Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 00:23   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive

Looks like a Dicor version of the 4x4 has already been doing duty in the Army, since '12.

All they need is to sell me one, switching the "stretcher" with some seats and without the Olive green paint! (I wouldn't mind the Olive green either, but the law of the land wont be pleased)

I am in love with the exact way it looks otherwise, no changes required!

Sorry for the hazy picture but the thing just took off like a bird

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-img_1192.jpg

Probably the Dicor moniker can be made out here.
Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-img_1191.jpg

Last edited by 1100D : 27th July 2014 at 00:25.
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 12:34   #317
BHPian

Nice find, 1100D !

If the concerned people from TATA Motors would monitor this thread, they would understand the interest being generated for a civilian version of this army vehicle ... or for a "show and go" vehicle like the Sumo 4x4 Extreme.

Can we have a show of hands (via posts) of people seriously interested in purchasing a passenger carrying version of this Sumo 4x4 DICOR ambulance ... and the desired price point with major specs / features ?

Perhaps these posts will be seen by TATA and will generate some enthusiasm with the powers-that-be ... or perhaps we'll come to the sad conclusion that there is simply not enough interest in too many people for this vehicle.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

P.S. To get an idea of where the 4x4 version could be priced, just dropped in at the Sumo website to check on prices for current 4x2 versions of Sumo Gold BS4 ... http://tatasumo.com/tata-sumo-price-india.php ... and the ex-showroom Delhi prices range from 6.19L for a bare-bones CX version to 7.48L for the top GX version.

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 27th July 2014 at 12:46.
FourWheelDrift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 18:23   #318
BHPian

Tata Sumo Gold with 3 litre CR4 engine is sold in Nepal with 4X4 . This is revealed in the official website of Tata Motors for Nepal. I am surprised that Tata did not launch CR4 4X4 Gold in India.
koushik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 10:16   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koushik View Post
Tata Sumo Gold with 3 litre CR4 engine is sold in Nepal with 4X4 . This is revealed in the official website of Tata Motors for Nepal. I am surprised that Tata did not launch CR4 4X4 Gold in India.
The nepal tata motors side only mentions the following description:
Quote:
... Available in 4X2 and 4X4 versions, the Sumo is an ideal choice of small business operating on rough terrain..
But there is no separate information available under the technical specs of different models. I hope it is the Gold version you are referring to and not the older versions. Can you share the link?
Old 28th July 2014, 13:32   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
The nepal tata motors side only mentions the following description:
But there is no separate information available under the technical specs of different models. I hope it is the Gold version you are referring to and not the older versions. Can you share the link?
You are right. In the website the technical specifications does not throw light on to if the 4X4 version is with CR4 engine or older 2 litre engine. This is bad habit of hiding facts. As the CR4 Sumo with 4X4 will be termed as Sumo Extreme ....I am sure the 4X4 offer will be with older 2 litre engine. I suspect that Sumo 4X4 with CR4 3 lire engine is still in the development stage.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:52   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Looks like a Dicor version of the 4x4 has already been doing duty in the Army, since '12.
NICE. I had the opportunity of riding shotgun in the earlier generation TC sumo 4x4 meant for defence in Srinagar long time back.

The vehicle though looked very purposeful was grossly underpowered. It was a white coloured intelligence vehicle with civil registration but could not hide its pedigree to me at the first glance.
I vividly remember that while going up the incline to Pari Mahal the vehicle lost steam even after building a momentum. For those who have been there would agree that the incline is not much.
The driver had to shift to 4x4 low via the tacky headlamp leveler-seque switch on dash to nurse up the hill!

On the plains it had a hard time catching upto the pilot ISUZU petrol ambassador.

I hope Dicor has solved this issue. The vehicle has much potential, only if TATA could also see.....

cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 19:25   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
The vehicle though looked very purposeful was grossly underpowered.
Think I'd mentioned earlier that the retired Army Brigadier we know (20 years in J&K, etc) had said the 4x4 Sumo Ambulances were notoriously bad performers and were the weak link, holding up entire Army convoys at times.

More recently, met the driver of a civilian 4x4 Sumo (old "heater" IDI engine) doing taxi duty to Malana, in Parvati Valley (was going to post a photo but never got to it, and away from home now). The road is largely unpaved, has some quite bad inclines and ends up at something like 8,000ft, but he said it performed well, and that he didn't require 4L range unless he had ten passengers in it and was in the worst spots. I do suspect the Army version's taller 7.50x16 tyres could have been a problem - a lot heavier and effectively raise the gear ratio, unless diff ratios were also changed (?).

I'm in Mizoram at the moment, where there are some really steep grades and if their numbers / loads being carried are any indication, people seem to be doing okay with the pre-Xenon (TATA) Telcoline crewcab 4x4 pickups, which as I understand also had the old IDI engines.

But clearly, only one of the DI/CR engines would truly do the vehicle justice. You really do have to wonder why it's not here, when it's working for Nepal.

-Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Regarding parts, the 3.0L engine shares parts with the 207 Di. The rest of the vehicle will share parts with the Sumo. The only unique part about this vehicle is the chassis, which is 4x4 specific.

Hence I dont see a problem about parts.
I was thinking only of the 4x4-specific bits (axles, driveshafts, transfer case, suspension items, etc) since Sumo's with that option are so rare outside of the Army / few government departments. Likely very few if any suppliers are going to carry parts for a vehicle this rare - even ASC's would likely have to get them on order only. So are THOSE parts compatible with components of any other 4x4 in the TATA lineup (Safari would be the most common in most areas, maybe the Telcoline pickups here in Mizoram & a few other places maybe)?

Of course, if a properly appealing civilian version finally emerges, these might become common enough as to alleviate any supply issues.

-Eric

Last edited by Eddy : 20th December 2014 at 22:43. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.
Old 21st December 2014, 20:54   #323
Senior - BHPian

The most current Army ambulance 4x4 Sumo, I have been told by someone who should know, has an engine developing 120 bhp and 320 Nm of torque, it also has a 4.55:1 axle ratio. There is an effort within Tata to market a version of this vehicle to civilians. However, so far Tata management has shown no interest to do so.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 21st December 2014 at 20:58.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 02:29   #324
BHPian

Sumo can be customized to a double cabin pickup, remember the double cabin land rover defender from the movie skyfall ? It was customized too.
One question though, is the 4wd sumo available for civilians ?
Old 28th December 2014, 17:54   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsamuelk View Post
Sumo can be customized to a double cabin pickup, remember the double cabin land rover defender from the movie skyfall ? It was customized too.
One question though, is the 4wd sumo available for civilians ?
Hi drsamuelk,

I carry the impression that this person could help source a new Sumo 4x4 for civilian use, and modify it as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/roadntrack.html

https://www.facebook.com/RTAutoCatalyst

http://4x4rt.com/

I could be wrong, as my information is 2nd hand ... but I think it's worth a shot.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift

Last edited by FourWheelDrift : 28th December 2014 at 17:55.
Old 14th January 2015, 20:10   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The most current Army ambulance 4x4 Sumo, I have been told by someone who should know, has an engine developing 120 bhp and 320 Nm of torque, it also has a 4.55:1 axle ratio. There is an effort within Tata to market a version of this vehicle to civilians. However, so far Tata management has shown no interest to do so.
Has the Sumo xtreme with the 3 litre engine ,been launched yet for the civilian population.If yes how does it compare with the crde Thar and the Gurkha for offroading.
Old 14th January 2015, 20:51   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sumo 4x4 plans are shelved. Will not be launched. Best bet for Medium Wheel Base vehicle is New Scorpio S4+ 4wd. Comes with ABS and Airbags for 10.8 exshowroom. Has PS, PW, AC, and central locking. No crappy OEM music system, so you can install a decent one.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 09:24   #328
Senior - BHPian

With no concrete update on that project for a long time, it was more or less certain that any 'new' sumo 4wd will not come into reality! And also nothing concrete on a lower variant 4wd Storme yet. This is exactly one thing Mahindra always gets right, keeping a product in each type of category and price point. Sale of 4wd Scorpios are only going to RISE for sure.
Old 27th January 2015, 19:02   #329
Senior - BHPian

Behram sir is busy.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...rm-392980.aspx
Old 28th January 2015, 12:38   #330
Senior - BHPian

For a completely new platform that much timeline is probably justified. But still 2018 is a long long way to go. So nothing much to cheer about in the short term.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks