Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2008, 23:55   #1
BHPian

1998 MM550 XDB 4WD Joins Team-Bhp Family

MM550XDB with 73bhp XD3P & 5-speed Gbox
Hello Off-Roaders,

I am sure some of you are familiar with the this thread i have posted in Modifications category.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...540-550-a.html

Thanks for all those Jeepers who gave me inputs. As you can notice, i just wanted a Posh looking Jeep for fun. But turning point was the day i first saw Coorg OTR event thread by Samurai. Within a few days, I finished watching all Indian OTR pictures and every single jeepthirills video in YouTube. Then I started looking for a 4WD Jeep. I was not very keen on Classic and CJ3B as I already have one CJ3B in my native. So the next option was Beloved MM540 4WD/550 4WD. I knew the Latter was so difficult to get. I tried all the possible ways to source one, but guess what, by the time I call the owner they might have already sold it or took advance from some one. The only option left out was take a 2WD and convert it 4WD, which I was almost finalized. And I lost my hope of getting a 5-speed 4WD MM550, and it was asking for too much where you cant evn find a good 4-speed 4WD. Then I tried to source it from Coorg and Vayanad without much success. That is when I got a call from one of my friend and he told that there is an MM540 for sale. Thought of purchasing it and adding the 4WD, I went there to Test drive it, Looked stock condition apart from an altered full body tailgate and neat interiors. And Decent looks. No modifications apart from a pair of Hella lights in front and one in back. Got it to take a drive, then I noticed there is 5th gear mark on the gear lever. I drove it and yes I engaged the 5th gear and I was jumping with joy came back after the drive, opened the hood, Boy!! That was a pretty neat engine and engine bay without any oil leak or rust. I checked the RC Book, and there you go!!! MM550 XDP(B), and found its 2.5 liter engine (2498). Paid the Adv today, and will fix the deal next week.

I am attaching some snaps with this, sorry for the poor quality of pictures as I shot it with my lousy mobile.

Now the price part, I am leaving it to you guys so please let me know how much its worth for. Any way, no regrets whatsoever.

Now about the Mods. I am not in a hurry, but the first preference goes to tyres, those stock ones look so small for this monster. Here are my options

1) Military specs wheels with MRF Sandgrips.

I don’t know how to source those wheels, I am sure it will be available at Mayapuri, Can anyone help me? From where i can get MRF Sandgrips? Is it available with MRF dealers since it’s a military supply as per their website. And please give an idea aboy the price of this. What differential ratios are recommended for this setup? Arka-The Jeep guru, please help me.

2) Gypsy Wheels with suitable (??) Radials

Please help me to find suitable options for this setup and how much it’s gonna coast me. Will there be any compromise in GC with setup? If so, how to compensate that?

3) Alloys with Suitable (??) Radials.

Which alloys and which radials, i don’t want to rub my tire against the Body when fully locked.

Finally, the roll over cage and padding, I am not planning to do it now, but suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you and looking forward to learn a lot from you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
1998 MM550 XDB 4WD Joins Team-Bhp Family-280708_142519mod.jpg  

1998 MM550 XDB 4WD Joins Team-Bhp Family-280708_142544mod2.jpg  

Last edited by aah78 : 31st July 2008 at 02:29. Reason: Spell check! Kindly read through post before pressing the Submit button.
Old 31st July 2008, 00:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Congrats, it is a very clean looking MM550. Even has free-wheeling hubs, the past owner must know Jeeps well.
Old 31st July 2008, 00:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations,man.
You've got yourself an elusive jeep. Acquire it ASAP before anyone makes the current owner greedy.
Old 31st July 2008, 00:54   #4
BHPian

Congratulation . Thats a nice one there !
Old 31st July 2008, 01:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations man. Finding one of these are rare and I am happy for you.

Stock MM550 XDB with the 5- Speed. Awsome !!
Old 31st July 2008, 01:45   #6
BHPian

Looks like a very clean Jeep!

I would suggest that you go ahead an buy it, then drive it, then make a plan for modifications. No need to immediately change the gearing, etc.

How many kilometers has it run? What is the asking price?
Old 31st July 2008, 01:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sree, I am just envious of you. I have been searching on free ads for couple of months now. You in bangalore went for a MM540 and scored a MM550?.

This is indeed a rare find. Congrads. Have PMed you. Please reply
Old 31st July 2008, 09:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Sree, CONGRATS.!!!! The paintwork the bodylines, everything on this jeep look absolutely wonderful. Looks like a great jeep.

One input: Any specific reason why you want the 'Sandgrip' tyres? I think the NDMS would be the best bet if OTR's around Bangalore is what you have in mind.

Second choice would BF-Goodrich A/T.

Congrats again and hope to see you soon in Bangalore OTR's.

@IronWolf: have you tried searching adpost.com? lots of jeeps there for sale.
Old 31st July 2008, 09:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thats one good fine example of MM550, congrats man, If you are serious Off roader than get the sandgrip, get in touch with the local MRF office [not the dealers]. Other option is BF-goodrich with 15inch wheel[ these can be sourced easily].
Old 31st July 2008, 09:51   #10
BHPian

Sreeraj, you have a beautiful ride there and the car looks so well kept and stock. By the way I'm a big fan of stock cars kept in it's orginal form.
Old 31st July 2008, 09:58   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You are one lucky guy! Not only did you end up with an MM550, but you thought you were testdriving a 540 at first. I cracked up on reading the "hey, I found a 5th gear" line. Congratulations.

That is an extremely clean looking 550. The only thing I don't like is the rear tailgate conversion, but then its easy to set back to original. I am with RedMM340. Don't mod her up just yet. Drive her for while and get to know her.

Happy offroading.
Old 31st July 2008, 09:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
... If you are serious Off roader than get the sandgrip, ....
You sure about this one. . have seen sandgrip in mud/slush OTR's and can say that their performance is not even 1/4th compared to NDMS.

In sand, it is sandgrip obviously and NDMS may not suffice.

Cheers,
Shahnawaz
Old 31st July 2008, 13:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
You sure about this one. . have seen sandgrip in mud/slush OTR's and can say that their performance is not even 1/4th compared to NDMS.

In sand, it is sandgrip obviously and NDMS may not suffice.
NDMS rocks period. Sand / Slush / water crossing. Even highway cruising if not going more than 60 kmph!

Even if you have a puncture, one can drive around in an NDMS!
Old 31st July 2008, 13:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Congratulations,man.
You've got yourself an elusive jeep. Acquire it ASAP before anyone makes the current owner greedy.
Yes nitrous i will acquire her ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Congratulations man. Finding one of these are rare and I am happy for you.

Stock MM550 XDB with the 5- Speed. Awsome !!
Yeah i know 4x4addict, it's indeed hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Looks like a very clean Jeep!

I would suggest that you go ahead an buy it, then drive it, then make a plan for modifications. No need to immediately change the gearing, etc.

How many kilometers has it run? What is the asking price?
Agreed RedMM340, let me drive her for some time. I will PM you about price

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Sree, I am just envious of you. I have been searching on free ads for couple of months now. You in bangalore went for a MM540 and scored a MM550?.

This is indeed a rare find. Congrads. Have PMed you. Please reply
IronWolf, i did not recive your PM. If you are looking for a 2WD you can get it easly in Bangalore. Let me know if you need any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Sree, CONGRATS.!!!! The paintwork the bodylines, everything on this jeep look absolutely wonderful. Looks like a great jeep.

One input: Any specific reason why you want the 'Sandgrip' tyres? I think the NDMS would be the best bet if OTR's around Bangalore is what you have in mind.

Second choice would BF-Goodrich A/T.

Congrats again and hope to see you soon in Bangalore OTR's.

@IronWolf: have you tried searching adpost.com? lots of jeeps there for sale.
@khan_sultan, the reason for a Tyre change is, it looks so small. I will try BF-Goodrich A/T. Any suggessions for a shop and how much will it coast? do i need to chage my Wheel for fixing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Sreeraj, you have a beautiful ride there and the car looks so well kept and stock. By the way I'm a big fan of stock cars kept in it's orginal form.
Thanks musicmanaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You are one lucky guy! Not only did you end up with an MM550, but you thought you were testdriving a 540 at first. I cracked up on reading the "hey, I found a 5th gear" line. Congratulations.

That is an extremely clean looking 550. The only thing I don't like is the rear tailgate conversion, but then its easy to set back to original. I am with RedMM340. Don't mod her up just yet. Drive her for while and get to know her.

Happy offroading.
Yes GTO i will drive her for some time. I just thought of sharing my Modd plans
Old 31st July 2008, 14:07   #15
BHPian

Congrats! Thats a great vehicle!

Why dont you go for 31-10.5R15 mud tyres from BFG or Yokohama, or 31-11.5R15 muds from maxxis? The yokos and maxxis are self cleaning directional tyres.

Most Viewed