Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 18:29   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Got the Thar back from Rajith today.

There was an issue with the air mass sensor being completely dirty, which should account for the loss of low end grunt in the Thar.

Rajith drove it all the way to Coimbatore and the following work was done:
[*]brakes upgraded - stops on a dime now. first pump stops the vehicle and the 2nd pump locks the wheels - am more confident driving at higher speeds now[*]cleaned the engine including the air mass sensor and the filter etc - the Warthog now flies off the line! [*]Redid a lot of the wiring including the engine bay and the music system plus the wiring for the Autocop. Looks great![*]Replaced the spacers in the rear wheels with a new better finished set from Rohan @ Rogeotech free of costA big thanks to Rajith and the time and energy he has put into helping me out on my Thar.

P.S. He did Coimbatore to Bangalore in 4.5 hours, and in parts the speedometer needle crossed 160 and with the brakes, was stable!

Cheers,
Manas
Have you got the chipset replaced? 160 is a very desirable figure. I have managed 137 or thereabout. Ran out of road! Never pushed it further than that.
Old 18th July 2013, 18:43   #227
BHPian

Re: Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives

Quote:
Got the Thar back from Rajith today.

There was an issue with the air mass sensor being completely dirty, which should account for the loss of low end grunt in the Thar.

Rajith drove it all the way to Coimbatore and the following work was done:
  1. brakes upgraded - stops on a dime now. first pump stops the vehicle and the 2nd pump locks the wheels - am more confident driving at higher speeds now
  2. cleaned the engine including the air mass sensor and the filter etc - the Warthog now flies off the line!
  3. Redid a lot of the wiring including the engine bay and the music system plus the wiring for the Autocop. Looks great!
  4. Replaced the spacers in the rear wheels with a new better finished set from Rohan @ Rogeotech free of cost
A big thanks to Rajith and the time and energy he has put into helping me out on my Thar.

P.S. He did Coimbatore to Bangalore in 4.5 hours, and in parts the speedometer needle crossed 160 and with the brakes, was stable!

Cheers,
Manas
Waiting to check your Thar this week-end! I am getting more and more convinced to go in for the brake upgrade.

BTW can you please advise where I can get my side foot-steps powder-coated? Since I do not plan to go off-roading, I am not in favour of rock sliders!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 21:04   #228
BHPian

Vinay - have not done anything to the ECU...that is all stock! They way it is going now, I dont think I need any more power.

Bopanna - See you Sunday. I really think the brake upgrade it worth it. I have really run the Thar ragged now I am more confident of the brakes and my trust has not been let down. I have a guy in Peenya I got the powder coating done from...will talk to you about it on Sunday.
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 23:40   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
No Manas, it will be difficult to make it fit perfectly on the thar because the width,hight and length will change.
- Sreejesh

I am smiling this side seeing this comment. I am sure you are speaking out of experience. Otherwise this would have already happened on one of ur jeep builds, I guess.
Old 31st July 2013, 11:47   #230
BHPian

Need a donor electric sunroof in Bangalore. Anyone know where I can find scrap cars with sunroofs?
Old 31st July 2013, 18:03   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Have you got the chipset replaced? 160 is a very desirable figure. I have managed 137 or thereabout. Ran out of road! Never pushed it further than that.
Quote:
Vinay - have not done anything to the ECU...that is all stock! They way it is going now, I dont think I need any more power.
I doubt its a genuine 160 kph. Meter errors are not uncommon.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 18:53   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Need a donor electric sunroof in Bangalore. Anyone know where I can find scrap cars with sunroofs?
I hope you find this useful and helpful.

http://www.carazoo.com/accessories/webastoproducts

Cheers,

Last edited by DeClutch 4X4 : 31st July 2013 at 18:53. Reason: Included link
DeClutch 4X4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 19:35   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
I hope you find this useful and helpful.

http://www.carazoo.com/accessories/webastoproducts

Cheers,
Thanks DeClutch,

I have seen the webasto ones, but they are expensive. Was hoping to find one from a donor car to ease the pain on my wallet.

Was looking for a scrap lot or scrap car dealer who might have a skoda/audi/vw with a sun roof, that he would let me have for a lower price.
Old 31st July 2013, 19:53   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks DeClutch,

I have seen the webasto ones, but they are expensive. Was hoping to find one from a donor car to ease the pain on my wallet.

Was looking for a scrap lot or scrap car dealer who might have a skoda/audi/vw with a sun roof, that he would let me have for a lower price.
@ manasm: yeah your absolutely right in saying its expensive. For the cost of procurement i guess one can pick a 2WD jeep

It will be interesting to see a jeep plonked with Sunroof (panaromic ??). do keep us posted.

A trip to shivajinagar might come handy and I have PM'ed you contact details of salvage dealer. he might give you some lead.

Cheers,
DeClutch 4X4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 11:00   #235
BHPian

Hi all,

I know its been ages...but I have been busy and have done quite a lot on my Thar. I have finally crossed 50k kms!

mods include -
1. internal roll cage
2. external roll cage
3. the same old Ht
4. a set of lights - 1 bar and two spots
5. winch
6. flat front bumper
7. seat change - front and rear
8. a 2 inch body lift to accomodate the 32" tyres

Some pics attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-12744756_10153301323621034_7408705502800063734_n.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-13920458_1663799287273307_2411855206387517710_o.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-15219482_10153967451891034_3854911821309329620_n.jpg  

Tharred and Feathered - BlackStarr arrives-15304639_10153967443646034_6059500054797130562_o.jpg  

manasm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 16:36   #236
BHPian

Quote:
mods include -
1. internal roll cage
2. external roll cage
3. the same old Ht
4. a set of lights - 1 bar and two spots
5. winch
6. flat front bumper
7. seat change - front and rear
8. a 2 inch body lift to accomodate the 32" tyres

May I ask how was the (2) External Roll Cage & (6) Flat Bumper fabricated/ sourced?
Old 9th March 2017, 11:30   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
May I ask how was the (2) External Roll Cage & (6) Flat Bumper fabricated/ sourced?
Both were fabricated by me and a friend. We sourced the pipe locally and went and got it bent and welded for the roll cage and plate for the bumper.

We had to get a tinker to help for the external cage since the cage is bolted to points in the body. Inside the body, at those points, there are solid plates that go to the chassis. So actually, the cage is bolted to those plates and is functional.
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 11:56   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I know its been ages...but I have been busy and have done quite a lot on my Thar. I have finally crossed 50k kms!
What are the two strings/wires on the red thar at the Pump and on the orange one in the first pic? Have seen this on quite a few offroaders but couldnt really make sense of it. Is it some kind of a bolster for the windshield?
Old 9th March 2017, 12:54   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
What are the two strings/wires on the red thar at the Pump and on the orange one in the first pic? Have seen this on quite a few offroaders but couldnt really make sense of it. Is it some kind of a bolster for the windshield?
They have varied names & we have a thread on them:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...sh-cables.html

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 14:21   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
They are called Limb Raisers. help in avoiding / directing away tree branches hitting the windscreen directly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks