Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 16:19   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Fazal - what yaar, this is too much! .

Sumo has just been launched last month in BS4 and BS3 levels in four trim versions, CX, LX, EX and GX at an absolutely killer price. . A lot of good work has gone into making it what it is now. I suggest you drive the BS4 GX vehicle and judge for yourself. It offers extremely good value for the money at which it is available in the market. It is now in demand like never before. Each and every part is available and will continue to be available.

Dear Manas - sorry for writing about another vehicle in your Thar thread but I guess I had to clarify.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Mr Behram,
Will the Sumo be launched in 2.2 and 4x4...?
Old 5th December 2011, 16:54   #152
BHPian

Arun - I live there...so yes! You would have seen the Thar parked around there. Was getting it washed!

Next time, stop and say hi.

Regards,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Manas, did you come to Kodihalli area on last sunday morning? Near BSNL office, New thippasandra?

I think i stopped the same THAR parked on the road side.
Old 6th December 2011, 09:57   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@manas:

Your painstaking efforts have paid off man. Top is looking great. After it is painted and sun film put on the side glass, the glass doesn't look as awkward as in the earlier pictures.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 11:27   #154
BHPian

This morning had the smell of unburnt fuel in the cabin. Was coming through the hard top and was quite strong for the first 5 minutes and then either I got used to it or it stopped coming in.

Will be getting the 1st service done on Monday and will bring it up to the service guys - since 19th August to today have covered about 2500kms.

This is the first time this is happening.

The only other issue is that the coolent level keeps dropping to minimum every 10 days or so and I have to keep filling it back up.

On a pleasant note:
I love driving the Thar. I have had police stop me on 4 occasions since Monday to ask me about the vehicle (costs, mileage, engine etc) and now have 2 junctions in Bangalore on my way to work where when the cops see me coming, they wave to me to say hi and stop all other traffic to let me pass and not have to stand and wait!

Last edited by manasm : 8th December 2011 at 11:29.
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 11:40   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Arun - I live there...so yes! You would have seen the Thar parked around there. Was getting it washed!

Next time, stop and say hi.

Regards,
Manas
Manas, Even i stay in the same area, the lane right next to Sri Vinyaka washing center.

I asked the person in the shop and he said that you stay in the lane opposite to that.

Sure, will meet up sometime.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:11   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On a pleasant note:
I love driving the Thar. I have had police stop me on 4 occasions since Monday to ask me about the vehicle (costs, mileage, engine etc) and now have 2 junctions in Bangalore on my way to work where when the cops see me coming, they wave to me to say hi and stop all other traffic to let me pass and not have to stand and wait!
WoW !!! you and your Thar are celebrities!! makes it worth the effort you have put in I guess!
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 13:04   #157

Manas, the top is looking even better now. congrats !

I am due for my 1st service next week too. Would be great if someone can list down specific items/checks to look into at first service.

Even I am struggling with dropping coolant levels and the smoke in the cabin for the past few months.
I also have an additional issue with the Orange check indicator in the dash that glows every time I apply the brakes, once the vehicle has done about 30-40 kms. It goes away as soon as I release the brakes. Any clues as to what might be the cause of it?

But i still love the Thar and the ride. Hopefully if these issues get fixed I can have some peace of mind.

Thanks.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:48   #158
jp1
BHPian

Hi Manasm
Were you able to sort out the rear seat arrangement? If I remember correctly, you were planning to put Qualis 2nd row seat which is two way foldable. Any luck with it?
What is the future plan for hard top? are you planning to offer it for public?
Old 8th December 2011, 16:52   #159
BHPian

Thanks Myk.b!

I will be putting together a list of all the things I am going to check on first service - will get some help from Rajith, Swamy and Vijay when making the list as they have all done their first service already. Will post the list once I make it.

The dropping coolent levels have been there for a while for me but this is the first time I have had the smell in the cabin - no smoke though.

Regards,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk.b View Post
Manas, the top is looking even better now. congrats !

I am due for my 1st service next week too. Would be great if someone can list down specific items/checks to look into at first service.

Even I am struggling with dropping coolant levels and the smoke in the cabin for the past few months.
I also have an additional issue with the Orange check indicator in the dash that glows every time I apply the brakes, once the vehicle has done about 30-40 kms. It goes away as soon as I release the brakes. Any clues as to what might be the cause of it?

But i still love the Thar and the ride. Hopefully if these issues get fixed I can have some peace of mind.

Thanks.
Old 8th December 2011, 16:54   #160
BHPian

JP1,

Still working on the rear seat arrangement. Got a set of seats which did not work out properly for me.

I hope to have something finished by the end of the year for the seats.

I am indeed planning to offer the top to whoever wants it and will post details about it in the next couple of days.

Regards,
Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
Hi Manasm
Were you able to sort out the rear seat arrangement? If I remember correctly, you were planning to put Qualis 2nd row seat which is two way foldable. Any luck with it?
What is the future plan for hard top? are you planning to offer it for public?
Old 9th December 2011, 16:18   #161

Quote:
The dropping coolent levels have been there for a while for me but this is the first time I have had the smell in the cabin - no smoke though.

Regards,
Manas
Correction on the smoke bit in my earlier post. Its just the smell. All the while in my head it was always about some exhaust coming into the cabin being the cause of it. Thats why the typo.

Thanks for compiling the list. Will wait for it.
Old 12th December 2011, 13:56   #162
BHPian

Given the Thar for first service today. Am picking it up this evening.

Things I asked to get done:
  • Check re: the unburnt gas smell in the cabin
  • Squeak from the bonnet to be fixed
  • Regular service
  • Flush and replace all fluids
  • Engine and body cleaning
  • Dash cleaning and polishing
  • Remove rust and re-paint all areas in the bed (around the holes)
  • I have been driving with 32 in all wheels - others I have have suggested 30, 28 and one person also suggested 32 in front and 28 in rear. I checked with the service personnel and they looked through the owner's manual with me and it says 35!? Is that ok or too much?
  • Checking the suspension as I feel my Thar leans forward to much
  • Replacing the rusted metal on the dash (behind the rubber strip)
  • I am getting only about 9.5 mileage and have asked them to see why - should be getting 10.5 to 11 is what the service center says
  • Underbody cleaning and rust removal from the wheel wells
Hope this helps everyone for the list of first service items. Please add to this so I can look at it for second service.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 12th December 2011, 22:27   #163
BHPian

- door latches oiled, especially back latches
- bolts on hood fixtures are fitted reverse and protrude inwards. Impacts tall passengers on rear seats, potential for screws to cause injury.
- hand brake light connectors near the pull up rod tend to loosen out, seal fixit
- refix gear shift gasket, unburnt smell comes in from here often
- seal off underside holes with plastic tapes.
- petrol tank gauge (float has a habit of giving away)
- check if welding of hold on rods under the engine hood is ok
vnambiar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 12:56   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Squeak from the bonnet to be fixed

I had a similar squeaking problem from the bonnet. Turned out to be the bonnet hold on rod touching some part of the metal on closing the bonnet. Re-adjusted it to the innermost position -there are 2 slots for the hold on rods - and the noise vanished. It took lots of investigation though, to figure it out, from me and the mahindra workshop guys. Could be the same issue with yours.
nitin_80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 14:54   #165
BHPian

Am looking for some alloys for the Thar - thats the next step of evolution!

Any suggestions on where to go in Bangalore? Phone numbers and names would be great!

Thanks,
Manas

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks