Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:36   #1
BHPian

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Hi All,

Have been requested to post pics of my Thar.

Delivered on 19 Aug 2011 - named BlackStarr!

Have pasted some info I put on other threads. I will keep updating with mods, performance, trips and my ownership experience on this thread!

Here is what I got:
  1. power door locks - Autocop (from dealer)
  2. power windows - RD (from dealer)
  3. Roll cage
  4. Front insect mesh
  5. front and rear light guards
Cost me 7.63 lakhs all told...prices have gone up from Aug 1st and so had road tax in Karnataka - but as my booking was done before and I was very nice to the sales guys, the let me have it at the old rate.

Couple of good points with the Thar
  • so much power on tap....
  • have had to change my driving style (for the better according to my wife) - since I cant corner as fast as I am used to with the Santro and City. She is much happier and more comfortable now
  • I also don't feel the need to drive as fast - since I want people to see me....
  • My daughter loves it...she wants to sit in the back and run up and down the rear when the Thar is stopped/parked
Some bad things
  • really need the hard top and AC - after an evening drive yesterday, my 2 year old daughter has a cough with all the fumes in her face!
  • rattles everywhere....but am locating each one and tightening them myself slowly!
  • parked in front of the temple with the front left wheel on the curb and the handbrake wouldn't hold! Freaked out my wife...and I had to sit in the Thar with the brake pressed down so the pujari could do his thing!
What I am buying today for my Thar:
  1. Gear/Steering lock
  2. Lock for the spare wheel
  3. Cover for the spare wheel - any suggestions on where to go and what kind of cover to buy?
Later this week - my acquisitions will be:
  1. Forward facing rear seats
  2. Hard top
I drove the Thar in the rain for the first time last evening - 4 adults including me + one 5 year old - the front windshield fogged up badly and had to pull over so I could wipe the inside with my shirt. Need some advice on how to stop the fogging!

I also don't like the way the rear flies around even on moderate bumps on the road. How can I get it to be a bit more planted? Everyone in the back last evening was thrown around! I read somewhere that you can put some sand bags in the back to help, but not sure I want to do that.

Third and final thing - the top leaks! not sure if it was condensation - but the rear passengers were getting drops of water on them and the inside of the canopy was wet! Anyone else found this?

The pics attached are of the vehicle and the power windows controls as requested by carrot_eater. If you are interested, let me know and I will give you the guys number and you can get it done for your Thar as well.

Thanks,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-blackstarr-side.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-blackstarr-front.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-blackstarr-rear.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-blackstarr-inside-front-cabin.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-blackstarr-passenger-door-inside.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-blackstarr-driver-door-inside.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-blackstarr-driver-seat-rear-2.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-blackstarr-driver-seat-rear.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-blackstarr-driver-seat.jpg  

manasm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Thanks Manasm - Why do I get this feeling - I've seen your Thar near the Sophia School. Anyway - might be another one.

About the fogging - I haven't experienced it yet as most of the time -its only me driving around. You may check the web - saw a few methods listed at a few sites.

The Canopy leaking- well - I haven't found this as yet. I have put it through heavy rains for quite some time - but if you touch the canopy at the rear seats - I did find it wet. Maybe a few more hours in the rain and I might find the canopy leaking.

And Thank you for the pictures of the power windows. Neat job. Let me give it a couple more months and get a feedback and then decide. At this point - I am fine with the rollers.

The rear seats will be bumpy - leaf springs. Check the tyre pressure
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Thanks Manasm - Why do I get this feeling - I've seen your Thar near the Sophia School. Anyway - might be another one.

The Canopy leaking- well - I haven't found this as yet. I have put it through heavy rains for quite some time - but if you touch the canopy at the rear seats - I did find it wet. Maybe a few more hours in the rain and I might find the canopy leaking.
carrot_eater - if you have seen a black Thar driving around Sophia School it was probably me driving from home (Indiranagar) to work (Peenya) or vice versa - thats my usual route - indiranagar -> airport road -> mg road -> golf course -> malleshwaram -> mahalakshmi layout -> peenya!

Yup - if you touch the inside of the canopy above the rear seats, it is wet and when enough collects, will drop on the passenger's heads!

Cheers,
Manas
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

How about that hardtop you were working on Manas?
When will you fit it on this beast?
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:12   #5
BHPian

The Thar goes into the garage this evening and will (hopefully) come out with a hard top Sunday...

Anyone have any non-working speakers available in bangalore? Busted/broken are what i am looking for - need to build the speaker bar in the next week or two so I can fit that on with the hard top as well. The speakers are for the measurements...I can pick them up...

Am going to order a set of marine speakers once the bar is complete.

Cheers,
Manas
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Hi All,

Have been requested to post pics of my Thar.

Delivered on 19 Aug 2011 - named BlackStarr!
Nice review, To your opening post Please add why you wanted to buy the thar.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:23   #7
BHPian

Many congratulations @manasm, awesome looking vehicle you've got. Black really makes its presence felt.
I haven't faced the leaking canopy issue so far, but as carrot_eater has mentioned maybe I heven't yet put it through a severe test.
Definitely a very neat job on the power windows.
What sort of forward facing rear seats do you plan on fitting?
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:59   #8
BHPian

manasm,
Congrats on the black starr!! It is a beauty!! I liked the power window set-up. Its nice and neatly done. Having followed your posts through the hard-top thread, am waiting to see the hard-top soon. All the best.
BTW, the utility-bag-cum-seat cover is kinda good looking!! Well thought-out addition for a Jeep. Where did you source it/ get it done?
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:08   #9
BHPian

Mr_Bean - have listed why I wanted the Thar in other earlier threads - that's why I didn't repeat it here.

Basically was looking at the Thar since it has 4 wheel drive and space. My family and I (and sometimes friends) travel ever so often to places like Masinagudi, Avalanche, Conoor, Udipi, Mangalore, Dandeli etc...We carry tents, sleeping bags, other camping equipment, kayaks etc with us and sometimes have to trail drive to get to drop off points at rivers to launch kayaks. Kayaking season is when the rains are heaviest and rivers at their fullest. So, the terrain is generally very muddy and slushy.

We also sometimes carry climbing equipment including crash pads. We also carry kids for long distances and might want to do a bit of offroading here and there...nothing really hardcore though.

The choice was Gypsy or Jeep and I didn't want a petrol vehicle. Was looking at an Armada for the space and 4 wheel drive, but it was too cumbersome and I was only able to find really old and abused vehicles.

My family has also had a Grand Cherokee and a Jeep Renegade, so I grew up loving the looks of jeeps.

When the Thar was released, looked at it, and it ticked a lot of boxes for me. So bought it!

I will be modding it extensively interior wise and with a hard top and carrier, but I wanted something that would be relatively problem free (not saying the Thar is completely problem free, but it is at a level I can tolerate).

If there were other options, I would have looked at them as well.

Hope that explains my motivation in getting a Thar. If not, feel free to ask me anything you want to know in particular and I will try to answer.

Nitin - looking at putting in Qualis seats as they fold twice - once down and again forward! But am still evaluating options. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Manas
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:28   #10
BHPian

Are you talking about a set up similar to this. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...y-mm550-7.html i.e. 3-seater with the left most seat foldable. I thought there wouldn't be enough space to do that on the thar, though I haven't measured it yet. I was planning on putting 2 seats at the rear, both which can be double folded, so I get more space to keep something if there are no passengers at the back.
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_80 View Post
Are you talking about a set up similar to this. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...y-mm550-7.html i.e. 3-seater with the left most seat foldable. I thought there wouldn't be enough space to do that on the thar, though I haven't measured it yet. I was planning on putting 2 seats at the rear, both which can be double folded, so I get more space to keep something if there are no passengers at the back.
Nitin - something exactly like that except it will be 2 of the same seats - like the left seat! so both can fold sideways and leave the middle open - or both can fold forward and leave more room in the rear.
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:58   #12
BHPian

Hi,

black Thar looks like a mean machine - simply cool!

my advise -

use a 3M demistifier spray - clean the windshield glass from inside and spray this liquid on the inside of the glass and wipe clean. it does the magic like no other; you do not need ac / heater for this; nor you need to pull-down your windows.

rear seat - one of Thar's rear shorter seat can be used as a front facing seat with no major modifications (infact it even has the floor holes to hold the seat in place). please do not do any major seat modifications!

cheers
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:36   #13
BHPian

manasm, the thar looks great in black !!! you must be tasting fully the "neighbour's envy, owner's pride" - lately. enjoy the looks, stares you get on the roads.

another rear seating option is : try to get toyota estima van's rear or middle row seats, which turn 180 degrees on their base. these can make your seating, front facing, rear facing or even side facing, but these seats are single seaters, so only 2 people can sit in the rear.

when are you releasing the hardtop ? eagerly waiting for the pics, and pls reserve one for me, on your next production run.

best regards.
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:29   #14
BHPian

Contratulations Manasm! BlackStarr looks awesome. Those are some innovative mods you are putting in. Will follow this thread closely as I need a bit of convincing to jump over the fence into tharland.
Old 22nd August 2011, 19:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
The Thar goes into the garage this evening and will (hopefully) come out with a hard top Sunday...
Can you tell us a little more about the hard top? Removable? Steel? Fiberglass? Pre-made or fabbed up by somebody?

Most Viewed