Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 13:04   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh
Hey, nice location for the dune (Wadi?) bashing... Is it kelambakkam or Palar?
It's actually a spot just off the ECR. About a KM past the ATV place called Off Road Sports and bout 6-7 km before Mahabalipuram. I've pinpointed the location of this obstacle on google maps in case anyone is interested. Location saved on my iPhone so you will have to PM me your email address for me to send the google map link of the location to you.
Old 21st November 2011, 17:49   #92

Re: Modifying my Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT for Off Roading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Hey, nice location for the dune (Wadi?) bashing... Is it kelambakkam or Palar?
It's a place off the ECR !
Old 12th December 2011, 13:40   #93
BHPian

Just got done with an awesome offroad trip that really put the Endeavour to the test. Here is the report and Pics copied from the 4x4 Excursions thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2607364

Attached are only the Videos of my Endeavour. Please see the thread in the 4x4 Excursions forum for other videos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a GREAT OTR on sunday where we did relatively tame obstacles for Jeeps and Gypsies but they were pretty intimidating to me. I didnt think my Endy would complete many of them but it completely surprised me and did even the toughest obstacles! I definitely think that my removing of the rear ssway bar aided rear traction due to articulation tremendouslly! It did have some other effects though: due to the higher than usual articulation now possible, the U joint in the driveshaft / propshaft was scraping the fuel tank skid plate quite badly when the right rear suspension was compressed more than previously possible. The sound of it scraping was just awful, especially for me. You'll hear it loud and clear in the following videos.

I had been in Bangalore the previous day so could not join the group on the 10th but made it out on the 11th. I called Vikram (Headers) early in the morning to ask him what the plan was for today and when they were going to leave for the days OTR. The plan initially was to do Palar but he said that we might do something else instead. Since the Endy struggled in Palar the last time, I knew I wasnt going to get to do many obstacles there so some other OTR spot sounded really exciting! I drove to AZ as fast as I could hoping they weren't going to leave without me but when I finally got there I see Vikram first, who tells me that we might not even go offroad today because everyone is tired after staying up until 5 and 6 AM the previous night! To add to my disappointment, half the team was still asleep, including the "Dinosaur" AKA Arka.

Waking him up had apparently been quite the Challenge but nevertheless I went to the tent to try to get him to make the OTR happen. Thankfully, He was already awake when I got there and just laying in bed. The OTR was ON! I went back to where Vikram was with a valiant smile on my face and told him the good news. After about half an hour, once all were washed, fed, and ready, we headed out to a spot just 2 minutes from AZ.

The first obstacle was a test of ADR angles (for me atleast). The entry was a small sharp hill, followed by a gully crossing where we had to go down and a sharp climb back up that tested approach angles. When I was in the car it loterally looked like I was driving into a wall. My front bumper scraped here. There is no video of us going through it the first time but there is of us coming back out of it which I have not yet uploaded. Will upload soon.

Second was another ditch sort of obstacle, easier than the first. I crossed with no problems. This was more part of the trail that it was an obstacle really.

Third was where the real fun was at. A lake bund with steep climbs, several crevices and channels that tires could get lost in. We went all the way over, down the other side and back up and down again from the other side. 2 climbs, 2 descents. Lickily my ramp angle was sufficient for this obstacle. Although it did scrape a little bit, I didn't get beached on top. First time through we took the easy way up and over and the Hard way back. The hard way had a huge crevice that when front right wheels fell in, the left rear would lift atleast 3 feet in the air! Happened to me. So first time through was pretty easy for everyone even though a few wheel went pretty high into the air. Arka was giving Vikram a hard time the whole day about too much wheelspin, making Vikram repeat obstacles if he had not done it to his satisfaction.

The second time around, Arka said we are going to go up on the hard slope, the part of the slope that had the deep crevice! It looked impossible and I was even more doubtful when even gypsies with mud terrain tires had to try 4 or 5 times to get up! After much contemplation and questioning about the right line to take, I finally gave it a shot. To my amazement, the Endy went up in the first attempt! I think the others were shocked too. On the way down I ended up lifting a wheel a few feet off the ground as well. The real drama was on the way back down the hard slope. I dropped my right front straight into the crevice and my car tipped to the right quite dangerously! I also apparently lifted my left rear about 5 feet in the air! I would love to have seen that but sadly that part is not seen clearly in the video. You can see me holding onto the side of the car though as I soil myself and think of the possible repair bill.

My run:

Next was a V-rut obstacle with a tough exit point, especially for open diff vehicles.

The whole crew exiting the OTR trail:

I had a great time and was immensely surprised with the abilities of my Endeavour I was so charged up after the OTR that I was literally trembling from the adrenaline (especially after a near toppling situation). It took atleast an hour to bring myself back down to normal after this OTR. Fantastic experience.

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 12th December 2011 at 13:41.
Old 18th January 2012, 04:54   #94
BHPian

Update: On the last OTR I went on, the U joint on the prop shaft was scraping the fuel tank skid plate because of the extra articulation made possible by removing the rear sway bar (anti roll bar). I have got this rectified by cutting a small 2 inch by 2 inch portion of the skid plate right where it was scraping. Did not take pictures during cutting but will take a picture soon to show where to cut if anyone is interested.

Also made a video compiling the off roading that I have been doing, which also includes the most recent trip:

Endeavour333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 17:24   #95
Senior - BHPian

@Vish: Try 35" Tyres, they will suit your vehicles dimensions!
Old 18th January 2012, 17:34   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yup. And will just give him more height and better break-over angle.

35" MT wicked tyres
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 17:53   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
I'm worried about all the problems associated with upsizing by that much! I'm thinking of either:
31x10.5x15 (31 inch dia, 266mm width)
Or
32x11.5x15 (32 inch dia, 292mm width)

I am not entirely sure of all the issues with upsizing like this so if you could let me know how severe they might be that would be great.

Known issues I am afraid of are: mainly: whether it will fit or not (fender flares would require cutting? How would it affect the look?) and reduction in the already bad turning radius. Then other issues are Reduction in acceleration, extra stress on drivetrain, extra stress on wheel bearings.

I think I will be fine with the 31s as they are not even that much wider but with the 32s I fear that the fenders will take a bashing when the wheels articulate. With the 35s (35x12.5xR15 = 317mm width), I'm just terrified as I have no idea about the extent to which such a large tyre would affect daily driving! But somehow I suspect that such a large tyre would make it very very difficult to drive on road.

Also, the wheels I am getting are steel wheels that have a negative offset of 29mm. Can't seem to find the ad in the classifieds anymore but someone told be I can get them in Bangalore.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 19th January 2012, 09:29   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vishnu,
You could contact Vijay (swastikviji) for the wheels.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 11:38   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter
Hi Vishnu,
You could contact Vijay (swastikviji) for the wheels.
Cheers,
Deepak
Thank you very much Deepak. Spoke to him this morning and I am going to get the rims made to order. Here are the issues and questions I am having now that I would be really glad if anyone can help:

I am looking at upgrading my Ford Endeavour tyres to Maxxis Bighorn MT tyres.

1) should I get 31x10.5x15 or 32x11.5x15? What width rims is ideal for both sizes? 8j, 9j or 10j?

2) What are the issues i am likely to experience with both sizes? Fender cutting, touching, etc.

3) Would the larger tyre be too stressful on the auto transmission? I heard it is better not to upsize by much for an auto transmission. Why is this the case?

4) How will turning radius get affected and what can I do to maintain turning radius? will negative offset rims help?

5) What would it be like as a daily driver if I upsize to the 32 inch tyre?

Would really appreciate an answer to as many of these questions as you have time for!

Just cannot seem to decide on which tyre to get because I am in the dark with respect to owning a vehicle with MT tyres.

Thank you everyone for your help
Old 20th January 2012, 12:18   #100
Senior - BHPian

Sas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
1) should I get 31x10.5x15 or 32x11.5x15? What width rims is ideal for both sizes? 8j, 9j or 10j?
Hi Vishnu,

What is the OD of your current Tyre?

Is it 32-11.50-15 or 32-12.50-15?

What is the OD (Static Loaded) of the 31 and 32" tyres? on 8/8.5j rims?

7.5-8.5j should be fine, what is the Off-Set or Back spacing of the OEM Rims and the after-market rims?

IIRC Turning Radius will reduce to almost half the current TR.

How about a SAS and Manual Tranny?

Regards,

Arka
Old 20th January 2012, 13:24   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c

Hi Vishnu,

Current: 109H

Is it 32-11.50-15 or 32-12.50-15?

It is 32-11.5-15

What is the OD (Static Loaded) of the 31 and 32" tyres? on 8/8.5j rims?

31: 109Q
32: 113Q

7.5-8.5j should be fine, what is the Off-Set or Back spacing of the OEM Rims and the after-market rims?

Maxxis website says 8.5j rims for 31" and 9j for the 32".
Not sure about OEM rims but after market rims are -29mm offset.

IIRC Turning Radius will reduce to almost half the current TR.

This is a major problem. Is this only with the 11.5 width or also with the 10.5? Will negative offset not improve the turning radius?

How about a SAS and Manual Tranny?

No idea what SAS is. I'm pretty sure changing to a manual tranny will be very expensive.
Old 20th January 2012, 15:09   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post

Current: 109H
Hi Vishnu,

What is the Diameter of your tyres when fitted on the Endy?

28"-29"-30"?

Regards,

Arka
Old 20th January 2012, 15:11   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c

Hi Vishnu,

What is the Diameter of your tyres when fitted on the Endy?

28"-29"-30"?

Regards,

Arka
Ah sorry, OD is 29.5 inches but the Geolandars I have now are 29.0 inches.
Old 20th January 2012, 16:09   #104
BHPian

OD of 31" is 30.6 inches
OD of 32" is 31.9 inches

OEM OD 29.5 inches
Current OD is 29.0 inches. Sorry for the double post. Got confused by OD. Thought it was the load index or speed rating.

I really want 32" tyres but I don't want it to affect my turning radius by more than 10-15%. Any way I can achieve that?

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 20th January 2012 at 16:29.
Old 24th January 2012, 17:17   #105
BHPian

Volvo 7700 Hybrid to make a debut in Bangalore | CarTrade.com

Is that you in that interview video (on the RHS of the page) talking about the Ironman suspension ?

Last edited by livyodream : 24th January 2012 at 17:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks