Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 00:34   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Looong time back Lexus motors had two pieces for sale. Possibly dumped on them by TML.

I was interested, (the Safari wouldn't fit in my garage), so they brought one over for a test drive. It looked so shopsoiled and tired that other members of the family outright refused to consider it. Maybe those are still there in some forgotten corner of Lexus's stockyard!

Regards
Sutripta
That would probably be the civilian Sumo 4x4 (with smaller wheels) and if it was long back, chances are that they would have been powered by the 1948cc NA variant (I could be wrong though)
Old 5th September 2012, 06:46   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
civilian Sumo 4x4 .. chances are that they would have been powered by the 1948cc NA variant (I could be wrong though)
No, AFAIK, it was the TCIC engine.
Old 5th September 2012, 20:52   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
That would probably be the civilian Sumo 4x4 (with smaller wheels) and if it was long back, chances are that they would have been powered by the 1948cc NA variant (I could be wrong though)
TCIC.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th September 2012, 04:56   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan

I did the math. A Defender 90 would cost about 25 lakh in India based on Autralian dollar conversion of Defender 90 cost as it is in Autstalia today. They aren't going to lower their price much, if any, to sell a few in India.
Landrover won't compete with Mahindra and Tata this side of a miracle.

Handsome vehicle, the 90 be. This one's obviously a male.
I'm a die-hard fan of the Defender and I'm sure there are 1000's of others around who are madly in love with this iconic automobile too. I would personally buy one even at 25 Lakhs if it was available. Just import 200 or so and watch them fly out of the dealerships. Are you listening Tata?
Old 6th September 2012, 18:57   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post
I'm a die-hard fan of the Defender and I'm sure there are 1000's of others around who are madly in love with this iconic automobile too. I would personally buy one even at 25 Lakhs if it was available. Just import 200 or so and watch them fly out of the dealerships. Are you listening Tata?
Not many can afford a 25 lakh suv and then take it offroading. Infact what percentage of Pajero's and Fortuners do we see being taken to offroad events.

The whole intent here is to have a affordable 4X4 with decent capability. Although we already have those from Mahindra, but a competing product with matching looks would do a world of good.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 09:16   #141
BHPian

Came across this in Ad post !

http://www.adpost.com/in/vehicles/12732/

Sorry If I went OFFTOPIC !
Old 5th March 2013, 00:41   #142
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Slalom - you are correct, the "competition" is really getting heated up. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Has anyone noticed why a Sumo, Xenon and Safari team is active in the Rally circles these days?

The Sumo is actively doing the Rally scene and participating and making podium finish!

Guys, consider this a teaser and the Competition is Hotting up! (SWB SUMO 4x4)

Tata Motors launched the Tata Motors Full Throttle, as a platform for steering the company’s participation in motor sports and allied activities. The platform also helps the company, in organising and synergising all efforts and activities, [b]in the area of motor sports, including development and testing.

Tata Motors Full Throttle rallied home to victory in the 10th edition of India’s longest and one of the toughest off-roading events, the Desert Storm 2012 rally. Tata Motors took the honours with the new Tata Sumo Gold bagging first place, driven by Mr. Ganesh Moorthy and co-driver Mr. T. Nagrajan, followed by Mr. Sanjay Ram Takle and co-driver Mr. Mohd. Mustafa, winning third place in the Tata Sumo Grande. The 6-day long Desert Storm rally, often referred to as the mini Dakar rally, is the longest and amongst the most challenging rallies in India. Flagged off from Ahmedabad, on 20th February, 2012, the rallyspanned a grueling 3500 km through the Rann of Kutch, Bhuj, interiors of Rajasthan through Barmer, Jaiselmer, Pokhran, Thar, Bikaner and Jaipur, before reaching Delhi. Besides the Tata Sumo Gold, Tata Motors’ UV portfolio comprises the the premium Crossover Tata Aria, the Tata Safari 4x4, the Tata Sumo 4x4, the lifestyle pick-up Tata Xenon XT.

Tata Motors had earlier participated in several international rallies such as the London – Capetown rally (1998), ASEAN rally (2004) and the SAARC rally (2007), with the Tata Safari. In the past, independent participants have also driven the Tata Safari and the Tata Xenon XT (a 4x4 lifestyle pickup), in various rallies.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-tata-sumo-rally.jpg  

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-desert20rally1.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 5th March 2013 at 00:50.
Old 5th March 2013, 08:34   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Dear Parm - thanks. "That Sumo" is MH01BB4972! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 5th March 2013, 08:46   #144
Senior - BHPian

And now that BD sir is addressing it with the number, its gonna be super special, its gonna be super fast and capable and its never gonna see the production lines coz the CMVR is going to get its nose in everything. Oh well. I just hope something good looking and powerful comes out. And hoping it comes out in the next couple of months. I think these 2 years I have had to ponder over things are enough now.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:01   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Parm - thanks. "That Sumo" is MH01BB4972! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you, i did not rest after "we" discussed the 8th photo wonder, i went searching from italy to argentina to go into the history of ancestors of 4972.

I did find valuable information and it did help me zero on 4972, as it was coming up in almost every search and digging.

Here are few more photos.

MODS COULD WE HAVE A DEDICATED THREAD FOR SUMO 4972, where we can discuss its development further.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-desert20rally5.jpg  

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-75_dc070919002_1.jpg  

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-75_kodak_187_1.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 5th March 2013 at 10:03.
Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 10:14   #146
BHPian

Great work @Parm
"MH01BB4972" ,sounds promising and intretsing just like the "MH01V521" .
Things are getting hot , the upcoming 2013 Thar , the Ghurka etc .
Old 5th March 2013, 11:15   #147
Senior - BHPian

Sumo (Next Generation) is expected to be based on Aria X2 platform and could get inputs/help from LAND ROVER (Defender 110/90).

Well if Tata OWNS LR, why not use its expertise in the TATA SUV catagory atleast.

Here is another print advert of 4972.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-20130305_091625.jpg  

Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 11:27   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
MODS COULD WE HAVE A DEDICATED THREAD FOR SUMO 4972, ..
I guess the Sumo related posts could be moved to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-drive-10.html.

If this sees the light of the day, it will sure be a good tourer+offroader combo. Only problem it will face is the image - Sumo has become almost synonymous with taxi. Or will it be a new shell and only the mechanicals are being tested under the Sumo skin?
Old 5th March 2013, 14:39   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I guess the Sumo related posts could be moved to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-drive-10.html.

If this sees the light of the day, it will sure be a good tourer+offroader combo. Only problem it will face is the image - Sumo has become almost synonymous with taxi. it will be a new shell and only the mechanicals are being tested under the Sumo skin?
There is your answer in BOLD of your post.

Thanks for the Sumo 4x4 thread update, we will move the discussion to that thread now.

MODS please move the posts related to Sumo 4x4 from this thread to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-drive-10.html

Last edited by Parm : 5th March 2013 at 15:05.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:21   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Anirban / Chandras - your answer is correct. Can you now build your comments around this dimension? By the way, Sumo 4WD wheelbase is 2435 mm.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
BD sir, lets continue our discusion regarding 4972 in this thread as its relevant to the topic and we will get plenty of hands with their inputs and comments in this thread.

I have asked MODS to move the 4972 posts from the Thar thread to this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks