Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 12:41   #61
BHPian

So, Force Motors was a no-show at the Auto Expo?
Old 12th January 2010, 12:43   #62
BHPian

NO SHOW - neither force nor MAN
Old 12th January 2010, 16:02   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

They got the dates wrong. The calendar in their is corporate office is from 1982.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2010, 04:27   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Though I would have voiced for Gurkha fiercely but then thinking rationale and being practical I would have given same advice as 4x4 addict!!

Wait on Gurkha might prove futile. Even the people with whom I am in touch are unaware of the outcome and situation.

I would though then go on to suggest that instead of spending money on thar and building it up, wont it be wise to buy a scrap and build it up with your choice of engine and everything.

Just Think what 6.5L ( expected money you would pay for thar) would do that machine, now add whatever money you would had put on mods for thar - I guess your machine would become invincible - in terms of comfort or offroad!
rhandle: True, I was almost there, rebuilding a army disposal and may be will do that in the future.
As 4x4addict said, nothing like a brand new vehicle. the extra you pay here is for the peace of mind, reliability and technology.
This is my first vehicle in India, so utility is important. I feel bolero would be the best choice for me as its a 5 door and a good tour vehicle (I would drive a lot on bad roads).

For me the compromise / drawback with Thar will be:
1. its a 2 door / say 3 door (biggest issue)
2. hard top is a must
3. not sure is bank would finance

Advantages of Thar
1. awesome value for money - (4x4, crdi)
2. Pretty hardy vehicle
3. OTR - saves on cost of rebuilding a used jeep and maintaining 2 vehicles
4. dream of driving a Jeep

A city car is a must - say an alto or santro
long drives, weekend out of town drive, tour - bolero
entertainment, offroading - jeep

here the choice is either have 3 or 2 vehicles - what do you suggest - your comments please (rhandle & 4x4addict)
Old 13th January 2010, 05:19   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Thar can double up as a city car. No need to waste money on a Santro. I used my MM540 as my daily driver in Bangalore traffic and trust me, you get a lot more respect from Indicabs and Sumo Taxis than you will ever get in a Santro. They look warily at your metal bumpers sticking out in all four corners and don't try to cut you off . Besides when parking was an issue, I had the option of driving the front onto the footpath or parking in a spot which I wouldn't dare to take a santro.
Old 13th January 2010, 05:35   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The Thar can double up as a city car. No need to waste money on a Santro. I used my MM540 as my daily driver in Bangalore traffic and trust me, you get a lot more respect from Indicabs and Sumo Taxis than you will ever get in a Santro. They look warily at your metal bumpers sticking out in all four corners and don't try to cut you off . Besides when parking was an issue, I had the option of driving the front onto the footpath or parking in a spot which I wouldn't dare to take a santro.
Thanks 4x4addict,
This is why I call Thar as all in one vehicle or as you said all rounder
Old 13th January 2010, 10:01   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
.... I used my MM540 as my daily driver in Bangalore traffic and trust me, you get a lot more respect from Indicabs and Sumo Taxis than you will ever get in a Santro. They look warily at your metal bumpers sticking out in all four corners and don't try to cut you off ...
+1 for that. Its the same situation in NCR also. The rogue traffic suddenly becomes very civilized in front of a proper Jeep. Thar is definitely going to bridge the gap between a frequent driver and jeeping.
Old 13th January 2010, 13:12   #68
BHPian

I am 100% agree with what 4x4 addicts ‘s view. Earlier I had a plan to modify a 550/540 for cursing purpose. But I gave up as it requires changes to the fundamental characters of Mahindra vehicles. They are not built for high speed high way run.
Instead of putting a better engine and really work hard on steering and suspension its better idea to take vehicle which has a character o f a cruiser .like Gurkha.
The vehicle that I was talking about that looks like this , picture attached.
The only difference is that it has short chassis then the picture. If spare s are not an issue and it has got a reliability factor I can go for buying this and start a new rebuilding story. If any body has started a rebuilding a gurkha please let me know.
Please let me know on which year onwards Mercedes engines were discontinued.
Regards
Srinivas
Attached Thumbnails
Om611 Crdi 125bhp For Trax Gurkha?-.jpg  

Old 18th March 2010, 16:49   #69
BHPian

Guys,

I don't know if its been there form long time, look at the bottom 2 images on this force website

...::: Welcome to the Area of Home Contacts section of Force Motors :::...

My cousin spotted a BRAND NEW TT near our house that was sporting a OM611 logo on it so I was browsing the site to find more info & stumbled upon the above link.

Cheers
Sunil
Old 18th March 2010, 17:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisunil View Post
...I don't know if its been there form long time, look at the bottom 2 images on this force website

...::: Welcome to the Area of Home Contacts section of Force Motors :::...
It has been there for almost as long as the Trax has been around .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisunil View Post
...My cousin spotted a BRAND NEW TT near our house that was sporting a OM611 logo on it ...
Force has been testing the OM611 in the TT, for some time now.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 18th March 2010 at 17:03.
Old 18th March 2010, 23:39   #71
BHPian

Just felt like sharing... it must be posted already. (Source is Force Site>News)

May this is the reason why Force does not market Gurkha? Current;y Force have only two 4X4 models:
Gurkha & KargoKing 4X4 Pick-Up. Looks like they have already discontinued 4WD Gama/ Judo.
They need another request from some auto magazine for OM611 Gurkha?

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 18th March 2010 at 23:40.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

OT- Do I see Vinod Nookala in the co-drivers seat (in the above pic)?

Spike
Old 19th March 2010, 10:20   #73
Team-BHP Support

This is a news item from 2007.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:20   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a news item from 2007.
Yes. Its from a magazine article from 2007. Just wanted to share it coz according to magazine, the force started production of Gurkha because they (Magazine) persuade them to do so (On their reader's demand).

So I guess thats what is needed now to get them producing Gurkha's with OM611 engines?

Some moths ago, someone had posted that Force is now working on a completely new Gurkha with OM611 engine, New Chassis & New exterior styling etc. & it would be showcased in AutoExpo'10. Looks like that was just another rumor....
Old 19th March 2010, 13:03   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Advantages of Thar
1. awesome value for money - (4x4, crdi)
2. Pretty hardy vehicle
3. OTR - saves on cost of rebuilding a used jeep and maintaining 2 vehicles
4. dream of driving a Jeep

Well , i wouldnt really like to think that the Thar is VFM since the pricing is yet to be announced and there is a whole lot of discussions on another thread whether the thar would actually be VFM considering the price at 7 lac range. An interesting debate going on in the below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...7-38-a-80.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks