Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 07:23   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Possibly a simple test for LSD is to jack one of the rear wheels up and roll it. In an open diff, it would move freely while the one on the ground would be stationary. With LSD, it should not be moving freely at all speeds. At some speed difference i.e. limited slip, the LSD would kick in.

Aditya

Also, these two simple tests show how your LSD is doing.
I too learn' t from Arka, Sir Behram and Spike, when I installed 550 diffs on my 340.

1. Engine off, Jack up the rear wheels, in 4th gear, hand rotate the wheel tyre (clockwise) forward. The left wheel should rotate in the opposite direction.

2. No need for speed. When driving make a sharp U bend or L bend and accelerate, you can feel the LSD in action when you feel a sudden surge and slight screeching from your rear wheels.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 14:16   #137
Senior - BHPian

Adi and Fazalbhai, really appreciate your inputs and advise. Please keep on informing us newbies about the dos and donts regarding our MM550s. I for one, was never a propagator of the diesel heart unless i realised the qualities of a diesel v/s a petrol heart (available i our country that is, this is not to start a debate on which is better, generally)
Old 4th July 2011, 15:29   #138
BHPian

Gogi bhai,

About the oil cooler - just make sure that your oil cooler is fitted at the time of engine work (especially when the head is detached). There is an outlet secured by three bolts at the back of the engine head to which the oil cooler hose connects . It is *hard* to reach when the head is mounted on the block. There's about a ~1 inch clearance between that and the firewall !.

The second hose pipe connects to the water pump, which is relatively simple to hook up.

I learned of this the hard way - the mech told me it has to wait until the next time the engine head is opened.

Cheers.
lugnut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 22:25   #139
Senior - BHPian

^ the most absurd comment made by a mechanic!! Sorry!!

Just go to a Tinker, cut out a 5"By5" sheet on the firewall just ahead of the gear stick. Will give access to the 2 triangle plates behind a XDP Series head, ask the tinker to make a half-CM longer-wider plate and attach it with 4 screws back into the firewall, so that you can attach/work/detach the oil cooler plumbing anytime you want.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 07:58   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Just go to a Tinker, cut out a 5"By5" sheet on the firewall just ahead of the gear stick. Will give access to the 2 triangle plates behind a XDP Series head, ask the tinker to make a half-CM longer-wider plate and attach it with 4 screws back into the firewall, so that you can attach/work/detach the oil cooler plumbing anytime you want.
Santosh,

It is not an absurd comment but a very practical solution in accessing those rectangular plates, or else you need to hook up the whole engine and lift it to access that area.

Improvisation (not visible) for our ease of use is fine in Jeeps that are not stock or classics/ vintages. I would never mess with an original specimen but like in my wip 340, I have made the rear access plate and believe me it helps (will show it to you at Lonavala). Also try not to seal the gear box part of the floor, or one ends up in dismounting the gearbox for any minor work too.
Regards,
Old 5th July 2011, 13:29   #141
BHPian

Quote:

I guess I landed with the most uninspired /unimaginative mech possible
I'll be getting this done.

Last edited by lugnut : 5th July 2011 at 13:46.
Old 5th July 2011, 14:51   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
the mech told me it has to wait until the next time the engine head is opened
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
....but a very practical solution in accessing those rectangular plates
Fazal sir, looks like you got my post wrong, the 'mech' said to open the HEAD to access the rear plates, I had seconded you - make the tinker job now, to access any time...
Old 5th July 2011, 20:55   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazal sir, looks like you got my post wrong, the 'mech' said to open the HEAD to access the rear plates, I had seconded you - make the tinker job now, to access any time...
Sorry Santosh,

I got it wrong, it was too early in the morning.
Regards,
Old 6th July 2011, 01:14   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Gogi bhai,

About the oil cooler - just make sure that your oil cooler is fitted at the time of engine work (especially when the head is detached). There is an outlet secured by three bolts at the back of the engine head to which the oil cooler hose connects . It is *hard* to reach when the head is mounted on the block. There's about a ~1 inch clearance between that and the firewall !.

The second hose pipe connects to the water pump, which is relatively simple to hook up.

I learned of this the hard way - the mech told me it has to wait until the next time the engine head is opened.

Cheers.
Thats more welcome information on the Oil Cooler Lugnut.

Quote:

Thats a brilliant idea and must get this done before the insulation and sound deadening sheet is installed on the firewall.

The gearbox was dismantled and opened, luckily all gears are in good condition but surprisingly, the old oil had some kind of emmery in it. Some shavings and pieces of metal?? Wonder where that came out from. Diffs checked and are ok. Gearbox and diff oil changed and bearings replaced. Tomorrow breather pipes go on and the snorkel work will start. After that the roll cage and step cum rock sliders. There is hardly any time left for the Examm and Akc and a whole lot of work left to be completed. I need 15'' 8 or 8.5J rims faaaast!!

Need to go shopping for some more stuff too but that can wait till until later.
Old 6th July 2011, 02:35   #145
Senior - BHPian

Guys where can i get wheels like that for my MM550? What make are they and are they easily available?

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-wheels.jpg

I would not mind putting them on the CJ after ive used them for the coming otrs i.e. AKC and EXAMM.
Old 6th July 2011, 06:46   #146

These are the argentinian wheels isnt it?? PRetty common in chor bazaar at one point of time. I think allan should be able to find you a pair.
Old 6th July 2011, 08:25   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thats a brilliant idea and must get this done before the insulation and sound deadening sheet is installed on the firewall.
Before I take any credit - entire Idea was given to me over a cellphone by Arka a few months ago!!!

Quote:
The gearbox was dismantled and opened, luckily all gears are in good condition but surprisingly, the old oil had some kind of emmery in it. Some shavings and pieces of metal?
May be the older bearings - do you still have them? Examine closely each of the bearings, if needed screwdriver' OUT the two circles to pop the rollers out and see the inner cone - all this to make sure only the bearings took the hit and not any of the gears? Did you dismantle the GB to the last tiny piece?Each and every gear - part? But dont worry, if the issue is not resolved now, your left hand will indicate the next re-build soon - ask me, 3 GB rebuilds due to shoddy mech works, now perfect.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:24   #148
Senior - BHPian

[quote=V-16;2418863]Guys where can i get wheels like that for my MM550? What make are they and are they easily available?

Attachment 572929

A friend has those wheels on his 550 & they look brilliant. Those are Brazillian Eagles and are pressed steel, NOT alloys. They look very nice !! So save money & get the looks too !

Cheers
Old 6th July 2011, 10:42   #149
Senior - BHPian

- don't mind Fazalbhai, need wheels asap. Later when the blackrocks arrive, I can switch these to the CJ. Any idea how much they cost and the pcd? Are they 8J or 8.5J?
Old 6th July 2011, 16:53   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Guys where can i get wheels like that for my MM550? What make are they and are they easily available?

Attachment 572929

I would not mind putting them on the CJ after ive used them for the coming otrs i.e. AKC and EXAMM.
IIRC - Shalimar Tires - Mumbai Kurla CST road - think he's got 2 sets [5 rims each set]
The rims are called 'Brazilian' rims

cheers

Last edited by lugnut : 6th July 2011 at 16:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks