Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2015, 04:47   #91
KMT
BHPian

Re: M&M Engine and Gearbox combos for JEEPs

Hi
I have got a used 3200tc engine that I intend to use to run a static irrigation pump.

Would anyone be able to guide me on 2 things-

What bhp (appx) does this engine put out at 1500rpm and 1800rpm?

I have been told that the Turbo was just bolted on by Mahindra for emission purposes and if I remove it, there will be minimal loss in power. Is this true?

Any opinions on these questions will help me to spec out the irrigation pump that will be coupled to this engine.

Thanks
KMT
Old 19th October 2015, 21:21   #92
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Asked before I think.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post3797456

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 08:29   #93

I found a 2006 4x4 MM550 NGCS BSll ex army with XD3P and a 5+1 speed gearbox, can any one help me to identify if it is a NGT or BA10
Attached Thumbnails
M&M Engine and Gearbox combos for JEEPs-1445655509165.jpg  

M&M Engine and Gearbox combos for JEEPs-1445655531784.jpg  

M&M Engine and Gearbox combos for JEEPs-1445655551034.jpg  

kaushik.genius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 12:40   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik.genius View Post
I found a 2006 4x4 MM550 NGCS BSll ex army with XD3P and a 5+1 speed gearbox, can any one help me to identify if it is a NGT or BA10
Hi,
Just look if the GB is cast iron, if so, its NGT520. If its Aluminium, then its BA10. However, I have a feeling most vehicles came with NGT520.
Old 2nd November 2015, 12:38   #95
BANNED

How about the availability of Tata Safari gearbox with transfercase?. If available what will be the aporoximate price. Please let me know.
Old 20th November 2015, 20:50   #96

Hello,
Thank you senior Bhpians for the inputs. After confirmation that the gearbox is an NGT 520 I had started the restoration process of the jeep with my Mechanic. The XD3P engine was completely overhauled and now the engine starts perfectly and the revving is like a song. The gearbox had issues and a few parts were changed. I need advice for the following.

1. The 1st, 2nd and 5th gears slot in after a lot of hit and try. What could be the probable reasons and how do I go about it?

2. My mechanic has given up, hence is there any M&M service centre who can attend to the NGT 520?
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:07   #97

After changing some worn out gears and synchroniser rings now facing the following problem. The sliding sleeve between 1st and 2nd gear shifts are very hard comparative to the one between 3rd and 4th. Some play exists in the sliding sleeve. For clarity attaching a pic. Help please?
Attached Thumbnails
M&M Engine and Gearbox combos for JEEPs-img_20151122_143356_1.jpg  

kaushik.genius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 15:23   #98
BHPian

My 1999 Mahindra Armada :: Journey to make it 4X4 from 4X2

Hello Fellow BHPians,

Opening a new thread for the modification of a “Dream”, The dream started when I finished college and got a job behind a desk, discovered Team-BHP and was hooked to the ever increasing brotherhood of the off roaders, The community which was supporting every member even if it was a competition.

However as luck would have it, I never had a chance of buying and restoring/ modifying a machine which was capable of being termed as a off roader. After seven years of waiting and watching, I finally purchased a 1999 Mahindra Armada in January 2015 and have been using since.

The aesthetic appearance may not be very pleasant but it’s a very trustworthy vehicle and have been performing without a glitch. I always had confusions regarding the fact that how would I live with a vehicle as a daily drive which lacks basic creature comforts and is noisy above 70kmph.

However after living with it for little over a year now, I just say one thing that I love it!

The specs of the vehicle are as follows;
Make: Mahindra
Model: Armada
Year of Manufacturing: 1999
Engine: XDP 4.90 2112cc
Gear Box: 4 Forward +1 Reverse (KMT 90)
Drive train: 4X2

Now requesting valuable inputs from you veterans,
The basic need for the modifications is as follows;
1. Should be reliable.
2. Should be able to cruise on the highway.
3. Should have 4X4 capability
4. A provision for power steering
5. Air conditioner
Being in a Tier III city the options for the material available is very scant, I will have to take up the purchase to maybe Delhi (Mayapuri) or Bhopal.
I plan for a Engine/ Transmission and Drive train change, The options which I have been looking into are as follows;
1. XDP 4.90 with 4X4 and BA-10 with Power steering (Leave A/c aside)
2. XD3P with 4X4 and BA-10 with A/c and Power steering
3. M2DI with 4X4 and KMT 90 with A/c and Power steering
4. M2DI with 4X4 and BA-10 with A/c and Power steering
M2DI or MDI is very rare to find in a good condition, but they are reliable and very easy to maintain, XD3P is easy to source but every person has been in trouble since the engine is rebuilt. However as the Armada came with both (XDP & XD3P) therefore the engine mounts will not have to be modified.

Request you all to give your opinions on which option to choose, The vehicle age/ Investment is not a very big issue and I intend to keep this vehicle for a long time.

Current Photographs of the vehicle are as follows;

M&M Engine and Gearbox combos for JEEPs-img20150907wa0008.jpg

M&M Engine and Gearbox combos for JEEPs-img20150907wa0009.jpg

M&M Engine and Gearbox combos for JEEPs-img20150907wa0010.jpg

M&M Engine and Gearbox combos for JEEPs-img20150907wa0012.jpg

Mods: It is most humbly requested to keep this as a separate thread. Thank You!

nbk.0707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 12:26   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 1999 Mahindra Armada :: Journey to make it 4X4 from 4X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbk.0707 View Post
XD3P with 4X4 and BA-10 with A/c and Power steering
This would be my top pick. Reliable, easy to source and minimal effort to fit into your car.

Don't worry about those that had problems after a rebuild. It says a lot about the poor quality of part & labour they used. There's no reason why a professional engine overhaul shouldn't have it running as good as new.

I'm using the XD3P in my Jeep. Lovely engine for the purpose.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 13:46   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[left]
I plan for a Engine/ Transmission and Drive train change, The options which I have been looking into are as follows;[indent]1. XDP 4.90 with 4X4 and BA-10 with Power steering (Leave A/c aside)
2. XD3P with 4X4 and BA-10 with A/c and Power steering
3. M2DI with 4X4 and KMT 90 with A/c and Power steering
4. M2DI with 4X4 and BA-10 with A/c and Power steering
My suggestion would be DiTurbo with NGT 520 (from NGCS 550). You will also have to change front and rear diff (NGCS has right aligned diff).
It would be good if you strike a deal for front diff, rear diff, GB+TC and front and rear leaf spring sets (to make your Jeep more comfortable). This above mentioned set costed me around 80K a year back in Mayapuri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There's no reason why a professional engine overhaul shouldn't have it running as good as new.

I'm using the XD3P in my Jeep. Lovely engine for the purpose.
GTO,
You bought a new XD3P engine thats why. 99% of overhauled engine throw some problem or other. Though i was part of 1% and XD3P in my bolero never gave problem after rebuilt

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 12:46   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear nbk.0707,

I would suggest to keep the whole vehicle stock. Hence stick on to XDP 4.9. Also because rebuilding it is very very easy. With the right tools, you can change the rings and pistons at home.

Since this is a C-Section narrow track Armada, to make it a comparatively newer(technology) and comfortable vehicle, you will have to spend on a 1. Better engine 2. Better gearbox, 3. Better front and rear axles and finally 4. Better Chaissis. If you spend too much money on it, you will not be able to recover the costs.

So, I would suggest to rebuild the vehicle to stock specs. It will be reliable, and will offer you the comfort when it was new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
.. Though i was part of 1% and XD3P in my bolero never gave problem after rebuilt ...
Quote:
Don't worry about those that had problems after a rebuild. It says a lot about the poor quality of part & labour they used. There's no reason why a professional engine overhaul shouldn't have it running as good as new.
Problems crop up when you go offroad, and revv the nuts out of it in 2nd LOW. IIRC, it was a car engine.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 13:19   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Dear nbk.0707,
Problems crop up when you go offroad, and revv the nuts out of it in 2nd LOW. IIRC, it was a car engine.
Dear Dhanushs Sir/ GTO Sir and Shubhendra Sir,

Thanks for providing your inputs, My point wise replies to your posts,

1. GTO Sir, XD3P has been a first choice since the beginning as this would be the best option considering that no changes are required on the engine mounting front and as this particular platform already had an option of XD3P in other trim, Things will be very simple. However sourcing a good engine while keeping the cost on the lower side has been a challenge. I came across a XD3P from a Bolero Sport which was in a decent shape but the Scrap guy wanted 50k for the engine alone leave aside the starter/ alternator and every thing, If I go with this option I plan to buy a complete set (Engine/ GB/ TC and axles from a NGCS MM550) rebuild the complete set and be Happy. Will this option be considerable.

2. Shubhendra Sir, DiTurbo has been on the radar for my father as he has a knack for the growling beast under the hood . But again these engines are difficult to source in my location. Reading your posts If I'm right, You have a very good knowledge about the Bhopal market, Request your inputs on the Bhopal Market for parts.

3. Dhanushs Sir, Maybe the picture angle was incorrect but this a wide track, Armada with a Box section NGCS Chassis, with wider spring leaves. We have had around 4 vehicles with XDP 4.90 since 90's however the highway cruising have been a big issue as XDP becomes a howler after 80kmph, My question to you can I install a 5+1 GB with XDP and live with it. Air conditioner is something I can omit completely. However Power steering I would want essentially.

Awaiting your response.
Old 15th January 2016, 14:34   #103
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I would suggest to keep the whole vehicle stock. Hence stick on to XDP 4.9. Also because rebuilding it is very very easy. With the right tools, you can change the rings and pistons at home.
But the XDP 4.9 is so similar to the XD3P! They even sound & behave the same. Of course, XD3P has the power advantage.

Quote:
However sourcing a good engine while keeping the cost on the lower side has been a challenge.
With rebuilding cars, the rule is generally:

Performance, Reliability & Cost - Pick any two.

If you want a good rebuild, you cannot do it at a low cost. I have a first hand experience with this. Remember, using the best quality parts & labour at the start will save you many headaches later.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 16:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Shubhendra Sir, DiTurbo has been on the radar for my father as he has a knack for the growling beast under the hood . But again these engines are difficult to source in my location. Reading your posts If I'm right, You have a very good knowledge about the Bhopal market, Request your inputs on the Bhopal Market for parts.

Awaiting your response.
I am not sir.
50K for XD3P is too much. I sold my XD3P (fully rebuilt engine and pump + starter+alternator+ bell housing) for 21 thousand few months back

As you are located in jhansi, would strongly suggest to visit Kanpur scrap market, get Diturbo off from a totalled pick-up, get GB+diffs from Mayapuri/bhopal), you can procure entire AC setup from Kanpur along with bolero dashboard.
Get hold of a good mechanic and fabricator, use genuine M&M mountings and you are done.
Though Di engine is crude but its zero maintenance engine and can withstand extreme cold and heat of north India.
I can give you number of a guy in Mayapuri from whom i procure parts but with a caveat that deal at your own risk

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 23:06   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. Dhanushs Sir, Maybe the picture angle was incorrect but this a wide track, Armada with a Box section NGCS Chassis, with wider spring leaves. We have had around 4 vehicles with XDP 4.90 since 90's however the highway cruising have been a big issue as XDP becomes a howler after 80kmph, My question to you can I install a 5+1 GB with XDP and live with it. Air conditioner is something I can omit completely. However Power steering I would want essentially.
Hi, Sorry for wrongly judging the photos.

Well, since you already have a NGCS with wider axles, for the below requirement
Quote:
1. Should be reliable.
2. Should be able to cruise on the highway.
3. Should have 4X4 capability
4. A provision for power steering
5. Air conditioner
The best engine + gearbox combo I would recommend, would be a Scorpio engine and an NGT530R gearbox and a Borg Warner transfer case. Also, get a wider 57" OKBJ or 58"CKKP front axle. You can easily do 3 digit speeds all day long with this combo. And with enough power and torque, you never get bored. Also, the engine IIRC comes with a PS pump, and fitting an AC shouldnt be a stress on this engine.
Quote:
But the XDP 4.9 is so similar to the XD3P! They even sound & behave the same. Of course, XD3P has the power advantage.
Hi Yes, but when you are rebuilding engines, the XDP with wet liners are so easy, and replacing the pistons and liners are plug and play. Where as XD3P is dry liners, and need to be taken to a machine shop to overhaul the engine. Thats where expertise comes in, and reliability goes for a six.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks