Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 09:23   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@Samurai: Pardon my ignorance. The crack is between water body and head bolts. How is that effecting the engine? Coolant will drip away but engine power/compression should remain intact.

35K is steep.
I think on the same lines. Moreover, recall your jeep pulling up the slope easily. But then, did we see white smoke there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
10) Check whether connecting rods are bent due to hydrostatic lock. See whether the piston levels with the crown of the cylinder block. - this is a very rough check. As the cylinder block is not being opened at this stage, no further inspection is possible. The combustion chambers in the pistons appear to be OK.
I think that is the only check that is needed, on the pistons, checking the Con rods will involve opening the lower engine.

I think your mechanic is actually putting in a lot of bullet points to inflate the bill absurdly. Most of the stuff mentioned are a corollary to have opened the head and assembling it again.

The lathe work, and all the other belts and hoses could be accomplished at even 1/3rd that price, that too at a very high estimate.

Has your mech seen your GV?
Old 13th August 2008, 09:30   #122
Team-BHP Support

Mr.Dhabhar,

My dilemma was finally solved. Yeserday evening I had asked them to weld it. Today, the guy from the Engineering/Lathe Shop used by Karnataka Agencies informed the Service Advisor that he won't recommend welding this head. The crack between the bolt hole and water jacket goes much deeper than visible from the top. He said he will weld only under owner's risk and won't take any responsibility for this work. Such kind of hands-on opinion from an expert takes out the guess work from me. I will go for a new head.

Rest of the work will be done as outlined by you. Thank you very much sir.

Yes, I have other options like wait for an used head or switch engines, etc. But I would like to stick with new and original parts since this Jeep has become very much part of my family.
Old 13th August 2008, 09:40   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I think your mechanic is actually putting in a lot of bullet points to inflate the bill absurdly. Most of the stuff mentioned are a corollary to have opened the head and assembling it again.

Has your mech seen your GV?
Anirbhan, I don't think he is trying to pull a fast one. Trust me on this one. For one thing he refused head overhaul saying he doesn't see the need. Secondly, he refused to consider engine overhaul too. Under my pressure he is going to take a look at the crankcase just to make an assessment.

Ultimately you have to trust somebody or do it yourselves. Since I can't do this myself I need to put my trust in an expert and let them do their job.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:15   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samurai - I understand. You have taken a decision which is most important. For the new head, please use new valves only. All checks and balances to be controlled. I await radiator dimensions.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th August 2008, 11:05   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Don't take offense,anuj.
But, there is a LOT more to jeeps than you know.
When I said I know more than you about JEEP ? Also, I don't need to know much about this as this would not come under my profession.

Jeep is just piece of machines (not complicated like modern cars). Atleast in my place all mechanics agrees to repair jeeps than Fiestas, Palios, Vernas etc.

I just passed my (non technical) suggestions to Samurai. How do you define previous owner who kept Jeep for 5 months and unaware of this problem and Samurai bought this Jeep just 2 - 3 months back and came to know about this serious problem.
Old 13th August 2008, 11:19   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How do you define previous owner who kept Jeep for 5 months and unaware of this problem and Samurai bought this Jeep just 2 - 3 months back and came to know about this serious problem.
Simple, he never drove it uphill in ghats, there aren't any around Bangalore. I on the other hand did that a lot, that is the only time the overheating problem shows up. Finally, I was adamant about solving the overheating while climbing problem, although many asked me to live with it.
Old 13th August 2008, 20:06   #127
Team-BHP Support

Morning I had asked the Service advisor for a full engine check.

I got this email from the Service Advisor in the evening:

Quote:
Dear sir ,
we got the cylinder head & fixing it out in best possible way . i opened the crank case & removed one of connecting rod bed , while inspecting it is clear that the engine is overhauled once . the 1st over size connecting bed found in the engine , so it is overhauled once. and it is found that the job is not done in perfect way . we check the play of all connecting bed it is found ok and we tested for connect rod bend by the way mr behram suggested . i think it is not necessory to overhaul the engine now itself . i am sending a photo of that connecting bed with bearing .
When I talked to him later, he told me that the next overhaul is not required at least for 40,000 Kms. Therefore no other engine work needed for a long time.

The photo he sent:
Overheating problem in Jeep-dsc00422.jpg
Old 13th August 2008, 21:07   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He said he will weld only under owner's risk and won't take any responsibility for this work.
Quite rightly so. On (double wall) castings welding is not going to work with any degree of reliability. COLD repair is required.
The process is called Metalocking. Please check if there is someone in India that would do this.
End of the day, it might not be cost-effective in our country.

And, BTW, form that photo of the bearing, I would recommend that the central grooves be manually etched deeper to ensure oil retention.

Last edited by anupmathur : 13th August 2008 at 21:09.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:18   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samurai - don't touch the king pin bearings if there is no symptom. Just grease them (if there is greasing access, then only grease them otherwise don't open for greasing) and then leave them alone. How is the engine work coming along? Please give an update.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 20th August 2008, 10:50   #130
Team-BHP Support

So any updates Samu san?
Old 20th August 2008, 10:56   #131
Team-BHP Support

Behramji, yesterday it was started once. Today they are planning to retorque the the head bolts. I have also asked them to completely check the Jeep for all the oil levels and mechanicals including 4WD system. Might as well get it done while it is there. I am planning to bring it home tomorrow.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:04   #132
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have also asked them to completely check the Jeep for all the oil levels and mechanicals including 4WD system.
Good idea Samurai. Do check the shift linkages for wear. And the universal joints in the drive shaft
Old 20th August 2008, 11:41   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samurai - there is a torquing procedure for XDP4.90 engine which must be carried out without any deviation. Crow foot spanner is required for this. Although the people would be well aware, if you could double cross check, I will be grateful.

I STILL AWAIT RADIATOR DIMENSIONS & SPECIFICATIONS.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 20th August 2008, 20:55   #134
Team-BHP Support

Today they did 20Kms of drive on NH-17 and found the temp steady at 80C like before. But the overheating problem can't be confirmed until I take it to Agumbe ghats again. But that will have to wait until I do run-in for first 500Kms.

Behramji, I will do the measurements myself once I get the Jeep tomorrow.
Old 21st August 2008, 02:11   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today they did 20Kms of drive on NH-17 and found the temp steady at 80C like before.
Are you now running the jeep cooling system, with coolant and a separate reservoir. Running plain water in the system will only aid in corroding the new head...ever so slowly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks