Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 16:03   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
I don't have any contacts of 4x4 shops in Bangkok. But I am sure you will get some leads or pointers from fellow bhpians who have already visited there .
Cheers
So, Bhpians who have been there, give me the vital information please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Gogi bhai i think Bangkok will be a better option, check with the taxi guys they know all the shops. Pick one of the souped up Corolla taxi's for assured guidance
Yup, Bangkok would be the place for this and im spending 3 days there where i will dedicate one whole day for this.

Please guys lets have the details!!
Old 20th May 2011, 16:11   #62
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gogi here's a wild suggestion. Get a set of front and rear axles with lockers and complete hubs with brakes, all the links and struts for the suspension so that you can graft it all onto this Jeep's frame. Basically what I am suggesting is to throw the suspension out and modify it to a wrangler's high lift, long travel coil sprung setup. Get rims and 31 inchers as well.

Might as well go all out and make a monster Gogi !! Ideally buy a Wrangler frame and bring it in too Then you just cut and paste the 550 body onto it

Last edited by DKG : 20th May 2011 at 16:12.
Old 20th May 2011, 16:19   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Now i'm tempted to come along with you gogi!
Old 21st May 2011, 02:24   #64
Senior - BHPian

Thats pretty wild and imaginative too. guess ill look for something like that but the problem is ive only a few days in Bangkok so i was looking at addresses. Anyways thats a great idea DKG and it wont keep me from probing it. In the meanwhile, as thats what my pocket will allow, ill stick to accessories and add on things for the MM550. Difflocks is an item im wanting to get.
Old 21st May 2011, 09:43   #65
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
as thats what my pocket will allow
Customs don't permit used parts otherwise salvage yards abroad are a virtual storehouse of unbelievable stuff.

Last edited by DKG : 21st May 2011 at 09:47.
Old 21st May 2011, 20:54   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Customs don't permit used parts otherwise salvage yards abroad are a virtual storehouse of unbelievable stuff.
Please let me know of any salvage yards/breakers in Thaland-Bangkok!
Old 21st May 2011, 23:26   #67
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know of any salvage yards/breakers in Thaland-Bangkok!
I am aware of the ones in Dubai/Sharjah but I am sure Bangkok will have them too. If you see a used car lot and ask them they will guide you
Old 13th June 2011, 20:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

So i returned from Bangkok long since and could not find a single place where they had "Things" available for my MM. Also i was on holiday with my family and could not keep probing every place, also the places i was told were really far off and most whom i contacted on the phone had only stuff for the newer breed, available locally. So i decided to set my eyes on Dubai.

The Jeeps here and was i glad to see it. The day before, i got a call from the transporter who said the Jeep had arrived. I rushed to the spot with my Mechanic and his assistant, a Jerry can with 17+ liters of Diesel and some basic jump cables and a new battery. Although Harjeev had bought a brand new one for my Jeep but I still didnt want to take a chance in the rains.

Reached the destination described as Bunty Hotel near Shunty Lodge- Lol see for yourself i never believed Soumya when he told be "Its right next to Bunty Hotel Shunty Lodge"

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00685.jpg

It was pouring and it took me about 1.45 hrs to reach the place asking directions, calling Soumya and taking directions on the phone, etc.
The Jeep was parked there next to a beat up, maybe a Commander or a Cl 500.

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00684.jpg

It looked brand new. Harjeev's guy had done a decent job. My mechanic was thrilled that he would not have to drive a topless Jeep back home. The interior looked washed and the seats and top new. Alas the top had two huge gashes on it, probably from the transporters mishandling i guess.

I collected the keys and in one crank (after the customary glow plug intermediate period) the Jeep belched into life. We put in the diesel and took off, after filling air in the tyres. I was driving. After having experienced the CJ, the MM was higher, had an additional gear (thank heavens) and was more eager on the pick up, though this one was hunting (missing) a bit. We drove back steadily through 3 check posts, receiving a "Jai Hind Sir" from almost all the guards present at the tool booths.Though wrong on my part, I must admit they let me past without me paying the toll. I didnt bother to correct them as i had no number plates and Harjeev's guy had worked extra hard on making it look completely Military, with all the Military markings et all. That actually scared me if i got caught, so i just let them think what they thought and saluted back. Wrong move but in the situation i thought was the best thing to do.

The rains were pouting down consistently and i carefully steered her home.

A few pics.

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00687.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00686.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00688.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00689.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00694.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00693.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00692.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00695.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00691.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-dsc00690.jpg

I need to get the following done first ans fast- arranged for it.

1) Registration (MH)
2) Power steering
3) Roll cage
4) Seats front (the the rear fwd facing ones, ill see, that can wait after the Examm and the AKC)
5) Mechanical
6) Tyres (31'' Maxxis Bighorns) and Rims - looking out for some Black Rock Rims or similar design. Want a lip and deep dish. Please help me procure 15" 8.5 J
7) Snorkel and Top
8) A/C
9) Cosmetics
10) Paint

I thought id paint it but this is so good. Hes done a decent job and i thought id give it a something that distinguishes it from the Military look like Black or Chrome wheels and a black apron all round, maybe a black insect grill.

Also want a Winch and Hi Lift Jack an Air Compressor so help me procure the same guys.

Thanks to many friends i have a lot of sound advice (thanks Allan, Tejas and Soumya) and a few very needed parts

Ive dedicated 15 days for everything and if im fast, ill be able to pull this one off, give or take a few days to be able to test it thoroughly before Examm and AKC.

Want suggestions to flow;

Roll cage design experts, Tyre and Rim Gurus and all others please help!!
Old 13th June 2011, 21:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

congrats baiji thats a good looking jeep
i think its time for me to get one
manikjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 22:08   #70
Senior - BHPian

Gogi, get a hammer and some sharp objects and beat up the ol' girl, there is no way you will pass this jeep as a army auction...!! Looks as if you stole from one of the cantonment 'new jeep delivery' parking lots
Old 14th June 2011, 03:18   #71
BHPian

V-16 : Boss, the credit goes to Harjeev for this amazing achievement and to you have such deep faith in him.

Taking into consideration your requirements, thought of posting the below link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...0-beast-2.html

Jai Hind
Old 14th June 2011, 08:33   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Want suggestions to flow;
Roll cage design experts, Tyre and Rim Gurus and all others please help!!
V-16
Nice jeep you have got.
I am no guru just 2 rants from my side. Get the roll cage done from a pro. If you want to go DIY way then use 3.9mm (4mm) seamless CR tubes. You have to find a hydraulic tube bender to bend them and a MIG welder for the welding job. It takes lot of time and hard work to get this done (ask me how i know). We have used 2mm CR tubes and the workman ship is not so good. That is the max thickness of the tube which we could bend manually. They are just adequate. Also go through some mm540 roll cage designs and decide you need a 4 point or a 6 point cage. "A" piller will leave very less space for the acc pedal.
Hope it helps.

Last edited by mohang_j : 14th June 2011 at 08:40.
mohang_j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 15:42   #73
BHPian

Congratulations Gogi bhai !! Good looking Jeep!!
I will meet you personally very soon.

@ Harjeev Nice catch!

According to My experience ,You should go for professional workshop like Allan to do roll cage and other work so you will be happy to get all work done in one roof without any headache.

Wish you all the best for rest of the work!

Sanjay
4x4army is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 16:13   #74
BHPian

Soumya is a veteran with directions to Shunty-Bunty pick up / drop off location - Picked up my Jonga there as well.

The 550 looks great Gogi.. make a trip to Dubai before AKC/EXAMM - Its the best place for 4x4s IMHO. I just got back and got some goodies for the Jonga.. Goes without saying that you must connect with Shibu once you're there.

Let me know your plans for the roll cage. I need a simple 4 pointer as well.
R32_GTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 20:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Gogi, get a hammer and some sharp objects and beat up the ol' girl, there is no way you will pass this jeep as a army auction...!! Looks as if you stole from one of the cantonment 'new jeep delivery' parking lots
It looks new and i was pleasantly surprised too when i saw it for the first time. Frankly i was not expecting it to look like this good at all. It was redone and touched up, also many components were changed to get this look. Yes it does look quite Military and thats what i have to attend to asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
V-16 : Boss, the credit goes to Harjeev for this amazing achievement and to you have such deep faith in him.
Jai Hind
Absolutely! I cannot thank Harjeev enough. A MM550 purchase was in the cards but the ones i came across were either too expensive not done up or they were too expensive done up. Then the problem with the done up ones was that it was not what i wanted.

I have never met Harjeev, only interacted with him over some Jeep issues where i pointed some questions at him for my CJ and for the MM550, as he had owned both. Then when Tejas sold his classic and was toying with the idea of a MM550, i jumped in the bandwagon and started looking for a vehicle. Being quite impulsive myself, i had made up my mind to get a MM550 and get it ready for the Examm and AKC. So a few calls to friends from and off the forum and in Harjeev i saw a ray of hope.

Regarding the trust, well im a trusting guy and Harjeev's just proved me right. I cant thank him enough for taking time of his busy schedule and going and looking for a Jeep for me, finding it and then getting it done up so its looking this good.

Just proves my point that ive made some great friends from this forum and thsi forum actually makes the world a much smaller place. Help is just a click away and the best part is that, most of the times you dont even have to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
V-16
Nice jeep you have got.
I am no guru just 2 rants from my side. Get the roll cage done from a pro. If you want to go DIY way then use 3.9mm (4mm) seamless CR tubes. You have to find a hydraulic tube bender to bend them and a MIG welder for the welding job. It takes lot of time and hard work to get this done (ask me how i know). We have used 2mm CR tubes and the workman ship is not so good. That is the max thickness of the tube which we could bend manually. They are just adequate. Also go through some mm540 roll cage designs and decide you need a 4 point or a 6 point cage. "A" piller will leave very less space for the acc pedal.
Hope it helps.
Mohang thats exactly what i intend to do. Its not going to be a DIY as im no engineer and i will use your invaluable inputs and advice and inputs from others and get it done by a very experienced person who has a bending machine. When i do undertake the build, ill also put it up in this thread with pictures.

I would appreciate it if you could advice me if the roll cage should be welded on the chassis or the tub as i am of the school of thought that it would hamper chassis flex if welded onto the chassis,of course i may be totally off course here as i know nothing of this field. Hence would require all the help. Basically my need is that it should not hamper the soft top design which i intend to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4army View Post
Congratulations Gogi bhai !! Good looking Jeep!!
I will meet you personally very soon.

@ Harjeev Nice catch!

According to My experience ,You should go for professional workshop like Allan to do roll cage and other work so you will be happy to get all work done in one roof without any headache.

Wish you all the best for rest of the work!

Sanjay
Yes Sanjay, totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Soumya is a veteran with directions to Shunty-Bunty pick up / drop off location - Picked up my Jonga there as well.

The 550 looks great Gogi.. make a trip to Dubai before AKC/EXAMM - Its the best place for 4x4s IMHO. I just got back and got some goodies for the Jonga.. Goes without saying that you must connect with Shibu once you're there.

Let me know your plans for the roll cage. I need a simple 4 pointer as well.
Unfortunately Prasad, i cant leave for anywhere before the Examm but am in touch with Shibu. Lets hope i can get some goodies and be able to install them before the Examm. Will definitely keep you in the loop re the Roll cage through this thread and through the phone.

WIP report:

Did some hunting and probing and through the help of another very enterprising friend, avid Jeep(s) owner and lover, a great help a very on the hands guy Stieger.

Have given the Jeep for a Power steering fit. This guy is fast and has promised to give it back to me all working and fine within one, max two days. Why power steering one might ask, well with 10.5 Maxxis Big horns, i think the power steering is a must. He told me that the balance rod would have to be cancelled but i have insisted he find a via media out. In no way i want either the balance rod fitted nor do i want the power steering in any place exposed to a direct hit when off roading.

HE also informed me that this Jeep comes with an oil cooler which has for some reason been cancelled. Can someone throw some light on it. Im thinking an oil cooler is great and should be made working again.

Comments experts.

Along with it i have decided to put a new clutch plate, pressure plate, both bearings, and a new clutch cable. The ones present are working fine but i checked and i want OE. dont want any rude shocks on the trail.

Some day time pics of the Jeep.
Exterior

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011169.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011170.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011171.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011172.jpg

Interior and Engine bay

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011174.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011176.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011177.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011183.jpg
Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011185.jpg

The luscious looking but a tad "Too Heavy" 16"-er Army Rims which will be replaced by 15" Mags

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011186.jpg

The Donor for the Power Steering...notice the number!!

Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle-14062011196.jpg

Guys please help me find rims!!
Tomorrow, shopping time, Opera House, here i come!!

Last edited by V-16 : 14th June 2011 at 21:03. Reason: adding content

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks