Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 19:15   #106
BHPian

Re: Grand Vitara gets custom made skid plates

Interesting discussion and fabulous work by both Sudev and Samurai- Hats off to you guys.
@ MexXxentric: what if we were to invert the chequered plate Im sure you would still get the strength as well as the smooth surface on the outer side.
@ Sudev, Samurai & allExperts: Please comment on my above observation.

regards
salil
Old 30th June 2014, 13:57   #107
BHPian

Mr. Sudev - I just came across this 5 year old thread. I am also looking to get some underbody protection for my GV. I notice you have mentioned details of Motor Craft - Sahibabad and Noida. My questions are as below

- What is the total cost of protecting the underbody through custom built aluminium checkered plates (identical to the job done for your car)

- Where will you recommend I get it done from, Sahibabad or Noida

- Any other points I need to be careful about while getting this bit of customization done. Again I am looking for exact same specifications as for your car, unless you have made any more changes recently.

thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 10:47   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Go with chequered plates and not plain aluminium sheet. Former are much more resistant to bending. IMHO 3mm should be good.
Sir, I'm planning on installing skid plates on my GV too. Work will be done at a FNG most likely. Do you happen to know what type of aluminum alloy (5182 or 5754 or 6061 etc.) was used in your vehicle in these checkered sheets?

I'm in touch with an aluminum sheets supplier and have to decide what kind of strength will I need.
Old 15th August 2020, 12:12   #109
BHPian

Sudev sir - Bumping up an old thread. Any chance you have the measurements noted somewhere ?
Old 15th August 2020, 13:14   #110
Team-BHP Support

Wow, very old thread bumped up. Yeah, my skid-plates are doing fine. Couple notable things related to this skid plates from my ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The aluminum skid plate was bent out of shape in multiple places due to stone hits. Got it removed, beaten back to shape and re-installed. Fortunately, the mechanic who designed that skid plate in 2008 was available, and he was proud to do it himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There were couple parts where the tyre ruts are deep, but the metal skid plates should be able to protect the underside as long as I am very slow.

So here is the video of the trail drive, watch in HD. This is 2X speed so that you are not bored.

https://Youtu.be/ZNmVfcmxAG8
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 19:21   #111
RJM
BHPian

I have recently joined the group, I own a 2007 Grand Vitara and was wondering if someone has fitted a snorkel on Grand Vitara? appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.
Old 29th April 2021, 17:57   #112
BHPian

This is very impressive. I am toying with the idea of getting metal skid plates for my 2015 CR-V. A guy specializing in such mods gave me two options: aluminum and steel. Can anyone help me choose based on the pros and cons of both?
Old 14th August 2023, 00:28   #113
BHPian

I am planning to buy a Volvo S90. The car has a ground clearance of 152 mm which is prone to underbody scraping due to the Indian road conditions. Even if one upgrades the wheels ( ofcourse with the risk of Rim damage due to reduced sidewalls which is an additional issue) the maximum ground clearance one can attain that is approved by Volvo is 165 mm ( 245 / 35R21 ).

Volvo offers an accessory called the Engine Protection Plate ( Link given below). It is basically a underbody Protection skid. However, it does not cover the full underbody. The description on Volvo's website states that it would protect the Engine, Oil Sump and transmission.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-516209/2023

Diagrams showing exact details of installation can be seen on the following link:

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en.../S90(17-)/2023

However, there are reports and discussions on this forum as well as YouTube and other sources on the internet showing availability of aftermarket full underbody Protection skids which would, as the name suggests, cover the entire underbody although only for 4 x 4 vehicles and I could not find anything of that sort for the sedans

Therefore, I request the learned members of this forum to shed light on whether any such options are available for the Sedans such as custom made skid plates which are discussed in this thread.

Thank you.

Last edited by adasisthefuture : 14th August 2023 at 00:48. Reason: Clarification on suggestions requested.
Old 14th August 2023, 14:29   #114
BHPian

I see that the links posted in the earlier post appear to be inaccessible. I am able to access them from the mobile phone however, the links are not accessible from the Desktop. There is no option to edit the post either. Therefore, I am constrained to post the following links vide this new post:

Product Information:

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...(Mild%20hybrid)

Diagrams :

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...(Mild%20hybrid)
Old 14th August 2023, 14:45   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adasisthefuture View Post
shed light on whether any such options are available for the Sedans such as custom made skid plates which are discussed in this thread.
Fabricating a custom made metal skid plate for the entire underbelly is not as easy as it seems. While SUVs have relatively higher NVH, a sedan, that too a premium one like the Volvo S90 will have very low NVH. In such circumstances, adding a custom plate along the entire length “might” induce vibrations.

FIAT Punto has a metal engine guard plate and a slight variation in its shape due to an underbody hit makes the whole diesel car rattle on another scale.

With the option provided by Volvo, critical parts are safe and you will have peace of mind as well along with no compromise in NVH.

Purely my opinion based on using cars with metal as well as fiber engine guard plates.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 15:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Fabricating a custom made metal skid plate for the entire underbelly is not as easy as it seems. While SUVs have relatively higher NVH, a sedan, that too a premium one like the Volvo S90 will have very low NVH. In such circumstances, adding a custom plate along the entire length “might” induce vibrations.

FIAT Punto has a metal engine guard plate and a slight variation in its shape due to an underbody hit makes the whole diesel car rattle on another scale.

With the option provided by Volvo, critical parts are safe and you will have peace of mind as well along with no compromise in NVH.

Purely my opinion based on using cars with metal as well as fiber engine guard plates.
Thank you very much for your kind and prompt response. So, if I am summarizing your suggestions correctly, an Engine Protection Plate offered by Volvo along with wheel upgrades to 245/35R21 which would increase the ground clearance from 152 mm to 165 mm is the best thing that can be done with regard to this issue. Is that correct?
adasisthefuture is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 15:58   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adasisthefuture View Post
Thank you very much for your kind and prompt response. So, if I am summarizing your suggestions correctly, an Engine Protection Plate offered by Volvo along with wheel upgrades to 245/35R21 which would increase the ground clearance from 152 mm to 165 mm is the best thing that can be done with regard to this issue. Is that correct?
If I were in your place, I am being honest that this is what I’d have done.

Based on my usage of cars with engine protection (as I have already said), metal underbelly plates can cause vibrations in my experience whoch can be tolerated in SUVs with more NVH but never in a premium, silent car like the S90.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks