Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 16:55   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Did you see test mule spyshots of Tata Zest? I didn't.
Lets take this one up 6 months from now. As of today, lets agree to disagree
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 17:16   #272
BHPian

Even though I'm skeptical about a civilian version seeing the light of the day, I sincerely wish it would (TML - if you are listening please count my vote as well)

Apart from the 4WD & power, the only wish list is to have a better dashboard/ interior. The one's in Sumo gold/ Grande/ blah blah sucks. That would make it an awesome vehicle to look forward to. Heck, there are at least 4 in my immediate circle who would gladly plonk the money to buy one.
Old 14th February 2014, 10:31   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post

1. Tata is very much planning to bring it to the civilian market....

2. ...The engine is a 3.0L with 115 BHP, 16" wheels, manual 4WD and LSD...

No major body modifications done to keep the price tight and expect prices to be very competitive.
Surely your post brings smiles to lot many people; all the lines are very lucrative indeed. BTW, is your friend associated with TATA by any means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
....The day I see test mule spyshots, I will believe.
All your points are pretty practical and valid, though how i wish they were not true in the case of SUMO.

Quote:
...Regarding your quote on not spotting test mules, (exactly the same point which was being debated by another friend and me), would you even give a second look at an old Sumo in white? .
Excellent point.
At the end, this is definitely THE platform TATA can very conveniently utilize to churn out a winner, and the sooner they realize and execute the better.

Last edited by Kandisa : 14th February 2014 at 10:32. Reason: re-phrasing words
Old 14th February 2014, 21:10   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think same will be the case with 4WD sumo. You will never be able to get a TD.
I must be one of the very few to have test driven a civilian Sumo 4x4. But that was a very long time back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Besides this, won't want to be harrassed at every toll-tax arguing on whether I am a lifestyler or a poultry transporter.
I agree. Reason why I never got a Getaway, though it makes eminent sense.
Though a friend of mine has a Xenon. On a trip to Sikkim and back, he says he had no such problems.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th February 2014, 23:55   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
in the end you will win the argument, but just the prospect of getting into one everytime you end up inside a toll booth with people behind honking to glory and thinking wierd things about you (last of which is that you are trying to bargain at the toll-tax) is a big deterrent from buying pickup trucks in India.

No such problems with the Sumo, in comparison to the Xenon, it seems like an instant discount at each encounter.
hi 1100D,

I own a 2009 Xenon XT (its preowned).

I have driven it in Maharashtra & Karnataka. (25,000 km)

Never had any problems at toll booths.

People get quite surprised when i tell them that its a TATA.
(I dont know how they miss TATA written on tail gate & T emblem on front grill)

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 04:53   #276
Team-BHP Support

I had a chance to click the Bolero 4x4 and Sumo 4x4 side by side and attaching the image here. The underbelly of the Sumo is cleaner and higher than the Bolero. I am sure the ride quality would be better as well due to IFS. Only concern could be the reliability of the Sumo, though I have heard that the Sumo Gold is extremely reliable and the taxi owners in the hills are very happy with it. Definitely something to look forward to...

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-bolero_sumo_4x4.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 05:58   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TSK,

The Aria was a major blunder in the way they priced it and the way they didn't launch the 2WD first. Hence it never made that bang. So they are not interested in meddling with it now. Or maybe, something is happening in the background.
Even I have the same feeling. Something is happening in the background. The Aria was missing from the Auto Expo, it was like Tata telling the public, please forget the Aria

They must be thinking of so many things, shortening the wheelbase and bringing it under 4000mm and plonking a revtron in it for one

With the Innova moving higher in the price point and the Enjoy and Ertiga being smaller and at a lower price point, Tata can hit the sweet-spot by undercutting both. They have to do something revolutionary, like offering 100% finance and 5 year warranty, they should atleast be interested in recovering the costs incurred on designing and getting the Aria on the road, atleast break-even
Old 15th February 2014, 14:38   #278
Senior - BHPian

BD Sir's first love is still Thar and a great effort is required for a change of love towards a TATA vehicle for his heart.

Coming back to SUMO 4WD, TATA needs to let BD work on it rather than the MBAs sitting in AC offices and end up the ARIA way.

Taxi operators in the hills do prefer a Sumo because of the space it offers compared to the lack of space by Bolero.

BD sir has not answered by about Bolero 4WD vs Sumo 4WD, he is working on something for sure!
Old 15th February 2014, 16:41   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
BD Sir's first love is still Thar and a great effort is required for a change of love towards a TATA vehicle for his heart.
Parm,

There's a lot of difference between your first love and a happy married life. I think DB Sir's happily married now.

Just kidding, no offense meant.
Old 15th February 2014, 23:18   #280
Senior - BHPian

Sumo is still the best looking old style convention SUV, compared to Bolero, Gurkha and Force1.

I'm holding back on my investment to buy a sub 10 lakh SUV, as I have yet to see a Bolero 4WD.

Sumo is still on my list, as and when it comes to the looks and the practicality.
Old 16th February 2014, 19:45   #281
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I had a chance to click the Bolero 4x4 and Sumo 4x4 side by side and attaching the image here. The underbelly of the Sumo is cleaner and higher than the Bolero. I am sure the ride quality would be better as well due to IFS. Only concern could be the reliability of the Sumo, though I have heard that the Sumo Gold is extremely reliable and the taxi owners in the hills are very happy with it. Definitely something to look forward to...

Attachment 1208120
I have talked to many Gold taxi-wallahs in Delhi and surroundings, mostly the call-centre chaps. None have grouses, all praises. The "like" points are amazing turning radius, raw torque that thrills (bobbing the car up and down) and a king like visibility, not to forget the football field in front to estimate your boundaries exactly and hone your zig-zagging skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Even I have the same feeling. Something is happening in the background. The Aria was missing from the Auto Expo, it was like Tata telling the public, please forget the Aria

They must be thinking of so many things, shortening the wheelbase and bringing it under 4000mm and plonking a revtron in it for one

With the Innova moving higher in the price point and the Enjoy and Ertiga being smaller and at a lower price point, Tata can hit the sweet-spot by undercutting both. They have to do something revolutionary, like offering 100% finance and 5 year warranty, they should at least be interested in recovering the costs incurred on designing and getting the Aria on the road, at least break-even
Yep, TATA has something up their sleeve, like the Zest and the Bolt. Have heard from reliable sources that an Auto version of the ARIA is round the corner with the usual cosmetic changes, maybe a higher power engine as well, but not sure. The launch of these two cars + the twist is what they want to consolidate now, perhaps. The Ertiga and the Enjoy are big monocoqque cars and are no match for the frame supported ARIA in terms of load carrying. Yes, something as what you have suggested should see more ARIA's on the road.

Have also come to know of TATA increasing their service network, which should turn the trens in their favour, as it remains their weakest link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Sumo is still the best looking old style convention SUV, compared to Bolero, Gurkha and Force1.

I'm holding back on my investment to buy a sub 10 lakh SUV, as I have yet to see a Bolero 4WD.

Sumo is still on my list, as and when it comes to the looks and the practicality.
+1 to Parm on that, looks & practicality. Saw the Sumo Extreme (and clicked a couple of pics as well in the Auto Expo. Looks great with the off-roading tyres and raw looks. This is TATA's most reliable and dependable vehicle, in my opinion and has the potential to turn the tables around. Coming to think of it, why don't they plonk the 120 hp 2.2L in the Sumo's bay, use ARIA -like interiors, the Safari / Storme alloys and a few pther bells and whistles to launch a "limited" edition for enthusiats ? Although i feel the 3L 407 derived motor is one hell of a reliable workhorse !
Old 16th February 2014, 22:02   #282
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo four-wheel-driveway

Sumo needs to go on a diet and shed some weight, get a lighter and smaller engine, maybe a de-tuned safari/Storme 2.2 Ltr engine with 110-120 bhp engine with plenty of low end torque, refreshed up interiors and a 4WD with a manual transfer rather than shift on the fly!

BD sir can have my deposit on it.
Old 17th February 2014, 11:28   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I had a chance to click the Bolero 4x4 and Sumo 4x4 side by side and attaching the image here. The underbelly of the Sumo is cleaner and higher than the Bolero.

Attachment 1208120
Bolero comes with 215/75/15 tyres and Sumo ambulance comes with 7.50x16. that is the reason for sumo to be looking tall.

Shubhendra
Old 17th February 2014, 13:55   #284
Senior - BHPian

Dear Behram,

Thanks for the response in this thread !

How soon can we do .

Please do share some more details. The new Sumo 4X4 does indeed look promising as a family-friendly off-road vehicle.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2014 at 12:38. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 17th February 2014, 14:09   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heck, none of the spotters have even spotted test mules of 4WD sumo. If tata has to sell it it has to go to ARAI. Right?
I remember seeing SUMO 4WD test vehicle somewhere in between Bangalore and Hosur few months back. It was green in colour and looked more like an Army version than the one displayed in Auto Expo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks