Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Thanks Invader and Shekaran!

Invader - will look into the 3M spray...looks like the best option for right now. Will additionally look for some film to use which will be a more permanent solution.

Really don't like the rear bench seats of the Thar - am looking at foldable seats.

Shekaran - been a long time since I heard from you. Hope you are well. Would love to have something like the Estima van seats, but I don't think it will be feasible for me financially. Will look at the innova or qualis seats!

Once the top is done for my Thar, will take a week to get two more done. You can have one of those if you are willing to drive to Bangalore and get it fitted!

Adsjar - it is a great vehicle, but not for everyone. If you have had a jeep before, you will know what I mean.

DirtyDan - the top is FRP - made by me and a friend. Some details and photos in the Thar hard top thread. It is a one piece top and is removable. We have the pattern and mould done. Fitting and internals are left.

One question I have for Thar owners is - would you wait for the Mahindra AC @75000 or would you/did you fit your own AC outside at half the price? You lose warranty on the engine if you fit your own...so what to do?

Regards,
Manas
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Thanks Invader and Shekaran!
One question I have for Thar owners is - would you wait for the Mahindra AC @75000 or would you/did you fit your own AC outside at half the price? You lose warranty on the engine if you fit your own...so what to do?

Regards,
Manas
Well, you know my answer. 23k to 25k, Scorp OE Behr Compressor and Kit. save 50k for Hard Top . Driven 1500k including chennai and no overheating.

Will put up details and photographs when I find some time.
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Manas on the THAR. The Blackdoes look really good and this is what even I had in mind till some other needs took priority and I had to disband the idea of the THAR.
I do like the camouflage colour seat cover and was wondering if you make it for other vehicles as well. Will be looking forward to the extensive mod report.

Quote:
We carry tents, sleeping bags, other camping equipment, kayaks etc with us and sometimes have to trail drive to get to drop off points at rivers to launch kayaks. Kayaking season is when the rains are heaviest and rivers at their fullest. So, the terrain is generally very muddy and slushy.

We also sometimes carry climbing equipment including crash pads.
Fellow climber I see. Actually due to the above reasons I had to ditch the THAR and get the Getaway. Are you going to put a heavy duty Roof Carrier for carrying all the equipment as the interior does lack space.

Anyways have loads of miles of fun and drive safe!

Cheers
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:08   #19
BHPian

@Milecruncher - Thanks for the compliment on my choice of color!

Actually, I am a novice climber (hence the need for crashpads! ) - but have a couple of climber friends - we mainly stick to bouldering though since I am not that confident at greater heights. Heard that Hampi is a great place for it and plan to drive the Thar there next month.

I plan to install a nice heavy duty carrier - working on a design which has the straps built in on rollers...this makes convenient since you don't need to carry straps etc. When not in use, the strap will retreat like a seatbelt and be hidden inside the carrier frame and can be pulled out when needed to secure something again.

Regards,
Manas

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2011 at 16:58. Reason: STRICTLY no forum posts on your goods / services please
Old 24th August 2011, 18:12   #20

Hey Manas, Congrats Buddy!
I am looking forward to mine in a few days.
Have you gotten the rear seats done up, if yes, which place do you suggest.
Any other suggestions on the modifications are also welcome, especially on the Rim and Tyre peice.
Thanks in advance.
Mayank.
Old 26th August 2011, 12:34   #21
BHPian

Hi All,

After a week of driving:
Filled full tank and so far have done 325Kms (all city driving). The needle is down to the beginning of 'E'. For a 60L tank, that is some terrible mileage.

What are others getting?

Regards,
Manas
Old 26th August 2011, 13:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

After a week of driving:
Filled full tank and so far have done 325Kms (all city driving). The needle is down to the beginning of 'E'. For a 60L tank, that is some terrible mileage.

What are others getting?

Regards,
Manas
Even though the tank is 60L, about 10-12L is reserve. But you should get atleast 10KMPL. Please check and let us know.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 13:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

After a week of driving:

What are others getting?

Regards,
Manas
It can go another 200 if it is near 'E'. It does not seem to be a true representation of what is inside the Fuel tank. You should get about 10.5 to 11 without A/C.
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 13:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manasm - on canopy leaking, it is not possible by design. Looking at your Thar photographs, the undercover of your canopy is not assembled in place and it is therefore protruding out of the roof line. The rear view shows the effect of this incorrect assembly, the canopy shrink lines are not matching the design specifications. Dimensionwise, the two bows above the rear seats are same, in your car they are not. I suggest, please get it corrected ASAP. You can then take reference dimensions before you start fitting your hard top. this is the correct thing to do.

75000 for the AC? What is so great in this AC? Almost everything is carryover. Think guys, think!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 26th August 2011 at 13:06.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 13:26   #25
BHPian

Thanks Black_Raven and MileCruncher - hopefully I will get the 10.5Kmpl. Swamy - Will call you over the weekend for a quick chat.

Mr DB - Thanks. Will be going to the showroom tomorrow to get my official plates put on. Will ask them about the roof line and and cost of the AC then.

The hard top I am working on is a completely different design from the canopy soft top. It is a more stream lined (curved) design with a slope at the rear. This will give about the same headroom as the canopy soft top, but will look better (in my opinion).

The problem is that doing it outside voids the warranty on the engine and the showroom refuses to budge on price. They have a take it or leave it attitude. And the Mahindra person I spoke to does not really want to speak to me about the AC and says that I just have to wait. So, whatever we think, it will not work unless there is some directive from Mahindra along those pricing and delivery lines.

Thanks,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manasm - on canopy leaking, it is not possible by design. Looking at your Thar photographs, the undercover of your canopy is not assembled in place and it is therefore protruding out of the roof line. The rear view shows the effect of this incorrect assembly, the canopy shrink lines are not matching the design specifications. Dimensionwise, the two bows above the rear seats are same, in your car they are not. I suggest, please get it corrected ASAP. You can then take reference dimensions before you start fitting your hard top. this is the correct thing to do.

75000 for the AC? What is so great in this AC? Almost everything is carryover. Think guys, think!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th August 2011, 14:15   #26
BHPian

Just got my hands on some nice astroturf - planning to use that as the interior carpeting on the jeep...easy to clean and will be a nice bright green compared to the black rest of the Thar.

What do you guys think?

Build for the sound bar has also started!

Regards,
Manas
Old 26th August 2011, 17:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Just got my hands on some nice astroturf - planning to use that as the interior carpeting on the jeep...easy to clean and will be a nice bright green compared to the black rest of the Thar.

What do you guys think?

Build for the sound bar has also started!

Regards,
Manas
If I am right, your Thar is going to be closed 90% of the time with HardTop and A/C. So IMHO, Dark Red carpeting above a thick coat of black bedliner will help you reduce some noise as well as waterproof your carpet.

No-No for Astroturf. Small stuff could get lost and I somehow can't visualize the beauty of Bright Green carpet in a Black beauty
Old 26th August 2011, 17:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Totally agree DB Sir. Absolutely Crazy pricing. 25k and my A/C is working like a champ. Yes, there is no warranty for the A/C kit. but for the price dealership is quoting, I can buy 3 A/C kits.
Old 28th August 2011, 09:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Totally agree DB Sir. Absolutely Crazy pricing. 25k and my A/C is working like a champ. Yes, there is no warranty for the A/C kit. but for the price dealership is quoting, I can buy 3 A/C kits.
Blackraven - Where did you get your AC installed. You might have posted elsewhere - but I couldn't find it.
Old 28th August 2011, 09:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Blackraven - Where did you get your AC installed. You might have posted elsewhere - but I couldn't find it.
Murali of CoolAid/Wecool behind Garuda Mall on margrath road.
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks