Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2014, 20:17   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
There is a difference from the Army 4x4 Ambulance and its more than skin deep, if you note the front wheel center, you would not fiind the protruding hubs.
I didn't say it is the Army ambulance, I said it is BASED on the army ambulance. There are changes to the axles etc. I am not guessing on this, I know for sure. But you don't have to take my word on it, you can keep guessing...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 20:23   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I didn't say it is the Army ambulance, I said it is BASED on the army ambulance. There are changes to the axles etc. I am not guessing on this, I know for sure. But you don't have to take my word on it, you can keep guessing...
I did not say you are wrong, just built on what you said, to highlight the point that there has been some mechanical work on the Army 4x4 Ambulance and not just a paint job on an existing vehicle.

Even I know for sure, not guessing! But lets keep the tempo on in this thread. This car can actually do wonders to the Sub-10 lakh SUV that many of us are looking forward to.
Old 8th February 2014, 20:25   #243
Senior - BHPian

Everyone here seems to know, but prefers to talk in riddles - something's definitely cooking. Tini you're normally not so circumspect.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 20:36   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Everyone here seems to know, but prefers to talk in riddles - something's definitely cooking. Tini you're normally not so circumspect.
It is 90% ambulance Sumo Ambulance 4x4 with 3.0 DICOR engine. This is purely one off prototype and there is no firm plans to develop this. With Tata's loss of karl, I guess they will go back to becoming a public sector company and I doubt this will go into production.
Old 9th February 2014, 09:35   #245
Senior - BHPian

This Sumo, the photos below, was showcased in 2012 defence expo. I believe a similar 2014 defence expo is going along the Auto expo, but in pragati maidan in delhi.

I hope to get more photos if any new version of Sumo is on display.

But yes, Tata is putting in some DNA of LR Defender on the Sumo and it will reflect in the near future on the Sumo 4WD.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-tatalightarmouredvehiclefrontstatic_640x480.jpg  

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-tatamotorsdefencevehiclelightarmouredvehicle_560x420.jpg  

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-800pxtata_sumo.jpg  

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-800pxtata_sumo_1.jpg  

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-75_dc070919002_1.jpg  

Tata Sumo four-wheel-drive-75_kodak_187_1.jpg  

Old 9th February 2014, 11:29   #246
Senior - BHPian

But why is Tata trying to do all this on the Sumo, rather than present it as a new vehicle/brand?
Old 9th February 2014, 13:56   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
If the Sumo is indeed launched with a hard top and a 4WD it will head the same way down as it happened with the new Gurkha models. For a 8 lakh budget, people will stick to the Ecosport and other compact SUVs that will be launched now.
You think the new Gurkha is not selling because it has a hard top and 4wd? Have you tried getting a TD of a Gurkha? For the last 4 months I've been calling the Force Motors dealer in Delhi, who tells me "We don't have the Gurkha in stock sir. It will come next month". If a marque can't offer me a TD of a car before selling, what chance does one have of getting sales support after purchase? Besides, the Gurkha is BS3, and all the rumors of the company plonking in a BS4 engine soon are, in my opinion, pure BS.

Believe me, there are plenty of enthusiasts waiting for a sub 10L SUV with genuine off-road ability. Basic creature comforts will do, but the thing has to have 4wd. And this is exactly where the Sumo 4wd, if launched, will take the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwarior View Post
Time to start saving up?
My question exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
But why is Tata trying to do all this on the Sumo, rather than present it as a new vehicle/brand?
Why not stick to a proven platform than invest in R&D and drive up costs?

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 9th February 2014 at 14:01.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 14:45   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
You think the new Gurkha is not selling because it has a hard top and 4wd? Have you tried getting a TD of a Gurkha? For the last 4 months I've been calling the Force Motors dealer in Delhi, who tells me "We don't have the Gurkha in stock sir. It will come next month". If a marque can't offer me a TD of a car before selling, what chance does one have of getting sales support after purchase? Besides, the Gurkha is BS3, and all the rumors of the company plonking in a BS4 engine soon are, in my opinion, pure BS.
I think same will be the case with 4WD sumo. You will never be able to get a TD. Somehow, they forgot to teach the sales guys in their school that people love TDing stuff they wanna buy.
Old 10th February 2014, 11:54   #249
Senior - BHPian

Tech Specs of Sumo Extreme:

- Engine 2956cc CR4 engine
- Max Power 85PS @ 3000rpm
- Max Torque 250Nm @ 1000-2000rpm
- Gear Box G-76-5/4.1 with overdrive
- Axle Rear Powered Axle
- Wheel Base - 2425mm
- Vehicle Dimension LXWXH – 4258 x 1700 x 1925
- GVW 2600 kgs
- Kerb Weight 1820 kgs
- Payload 780 kgs
- Brakes Front – disc & Rear – drum
- Clutch 260mm diameter High performance
- Tyres R15
- Steering Power assisted
- Suspension Front – double wishbone type with coil springs & anti roll bar;
- Rear – parabolic leaf spring
- Fuel Tank Capacity 65 liters
Old 10th February 2014, 12:47   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Tech Specs of Sumo Extreme:
Does it matter much..? Tata is not going to sell this to civilians. You cannot buy Sumo 4x4
They just create these for Auto expo and forget about it.
If they were serious they would put pricing info etc., and try and get market response.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 13:38   #251
Senior - BHPian

Atleast, they can start by seeing the kind of response they are getting in this thread. Unfortunately, they are more inclined to see the Grande platform (with a new name MOVUS) succeed, rather than take this workhorse, that still gives them the numbers, a notch higher up the desirability ladder, that it so rightfully deserves.
Old 10th February 2014, 14:10   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Believe me, there are plenty of enthusiasts waiting for a sub 10L SUV with genuine off-road ability. Basic creature comforts will do, but the thing has to have 4wd. And this is exactly where the Sumo 4wd, if launched, will take the market.
One of the very important reason for the low sales of the Gurkha model is that it does not look desirable to the buyer with all that tacky plastic cladding and the hideous front grill. Just making a vehicle for a hardcore 4x4 enthusiast in India is not a very good business sense as they should be targeting a larger slice of the so called wannabes too who want a jeep like vehicle (Thar) even though they will hardly go off-road in it. This will result in larger sales thus justifying more focus on this niche vehicle segment.

You are right in saying that there is a void of a true blue offroader in the sub 10L segment, but a good design never hurts and is always a sales strength in an emotional purchases like a car. In this case, the Sumo 4x4 when launched will get its share of the 4x4 enthusiast purchases but will miss out on a larger market share which the Thar currently appeals to.
Old 10th February 2014, 14:39   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Does it matter much..? Tata is not going to sell this to civilians. You cannot buy Sumo 4x4
They just create these for Auto expo and forget about it.
If they were serious they would put pricing info etc., and try and get market response.
KHT Motors in Bangalore had a 4x4 Sumo displayed when I went last year. I'm sure they won't waste showroom space if its not for sale to civilians.
Old 10th February 2014, 16:31   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the very important reason for the low sales of the Gurkha model is that it does not look desirable to the buyer with all that tacky plastic cladding and the hideous front grill. .
The Thar doesn't score highly in this area too, its Jeep-like tub, is not a replica of any true Jeep. Plastic quality in Thar is no great shakes either. On the otherhand, barring the new ridiculous front grille (which can easily be retro fitted back) everything else in the Gurkha looks pretty macho. In my eyes I find the Gurkha packing a lot of visual appeal than the Thar.

Quote:
Just making a vehicle for a hardcore 4x4 enthusiast in India is not a very good business sense as they should be targeting a larger slice of the so called wannabes too .
Wannabe's usually follow trends/directions from the hardcorers. Once harcore folks do something, the wannabe's atleast try to make the same procurement.

But here the problem is, the Hard-core folks or wannabe alike, Force motors wants to retain every Gurkha they create to themselves and do not even educate their dealers about the existence of this product, should they end up depleting their collection, of their own masterpieces, by one invaluable piece sold to the outside field.
Old 10th February 2014, 17:03   #255
Senior - BHPian

Tata Has launched 4x4 XENON at 7.64 Lacs so that can be considered an alternative to Sumo 4X4

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks