Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 17:36   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mm550 The Capable Offroad/onroad Vehicle

Found that these rims are also available in chor Bazar, Mumbai was shocked to learn what he was quoting for a set of these brazilian rims. More than a new set of rims.
. Then I set my eyes on something that was unbelievable.............
a Willys FC, 15"X8.5J rims...couldn't believe my luck, picked them up straightaway. Am droipping them to the painters for cleaning and painting matt black. Will post pics in the evening.

BTW lugnut, appreciate your response to my post. How much is he selling these rims for?
Old 6th July 2011, 18:17   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Found that these rims are also available in chor Bazar, Mumbai was shocked to learn what he was quoting for a set of these brazilian rims. More than a new set of rims.
a Willys FC, 15"X8.5J rims...couldn't believe my luck, picked them up straightaway. Am droipping them to the painters for cleaning and painting matt black. Will post pics in the evening.

BTW lugnut, appreciate your response to my post. How much is he selling these rims for?

Hi Gogi,

FC Vans are 7.00X15 so ideal they would be 5.5JX15.

Regards,

Arka
Old 6th July 2011, 18:57   #153
Senior - BHPian

actually arka i saw willy's stamped on the rim. He said they are fc rims but maybe from willys wagon, actually who cares as long as the pcd matches and it does. I would like to know which vehicle they are from.
Old 6th July 2011, 19:11   #154
AVR
BHPian

I had FC rims before I shifted to the new Gypsy rims for the Bighorns. They are 5.5x15 size. Nevertheless, whatever works is good enough.

Just ensure they are not some fake-bad-quality stuff. Am saying that most things in the market that have Willys/Ford/Jeep written on it are usually M&M origin (Mayapuri & Moga) and hence may not work for offroading.
Old 6th July 2011, 19:51   #155
BHPian

Quote:

Gogi bhai,
~3000 a pop [+ room for bargain - they're usually trying to peddle tires and rims together]

Curious about the ones you've picked, do post some pictures please
Old 6th July 2011, 20:54   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Before I take any credit - entire Idea was given to me over a cellphone by Arka a few months ago!!!
May be the older bearings - do you still have them? Examine closely each of the bearings, if needed screwdriver' OUT the two circles to pop the rollers out and see the inner cone - all this to make sure only the bearings took the hit and not any of the gears? Did you dismantle the GB to the last tiny piece?Each and every gear - part? But dont worry, if the issue is not resolved now, your left hand will indicate the next re-build soon - ask me, 3 GB rebuilds due to shoddy mech works, now perfect.
Of course, Arka! hes an encyclopedia on Jeeps> Many a times, when he gets technical, i dont even understand what hes saying but only act knowledgeable.

Yes i dismantled every single piece, will post pics tomorrow as my camera is in my office.

These look the real deal and will find out tomorrow when i hold them close to a 8.5J rims set. They are clearly stamped Willys 81/2 J X15. Ill post pics tomorrow. You guys tell me if they are real or fake.
Old 6th July 2011, 21:03   #157
Senior - BHPian

If those rims are from Willys Jeeps / FC Vans which ran on 7.00 x 16 / 7.50 x 16 tires, I'm sure 8.5 J wheel rims will never be preferred. Was there any other model which used bigger / wider tires (having high section width?), if Yes then these rims may be genuine or else it is an aftermarket make.

For the record, 7.50 x 16 Army Apollo Bullet / Sandgrips are recommended with 5.5 F wheel rims, so 8.5 J is pretty much a distant reality.

Spike

PS- Those are Argentine wheel rims.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 22:23   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the price quoted for this Argentine wheel rims ?
Old 7th July 2011, 02:52   #159
Senior - BHPian

The robber wanted 55k with tyres and 35k for just the rims. when i was shocked, he said he would buy for 20k. Anyway thats way above what i wanted to spend. These rims are great and dont look stamped as they are very clean. I scraped the part where the stamping is with sand paper and there is no overcoat. He also said that he go them from an FC a while ago. Well there is no debate here as to from which vehicle these wheels are from (Maybe a Willy's Station Wagon or some other truck, a pick up maybe or a Wagoneer?? I have no clue) but if they are the right pcd and if my tyre guy tells me its ok to fit them, my deal is done for the Examm and Akc. Im painting them matt black for now and when the Black Rocks arrive, this will go on the CJ with tyres that replace the NDMS.

In the meanwhile gurus please tell me from which vehicle could this rim be? Im also doing my bit of research. They look like Jeep rims alright.
Old 7th July 2011, 06:56   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my deal is done for the Examm and Akc. Im painting them matt black for now and when the Black Rocks arrive, this will go on the CJ with tyres that replace the NDMS.
Abb mera Kyaa hoga Gogia?

I am and my Trepedors are in the similar wheel less situation you were in.
Atleast there was some consolation that there are others like me, now that comfort too is gone.

Those must be FC rims, my guess.

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 7th July 2011 at 06:58.
Old 8th July 2011, 08:04   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Abb mera Kyaa hoga Gogia?

I am and my Trepedors are in the similar wheel less situation you were in.
Atleast there was some consolation that there are others like me, now that comfort too is gone.

Those must be FC rims, my guess.

Regards,

Boss feel like kicking myself, wish there was an emoticon for that. Would have posted 5 of those and would have glad,y accepted an infraction also.

Well in my hurry to get the wheels and because it was raining when i got them, i noticed that they are 5.5J and not 8.5J. Well what to say, im stupid. there is an"8" mentioned just before the 51/2 J stamp which i misunderstood as 8.5 J

So ive landed myself with 15" FC wheels and have no use for them.

If anyone wants these, they can gladly relieve me of these.

Within this week i have to sort out my Rims, 15'' x 8.5J, whatever the design.
Im told ill have to have a 2" shackle lift (im told SPOA is scarier) after my tyres and rims are put. Ravi's jeep has no liftafter having the same configure. I(m also told, thats because its an NGCS. So is it true that the height of an NGCS and a non NGCS differ to that extent that one needs a lift and one does not, after similar mods on rims and tyres?
Old 12th July 2011, 18:21   #162
Senior - BHPian

Problem problem galore. The guy sent seamed pipe 4 mm thick so both specs were wrong. Till last noon 11:30 am, the temp-late with thinner pipes was ready and in position. I saw it at 12:30 pm and finayzed the design. The Jeep would have been ready by the evening or latest this morning. The Idiot, sent the pipes this morning and wrong ones too. Sent the pipes back and yelled at him. hes sending the pipes tomorrow morning and the fabricator, whos equally angry at him, has promised to give the Jeep back to me by 3. In the meanwhile im hoping to get my tyres and rims sorted out.Ive decided in the 8J Mickey Thomson replica design. Then it goes to the other end of town for a Shackle lift, hopefully with wheels fitted or we shall fit them at the Shackle shoppe. So no time to get the fog lights fixed and no time to get the Wrangler tail lights fitted and no time to get the top fitted. Also no time for to check the oil cooler. Why was it disconnected. Will let it remain like that for the time being and sort other things out by 14th so i can leave for AKC on the 15th morning from Bombay. Worse no time to test her. Hope everything is going to go fine.

The CJ on the other had is doing well and should be delivered to me tomorrow.
Old 12th July 2011, 20:49   #163
Senior - BHPian

^ Of thats why? Stick to seamless if you have laid your hands on it, shelve the project for a week and do it after the AKC/Examm. Why hurry if you have started on the right foot.
Old 12th July 2011, 21:04   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Problem problem galore. The guy sent seamed pipe 4 mm thick so both specs were wrong. Till last noon 11:30 am, the temp-late with thinner pipes was ready and in position. I saw it at 12:30 pm and finayzed the design. The Jeep would have been ready by the evening or latest this morning. The Idiot, sent the pipes this morning and wrong ones too. Sent the pipes back and yelled at him. hes sending the pipes tomorrow morning and the fabricator, whos equally angry at him, has promised to give the Jeep back to me by 3. In the meanwhile im hoping to get my tyres and rims sorted out.Ive decided in the 8J Mickey Thomson replica design. Then it goes to the other end of town for a Shackle lift, hopefully with wheels fitted or we shall fit them at the Shackle shoppe. So no time to get the fog lights fixed and no time to get the Wrangler tail lights fitted and no time to get the top fitted. Also no time for to check the oil cooler. Why was it disconnected. Will let it remain like that for the time being and sort other things out by 14th so i can leave for AKC on the 15th morning from Bombay. Worse no time to test her. Hope everything is going to go fine.

The CJ on the other had is doing well and should be delivered to me tomorrow.

What are those replicas costing you ?? That design is an evergreen.. I am told it is $200 + shipping & duties for the real deal. So if the replica is available locally - I'd say GO FOR IT

Cheers
Old 12th July 2011, 21:40   #165
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
What are those replicas costing you ?? That design is an evergreen.. I am told it is $200 + shipping & duties for the real deal. So if the replica is available locally - I'd say GO FOR IT
Cheers
Only risk attached to replicas is that they may look like Mickey Thompsons but may not take abuse too well when going offroad. That's one thing to keep in mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks