Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 14:14   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Transfer Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why, I'm told the electric is not as positive as the manual one and failure rates are high!!

If above statement is not TRUE, then why did the THAR come with manual TC?

i said converting a electric shift BW to Manual with some jugad is not recommended.

we can always swap the whole TC with manual shift TC any time.

yes the electric TC is not reliable as Manual BW.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:58   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Why, I'm told the electric is not as positive as the manual one and failure rates are high!!
The word 'high' is not the exact word for that , but YES there are issues WRT waterproofing ( even splash proofing ) . & there are some known problems .

Quote:
If above statement is not TRUE, then why did the THAR come with manual TC?
You need to 'Thank' DB Sir for this I know certain 'people ' wont like the 'Thank ' thing here -- but Apologies in advance

Jokes apart but 'He' must have faced such things or knowing it in advance so its possible that he preferred Manual shift , I think he can explain better .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 10:22   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post

BTW there is one manual borg warner + KMT90 for sell in Delhi.
Can you please give the details and price for this ?
Old 11th September 2011, 13:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Jokes apart but 'He' must have faced such things or knowing it in advance so its possible that he preferred Manual shift , I think he can explain better .
@Sudharshan Jee: The electric shift uses motors to do the shifting, hence there is a small delay between engaging 4wd and the actual locking of the front axle. Also it was prone to a lot of problems because of incorrect design in the concerned vehicle and M&M knew little about it.

In the wishlist thread, many had indicated the requirement of the good old manual 4wd as it appeared fool proof and better than fancy electronics!,

Hence the THAR has manual TC GB.
BTW, did you notice the placement of the TC lever on that vehicle?
Old 11th September 2011, 14:46   #35
BANNED

Quote:
@Sudharshan Jee: The electric shift uses motors to do the shifting, hence there is a small delay between engaging 4wd and the actual locking of the front axle. Also it was prone to a lot of problems because of incorrect design in the concerned vehicle and M&M knew little about it.
Headers Sir : Its really difficult for me to comment upon the Borg Warner Transfer case ,( with respect to the above ) . Because I have a very limited interaction with the said transfer case ( Product ) & that too on paper ,though I will connect with the Trabsfercase Wala & try to find some answer through the horses mouth

Quote:
In the wishlist thread, many had indicated the requirement of the good old manual 4wd as it appeared fool proof and better than fancy electronics!,
Sir the said thread is a subject of experts , so I will again refrain from commenting & there are enough people here who can actually suggest any improvement . I lack field experience to suggest any improvement

Quote:
Hence the THAR has manual TC GB.
BTW, did you notice the placement of the TC lever on that vehicle?
No Sir- I didn't notice that but I will check that as you say so , but I have heard some badly adjusted linkage affects the performance

Sudarshan
Old 11th September 2011, 16:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Can you please give the details and price for this ?

for more information go to this link.

Jeepsters Armada - Page 2

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 7th October 2011, 04:15   #37
BHPian

Dear all -

Thankyou for all your suggestions and recommendation. Special Thanks to Ashish (whitemm550) who helped me reach to some one in BorgWarner, Suresh Stephen for his patience and passion and Swastikviji for helping me with Ramesh's number)and Bebeoy (advised on part availabality in Chennai).

Firstly after speaking to some of them, i gave up the idea of either replacing the ECU or getting it repaired; not worth the cost, effort nor reliable.

Second, a manual X-Case wasn't available cheap as well. One of our BHPians quoted 40k only for the used BA-10 gearbox and x-case !! So gave up !

Spent some time with Suresh at his residence understanding the mechanics of this 4x4 setup and probable solutions (he was kind enough to crawl under the jeep to examine and explain !). I promised him, i'll discuss with a fabricator and keep him posted (Sorry Mr.Suresh, i decided not to go with the pully mechanism for i found an easy alternative )

In my eagerness to fix this issue, i found this website 'www.theshiftster.com'; and that's it ! bought The Shiftster got it shipped (thanks to a friend who was visiting) !

Got my hands on the Shifter 3 days ago, fixed the setup myself today and my 4x4 jeep is good to go ! The pictures below should explain the rest.

"
https://picasaweb.google.com/1016205...eat=directlink

"
Next Steps :

This was the easiest and the most cost effective solution i was able to find. The mechanism is easy to explain to others who may drive my jeep. Luckly the Trabsfer case is positioned exactly inbetween the front 2 seats. I plan to visit a tinkerer and ask him to neatly fabricate a Flapdoor, (may be like a fuel tank door) this way either i or the person next to me can engage right from sitting inside the jeep.

Currently its difficult to always step out, duck down, crawl to reach the shifter; also with the hot exhaust pipe close by, good chances of getting a burn. Hope the internal door helps. From what i see, i do not even have to bend from the driver's seat, to reach the shifter as its right below the floor.

Again, thanks for your recommendations ! I'm back with a solid and reliable 4x4 !

Regards
Charan
charan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 11:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charan View Post
In my eagerness to fix this issue, i found this website 'www.theshiftster.com'; and that's it ! bought The Shiftster got it shipped (thanks to a friend who was visiting) !

This was the easiest and the most cost effective solution i was able to find. The mechanism is easy to explain to others who may drive my jeep. Luckly the Trabsfer case is positioned exactly inbetween the front 2 seats. I plan to visit a tinkerer and ask him to neatly fabricate a Flapdoor, (may be like a fuel tank door) this way either i or the person next to me can engage right from sitting inside the jeep.

Regards
Charan

thanks for the information !

please post the pictures here.

this is very useful but with this you loose the onfly shift ability.

BTW i am not sure about the door on the floor due to position & distance of the shifter from the person sitting on the seat.

but if it works out many offroaders will thank you.

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 7th October 2011, 11:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
thanks for the information !

please post the pictures here.

BTW i am not sure about the door on the floor due to position & distance of the shifter from the person sitting on the seat.

but if it works out many offroaders will thank you.

rgds,
Nikhil
Thanks Nikhil

I'm unable to post pics as i think i am still a newbie, meanwhile please follow the picasa link; will post pictures of the flap door once fabricated, maye be over the next week end.

Regards
Old 8th October 2011, 09:28   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@charan:

Excellent job with the T-case. Mahindra should really stop offering the electrical transfer case, if they cannot service.

Where did you get the BFG tires from? Are they 15 or 16 inch?
Old 8th October 2011, 09:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster

rgds,
Nikhil
Shift on the fly works under 20 kph only..so no worries at all.

Now I need a borg warner electric tc that has failed..any clues?
Old 8th October 2011, 09:59   #42
BANNED

Charan has shared some excellent info , thanks to him

Dear All & Charan
putting a drawing for your thinking , can a cable mechanism consisting of Inner & outer cables be used to rotate the shifter knob ??

There are two cables to rotate the disc , when one cable pulles the other is idle so each cable rotates the knob at different direction . Also there will be a lever in the cabin attached to these cables to pull them

( this has been inspired from the shifting mechanism of the geared scooters )
I dont know how effective the cable controll be , but people involved in doing the setup can think over it

Mahindra Transfer Cases-bw-shifter.png

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 10:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Sudarshan Jee: I bow to you. The shifter designed by them is a positive locking mechanism. Cable solution will work but what about the slack that develops over time and what if the cable gets cut

One of the primary reasons for development of this device is because of the unwarranted failure of the electric shifting mechanism. Thats why they have a manual knob to do the shifting - anyways!!
Old 8th October 2011, 10:32   #44
BANNED

Quote:
The shifter designed by them is a positive locking mechanism.
A spring loaded ball can be used for indexing a position on the disc

Also a third cable can be used to activate/deactivate a spring loaded safety latch .

Quote:
Cable solution will work but what about the slack that develops over time and what if the cable gets cut
adjusters can be added to outer cables to take up the slag & heavy cables like the front brake cables from bikes can be used

Observe the bajaj or lambretta scooter gear shift mechanism for this ( my original inspiration )

Sudarshan
Old 8th October 2011, 10:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

some pictures until Charan posts full installation pics.

Mahindra Transfer Cases-100_0595.jpg

Mahindra Transfer Cases-shiftster1installation0011.jpg
the colors.
Name:  Shiftster1Ultimatealbum00711.jpg
Views: 4568
Size:  69.4 KB

Mahindra Transfer Cases-s1colors006.jpg
Mahindra Transfer Cases-manualtransfercaseshifterproto201.jpg
Mahindra Transfer Cases-shiftster10561.jpg
before.
Mahindra Transfer Cases-20101221102338.jpg
after.
Mahindra Transfer Cases-20101221112304.jpg

pic's from
The Shiftster-1's.... - FSB Forums

How to Troubleshoot and Fix F150 4X4 1997-2003 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

the shiftster - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

the shiftster - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Last edited by jeepster : 8th October 2011 at 10:55.
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks