Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 18:15   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Fortuner / Pajero versus Used '08 Montero. Which would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
However, if its the same engine, the ride is as good, the handling is better, it does as well or better off road, and I can buy one today, thats the vehicle for me.

please do share what you guys know about this vehicle

thanks!
Pre-facelift is definitely not the same engine. IIRC it is not even a CRDI engine, but was supposed to be quicker then the facelifted version.
Quote:
another question. If I buy a car in bangalore or bombay and want to get it registered in my home town up north, whats the procedure? doable? or too much of a nuisance?
Getting a NOC can be a nightmare. Avoidable.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:39   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. A new 200PS Montero Automatic. this was both much better than the above but also not that different. The big difference was in the steering. it spins very sweetly and has a smooth light well oiled feel that has become the norm for modern vehicles.
Dear Harbir

Where you test drive the car - I am unable find this with dealers in Delhi & Chandigarh ?

Quote:
if its the same engine, the ride is as good, the handling is better, it does as well or better off road, and I can buy one today, thats the vehicle for me.
nope - the engine old ones should be different most likely 3200 or even 3000 DI - yes the older ones were without CRDI to best of my knowledge. These were eventually replaced with 3,2 CRDI and again upgraded in recent past.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th August 2011 at 18:42.
Old 11th August 2011, 19:03   #138
BANNED

Quote:
well, the two monteros I am looking at in the south, I spoke to the dealers selling them this morning, and have now emailed them asking about the NOC.

so whats the deal with the road tax? lets say I buy the car in Bangalore and get the NOC and now I got to the registeration office in chandigarh. THey will want road tax? how will they determine it? based on the price I paid? based on the vehicle's price when new? or is based on the difference in taxation rate between old and new state (say old state was 4%, new state is 5%, so the new state will want the 1% difference)?

I am sorry, I have never bought or registered any vehicle in India ever so I don't understand much.
The new state will require full road tax to be payed based on the invoice amount.But i am not sure about the depreciation.
Once car is registered in new state road tax will be refunded from old RTO if suitable documents are submitted,the value is based on depreciated amount.

For buying car from another state one will need RTO NOC, Bank NOC if there is loan etc.
But RTO NOC have some validity period so one will have to register in the new state and apply for tax refund from old rto before the validity is over.
Tax refund can take some months that's what i heard.
Old 11th August 2011, 19:12   #139
BHPian

Dear Turbanator,

I am not surprised you couldn't find the vehicle. It was to be delivered the next day. I hope you understand if I don't tell you which dealer it is because I don't want to cause trouble for them in case somebody asks why how they allowed a test drive in a vehicle that was to be delivered the next day.

Quote:
the engine old ones should be different most likely 3200 or even 3000 DI - yes the older ones were without CRDI to best of my knowledge. These were eventually replaced with 3,2 CRDI and again upgraded in recent past.
interesting. wikipedia lists that the prefacelift model got 3 different 4 cyl diesels (apart from petrols and a V6 diesel), which were the 2.L litre 4D56, the 2.8L 4M40, and the 3.2L 4M41. the 4th generation also got the 4M41 in both 175ps and now the 200PS versions.

so if the indian market pre facelift Montero did not get the 3.2L 4M41, it must have had the 2.8L 4M40. then the question is whether it was 125 or 140PS.

also the question then becomes whether it was quicker than the 2008 model despite being down on power. and the 165 PS engine is pretty rattly for a common rail diesel, for example in comparison with the the fortuner's engine. if the pre facelift model has the 2.8L, it must be even more rattly and even more noisy and thus even less refined.

interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
The new state will require full road tax to be payed based on the invoice amount.But i am not sure about the depreciation.
Once car is registered in new state road tax will be refunded from old RTO if suitable documents are submitted,the value is based on depreciated amount.

For buying car from another state one will need RTO NOC, Bank NOC if there is loan etc.
But RTO NOC have some validity period so one will have to register in the new state and apply for tax refund from old rto before the validity is over.
Tax refund can take some months that's what i heard.
Got it. so I need to find out what the local vehicle registration norms are for road tax on second hand vehicles.

thank you

Last edited by Harbir : 11th August 2011 at 19:16.
Old 11th August 2011, 19:15   #140
BHPian

please delete. I keep making this mistake. sorry! I will learn!
Old 11th August 2011, 19:16   #141
BHPian

Quote:
well, the
availability of NOC, and service history? Anything I need to check about insurance? anything else?

Ideally the vehicle should be running a No Claim Discount in it's insurance policy, which essentially means there has been no accident involving the vehicle for which an insurance claim has been filed.

Best place to start from is TBhp guidelines on buying pre-owned vehicles. I am sorry I was unable to find the link to the article. Perhaps one of the mods or one of the members can kindly oblige and post the link to the article on safeguards while buying used vehicles.

Edit: Here is the link to an article that is quite comprehensive. Makes a good starting point. After this ask the experienced members on the practicalities and hidden pitfalls.

Last edited by RS_DEL : 11th August 2011 at 19:22.
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 19:24   #142
BHPian

I swear at the point I am starting to wonder if we shouldn't just buy a new pajero and call it quits. NOCs, road taxes, insurance no claims, specifications of '07s, and now I realized that if its a different engine and a different interior AND used, I can't presume that what I loved about the '08 monteros would apply to the '07s so should I even bother spending Rs20,000 making a trip to bangalore and bombay to assess the condition of these vehicles when I don't even know if I would like the '07 enough to make it worth buying a used car and all its attendant hassles worth it over and above a new pajero.

its all starting to look iffy. I am wondering if I should go back to my plan of looking only at local cars and buying a pajero if nothing turns up in a few weeks
Old 11th August 2011, 19:30   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was to be delivered the next day.
so they have not improved , i think i should avoid these mitsu guys

i was so pissed off with there gurgaon dealer ( who was ultimately removed ) he gave fake brakes , timing belts , filters

maybe it was 2,8 - i don't recollect completely but yes it was pretty noisy infact the CRDI one before recent update is also very noisy .

why do you want to get in this NOC transfer hassles - sure we will get a new thread by your experience in getting this transferred but you will ripped off at every stage by brokers / authorities - unless you want to taste this experience better avoid .

BTW if interiors of Pajero are concern why don't you think to get these renovated a bit - you will be able to do this in less than a Lac or so , ofcourse you will have to compromise on low speed vibrations on Pajero due to ladder on frame setup & older engine .

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th August 2011 at 19:35.
Old 11th August 2011, 19:34   #144
BHPian

i shouldn't be so harsh on this dealer. I begged and beseeched for a test drive for 2 weeks and they told me over and over "no TD vehicle available" until they finally broke down and said "ok, you can have a short drive". I was very careful and drove less than 2km.

On the interior revamp, actually come to think of it, why couldn't I do this with the manual montero that I did like? get the interior renovated a bit, and get the exterior cosmetic problems fixed and it could work out.

let me contact that seller again (though he's very touchy and emotional)
Old 11th August 2011, 19:41   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its all starting to look iffy. I am wondering if I should go back to my plan of looking only at local cars and buying a pajero if nothing turns up in a few weeks
I had posted this earlier also. Did you check this one?
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Montero.html/
Old 11th August 2011, 19:44   #146
BHPian

yes, this is the vehicle I am refering to in the post immediately before yours
Old 11th August 2011, 20:32   #147
Team-BHP Support

did you drove this one as well ?

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Montero.html/

And i found price of the earlier one @ 21 lac at

Mitsubishi Montero DID 3.2 GLS Manual - WHITE - 45000kms - - Noida: Cars in Noida at Quikr Noida

+ there is one more 2003 manual at

2003 Mitsubishi Montero LIMITED - Delhi: Cars in Delhi at Quikr Delhi
Old 11th August 2011, 20:39   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I contacted this seller while I was in srinagar but it sold before I got back

yes, he said he would go below the asking price of 22Lacs that was on the other ad.
thank you, I'll get in touch over this one tomorrow. i would scream "brilliant!" but 28,000 km for a 2003 makes me suspicious. but thanks, I will check it out tomorrow for sure!

edit: something fishy about that last one. the picture shows a US neighborhood. the interior shows shows it to be left hand drive. total distance driven is listed in miles. "never seen snow" and "Clear title in hand" are phrases from american used car ads.

Last edited by Harbir : 11th August 2011 at 20:45.
Old 11th August 2011, 21:36   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i shouldn't be so harsh on this dealer. I begged and beseeched for a test drive for 2 weeks and they told me over and over "no TD vehicle available" until they finally broke down and said "ok, you can have a short drive". I was very careful and drove less than 2km.
Hey I thought you don't beg dealers

Anyway I'm quite sure the pre facelift Montero was 160ps+, don't remember the exact figure. Unless you are talking about the 2003 Montero type, though I think that was a 3.2 also.
Old 11th August 2011, 21:39   #150
Senior - BHPian

A lot of dealers post pictures of vehicles they do not really have for sale. This one posted a picture of a vehicle from the US & thought no one would notice ??? LOL

It is clear cut - misleading advt.

I do truly believe this used car buying has been quite a learning experience for you. Hope something +ve comes out of this....

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks