Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 19:08   #91
BHPian

Drove my Pajero from Bangalore to Ladakh and back and had absolutely no issues with the vehicle. Very composed on the highway and at home in the mountains!! Had taken some essential spares which (thankfully) were not required.. Awesome vehicle and I enjoyed the drive immensely.
Old 13th June 2009, 12:20   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Drove my Pajero from Bangalore to Ladakh and back and had absolutely no issues with the vehicle. Very composed on the highway and at home in the mountains!! Had taken some essential spares which (thankfully) were not required.. Awesome vehicle and I enjoyed the drive immensely.
Wow! Bangalore to Ladakh sounds really good. Where are the pics and travelogues ?
Old 5th July 2009, 12:38   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Wow! Bangalore to Ladakh sounds really good. Where are the pics and travelogues ?
this is one wicked Pajero. fully decked out for off roading with a winch and a custom bumper. loved it.
EDIT: just realized this is not the sfx.
Attached Thumbnails
New Pajero SFX-img_5428.jpg  

New Pajero SFX-img_5429.jpg  

New Pajero SFX-img_5430.jpg  

New Pajero SFX-img_5431.jpg  

New Pajero SFX-img_5432.jpg  

Last edited by 14000rpm : 5th July 2009 at 12:40.
Old 6th July 2009, 01:14   #94
Senior - BHPian

WOW!! the alloys look sweet.
Old 6th July 2009, 13:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

This one still has 15 inch rims ? This model Pajero was sold in International markets from 1988 to 1992 till the new models took over.

But in the UAE the tyres were 265/70/R16.

Yes for 20 lakhs this vehicle is truely capable off road. The most capable offroader sold in India is Toyota Prado but there is a huge difference in Rs. 20 Lakhs and 45 Lakhs for the Prado. It seems Prado sales are down here, not too many units are being sold in these recessionary times.

What is the BHP and torque generated out of this 2800 cc Diesle engines.

The Pajeros I have driven had a 3000 cc V6 petrol churning out 200 bhp and a 3500 cc V6 that churned out 225 bhp.

Later in the newer version which is called a Shogun in India or a Montero in some markets besides Pajero a new Engine has been developed, its a 3800 cc V6.

However when tested the Prado with its 4000 cc V6, IGR FE Toyota engine of 265 bhp performed much much better.

A good offroading vehicle is the 2 Door SWB Pajero in various engine options, wonder if there is a market for it in India. It looks very very sporty indeed specially with the rear spoiler that comes standard in most SWB Pajeros.

Looks are a matter of subjective choice. THis particular model did come in two tone. Later in the two modles that followed this one in The Pajeros till 2003, the two tone styling was maintained, the bumpers, fenders, overfenders, mudflaps, trims were painted silver. The last two editions come largely single tone.

During that era in 1995 to 1999 even the Nissan Patrol and Isuzy Trooper came in predominant two tone.

If this model has a market in India, cheaper becsue its a discountinued model worldwide, the original design and paintwork, come here.

Last edited by desertfox : 6th July 2009 at 13:13.
Old 12th July 2009, 07:47   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It does have a decent engine, and a balanced ride + handling combination. The robust build can take all the abuse you throw at it.
Having said that about the abuse, I am sure that the car will last even longer without it! I say this because I find that a large number of people have no clue about things such as the center diff, what locking the center diff does, the need to keep the turbo spinning for sometime before shutting the engine down, being the top ones that come to mind. Given that, as a Pajero owner for year now, I hate to think that how they would be abused, unwittingly, by people who have bought them without really understanding 4x4 theory and practice. Driving it in the right manner, in the conditions that it is meant to be used in, is different. That is the kind of "abuse" that the robust build should have to contend with, not somebody who drives it on tarmac in 4HL, not knowing better. At least a blessing is that it is hard to engage that inadvertently. I would be worried about the little knobs that control this feature on the more modern cars, about inadvertent locking of the center diff.
Old 11th June 2013, 13:02   #97
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Pajero SFX

So am Bumping up this thread.

See a lot of SFX on the road even now and I happen to be among those who really liked the two tone colour scheme after a point of time. In this world of Silver, Black White and Grey vehicle the SFX do stand out when they pass you, and the build and paint quality of most of them seems quite good. Yes the earlier shape (pre SFX face lift) does seem very drab but the SFX looks quite good in my eyes (for a vehicle of that type - as in different from the Fortuner and Pajero Sport Type)

1) Is the Pajero a Modern Classic Now? - Discontinued - But then it really isn't modern and yet.

2) Are Preowned Pajero GLX / SFX not a better bet then say a new Mahindra Thar? In the looks department it is surely in the same league as the "Indian Jeep"?

3) Have people over time got so used to the two tone colour treatment to actually love it and want it?

4) What is the likely comparo between say a Merc E250 (1995-1998) vs. the Majero SFX (2008-20011). Yep the SFX would cost double the Merc to Buy but to Own? What about reliability? Don't they both have the same old world charm of a time when things were simpler.

5) Wouldn't a relatively newer SFX make more sense than Older LC (though with larger engines) and Older LR's. Why then do we run after a LR or LC vs the Pajero?

6) OK it is obvious that the Fortuner is way ahead in almost all relevant matters vs. the Pajero so it was in many ways only a pure fan who would buy a Pajero new in recent times (and there seem to have been quite a few) but now with the Pajero Sport out, is the SFX kind of like the First Gen (face lift) Honda City was after the newer second gen (in India) City was launched with poor dynamics etc.

Just sharing a few views above.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 19:54   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
So am Bumping up this thread...
ACM - Other than a Safari DiCOR, Pajero SFX is the only vehicle on Indian roads that manages to get my head turned every time it passes by Even Audis, LR's and Jaguars fail to do so. I have been ogling shamelessly at an SFX being parked in my office basement of late. I have been tempted many a times to get a pre-owned one (spent hours on online ads) but then the nightmares of unavailable parts, sparse service n/w, pathetically low fuel economy, etc drown that dream of mine! But as they say, love is blind and one of these days I might just pick one up!

It is a pity that this gem will soon become a relic. I still wonder what prevented Mitsu from giving it a new engine under that hood and cut down on the price to a more reasonable value. :(

Last edited by cool_dube : 15th June 2013 at 19:55.
Old 11th August 2014, 12:24   #99
BHPian

Hi ACM, did you finally buy the SFX? I am in the same boat now and have been thinking of buying a pre-owned SFX. Are spare parts an issue? Even the pre-owned ones seem expensive.

Quote:
So am Bumping up this thread.

See a lot of SFX on the road even now and I happen to be among those who really liked the two tone colour scheme after a point of time.

Just sharing a few views above.
Old 29th August 2014, 09:06   #100
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
ACM - Other than a Safari DiCOR, Pajero SFX is the only vehicle on Indian roads that But as they say, love is blind and one of these days I might just pick one up!

It is a pity that this gem will soon become a relic. I still wonder what prevented Mitsu from giving it a new engine under that hood and cut down on the price to a more reasonable value. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysm View Post
Hi ACM, did you finally buy the SFX? I am in the same boat now and have been thinking of buying a pre-owned SFX. Are spare parts an issue? Even the pre-owned ones seem expensive.
Nope did not pick one up. Instead went diametrically opp and got the ford ecosport for now. But some day the SFX would interest me.

The prices of preowned ones have not dropped much last year but possibly actual deals would be at a more reasonable price point.

The SFX is going to cost a lot more money and effort to service and maintain compared to say a 2009 fortuner or a 2012 Safari Storm. With lesser power and Fuel efficiency so one does needs to be in love with it.
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:32   #101
BHPian

Quote:
The prices of preowned ones have not dropped much last year but possibly actual deals would be at a more reasonable price point.

The SFX is going to cost a lot more money and effort to service and maintain compared to say a 2009 fortuner or a 2012 Safari Storm. With lesser power and Fuel efficiency so one does needs to be in love with it.
Completely agree on how much the second hand market for the SFX. The cheaper ones are either in bad shape or dodgy. The nicer ones are ridiculously over-priced! Which is good for those looking to sell but not so good for those looking to buy :P

Its been 2 weeks since I got my Pajero SFX and its been a great ownership experience so far.

Does anyone know where the Airbag sensors are located on the Pajero SFX? I'm think of getting an ARB bumper (or similar) on it but not so sure since it might mess up the airbag deployment in case of an accident.

Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 10:52   #102
BHPian

Anyone knows what's the true top speed of Pajero sfx ? BSIII and BS IV models ?

I see lot of conflicting reports on that. Some say 120kmph (Autocar test report - old ones) someone on youtube posted a video pajero doing 170kmph. I am seriously thinking of a used one. Not that i am going to drive at crazy speeds, but wanting to know the specs and capabilities.

Also, how good/bad is the last row comfort ? I drove one back in 2008, but never got to check the seat comfort of middle and last row.
Old 11th December 2015, 11:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Anyone knows what's the true top speed of Pajero sfx ? BSIII and BS IV models ?
While I haven't pushed the Pajero SFX to its limits as it was my cousin's car. I have taken it up to 100 KMPH and it feels comfortable doing those speeds. There was still some juice but I didn't push it.
Quote:
I see lot of conflicting reports on that. Some say 120kmph (Autocar test report - old ones) someone on Youtube posted a video pajero doing 170kmph.
Mate frankly the speed of 170 KMPH looks a bit optimistic unless one is driving the Dakar spec Pajero EVO. Most of the highways in India would restrict one's speed to 100-120 KMPH for a few minutes. Pajero SFX is very comfortable doing 100 KMPH continuously. If you are coming from a Sedan then you may feel some body roll at high speeds but from SUV standards the Pajero SFX is well planted and holds its ground.
Quote:
Also, how good/bad is the last row comfort ? I drove one back in 2008, but never got to check the seat comfort of middle and last row.
The middle row has decent space and comfort whereas the last row will be good for children and teenagers or even people with height less than 5 ft'. All the best for Pajero SFX hunting.
Old 11th December 2015, 14:48   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post

Mate frankly the speed of 170 KMPH looks a bit optimistic unless one is driving the Dakar spec Pajero EVO. Most of the highways in India would restrict one's speed to 100-120 KMPH for a few minutes. Pajero SFX is very comfortable doing 100 KMPH continuously. If you are coming from a Sedan then you may feel some body roll at high speeds but from SUV standards the Pajero SFX is well planted and holds its ground.

The middle row has decent space and comfort whereas the last row will be good for children and teenagers or even people with height less than 5 ft'. All the best for Pajero SFX hunting.
Coming from a safari dicor 2.2. I found couple of pajero's up for sale on olx. Never got a chance to test any of them beyond 60kmph - all short drives only. So i want to know the max it can do, for awareness sake. The SFX brochure does not talk about the top end. And whether anyone tested beyond 120kmph performance/ability of the pajero.
Old 11th December 2015, 16:39   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Coming from a safari dicor 2.2. I found couple of pajero's up for sale on olx. Never got a chance to test any of them beyond 60kmph - all short drives only. So i want to know the max it can do, for awareness sake. The SFX brochure does not talk about the top end. And whether anyone tested beyond 120kmph performance/ability of the pajero.
Dont own a pajero (have a fortuner), but gone for a long road trip with the tuna and the pajero. If you want to do beyond 120, I would not recommend the pajero. Particularly with AT tyres

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks