Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2008, 10:29   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Motorcraft is a MASS. Contact Rahul Dutt @+91-99717-33233 If not a Maruti vehicle try Raj Kapoor Performace Sector 2 Noida

Last edited by sudev : 26th October 2008 at 10:31.
Old 20th November 2008, 12:51   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got chance to take pictures of GV underside after the trip to Leh.
The overall inspection shows that there were some marks (abrasion) on the skid plates due to underbody touching / banging on rocks but there was no de-formation.
Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-101_2443.jpg

The front right edge needs to be re-tucked. but this did not cause any problems.
Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-101_2444.jpg

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-101_2445.jpg

The CAT chamber has a little dent too. The cross member was not covered and showed some scratch marks too.
Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-101_2447.jpg

The over all impact on silencer pipe almost at the rear was maximum. This is also the lowest area and since it is on rubber holders it tends to sway. But this is not critical problem.
Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-101_2448.jpg
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2008, 15:31   #93
BHPian

Sudev..how heavy are these aluminium plates ? As per the maruti website, the ground clearance of the GV is 200mm, so by installing these skid plates, the GC gets reduced by abt approx 5 mm ?
Old 20th November 2008, 15:45   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The over all impact on silencer pipe almost at the rear was maximum. This is also the lowest area and since it is on rubber holders it tends to sway. But this is not critical problem.
Looks like your rear diff was protected by the silencer. This part is between the rear tyres, how did it get battered to much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Sudev..how heavy are these aluminium plates ? As per the maruti website, the ground clearance of the GV is 200mm, so by installing these skid plates, the GC gets reduced by abt approx 5 mm ?
Not true. The GC on the specs refer to the lowest point in the center of the vehicle. The skid plates are not installed at the lowest point, it is above the exhaust pipe.
Old 20th November 2008, 15:58   #95
BHPian

What would be the use of skid plate if it were not the lowest part of the vehicle.
In effect your silencer could get pulled if it protruded below the the skid plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like your rear diff was protected by the silencer. This part is between the rear tyres, how did it get battered to much?

Not true. The GC on the specs refer to the lowest point in the center of the vehicle. The skid plates are not installed at the lowest point, it is above the exhaust pipe.
Old 20th November 2008, 16:31   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
What would be the use of skid plate if it were not the lowest part of the vehicle.
In effect your silencer could get pulled if it protruded below the the skid plate.
Jammy, if you see the first page of this thread, you would see that my skid plates were designed to protect the exhaust pipes. However, that brought down the GC royally. It started scraping even while going over speed bumps. Now I have removed the rear plates completely, no problem of scraping ever since. Sudev obviously learnt from my mistake and put his skid plates above the exhaust pipe which is not a critical part, it can take beating and still keep going.
Old 20th November 2008, 16:31   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
The intention is not to make end to end cover but to give protection to critical parts. Engine sump/fuel tank etc which if damaged would end up stranding you.

The differential is quite high and silencer tube was damaged earlier also due to usage in last raid and storm without skid plates. Needs a little more investigation/comparison with earlier pictures how damage was caused in this trip.
Old 20th November 2008, 23:57   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay so here are before and after pictures. The first is just after the skid plates were made.

Name:  005.png
Views: 4327
Size:  537.8 KB

This is after the trip to Leh.

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-101_2448.jpg

I need to get under the ramp again and examine if that is a pin hole in the exhaust pipe just before the pipe is deformed.

Last edited by sudev : 20th November 2008 at 23:58.
Old 12th December 2009, 13:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Grand Vitara Skid plates version 3.0

Starting to get skid plates for my Vitara. I will get it done from the same place as suggested by Sudev. But before starting i would like to get feedback from current users about the points to be taken care based on their expereince.
Old 12th December 2009, 15:11   #100
Team-BHP Support

Sudev's design is lot better. Mine I have only retained the front two plates now. This week I had the opportunity to look under. This is how it looks after two seasons of bad roads. Sorry about the poor mobile camera shot.

Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates-imag0016.jpg
Old 12th December 2009, 16:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

It has taken quite many beatings, seems to have done its work well.

I would like to know which part will hit first when the break over angle is not enough and is that protected in the design?

About the thickness of the sheet, is the 3mm embossed enough or shall I go for a thicker one?
Old 13th December 2009, 22:28   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Go with chequered plates and not plain aluminium sheet. Former are much more resistant to bending. IMHO 3mm should be good.
Old 13th December 2009, 23:19   #103
Team-BHP Support

Mine is 6mm thick, with checkered plate even 3mm should do well.
Old 13th December 2009, 23:27   #104
Senior - BHPian

So checkered plate is tougher , then cost wise also it should be costlier ? .Is checkered plate the right technical term ?
Old 14th December 2009, 13:58   #105
BHPian

Skid plates need to have smooth surface to be functional ?
Atleast in desert safari vehicles its like that.
Some longitudinal corrugation is also provided to increase strength(& looks).
i was having a line of thought like that. (something which helps to skid over obstacles )

correct me if I am wrong.

A Functional Skid plate not only protects the vehicle's underbody, but also makes tow out recovery lot easier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks