Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2011, 17:42   #1
BANNED

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk

My THAR CRDe has completed 5000kms, initial reports as below. I had taken the delivery on 24th Sept 2011.

Modifications

1)130/100w Head lamps with finolex wiring .
2)100w - HL 445 Autopal Auxilary lamps
3)RD power windows
4)Geolander AT tyres - 235x75x16
5)Rear CFL.
5)ICE with Pioneer DVC sub & sound stream 4ch Sub.
6)AC+Heater.
7)S type M&M scorpio OE alloys.
8)Sports front bumber from 4x4 prad.
9)Roots vibrosonic horns.
10)Wireless antenna.

Problems found & rectified.

1)Water seepage from 4wd lever boot and rt hand side mudguard bolts to the cabin _ rectified with wire tag to the boot & sealant for the bolts.
2)Castor & Camber - was out - Rectified with shims.
3)Door & roof noise - Rectified many number of times, keep coming and going.
4)front RHS free wheel hub failed during a long trip - Replaced under warranty.
5)Exhaust smell coming inside - Reloaded the data set with new version and changed the exhaust pipe.
6)First service cost me @ 2450/- rs.

I drive the THAR every weekend and my wife uses this for her daily chores @ 10kms a day.
Gives a bold on road presence. An average Overall build quality. With an Air conditioner added this is a very peppy vehicle for city and highways.
No turbo lag experienced, engine feels highly refined and found an average mileage of 10kMs/lt. Handling is superb after fitting of CFL. Lot of shopping space at rear.

Vehicle is a head turner, good second vehicle for fun driving. Can't be bundled as a family & a offroading vehicle as long journey with kids & family is tiring. Underchassis is fully silent. Only front 2 doors and soft top keep rattling.
Attached Thumbnails
Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-1.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-2.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-3.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-4.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-5.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-6.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-7.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-8.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-9.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-10.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-11.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-12.jpg  

Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk-13.jpg  

Last edited by Amartya : 2nd January 2012 at 11:40.
Rajith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 13:32   #2
BANNED

re: Thar Crde and an Isuzu Monk

Guys,
ICE formation found in AC when Thermostat kept 50% posistion in Bangalore, but works fine even when kept theromostat 100% in Chennai/Coimvatore climates. So not fiddling with settings now.
Old 7th January 2012, 13:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

What exactly is a rear CFL which helped making the handling better?

Edit: Ok got it. CF leaf spring!
Old 7th January 2012, 22:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rajith,

Can you tell us a little more about mod #8, the front bumper? I don't understand what you wrote. Bumper LOOKS good.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:46   #5
BHPian

Rajith,

Cool mods congrats. But IFS , complicated electronics,light steering etc.. So as a friend I am giving you an offer I am ready to exchange with my Legendary Ex-army MM550xd with LSD on both the diffs and a full set taparia spanner and screw driver.

Your true friend,
Sreejesh.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:55   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Rajith,

Can you tell us a little more about mod #8, the front bumper? I don't understand what you wrote. Bumper LOOKS good.
Hi,
This bumber was supplied by 4x4prad, Mr Pradeep from Bangalore.Writing on the bumber is his logo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Rajith,

Cool mods congrats. But IFS , complicated electronics,light steering etc.. So as a friend I am giving you an offer I am ready to exchange with my Legendary Ex-army MM550xd with LSD on both the diffs and a full set taparia spanner and screw driver.

Your true friend,
Sreejesh.
Thanks friend for the offer , more we will discuss on the 1st day of Bangalore OTR, direct !!.I am on a Legendary Ex-army MM550xd NGCS project. Will reveal soon the details..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th January 2012 at 09:34.
Old 9th January 2012, 09:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Free wheeling hub failure? I suggest you do not shift to 4x4 on the fly. It prolongs the life of these hubs. I always stop and shift to 4WD if possible!
These hubs are used in scorpio, safari, and now the Thar. The internal part which usually fails is a thin metal pin.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:31   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Free wheeling hub failure? I suggest you do not shift to 4x4 on the fly. It prolongs the life of these hubs. I always stop and shift to 4WD if possible!
These hubs are used in scorpio, safari, and now the Thar. The internal part which usually fails is a thin metal pin.
Hi,
FW hub failuer happened with in 350kms of the intial drive and i have never used the 4wd set up till that time on this THAR.It happened when i was driving on SH @ 70km/hr speed.All of a sudden a spring unwinding noise came from rt front wheel and wheel started rotating like a truck propeller shaft , ie rotating not freely. ASC attended imm and replaced.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rajith - it is good to see that you have crossed the 5000 kms mark in 4 months. MH01V521 did it in 5 days @ 1000 kms/day. Please continue to post on the forum for everybody's benefit. For door rattling, please reinforce the Targa band by adding a local reinforcement at its bottom. This should ideally be a 44.45 mm diameter (1.75 inch) OD pipe, running the length of the floor, taking cues from the rear floor welded nuts which we have provided for Europe application / domestic seat belt mounting on the floor. The idea is to increase the section modulus. Once the B pillar gets this reinforcement, door rattling will stop as dimensions will retain as per requirement. Like this, there are many things which shall enhance the car's value to you as it's final user. I will tell you slowly slowly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 13:04   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Rajith - it is good to see that you have crossed the 5000 kms mark in 4 months. MH01V521 did it in 5 days @ 1000 kms/day. Please continue to post on the forum for everybody's benefit. For door rattling, please reinforce the Targa band by adding a local reinforcement at its bottom. This should ideally be a 44.45 mm diameter (1.75 inch) OD pipe, running the length of the floor, taking cues from the rear floor welded nuts which we have provided for Europe application / domestic seat belt mounting on the floor. The idea is to increase the section modulus. Once the B pillar gets this reinforcement, door rattling will stop as dimensions will retain as per requirement. Like this, there are many things which shall enhance the car's value to you as it's final user. I will tell you slowly slowly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,
Thanks for the info.Please share a pencil drawing if possible.Major issue with Thar for long drives in country road is the door rattling.If its sorted , this will be a fantastic family machine as well.Please note that my MAJOR 4wd was pin drop silent even in any extreme road conditions with average ride speed apart from DI engine sound.

I wonder, if we start sorting design flaws like this what will be the manufacturers role & responsiblity , apart from collecting money from us

Last edited by Rajith : 9th January 2012 at 13:06.
Rajith is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 13:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will tell you slowly slowly.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir,

The B pillar is the real culprit for the door rattling as it swing with the body roll.

On one of by builds I had made a solid roll bar in the same profile as the B pillar and with a 8mm strip bolted the roll bar and the B pillar on either sides after wich there were no recurring misalignment or rattling.
Regards,
Old 9th January 2012, 14:20   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
I wonder, if we start sorting design flaws like this what will be the manufacturers role & responsiblity, apart from collecting money from us.
Dear Rajith - When I read your above statement, I tended to agree but then I would want to differ. There are numerous thngs which they do, which only they can do. For example, try to get CMVR certificate. You will tear your hair out. Then, there is the process adherence which is an extremely important part of the product development process which only the organization can complete, an individual cannot.

Dear Fazal - your above comment is correct. I have purposely kept a dummy seat belt mounting additional welded nut on the B pillar. If you have a roll over bar, please connect these points to the roll over bar. This will arrest B pillar rattling as it will now get solid support for the B pillar. You can also connect the B pillar center bracket with the roll over bar.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th January 2012, 14:24   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Dear Rajith - When I read your above statement, I tended to agree but then I would want to differ. There are numerous thngs which they do, which only they can do. For example, try to get CMVR certificate. You will tear your hair out. Then, there is the process adherence which is an extremely important part of the product development process which only the organization can complete, an individual cannot.

Dear Fazal - your above comment is correct. I have purposely kept a dummy seat belt mounting additional welded nut on the B pillar. If you have a roll over bar, please connect these points to the roll over bar. This will arrest B pillar rattling as it will now get solid support for the B pillar. You can also connect the B pillar center bracket with the roll over bar.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
sir,
can we use the M&M OE roll over bar supplied by the dealers to arrest these rattling atleast ,keeping its life saviour roles apart .
Rgrds,
Rajith
Old 17th January 2012, 09:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hello Mr. Behram,
I have a similar door rattling issue on my Thar as well. It's a sort of sqeak and rattle combined. If I open the door and close it, the noise disappears for about five minutes and then comes back again. Will the dealer know about the reinforcement of the Targa band or does this have to be done ourselves?
Old 18th January 2012, 11:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
Hello Mr. Behram, I have a similar door rattling issue on my Thar as well. It's a sort of sqeak and rattle combined. If I open the door and close it, the noise disappears for about five minutes and then comes back again. Will the dealer know about the reinforcement of the Targa band or does this have to be done ourselves?
Dear Mr.Lakshman1645 - hello to you. Of course it would be the second option. I will first start and finish the work in my mind (every single detail including fasteners), then I will progress the work on the prototype and I would be around halfway done building the prototype by the time the job card is opened, if it is opened for this type of work at all.

Please don't make me do this but, . Sorry, could not help it! Good one!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 18th January 2012 at 11:56. Reason: add info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks