Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2011, 11:22   #46
BHPian

Re: JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
On the same lines as gthang mentioned above, I also wonder why we don't see such works of art in Bangalore.

I know we have a substantial number of enthusiasts in Bangalore, but not Jeeps that look the way they are seen in the pictures on this thread.

Don't we have people in Bangalore who can restore to the standards that we see in this photographs?

I am on the verge of getting myself a Jeep, but I will not have the time to travel to Hyderabad to see the progress of restoration, and after seeing these Jeeps I have just raised the bar for myself

Hey Franky, do you know any restorer/designer who can do this kind of work in Bangalore?
Kairalee , to Restore such work of arts , only enthusiasm is not enough , nor will a virtual guru be of any use. From what i have observed in HYD, people are into JEEPS from the last 30 to 50 years and know the JEEPS in and out , same goes with the body workers and mechanics . There is a JEEP cult here .

On why you dont see such works of art in Bangalore , our friends here should be able to explain better

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Frankenstein,

Thanks for putting up these pictures. After the horrendous M&M (Mayapuri & Moga) concoctions I have been seeing around in Ahmedabad lately, this thread has been such a relief. It really makes me look forward to visiting Hyderabad some day! Looking forward to some more Jeeps being featured here.

Few questions here:
1) Is Hyd largely about Jeeps only or do you guys have any exquisitely restored Landys also?
2) Have you run into a Kaiser with the 6-cyl Dauntless engine? Have unfortunately not seen one yet and would love to know more.

Cheers,
Adi
You are welcome AVR, lots of JEEPS coming up.Mostly its the JEEP thing, but there are a few landys , but i dont know the owners. Maybe Fazal can pour in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
Frankenstein bhai

What can I say! I am stomped beyond words!

Got my dad hooked to this thread today morning! He's still reeling from the attention to detail and originality of the parts.

Now my dad has been bitten by the 'acquire and restore' bug.

In his own words - 'Apan bhi aisa ek aad Jeep dhoondke original banayenge re'
('Even we should find an old Jeep and restore it to such prisitne condition')

Keep posting more for our drooling eyes!
Dont take the headache , just buy a restored JEEP and have fun like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Thanks for sharing the snaps of Willys MB Frankenstein! Always loved the Willys MB for the simple yet bold design and the stance! My next favourite is the CJ3b and then comes the MM540. Just cant get enough of these beasts! I want one desperately!!! But...
Hi superslick , I too love the MB for which i was ridiculed by some jokers who have not even sat in a MB let alone drive one in pristine condition.

MB is a torque monster , the engine note is addictive , Now days i am liking the M38A1 too.
Attached Thumbnails
JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3699.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3700.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3701.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3702.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3703.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3704.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3705.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3706.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3708.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_3716.jpg  

Frankenstein is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 14:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post

Replacement clear lens head lamps , parking lamps.
LED Tail lights and guards.
Steering wheel , Meters etc
Checkered sheet
Leaf springs
Body and suspension bushes.
Shocks and steering damper
Fender flares
Grab handles
Wiring
Winch
Fog lights
Side view mirrors.
Rear door
Wiper blades and arm
Carter YF carb
Oil filter
Radiator
Starter and other AUTOLITE logos
Snorkel head
Indicator assemble
Switches
Sirens
Jerry cans
Axe and shovels
Brand new FORD,willys MB,CJ2A JEEPS too.
In case of the M38 AND M38A1 we even get water proof wiring and delco , coil which alone cost 1.5 L.
And lots more which i cannot recollect .
Hi Franky,

Very well maintained JEEPs.

I went through the list but didn't spot any "performance parts" they are all JEEP restoration parts.

Regards,

Arka
Old 4th June 2011, 16:39   #48
BHPian

Frankenstein, looking at these snaps and the way all the Jeeps have been maintained so immaculately, do the owners take them out for 'extreme' offroading? Do you have snaps of these Jeeps 'In Action' as well? Would be glad of you can include them too!
Old 4th June 2011, 18:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Sandeep,
What a beauty, what a beauty this Willys. Makes me realise how many Jeeps here in Hyderabad I have not seen in person.
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 22:06   #50
BHPian

Absolutely beautiful jeeps. Would love to see them in flesh. Any chance of a JEEP Get together? How much I wish to be able to have one such minutely detailed JEEP.

Thank You very much for showing us these master pieces.

MaSh
Old 4th June 2011, 23:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
This is a new club we have opened in Hyderabad , vehicles of members and our team will be showcased in this thread.

The 1st vehicle is a MM550 with

2" shackle lift
OME shocks
31" Maxxis big horns
Custom matt finish paint job
Hand made M38AI grill
Handmade M38A1 dash board
Stock XD3P ENGINE .

Owner : Abinav REDDY
nicejeep, what about the steel rims, why the springs are covered,is the lifted shacles are fabricated.
Old 5th June 2011, 13:01   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On why you dont see such works of art in Bangalore , our friends here should be able to explain better
Well its fairly simple actually, BLR boys are generally lazy. They dont have the time energy or most importantly money $$$ to spend on making show room condition vehicles. They like to make capable offroaders, which will help them drive up the hill without straining too much (laziness)

Then screw it up big time and go back to the garage. You cant expect the poor mechanic to redo the job once such high levels of cosmetics are done. Mechanical job they will agree to do atleast with some grumbling, coz its a jeep thing.

On a serious note i feel this kind of restoration will not be suitable for a serious offroader. This is for serious collectors who like to keep their jeep in pristine and shining condition all the while. Maybe i will also get DwArF to such specs, but only once i have another full time/primary offroader added into the garage.

EDIT: Another serious thought, i would be more at ease taking my brand new gypsy or jimny into a difficult trail than a completely restored DwArF. Why? A gypsy or jimny, i can send to an MASS and get it repaired under a week, DwArF i will have to go through torturous months to bring it back. Thanks to non availability of even simple parts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th June 2011 at 13:08.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 18:12   #53
BHPian

Awesome awesome jeeps guys!

Makes my mouth water!

I cant wait to see the Charminar club at the AKC.

I would love to see these beautiful jeeps put through their paces!
Old 5th June 2011, 22:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Franky,

Very well maintained JEEPs.

I went through the list but didn't spot any "performance parts" they are all JEEP restoration parts.

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka , i have not mentioned anywhere that we get down performance parts, do we JEEPers really need performance parts to perform ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Frankenstein, looking at these snaps and the way all the Jeeps have been maintained so immaculately, do the owners take them out for 'extreme' offroading? Do you have snaps of these Jeeps 'In Action' as well? Would be glad of you can include them too!
We have been offroad many times in these JEEPS , but i dont have snaps of the same, you will see some of them in this years AKC,EXAMM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Absolutely beautiful jeeps. Would love to see them in flesh. Any chance of a JEEP Get together? How much I wish to be able to have one such minutely detailed JEEP.

Thank You very much for showing us these master pieces.

MaSh
Dude pm your number , ill show them to you in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshm View Post
nicejeep, what about the steel rims, why the springs are covered,is the lifted shacles are fabricated.
What about the steel rims?? they are 2 piece rims worginal . WW2 JEEPS are way more advanced than we think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Well its fairly simple actually, BLR boys are generally lazy. They dont have the time energy or most importantly money $$$ to spend on making show room condition vehicles. They like to make capable offroaders, which will help them drive up the hill without straining too much (laziness)

Then screw it up big time and go back to the garage. You cant expect the poor mechanic to redo the job once such high levels of cosmetics are done. Mechanical job they will agree to do atleast with some grumbling, coz its a jeep thing.

On a serious note i feel this kind of restoration will not be suitable for a serious offroader. This is for serious collectors who like to keep their jeep in pristine and shining condition all the while. Maybe i will also get DwArF to such specs, but only once i have another full time/primary offroader added into the garage.

EDIT: Another serious thought, i would be more at ease taking my brand new gypsy or jimny into a difficult trail than a completely restored DwArF. Why? A gypsy or jimny, i can send to an MASS and get it repaired under a week, DwArF i will have to go through torturous months to bring it back. Thanks to non availability of even simple parts.
IIRC Jaggu you spent 3 months for a 3 day JOB . What did you break in the Dwarf while offroading?

I have done 10 to 15 OTRS in my 3B and still nothing went wrong . Its a JEEP thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Awesome awesome jeeps guys!

Makes my mouth water!

I cant wait to see the Charminar club at the AKC.

I would love to see these beautiful jeeps put through their paces!
Thanks Motocamp , around 10 JEEPS and a souped up THAR are coming .

The other day i was looking at last years AKC pics and noticed Alfakilo s Jeep , very very useful mods done , right from the roll cage to the snorkel to the switches on the top , Guess he was way ahead of us back then .

This is a CJ3B with
Isuzu 4FG1 engine
Isuzu 5 speed tranny
7.00X16 6PLY NDMS TYRES
4.27 crown pinion and moves like a rocket .
Attached Thumbnails
JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_4129.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_4130.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_4131.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_4132.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_4133.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_4134.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_4135.jpg  

JEEPS of the Charminar offroad club-img_4137.jpg  

Last edited by Frankenstein : 5th June 2011 at 23:01.
Frankenstein is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 23:03   #55
BHPian

Franky,
The last jeep has the steering wheel color coded as the rest of the jeep- looks awesome. I assume its painted. Does a painted steering wheel not cause grip slippage when off roading?
regards
salil
Old 5th June 2011, 23:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

the wipers are from LHD cj3b .

or is it LHD converted in to RHD?

also the prop shaft is in horizontal position.

any issues of axle touching the engine sump in articulation?

in any case the vehicles are awesome.

Last edited by jeepster : 5th June 2011 at 23:45.
Old 6th June 2011, 00:27   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein

IIRC Jaggu you spent 3 months for a 3 day JOB . What did you break in the Dwarf while offroading?

I have done 10 to 15 OTRS in my 3B and still nothing went wrong . Its a JEEP thing.
1) it's not about what my jeep does. It's what OTR's am part of. My jeep with my limited budget is a totally different ball game. Till date I have survived all OTR's but down the line attended to the aftermath.

2) 10-15 OTR's well I for one does not count Sarjapur lake pits a real outing. A real outing for me is a drive from BLR to Pune, Kerala or for that matter Chennai. Few days of OTR and drive back in same shape. Have you done these? I have seen only DKG who did that.

3) Avalokonda you were cursing that water crossing and pushing other places on 7" of NDMS, same obstacles my khatara 3B did without a fuss with 3 cylinders, messed up GB and still kept running without a fuss for another 3 months. So the point is not that. On the contrary you completely missed the point.

Last I heard from you, your 3B had messed up oil spewing engine which needed a garage to get attended in BLR. Well my semi-restored 3B engine is still going on. Touch wood.

It's 100% a jeep thing.
Old 6th June 2011, 01:08   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1) it's not about what my jeep does. It's what OTR's am part of. My jeep with my limited budget is a totally different ball game. Till date I have survived all OTR's but down the line attended to the aftermath.

2) 10-15 OTR's well I for one does not count Sarjapur lake pits a real outing. A real outing for me is a drive from BLR to Pune, Kerala or for that matter Chennai. Few days of OTR and drive back in same shape. Have you done these? I have seen only DKG who did that.

3) Avalokonda you were cursing that water crossing and pushing other places on 7" of NDMS, same obstacles my khatara 3B did without a fuss with 3 cylinders, messed up GB and still kept running without a fuss for another 3 months. So the point is not that. On the contrary you completely missed the point.

Last I heard from you, your 3B had messed up oil spewing engine which needed a garage to get attended in BLR. Well my semi-restored 3B engine is still going on. Touch wood.

It's 100% a jeep thing.
1) Jaggu Aftermath i guess is not limited to only JEEPS right? I just wanted to know what generally breaks in OTRs as mentioned by you .

2)I have done many long distance personal OTRs which are not recorded on the forum and i managed to come back in the same shape , even from Aavalakonda too

3)Can you please post pics of where i was pushing with my 7.5" of NDMS ?

IIRC you have mentioned in the recce thread that NDMS will not do the trail , so how did everyone with those tyres manage??

Yes i was cursing water since i dont like water crossings, whats wrong with that?IIRC i have not seen your JEEP in action hence cannot comment.So did you do Bombay, Chennai and Dubai with your 3 cylinders ??

Yes i did mention to you about the oil thing, but didnt i mention the cause , it had nothing to do with OTR stress but a faulty mahindra radiator due to which the JEEP overheated several times ONROAD .
Yes i do also remember you saying the mechanics were inefficient and to avoid them .

Hope to see you in AKC with your Dwarf .

Regards
Sandeep

Last edited by Frankenstein : 6th June 2011 at 01:09.
Old 6th June 2011, 01:20   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Jaggu Aftermath i guess is not limited to only JEEPS right? I just wanted to know what generally breaks in OTRs as mentioned by you .
Very straight point, older jeeps breakdown more than modern gypsies.

Quote:
2)I have done many long distance personal OTRs which are not recorded on the forum and i managed to come back in the same shape , even from Aavalakonda too
Well same here not everything is documented out here so dont think what you or me do is the ultimate, for all that matters we might be just beginners.

Quote:
3)Can you please post pics of where i was pushing with my 7.5" of NDMS

IIRC you have mentioned in the recce thread that NDMS will not do the trail , so how did everyone with those tyres manage??
I never said they will not ever do it, i just said it will tough for NDMS and you dont need photos for that. We all were witness to what happened out there. Atleast its very clear and vivid in my mind. And please dont compare what a recce team goes through with the actual public event. Always respect them he he he

Difference with a modern tyre was everyone to try out and those who have tried out are humble enough to accept it and move on. Wonder why you looking for 31 or was it 35" tyres?

Quote:
Yes i was cursing water since i dont like water crossings, whats wrong with that?IIRC i have not seen your JEEP in action hence cannot comment.So did you do Bombay, Chennai and Dubai with your 3 cylinders ??
A shiekh wanted to, to DXB. But all i have done is at the most to Dabgali in the outskirts of BLR which would be max 250 kms in all. I never claimed i do that, did i? When i do it i will post pictures not to worry.

Quote:
Yes i did mention to you about the oil thing, but didnt i mention the cause , it had nothing to do with OTR stress but a faulty mahindra radiator due to which the JEEP overheated several times ONROAD .
Yes i do also remember you saying the mechanics were inefficient and to avoid them .
Well that is the jeep thing right. Does Not matter even if one has a master restorer and couple of lakhs or multiples of it, Murphy takes over.

EDIT: Reason why i avoided referring was an entirely different jeep thing, a ring job is something i can do for you free if you get the rings tools and some gaskets and stuff.

Quote:
Hope to see you in AKC with your Dwarf .
Which year?

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th June 2011 at 01:32.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:14   #60
Team-BHP Support

Ok let me just end this up and down chit chat from my side, by sharing my thoughts on this jeep thing.

There is a huge difference in the jeep culture of BLR and Hyderabad. Hyderabad has a long history thanks to the nawabs i guess, and they are more into keeping their jeep stock and in pristine conditions. Even now that culture prevails, and thanks to many knowledgeable shops who are good at this 100% restoration jobs.

On the other hand BLR never had this fanatic approach to jeep rebuilds, there are guys who are into vintage cars but not many into jeeps. Then again a very few who do follow such passion on jeeps also, but i dont think they are anywhere on this forum.

Now the BLR jeepers are more into offroading, most of them started off in the last few decades. They buy a junk or an army auction one and build it for offroad circuits. There priority is 101% towards offroad capability. They care a hoot about woriginal this and that, only absolute essentials are retained most of the time. There are couple of very knowledgeable guys and very competent guys at that, garage wise. But just like the jeeps these guys also have some quirky nature to themselves. Parts are hard to find for vintages, though 540 and 550 era are easily available. So all in all its difficult for a BLR jeeper to get 100% restorations like a Hyderabad jeeper does.

So does that mean either of them are inferior? No way! I respect Hyd jeepers for their superb restoration jobs, i know that couple of them cost more than a modern luxury car in cost. Its their jeep thing. On the other hand BLR guys (atleast most of them) are more into adventure, wanting to push vehicles to their extremes. Trying out different permutation/combinations to up the performance. Some great success, some great failures. They also land up spending couple of lakhs but definitely nowhere close to what the money spend in hyderabad.

Last line, both the ideology's/groups exist in BLR and Hyd only the ratio might differ.

Signing off.

Jaggu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks