Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:54   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The new MG416W Gypsy in town...well, sort of!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the 4x4 Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 23rd September 2013, 20:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi vroom666,

I absolutely love this color you have chosen. Since you have this much on your vehicle, and planning to do a lot, can I please request you to add one more item to the to-do list? A front Gypsy King horizontal grille. It will really make the vehicle stand out.

Also, if you plan to do hard core off-roading, please, strengthen diffs and chop rear overhang.
Old 24th September 2013, 11:36   #18
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom666 View Post
It (Xenon) is still the best looking vehicle on Indian roads for me
Hi Buddy,

Lovely Gypsy. We have two things in common. Even I feel the Xenon is the best looking vehicle on Indian roads. And your Gypsy and my Jeep have the same color! Looks awesome!

Don't know if Just Empty Every Pocket works for Gypsies too but I think you are getting there

Cheers,
Adi
Old 24th September 2013, 13:09   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. Winch: This will be the last accessory I put on. Don't want the cheap chinese ones. Hopefully will pick a Warn 8000lb budget permitting at the time.
Plan for bigger battery also if you plan to actively use the winch. Else a winch on a gypsy, with stock battery can throw up surprises.

Quote:
2. Suspension upgrade: Immediate on my list. Can experts please give me your opinions on which one is recommended - OME or Ironman? Both are around 70000/- with Ironman being slightly expensive close to 75000/-. I am being told that Ironman ones are actually made in Thailand and they only have a registered office in Australia. Plus apparently OME ones are more reliable? Need some advice here please
My 2 cents: Either one is fine.

Quote:
3. Lockers: Will do this with the suspension upgrade. Checked on ARB Air lockers -- around 80000/- including compressor etc. which is way too much I feel. So my choice is between Lockrite & the Lambda ones.
No brainer: Go for LAMDA. When I used lockright, there was no LAMDA. It offers select-able locking

Quote:
6. K&N filter - Can the experts please tell me if this is needed/advisable if I put on a snorkel?
Use a stock replacement one.

Quote:
7. An external roll cage - just a thought for now.
Yeah, do get a roll cage.

Quote:
8. Remove the seats at the back and reduce the length of the trunk? Thinking of Spidey here
Reduced overhang does help your departure angles & prevents busted rear bumper/lights etc.
Old 24th September 2013, 19:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
... Yeah, do get a roll cage.
... Reduced overhang does help your departure angles & prevents busted rear bumper/lights etc.
Shahnawaj - Do you know a good place in Bangalore to get the roll cage done? Also where did you get Spidey's rear overhang cut?

The battery has already been changed to a bigger one. I have replaced the older Panasonic one with an Amaron.

As per Zac - Ironman is now giving a 3yrs/60000 kms warranty from September. Earlier it was 2 yrs/40000 kms. Will check with Narayan@Ozone tomorrow for the deal on OME kit. Will then take a call on which one to fit.

Also spoke to Vijay for the LAMDA lockers. Will leave the vehicle with him sometime next week for the fitment. Will also fit a snorkel at the same time.

@AVR/Adi : Am getting there At this rate - my spend on the mods will very soon equal to the price of the vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
... Gypsy King horizontal grille ... strengthen diffs ...
Thanks Dhanush. I agree. Will get the King grille fitted soon. Can you also explain what needs to be done to strengthen the differentials? Am not a very mechanically oriented person but I do understand the basics. Need to know what to explain to the garage guys.

I will definitely use the vehicle for offroading - how hardcore I do not know yet. Am still a newbie as compared to all of you. Was planning to go for the G-EEP Gulbarga OTR but unfortunately need to travel out of country on work on the same weekend. But this gives me a chance to complete some of the other mods by that time and be ready for the next OTR in or around Bangalore.
vroom666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 20:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also spoke to Vijay for the LAMDA lockers. Will leave the vehicle with him sometime next week for the fitment. Will also fit a snorkel at the same time.

Can you also explain what needs to be done to strengthen the differentials?
You could check with Vijay for axle truss. He could help fabricate one for you.
For you, there is some discussion about it in this thread --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post2236839
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 08:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shahnawaj - Do you know a good place in Bangalore to get the roll cage done? Also where did you get Spidey's rear overhang cut?
I think Vijay can help you with roll cage and also the diff strengthening. For rear over hang, I had got done at local workshop. Any good place with good tinkers will do. Maybe you could ask Sanjay Garage itself. IIRC, he has done few rear chops.

Quote:
As per Zac - Ironman is now giving a 3yrs/60000 kms warranty from September. Earlier it was 2 yrs/40000 kms. Will check with Narayan@Ozone tomorrow for the deal on OME kit. Will then take a call on which one to fit.
If the price difference is not much, go for the one with better warranty.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 18:20   #23
BHPian

Thanks Khan & Deepak. Will speak to Vijay soon.

Another query. I came across these articles about a modified Gypsy:

http://m.zigwheels.com/news-features...ication/16898/

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-351594.aspx/0

The person has used Thar's rear leaf springs which are longer then stock gypsy ones & used 14" Bilstein shocks which when coupled give him about 25 odd inch of wheel travel & 14 inch suspension travel. Thus he is getting better articulation as well.

Now a question: Is it a better idea to opt for this setup rather than going in for the Ironman/OME suspension kit? I am guessing it would save me some moolah as well which I could use for other mods.

I am not too concerned about the comfort factor. Priority is vehicle with better off road capabilities. Please give me your thoughts guys as I am confused.

And another query: Is there anything called off roading alloys? I mean any alloys specifically meant for off road usage? If yes, can someone guide me to a thread or photo or brand? I have gone through the offroad rims & tyres thread but couldn't see anything specific to off road alloys as such.
Old 27th September 2013, 00:01   #24
BHPian

Congrats on the new vehicle, especially a 1.6 Gypsy that is sorted.

Are those really 235 section Yokos? Looks more like 215s to me.

Before you plonk the big ones into doing the mods, do use the vehicle in a couple of OTRs and prioritize the mods. A well set up Gypsy driven right can do quite a lot even in stock form.

Before I had picked up my Gypsy, I had made similar extensive lists. Now, having kept her for ~2-years, the vehicle remains 99% stock (helps that it is not my main vehicle). Keeping it close to stock also has the benefit of making it a cheap one to own. Put all those fancy bits in, break them and you'll run up quite a bill, especially if you plan to pursue the OTRs on a regular basis.

How does it feel to drive with that stock Maruti steering wheel? I have always wondered about that mod as my other vehicle is a Swift and it has the same steering wheel.
Old 27th September 2013, 23:50   #25
BHPian

Vroom!

You have the best looking Gypsy in the town and believe me its a pleasure to know that it belongs to someone who sits right next to me in office I am a fan of this ride from the day one I spotted it in the parking.

Looking for a joy ride soon!

Cheers
Old 29th September 2013, 12:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Vroom!

You have the best looking Gypsy in the town and believe me its a pleasure to know that it belongs to someone who sits right next to me in office I am a fan of this ride from the day one I spotted it in the parking.

Looking for a joy ride soon!

Cheers
Thanks Amit. Still a lot of work pending to make the vehicle a better off roader. And you can take it out for a spin whenever you want
Old 29th September 2013, 19:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
... Are those really 235 section Yokos? Looks more like 215s to me.

Before you plonk the big ones into doing the mods, do use the vehicle in a couple of OTRs and prioritize the mods. A well set up Gypsy driven right can do quite a lot even in stock form.

How does it feel to drive with that stock Maruti steering wheel? I have always wondered about that mod as my other vehicle is a Swift and it has the same steering wheel.
Thanks Codelust. Sorry I missed reading this post earlier. Those are 235's, maybe the angle of the photo is the culprit.

I have used/driven a friend's stock Gypsy earlier and have indulged in some minor offroading with him (nothing of the sort that the TBHP forum lists out though). This time I have set aside the money for the mods and am hell bent on getting it done before the money goes off into something else I will take my time ... maybe a couple of months before I complete the whole list but maybe not a year or so as you say

And yes the Swift steering is a straight fit and I find it very comforting as compared to the stock one. Give it a try if you want for some time and if you dont like you can shift back to stock anytime.
Old 30th September 2013, 09:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Khan & Deepak. Will speak to Vijay soon.

Another query. I came across these articles about a modified Gypsy:

http://m.zigwheels.com/news-features...ication/16898/

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-351594.aspx/0

The person has used Thar's rear leaf springs which are longer then stock gypsy ones & used 14" Bilstein shocks which when coupled give him about 25 odd inch of wheel travel & 14 inch suspension travel. Thus he is getting better articulation as well.

Now a question: And another query: Is there anything called off roading alloys? I mean any alloys specifically meant for off road usage? If yes, can someone guide me to a thread or photo or brand? I have gone through the offroad rims & tyres thread but couldn't see anything specific to off road alloys as such.
There is nothing better than standard OEM wheels for OTRs, as and when they get bent, you can get them hammered into their original shape. Its a cheap and cheerful way of keeping the overheads down!
Old 30th September 2013, 11:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:

The battery has already been changed to a bigger one. I have replaced the older Panasonic one with an Amaron.

@AVR/Adi : Am getting there At this rate - my spend on the mods will very soon equal to the price of the vehicle

Thanks Dhanush. I agree. Will get the King grille fitted soon. Can you also explain what needs to be done to strengthen the differentials? Am not a very mechanically oriented person but I do understand the basics. Need to know what to explain to the garage guys.

I will definitely use the vehicle for offroading - how hardcore I do not know yet. Am still a newbie as compared to all of you. Was planning to go for the G-EEP Gulbarga OTR but unfortunately need to travel out of country on work on the same weekend. But this gives me a chance to complete some of the other mods by that time and be ready for the next OTR in or around Bangalore.
Congrats Vroom. And yes, you will soon pass the point of no return when it comes to spending. My spend on my 413 is now equal to the price of the vehicle. I am now going in for Calimini 5" shocks.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardeepmd View Post
Congrats Vroom. And yes, you will soon pass the point of no return when it comes to spending. My spend on my 413 is now equal to the price of the vehicle. I am now going in for Calimini 5" shocks.
Amardeep can you give me more tech details of the Calminis? What is the travel length?

I am speaking to someone here in Bangalore about the same actually and am in two minds to choose between these and the Bilstein's. Are you putting these on for a comfort ride or are they giving you more ride height etc? Are you changing all 4 or just the front? And also approximate cost please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks