Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 02:19   #31
BHPian

Your current tyres are 6-16 NDT, their diameter is 28 inches. The tyre sizes I have suggested are 31 inch, so your GC will increase by 1.5 inch.

You will have to reduce the final drive ratio on the front AND rear axles, maybe install longer shackes to clear the wheelarches and reduce the steering angle to prevent fouling at the front end.

PS Dont go for A/T tyres, go only for M/T ones, ideally self cleaning.
Old 1st August 2008, 03:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
You will have to reduce the final drive ratio on the front AND rear axles, maybe install longer shackes to clear the wheelarches and reduce the steering angle to prevent fouling at the front end.

Thats a lot of tech jargons for me atleast at this point of time . How to reduce the final drive ratio? do i need to open the differentials? Longer shackes? is it available in market, or need to custome make it? How to reduce the steering angle? will it affect the turning radius? how good are M/T on roacky terrains? Sorry for lot of qustions but as i told you i am a novice on these topics.
Old 1st August 2008, 08:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Y
Whats the difference between A/T and M/T tyres?
Old 1st August 2008, 13:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Whats the difference between A/T and M/T tyres?
SUV Tire Maintenance

Pls read through this, explains the differences.
Old 1st August 2008, 13:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

thanks will read and get back!
Old 1st August 2008, 13:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Thats a lot of tech jargons for me atleast at this point of time . How to reduce the final drive ratio? do i need to open the differentials? Longer shackes? is it available in market, or need to custome make it? How to reduce the steering angle? will it affect the turning radius? how good are M/T on roacky terrains? Sorry for lot of qustions but as i told you i am a novice on these topics.
Your vehicle will have a final drive ratio of 4.88. If you upgrade to 31 inch tyres, you will have to reduce the final drive ratio to 5.375 to retain performance and speedo/odo accuracy. You need not change the differentials but the ring and pinion gear set (located around the differential) will have to be changed on both axles.

The larger tyres may foul with the wheel arches when the chassis rolls wrt the axles. Please check how the army MM550XDB with 31 tyres manages this. You can always get longer shackles fabricated. It is not a complicated job.

If you are going for 31-10.5R15 tyres, please use good quality 15-7/8 alloyes with suitable offset. The front tyres MAY foul with the leafspring at full lock, if so, you can reduce the steering angle by adjusting stopper bolts on the front axle. This will increase the turning radius somewhat.

Larger dia tyres will reduce your braking efficiency slightly, but that may be compensated by their greater width and contact patch.

This may sound like too much of a hasle, but it is worth it.

M/T tyres are great over rocks and everything else. A/T tyres are better than M/T tyres only in soft sand and over tarmac.
Old 1st August 2008, 14:19   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Thats a lot of tech jargons for me atleast at this point of time .
Just use the car and enjoy it offroad. You'll be surprised that most terrain you may end up using your vehicle on can be handled in 2wd mode. The standard config of your vehicle and the present 4x4 setup on your Jeep should be more than sufficient for the bulk of terrain you'll encounter barring very few occasions where you might desire additional aids.
Old 1st August 2008, 14:34   #38
BHPian

Quote:
IronWolf, that jeep belonged to Shekhar, i called shekhar, but the deal was already fixed, and i think he was about to hand it over to Vaspro next day. BTW i replied your PM
Quote:
Vaspro did someone use your pics or you selling?
This Jeep belonged to a Jeepthrills member Shekhar. He wanted to sell this jeep as he is eyeing to restore a .. well an exotic Jeep (read it vintage).

First i wanted to buy this, but due to my contraints i could not close the deal quickly. So i offered to help him sell this Jeep. I infact posted a classified add on team-bhp too. And Shekhar might have posted it on other sites. But 1 day after posting the add, i couldn't let go of this Jeep. So we finalized a deal . And i finally bought it, phew long story.

Quote:
Hey vaspro, you repainted the Jeep to white.
Quote:
Vaspro, the white looks a lot better than the old color.
Is the chassis shortened? Also like the tires.
This photo is quite old one, AFAIK it sported white color in 2007. Now its in Gold color, as seen on Samurai's Koorg OTR thread.

@Ironwolf: I think chassis not modified. Though my friend has spent countless hours in tweaking even the minute details in this steed (am i correct Samurai ;-))

I havent taken possession of it yet. I am waiting for my friend to return from his vacation next week. Then i will take thorough training from him before i possess it.

I am just waiting for next week..

Thanks
-Vaspro
Old 1st August 2008, 14:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post

....Though my friend has spent countless hours in tweaking even the minute details in this steed ....
He obviously had to, after putting in those monster tyres and the body lift .

In one of the OTR's (Ramanagram) his steering rod broke in two in the middle of the jungle/hills and he had a time of his life that day. Lucky for him that we had a very capable fellow who took the steering assembly out and then took it to Ramanagram for welding and then put it back.

One more time his steering rod broke and then he went in for a mod that has worked nicely till now.

It's a reasonably good MM540 and one that has been cared for. He wouldn't let even us -- fellow jeepers test his jeep.

So we see you soon in Bangalore OTR's vaspro. Just come along and you will get all the training you need for off-roading.

Looks like it's raining jeeps here and people getting hooked to off-roading. The more the merrier. May the 4x4 tribe grow.
Old 1st August 2008, 15:13   #40
BHPian

@Shahnawaz Khan: First, thank you very much for the warm welcome into Jeepers club. I would definetely join the next OTR in Bangalore and hope to learn a lot things from the collective wisdom of the guys like you.

Quote:
He obviously had to, after putting in those monster tyres and the body lift .
I heard that story too, i guess that's the part of the package of becoming a jeeper isnt it?

-Vaspro
Old 2nd August 2008, 00:30   #41
BHPian

Hey Sree,
Have you concluded the sale and finalized the purchase of the Jeep?

It would be a real shame to make all these plans and not have the sale go through.]]
Old 4th August 2008, 07:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Hey Sree,
Have you concluded the sale and finalized the purchase of the Jeep?

It would be a real shame to make all these plans and not have the sale go through.]]
Yes RedMM340, Just waiting for the acquisition, as i will be busy for somedays.

Sree
Old 6th August 2008, 21:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

this one is owned by a Friend from Jodhpur

I am not much of a Mahindra fan. But want to share this with fellow bhpians. This one is owned by a Friend from Jodhpur. Its a 2000 model XDP.

1998 MM550 XDB 4WD Joins Team-Bhp Family-front.jpg

1998 MM550 XDB 4WD Joins Team-Bhp Family-front1.jpg

1998 MM550 XDB 4WD Joins Team-Bhp Family-locking-hub.jpg

1998 MM550 XDB 4WD Joins Team-Bhp Family-back.jpg
Old 6th August 2008, 21:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thats one nice looking jeep, love the army look,what size the bridgestones on the jeep?
Old 6th August 2008, 23:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Thats one nice looking jeep, love the army look,what size the bridgestones on the jeep?
I think its 235/60R16 dueller.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks