Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 16:18   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive

Dear Parm - thanks for your wonderful initiative on MH01BB4972. Let me start by quoting Gary Hamel, one of the acclaimed Gurus of the management World. And thank you Pratheesh (aka Spike Arrestor) for sharing these priceless words with me.

Gary Hamel says:
"You must look very closely at your “Core Competence / Strategic Intent / “Industry Foresight”. Peoples' strategic vision more often than not depends on what the competition is doing. There is a clear dividing line between companies who worship the past and those who want to invent the future. It is important to think about what is not there. That done, you need a strategy to do something about it.

A “Strategic Intent”, however, is more than a strategy, it is a stretching ambition. President Kennedy's famous goal of putting a man on the moon by the end of that decade was a strategic intent, as was Canon's ambition to outflank Xerox by producing a copier ten times cheaper. Kennedy had no idea how his goal was going to be achieved, but ambitious aims like his mean that organizations have to invent whole new ways of doing things, to explore the possibilities of new technologies and to scout around for new talents and new partners. A strategic intent forces one to think beyond the present and to contemplate new worlds. It is, in some ways, the essence of leadership.

You have to ask yourself "what is unique about you"? What is valuable to your customers and what new opportunities does it open up? In other words, don't try to be better than your competitor, try to be different.

Can you dream, create, explore, invent, pioneer, imagine? Are you the voice of opportunity in your company? Are you the Champion of the Unconventional? Do you
know how to break through the hard, parched soil of ignorance and dogma to find an opportunity? Are you a revolutionary?

Impossible tasks were achieved by rethinking the old processes. The Building Industry Association in San Diego challenged two building firms to rethink the time it took to build a house. Not in the years or months that most of us are used to, but in HOURS. The winner, by a careful rethinking of all the processes and by allocating every little job to a named individual, actually built and landscaped a three-bedroom bungalow in three HOURS!

Companies need to reinvent themselves time and time again. Anyone can have one great new idea or vision, very few can keep on doing it.

It's a hard road to take. You must have both faith and courage to go the distance. Many fall by the wayside!

The formula for endless revolution has 10 essential requirements. This is how the 10 requirements go:

1. Have Unreasonable Expectations. A house can be built in 3 hours! A mobile telephone can have only one button on its face!
2. Make your business definition elastic, don't get fixated on one vision.
3. Have a cause, not a business.
4. Listen to other voices: young people, newcomers, outsiders.
5. Keep an open market for ideas, don't shut anyone up.
6. Have an open market for capital, allow people to bid for funds to support experiments.
7. Have an open market for talent, so that people are allowed to work in areas that excite them.
8. Encourage low risk experimentation.
9. The principle of cellular revolution. break the organization down into small groups so that a failed revolution won't damage the whole organization.
10. Allow personal wealth accumulation. Successful ideas should make money for the people who came up with them.

You can't quarrel with any of these ten commandments, the companies that practise many of them are the most exciting, and usually the most successful. You need a revolution to succeed in an uncertain world.

It doesn't matter whether you're a big cheese or a cubicle rat. All that matters is whether you care enough to start from where you are. Do you care enough about finding meaning and significance in the eighty per cent of your life that you devote to work; that you're ready to start a movement in your company? Do you care enough to lead a revolution?

If you do, you can.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 5th March 2013 at 16:21.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 16:30   #152
Senior - BHPian

What is MH01BB4972 ??? You guys care to explain a little bit more ?
Old 5th March 2013, 17:38   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
It doesn't matter whether you're a big cheese or a cubicle rat. All that matters is whether you care enough to start from where you are. Do you care enough about finding meaning and significance in the eighty per cent of your life that you devote to work; that you're ready to start a movement in your company? Do you care enough to lead a revolution?
Behram, I operate in the mode described by you (or Hamel). But you have left out the two most important things that matter. A free hand and a budget to do what you want to do. You had neither when you were in Mahindra. Do you have it now?
Old 5th March 2013, 19:03   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
What is MH01BB4972 ??? ...
mmmm....let me make a guess...it is a Mumbai RTO-based vehicle registration number ...sorry for the PJ !

Please check...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ilizer-21.html

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-sumogold4x4desert20rally5.jpg

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 5th March 2013 at 19:08.
Old 5th March 2013, 19:22   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Behram, I operate in the mode described by you (or Hamel). But you have left out the two most important things that matter. A free hand and a budget to do what you want to do. You had neither when you were in Mahindra. Do you have it now?
Samurai, let me have the honour to say YES on BD's behalf.

I hope my this one liner doesnt get deleted!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-20130305_091625.jpg  

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-tata-sumo-rally.jpg  

Last edited by Samurai : 5th March 2013 at 20:19. Reason: fixing the quote
Old 5th March 2013, 20:49   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

So is this Gold a 4x4 ?
Old 5th March 2013, 20:57   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So is this Gold a 4x4 ?
Sure looks so. Check out the front wheel spin in the 1st pic of Parm's earlier post.
Old 5th March 2013, 21:04   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Sure looks so. Check out the front wheel spin in the 1st pic of Parm's earlier post.
NO, that's a PS job. A decent one that !. Even the brochures of the Storme dont have such good PS effects !

Old 5th March 2013, 21:23   #159
AVR
BHPian

Not sure if Mr Behram recalls but we ran into each other at Mcube while he was following my Jeep in a 4wd Grande. He saw a GJ number plate and came along side to say hi. Is the Grande platform similar to the Sumo Gold? Would be interesting to hear about Mr Behram's initiatives at TML without any cryptic statements. At least get some idea about what to expect and not expect given that its only TML who's still holding its cards close to the chest. The only iconic shape that is pending in the Indian market lies with Tata in the form of the Defender. The Jeep and the G are already represented so is that going to be Tata's play?

In absence of anything concrete its fun speculating possibilities

Cheers,
Adi
Old 5th March 2013, 21:58   #160
Senior - BHPian

Yes, this Gold is a 4x4 and you can call it a test mule for next generation Sumo 4x4.

Defender (110 and 90) could be a big inspiration in terms of styling and inputs on the next gen Sumo 4x4 based on Aria X2.

Last edited by Parm : 5th March 2013 at 22:00.
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 22:04   #161
Senior - BHPian

so is this all about Sumo Gold 4x4 or a completely new Sumo 4x4 on Aria platform, please clear the confusion
Old 5th March 2013, 23:15   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So is this Gold a 4x4 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Yes, this Gold is a 4x4 and you can call it a test mule for next generation Sumo 4x4
Well, here is somthing to look at.

http://tatamotors.com/media/press-releases.php?id=763

The only portion I see Sumo is in the 2WD category. If there was indeed a Sumo 4wd on this event, maybe it did not finish in the top 3.

BD sir can surely shed more light on this.
Old 5th March 2013, 23:55   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Well, here is somthing to look at.

http://tatamotors.com/media/press-releases.php?id=763

The only portion I see Sumo is in the 2WD category. If there was indeed a Sumo 4wd on this event, maybe it did not finish in the top 3.

BD sir can surely shed more light on this.
fine line i picked up from the press release...

Besides the Tata Sumo Gold, Tata Motors’ UV portfolio comprises the the premium Crossover Tata Aria, the Tata Safari 4x4, the Tata Sumo 4x4, the lifestyle pick-up Tata Xenon XT.

As i said before, 4972 is the test mule for the next gen Sumo 4x4.

For elaborate information we can wait to hear from BD sir himself.
Old 6th March 2013, 09:17   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this Gold is a 4x4 and you can call it a test mule for next generation Sumo 4x4.
This car won the Xplore category in Desert Storm. So it couldn't have been a 4x4.
Old 6th March 2013, 09:27   #165
Team-BHP Support

Right now Tata Sumo Gold has no credentials as an offroad vehicle. When Thar was launched, it could lay claim to the heritage of MM550, but Sumo has no such predecessor. We have to wait and watch.

Quote:
Samurai, let me have the honour to say YES on BD's behalf.
How can you possibly answer my question? I wasn't looking for a feel good answer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks