitive side, if you get a set of these and drive in very rocky conditions where tyres are cut easily or looking for a tyre that will almost never puncture.

I then fitted a set of Maxxis Big Horns, 265/75R16.... Huge different, much better handling on tarr and not even close as noisy... still noisy but this is still mud terrain tyres, but in my books very acceptable.
But saying this, the Thar was not build to drive around on tarr roads. The Big Horns deflate great, at 0.7 bar comparing to the Mudzillas these get very flexible, ensure your traction increase a lot.

In a nutshell; dont just look and make your decisions based on the aggressive thread pattern of a tyre, ensure you do your homework before buying the wrong tyre for your application.
Dude what kinda sporting event is this?? How are the 265s performing on dry muddy surfaces?

p.s: Yokohama sticker on jeep shod with Maxxiss :P

Last edited by The Wolf : 4th February 2011 at 19:26.
Old 4th February 2011, 19:57   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Dude what kinda sporting event is this?? How are the 265s performing on dry muddy surfaces?

He's also got the BIG MAXXIS sticker dude!

BTW, that was some interesting information on Mudzillas vs BIGhorns..

I use Trepadors and have not come across much problem in the trails I've done. Also I dont drive a THAR
Old 5th February 2011, 00:31   #1118
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Also I dont drive a THAR
All I can say is that I feel sorry for you. Your Gypsy can do only 125 KMPH but in a Thar you could do 140 kmph...
Old 5th February 2011, 08:34   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
All I can say is that I feel sorry for you. Your Gypsy can do only 125 KMPH but in a Thar you could do 140 kmph...
LOL Tini, I too feel sorry for myself for not being able to "enjoy" the THAR.

Lets see whether "he" [THE THAR] gives me the opportunity to do TPC in AC comfort this year!
Old 5th February 2011, 18:15   #1120
Team-BHP Support

Mudzilla's are king of muds and hence the name. The terrain posted is dry, dusty where any MT tyre would work in a decent fashion. 31 inch mudzilla is an overkill for Thar is what i feel with the existing suspension set up.
Old 7th February 2011, 13:28   #1121
BHPian

Any Chance for this one in bangalore ? (16" 160PCD For Thar)

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-images.ashx-1.jpg

- Sreejesh
Old 7th February 2011, 14:18   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Jaskarit,
Let us know the price and availibility. OT does anyone know the source for 139 or 160 PCD, 15" or 16" Brazilian steel wheels?
Attachment 483340
Forum Gurus,

Any update on the source for off-road wheels with PCD 5.5" (139.7 mm), Dia 16" and 6 holes. And as mentioned by Mr. Fazal Ali, these are also called Brazilian Steel wheels.

Regards

Jaskirat Singh
Old 7th February 2011, 15:39   #1123
BHPian

@sreejeshmp try Kikiez Autostop, I think they have some great wheels .

The # 9764599606 , 0832-2731559.
How is your Thar doing ? hope itl has given you some clarity wrt the AC , the dealer in Cochin is quoting 60 k for the AC.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:10   #1124
BHPian

slalom

I am waiting for the Thar with FF AC. But already started searching items for my modifications.

- Sreejesh
Old 18th February 2011, 18:39   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

Yokohama was one of the sponsors on that event, thus we are forced to display all sponsor stickers.
The 265/75R16 tyres are great on the Thar, the Thar has got excellent low down torque in 4L and respond great to the added traction due to these tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
He's also got the BIG MAXXIS sticker dude!

BTW, that was some interesting information on Mudzillas vs BIGhorns..

I use Trepadors and have not come across much problem in the trails I've done. Also I dont drive a THAR
I will never ever use the mudzilla again, sorry but to buy a tyre that is only good in mud is like having a vehicle you can only drive bewteen 7 and 8 am in the day and not after that.
The Bighorns give a much better overall performace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Mudzilla's are king of muds and hence the name. The terrain posted is dry, dusty where any MT tyre would work in a decent fashion. 31 inch mudzilla is an overkill for Thar is what i feel with the existing suspension set up.
With a std suspension I agree you dont need to go over 31" but if you require better ground clearance and better traction I will even fit 33" on the Thar if I could.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks