Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 14:55   #241
BHPian

Re: Gypsy on Steroids -- The SPoA Project. EDIT: Stage-2 Started now..

I have 4.16 crawlers and 2" shackle lift. Do I require a T-bar?

Does anyone have some issues in engagement of crawler gears? In the recent otrs I have found that sometimes the 4wd gears don't engage. Even if I am in 4L or 4H, only the rear wheels are powered. The gear knob gets kind of stuck between 4h, N and 4L and does not mover to 2H. Only after moving the car forward or reverse a bit does it work fine. Recently, this happened in the middle of a gushing water crossing and I was stuck badly.

Last edited by Arsi : 18th August 2021 at 14:59.
Old 19th August 2021, 02:37   #242
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
I have 4.16 crawlers and 2" shackle lift. Do I require a T-bar?

Does anyone have some issues in engagement of crawler gears? In the recent otrs I have found that sometimes the 4wd gears don't engage. Even if I am in 4L or 4H, only the rear wheels are powered. The gear knob gets kind of stuck between 4h, N and 4L and does not mover to 2H. Only after moving the car forward or reverse a bit does it work fine. Recently, this happened in the middle of a gushing water crossing and I was stuck badly.
I have experienced something similar (gear knob stuck with 4wd engaged) without crawler gears after forgetting to get off 4wd immediately upon reaching a surface with traction - especially after a turn! The driveshaft binding may be the reason. Moving forward and back until the gears loosen is the only way once that happens. A reliable solution if available is to move over to one side of the road with one side wheels on to a grassy or sandy surface as this immediately releases the build-up of tension, and this has worked for me a few times. I guess your crawler gears are resulting in more binding effect than stock perhaps? A possible resolution would be to only use 4wd with crawler gears with extreme care on slippery surfaces or rocky terrain where wheels frequently lift up in the air.

Last edited by Ragul : 19th August 2021 at 02:44.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:40   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I have experienced something similar (gear knob stuck with 4wd engaged) without crawler gears after forgetting to get off 4wd immediately upon reaching a surface with traction - especially after a turn! The driveshaft binding may be the reason. Moving forward and back until the gears loosen is the only way once that happens. A reliable solution if available is to move over to one side of the road with one side wheels on to a grassy or sandy surface as this immediately releases the build-up of tension, and this has worked for me a few times. I guess your crawler gears are resulting in more binding effect than stock perhaps? A possible resolution would be to only use 4wd with crawler gears with extreme care on slippery surfaces or rocky terrain where wheels frequently lift up in the air.
No, this is something else. What happens in my case is that the 4wd is not engaged on ground while the shifter is in 4l or 4h. And the shifter moves between 4l, n and 4h but with no effect on the tyres. Also the gearknob in N becomes way too slack in all directions whoch is not the case normally. I am guessing that there's some problem in the 4wd engagement inside the gearbox.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks